Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Question about the O line...

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
NY_Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Age: 41
Posts: 838
Question about the O line...

I was watching the show Around the Horn and they were talking about Brunell being the starter....Don't know who the guys were but they mentioned something interesting to me....Gibbs won three superbowls with three qb's and three running backs...this is true. But what I never really realized was that those three superbowls were with one offensive line.

My question is...when Bugel took over and created the Hogs, how long was it before they were known as the Hogs? I don't think they were created overnight. And how many official Hogs were there...weren't there some replacements throughout Gibbs tenure?

My point is how long will it take for the current Dirtbags to develop under Bugel?

The guys on the show seemed to think that Portis and Brunel weren't enough for Gibbs to win another...I kind of agree.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-31-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
jermus22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Age: 31
Posts: 334
Post History of Gibbs' O-lines (for all football nerds)

I don't know when Bugel came up with the name "Hogs" but that line definitely changed during Gibbs' twelve years of coaching. The first group had Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Jeff Bostic, Mark May, and George Starke. We went to two Super Bowls with that group (the win over the Dolphins and the loss to the Raiders). When Starke finished with the 'Skins in the mid '80s, May shifted over to RT and the team acquired R. C. Thielmann (I think he had been with the Falcons). Raleigh McKenzie was also brought to the team and ended up starting at LG while Grimm replaced Bostic at center. It was an attempt to put more beef in the middle of the line to deal with nose tackles like Jim Burt of the Giants. By the time the 'Skins reached the Super Bowl against the Broncos, Bostic reclaimed his starting job and Grimm was a backup. The line stayed the same until Jay Schroeder was traded for Jim Lachey in '88 and Mark Schlereth was drafted (I think in '89). The team parted ways with Thielman and May, moved Jacoby to RT, Schlereth to RG, and Lachey to LT. In the '91 campaign, there was additional shifting on the line (Jacoby spent some time at LG and Ed Simmons saw time at RT) but the unit ended up being Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, and Jacoby for the Super Bowl (interesting note: this unit gave up only nine sacks all year, one of the fewest totals in history). As you can see, we did NOT have the same line for every Super Bowl. Only Jacoby, Bostic, and Grimm came from the original o-line and Grimm was a backup in that third SB. We can expect to see plenty of shifting along the line while Gibbs is around. One thing is definite: they will be AWESOME!
__________________
Win it in the trenches.
jermus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
As is my understanding the Hogs began in the summer of 1982. And the original members were Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, May, Starke, Walker and Warren. I saw ATH as well and jermus is right there wasn't one line. Some guys were there for all three but it wasn't the same line for each title:

I think we got Thielemann from the Falcons for Charile Brown right? And we stole Jim Lachey from those same Falcons for Jay Schroeder
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Special Teams
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 277
Actually we traded Jay Schroeder to the Los Angeles Raiders for Jim Lachey.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Actually we traded Jay Schroeder to the Los Angeles Raiders for Jim Lachey.
Oh right! But Lachey was a Falcon wasn't he?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
Impact Rookie
 
CRT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rockville
Age: 51
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermus22
Raleigh McKenzie was also brought to the team and ended up starting at LG while Grimm replaced Bostic at center. It was an attempt to put more beef in the middle of the line to deal with nose tackles like Jim Burt of the Giants.
Grimm went to center as Bostic had blown out a knee. The line shifted around quite a bit due to injuries and not incable play. Lachey actually replace Jacoby due to Jacobys inability to stay on the field. When he was hurt he was hurt. Like the rest of the hogs they played thru injuries but major injuries caused major shifts in the line. Here is a list of all the hogs
Joe Jacoby, George Starke, Russ Grimm, Jeff Bostic, Mark May, Jim Lachey
Raleigh Mackenzie, Mark Schlereth, Don Warren, Rick Walker, and John Riggins
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:02 PM   #7
Fight for old DC!
 
Redskins_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Falls Church, VA
Age: 36
Posts: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Actually we traded Jay Schroeder to the Los Angeles Raiders for Jim Lachey.

One of the best trades in Redskins history!
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:56 PM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
NY_Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Age: 41
Posts: 838
Guys, thanks for the history...
It didn't seem right that there was only one o-line for all three superbowls...
Goes to show you how much the guys on that Around the Horn show really don't know.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:59 PM   #9
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,497
Seriously, somtimes I cant stand these reporters. Its almost pointless to read thier crap. They dont know what they are talkin about. Honestly I think most of the people on this board know more about the skins than 90% of the reporters.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,246
thats because they have to know something about every team in every sport (nba/hockey/football/soccer/baseball/golf/tennis)... if you had to keep track of 150+ teams, you wouldn't know as much as someone who spent most of their time with a single team

but as far as all their predictions and analysis, a lot of it is very thin and made up on the spot off of very little information...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:25 AM   #11
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 33
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Skinsfan
Guys, thanks for the history...
It didn't seem right that there was only one o-line for all three superbowls...
Goes to show you how much the guys on that Around the Horn show really don't know.
so much for the all mighty stat boy. the scwaub probably would have put whoever said that in their place though, lol.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:30 AM   #12
Impact Rookie
 
NY_Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Age: 41
Posts: 838
it was the stat boy who said it...
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:35 AM   #13
Special Teams
 
huntz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 57
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
Oh right! But Lachey was a Falcon wasn't he?
Lachey entered the league with San Diego in '85, went to LAR for a game in '88, played the other 15 games for Washington in '88 and spent the rest of his career in a 'Skins uni till '95.
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
memphisskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 958
I think we already have a solid foundation in place, the only question mark after this year will be what we do with at LT. I look for this unit to really hit its stride in midseason.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #15
Pro Bowl
 
SKINSnCANES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Age: 32
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermus22
I don't know when Bugel came up with the name "Hogs" but that line definitely changed during Gibbs' twelve years of coaching. The first group had Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Jeff Bostic, Mark May, and George Starke. We went to two Super Bowls with that group (the win over the Dolphins and the loss to the Raiders). When Starke finished with the 'Skins in the mid '80s, May shifted over to RT and the team acquired R. C. Thielmann (I think he had been with the Falcons). Raleigh McKenzie was also brought to the team and ended up starting at LG while Grimm replaced Bostic at center. It was an attempt to put more beef in the middle of the line to deal with nose tackles like Jim Burt of the Giants. By the time the 'Skins reached the Super Bowl against the Broncos, Bostic reclaimed his starting job and Grimm was a backup. The line stayed the same until Jay Schroeder was traded for Jim Lachey in '88 and Mark Schlereth was drafted (I think in '89). The team parted ways with Thielman and May, moved Jacoby to RT, Schlereth to RG, and Lachey to LT. In the '91 campaign, there was additional shifting on the line (Jacoby spent some time at LG and Ed Simmons saw time at RT) but the unit ended up being Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, and Jacoby for the Super Bowl (interesting note: this unit gave up only nine sacks all year, one of the fewest totals in history). As you can see, we did NOT have the same line for every Super Bowl. Only Jacoby, Bostic, and Grimm came from the original o-line and Grimm was a backup in that third SB. We can expect to see plenty of shifting along the line while Gibbs is around. One thing is definite: they will be AWESOME!
great summary, thanks.
__________________
"I'm used to winning, coming from the University of Miami. " Clinton Portis
SKINSnCANES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29738 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25