Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Thinking back to all the hoopla over Mason not being on the final roster. Do you think we should go after Mason off the Ravens squad or is it too late since we signed Alexander? Mason already has been with the team and knows the team schemes and players well. Should we have picked up Mason before we got a washed up Shaun Alexander whom no one else in the entire league picked up?

Does this depend on how long LB will be out?

Your thoughts..
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,969
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

They considered it and went with Alexander instead.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Special Teams
 
heybigstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 30
Posts: 370
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

You know -- I realize I am no expert -- but upside to Mason is that he could be a potential long term answer, where as Alexander is only a short-term solution at best.
__________________
Hail to the Redskins.
heybigstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Marcus Mason is the new Colt Brennan on here I see.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Fight for old DC!
 
Redskins_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Falls Church, VA
Age: 36
Posts: 4,086
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

No. Even though Mason may have more upside, I still think we made the right decision with SA. Plus, why do we need a back with upside when we have 3 that are under the age of 28? Its not like Portis and Betts are getting old.

Shaun Alexander knows the system, and the coaching staff and has tons of experience. If he comes in and stinks it up, then we just cut him. I so no harm in that.

Plus, Mason isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

I think also Mason only really had a chance to replace Rock. With our pass blocking allready kinda of a weakness i dont think we could take the chance of putting Mason back there.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Marcus Mason is the new Colt Brennan on here I see.
Why do we need a back with upside? Upside means they have the ability to get better not just thier age. Mason could be a valuable asset in the future. RB playing span in the league isn't that long, i.e. Shuan Alexander. He has peaked and is dwindling. Mason hasn't even peaked yet and is young with fresh legs and talent to boot. Upside is not just youth. Plus Rock obviously is not going to be running the ball that much. Maybe next game a couple of carries but I will bet anything they will slide in Alexander quickly. I am afraid that speaks a lot to their faith in Rock as the 2nd back.

He is not the new Colt Brennan. No one wants him to start or saying he is better than the starter. That is the big difference. No one is saying..let start mason over CP like people said about JC and Colt. SO that is not a good comparison. Duh!! People who were saying Colt over JC..have egg on face..Want some bacon and toast to go with that..??
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

^

If Mason were on the team, they'd be asking for him to replace Betts. You know it.

He seems to be appearing in every thread, that's more of the correlation I was making.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Fight for old DC!
 
Redskins_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Falls Church, VA
Age: 36
Posts: 4,086
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
I am afriad that speaks a lot to their faith in Rock as the 2nd back.
I think it speaks more to Rocks value as a special teamer/kick retuner. If Rock goes down with an injury, then who is going return kicks? Better yet, who would then be our 3rd string back? Do you really want Mason returning kicks? After his performance as a kick returner in preseason? I know I wouldn't trust him. Not yet at least.

Look I'm just as much of a fan Mason as everyone else. I just think that SA brings much more experience and knowledge of the offense.

If Mason has so much upside, then why haven't the Ravens brought him up from the PS? And we all know that they need help at RB.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
^

If Mason were on the team, they'd be asking for him to replace Betts. You know it.

He seems to be appearing in every thread, that's more of the correlation I was making.
That could be a possibility. But I hope it would have to do more with performance and that Mason was put in the game and showed more shiftiness and YAC than Betts. Betts is a good north and south runner. But when it comes to him making a defender miss he is not that good. But He picks up some good yards every now and then. He just doesn't have that much speed. But Betts is not the starter. CP is so Mason can't be compared to the start Colt over JC bs.

Where have all the Colt fans gone??? lol
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,319
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Why do we need a back with upside? Upside means they have the ability to get better not just thier age. Mason could be a valuable asset in the future. RB playing span in the league isn't that long, i.e. Shuan Alexander. He has peaked and is dwindling. Mason hasn't even peaked yet and is young with fresh legs and talent to boot. Upside is not just youth.
While I agree with your assessment of Shaun Alexander, where is the proof that Mason is so much better? Because he looked good against scrubs in preseason? He couldn't even crack the practice squad in Washington, and can't even beat out the sorry ass backup running backs in Baltimore for a roster spot. Obviously, he doesn't look as good to multiple coaching staff's as he did in preseason.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Special Teams
 
Ade Jimoh Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 410
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Of all the positions on our team to be worried about - RB is not it.

Plus, I think you're missing the point. Betts will only be out a few games, and will get his job back when he returns. We got Alexander for the vet min - no trading draft picks or nothing. If he shows flashes, we'll have gotten a great steal. If he doesn't, see ya later! No worries.
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
While I agree with your assessment of Shaun Alexander, where is the proof that Mason is so much better? Because he looked good against scrubs in preseason? He couldn't even crack the practice squad in Washington, and can't even beat out the sorry ass backup running backs in Baltimore for a roster spot. Obviously, he doesn't look as good to multiple coaching staff's as he did in preseason.
What team did we sign Alexander from? Exactly!!
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Jimoh Fan Club View Post
Of all the positions on our team to be worried about - RB is not it.

Plus, I think you're missing the point. Betts will only be out a few games, and will get his job back when he returns. We got Alexander for the vet min - no trading draft picks or nothing. If he shows flashes, we'll have gotten a great steal. If he doesn't, see ya later! No worries.
http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...eleased-4.html (Shaun Alexander released by Seahawks)

True..I agree..but would signing a pratice squad player warrant a hefty price tag...?

Its basically comes down to this. Zorn knows Alexander so I am sure he knows what he is doing. Case closed.

Did any teams work out Alexander at all? I think a few did. What were the reports on that? Anyone know?
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Last edited by dmvskinzfan08; 10-15-2008 at 11:20 AM.
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,735
Re: Should we have signed Mason off Ravens PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Thinking back to all the hoopla over Mason not being on the final roster. Do you think we should go after Mason off the Ravens squad or is it too late since we signed Alexander? Mason already has been with the team and knows the team schemes and players well. Should we have picked up Mason before we got a washed up Shaun Alexander whom no one else in the entire league picked up?

Does this depend on how long LB will be out?

Your thoughts..
It's been repeated quite frequently here and in the news that the main reason he was let go was because he didn't pick up the offense so he was really a liability. So no, he didn't know the schemes.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28458 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25