Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Special Teams
 
-Om-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 112
Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Steady As She Goes
Oct. 1, 2008

These are heady times for Redskins fans. And why not … a quarter of the way into the season, their team is 3-1, with a bullet, and they’re aglow from as satisfying a win over their silver-and-blue nemesis as any in recent memory.

The times are also a little confusing. Long accustomed to false starts and dashed hopes, Redskins fans are also asking themselves one key question … is this for real? Are the 3-1 Redskins the contender they appeared to be going on the road and pushing around America’s Drama Queens, or are they just the Flavor-of-the-Week?

We all know about the FOW … hell, Arizona came here two weeks ago practically dripping of it.

Well, making an objective decision about what’s really going on here hasn’t been easy. Everywhere you look these days, the people who bring you the FOW are doing their level best to make our heads spin.

Whether it’s Sagarin’s computer concluding the Redskins are the league’s best team, or the NFL’s official site splashed with burgundy and gold, or even the latest power rankings … Redskins fans who who follow the league on a daily basis are finding their favorite team getting love just about everywhere. Hell, the cranky old weather vanes hosting local sportstalk radio calling the Redskins “we” already.

Of course, as thinking Redskins fans, we know better than to buy into the hype. Thing is, the Redskins themselves haven’t exactly been making objectivity easy, either. In fact, if you let yourself “go there,” it’s not hard to make the case that all things burgundy and gold seem to be falling together ...

CLICK HERE to read more
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Great read. I am very optimistic right now; we look much stronger than the 3-1 teams we fielded in past years. That said, we need to remain grounded. Thanks for reminding people that, if we lose another game this season, don't freak out and panic.....stay grounded.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Special Teams
 
-Om-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 112
Re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Great read. I am very optimistic right now; we look much stronger than the 3-1 teams we fielded in past years. That said, we need to remain grounded. Thanks for reminding people that, if we lose another game this season, don't freak out and panic.....stay grounded.
Thanks, Sheriff.

Just wrote this in a comment on the blog, but to me it bears repeating:

The one thing I keep coming back to as THE big difference between this year's start and the quick-starting teams of recent years is the play we're getting at QB. We haven't had anyone play at this level since the first half of '99 and Brad Johnson.

To be honest, the rest of the team doesn't look all that different to than the past couple of years. Better organized and less conservative offensively, but still not all that different.

I'll keep writing it 'til I'm blue in the face---when your QB is at Pro Bowl level, unless the rest of your team is just plain lousy, you're going to win.

Got my fingers crossed that Jason has officially turned the corner and moved in, and isn't just visiting in this swanky new neighborhood.

*

Argh. Any chance some merciful mod could edit the thread title? "On Field."
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

I think the difference this year is Zorn. Our defense has pretty much carried us in the past even though we had good personel on offense. Gibbs started out with his old style of "O" and we even went to the playoff's with it. But the very next year we bring in Saunders and quite honestly, we looked pretty confused about what our gameplan was. Too many cooks in the kitchen with a very complicated receipe. The receipe being Saunders "O", the cooks being Gibbs, Saunders, and even a little "Buges" trying to help. I love Joe Gibbs and give him credit for putting the "core" of this team together and having a positive influence on this team and Front Office. But this is Jim Zorns time. The problems we had in the past, are in the past. There's a new sheriff in town and he appears to be just what this team needed. He knows offense, he knows it well, he brings excitement, he's a competitor with the right kind of demeanor for the job. He's one hell of a teacher and I think this is a perfect situation for him and the team. I'm very excited about this team and coaching staff. I think we are in the right hands and even though there MAY be a few bumps along the way, I have full confidence in our coach to handle any situations that may come his way. He is a nice guy, but I would'nt want to cross him. Ask Durant Brooks.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,358
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I think the difference this year is Zorn. Our defense has pretty much carried us in the past even though we had good personel on offense. Gibbs started out with his old style of "O" and we even went to the playoff's with it. But the very next year we bring in Saunders and quite honestly, we looked pretty confused about what our gameplan was. Too many cooks in the kitchen with a very complicated receipe. The receipe being Saunders "O", the cooks being Gibbs, Saunders, and even a little "Buges" trying to help. I love Joe Gibbs and give him credit for putting the "core" of this team together and having a positive influence on this team and Front Office. But this is Jim Zorns time. The problems we had in the past, are in the past. There's a new sheriff in town and he appears to be just what this team needed. He knows offense, he knows it well, he brings excitement, he's a competitor with the right kind of demeanor for the job. He's one hell of a teacher and I think this is a perfect situation for him and the team. I'm very excited about this team and coaching staff. I think we are in the right hands and even though there MAY be a few bumps along the way, I have full confidence in our coach to handle any situations that may come his way. He is a nice guy, but I would'nt want to cross him. Ask Durant Brooks.
Are we forgetting the injuries sustained and the ST tragedy from last year? I think the difference this year is that Campbell despite learning a new offense is now a 4 year experienced vet, we have a complete healthy OL, our D is healthy and improved in what was a weakness the DB's (Horton, Moore, healthy Springs, Rogers recovery, improved Torrence) the addition of Taylor, one more year of experience for Golston, Montgomery and Wilson, a solid draft. I know that if Gibbs would have come back and we had the same draft that we would make the SB this year. I'm not taking anything away from Zorn whom I love but I wouldn't say Gibbs was our stumbling block. Maybe Zorn will takes us to the SB, I hope so.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 10-02-2008 at 12:14 AM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

I'm not saying Gibbs was the stumbling block. But Saunders might have been. I think most of the players would tell you they are excited about this offense. I doubt Jason would be having this good of a year with Saunders still here. I personally give Zorn a lot of credit for that. I don't know that the defense is playing better than last year and none of the draft has contributed much to the offense so far. They will, but they have'nt yet. The defense has played well but ALOT of credit for our record has to go to the offense. And to this point , the draft has had nothing to do with our offensive output. And remember, we had Sean the first 4 games last year. That had nothing to do with how out of sync our offense appeared. I am not saying anything derogatory about Gibbs, he brought us 3 super bowl trophies and my admiration for him goes way beyond the field. I AM saying we would have been better off without Saunders and Zorn has done a hell of a job and I'm glad he's our coach.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Is this blog by the same guy who's a mod on ExtremeSkins?
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Special Teams
 
-Om-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 112
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Is this blog by the same guy who's a mod on ExtremeSkins?
No ... the same guy who used to be a mod on ES. Doing my own thing these days.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,378
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I'm not saying Gibbs was the stumbling block. But Saunders might have been. I think most of the players would tell you they are excited about this offense. I doubt Jason would be having this good of a year with Saunders still here. I personally give Zorn a lot of credit for that. I don't know that the defense is playing better than last year and none of the draft has contributed much to the offense so far. They will, but they have'nt yet. The defense has played well but ALOT of credit for our record has to go to the offense. And to this point , the draft has had nothing to do with our offensive output. And remember, we had Sean the first 4 games last year. That had nothing to do with how out of sync our offense appeared. I am not saying anything derogatory about Gibbs, he brought us 3 super bowl trophies and my admiration for him goes way beyond the field. I AM saying we would have been better off without Saunders and Zorn has done a hell of a job and I'm glad he's our coach.
I think if Saunders had stayed on, right now we would be in a bitter QB controversy (unless Gibbs did what Zorn did and said JC is the starter, period). And it would have been a huge distraction for the media. I give a ton of credit to JG for his 2nd go here, and now its time to see what Zorn can do with what JG2 produced. So far I would say its in good hands.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
doughtydoubter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the glorious city of DC
Posts: 697
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLandry View Post
I have to disagree with you. Zorn has brought innovation, aggressiveness, accountability and discipline to this team. Zorns offensive philosophy is pass first, spread the ball around to open up the run. (a lot of our big runs come on draws and delays). He has shown us that he doesn't want to sit on a lead and rely on our defense every game. This theory has proven to be ineffective. (This franchise set an NFL record with blown first half leads). A good run game and defense might have won a championship 20 years ago. In today's NFL, high-octane, aggressive offensive schemes win. Zorn has also showed that he is willing to adapt his offense to his players as opposed to forcing the players into a system. Saunders had a 700 page playbook that was based on timing and a lot of pass protection vs. Zorns simplified west coast hybrid involving a lot of quick, short route passing to combat today's blitz-happy defenses. Conservative play calling and "hoping" to win will only get you so far. I certainly don't mean to diminish what Gibbs has done for this organization. His direction has brought us the players we have today, but now we have the coaching to realize the potential.
Well said...gibbs was what held us back..his conservative attitude was frustrating for many players on the offensive side of the ball..Im not saying Zorn is the end all beat all...but...i like his innovation and perhaps the fact that because he is a rookie head coach, he is more inclined to take chances and run up the score.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Om- View Post
Thanks, Sheriff.

Just wrote this in a comment on the blog, but to me it bears repeating:

The one thing I keep coming back to as THE big difference between this year's start and the quick-starting teams of recent years is the play we're getting at QB. We haven't had anyone play at this level since the first half of '99 and Brad Johnson.

To be honest, the rest of the team doesn't look all that different to than the past couple of years. Better organized and less conservative offensively, but still not all that different.

I'll keep writing it 'til I'm blue in the face---when your QB is at Pro Bowl level, unless the rest of your team is just plain lousy, you're going to win.

Got my fingers crossed that Jason has officially turned the corner and moved in, and isn't just visiting in this swanky new neighborhood.

*

Argh. Any chance some merciful mod could edit the thread title? "On Field."

No doubt. What would have turned the 2005 Skins into SB contenders IMO? A playmaker at QB. That simple. We had MB, of course, and he "managed the games" but he had no downfield playmaking ability.

This year JC has made plays and thats what it takes to win in the NFL.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Special Teams
 
SCRedskinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 394
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Just a thought: We're doing all this without contribution from the two "stud" wide receivers we drafted in the second round. If I remember correctly, we were looking for some contribution from them, at least later in the season.

Great discussion on this thread -- we may all be Redskins fans in fair weather and foul, but it's a lot more fun when they're winning...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
doughtydoubter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the glorious city of DC
Posts: 697
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Just a thought: We're doing all this without contribution from the two "stud" wide receivers we drafted in the second round. If I remember correctly, we were looking for some contribution from them, at least later in the season.

Great discussion on this thread -- we may all be Redskins fans in fair weather and foul, but it's a lot more fun when they're winning...
I hope one of the two stud recievers can get on page soon...im looking to thomas. If campbell is gonna be out franchise qb (and at this rate that seems like a real possibility) he needs to build a rapport with the guys they envision to stick around for awhile.
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
Special Teams
 
-Om-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 112
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
I hope one of the two stud recievers can get on page soon...im looking to thomas. If campbell is gonna be out franchise qb (and at this rate that seems like a real possibility) he needs to build a rapport with the guys they envision to stick around for awhile.
To be honest, I'm actually glad (now that last year's starters are kicking ass) that Thomas, Davis and Kelly have been able to stay under the radar. They're at practice, in the film room, at meetings, on the sidelines getting a feel for game speed ... absorbing.

Being able to bring the puppies along slowly is a luxury I don't think any of us expected.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Impact Rookie
 
doughtydoubter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the glorious city of DC
Posts: 697
re: Om Field: Steady As She Goes

if i had to hear the praise of "fighting their guts out" one more time i was gonna cry..i agree plus enough cant be said about his aggresiveness and creativity. It must be a breath o fresh air after the gibbs 2.0 regime
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35195 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25