Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Polamalu Speaks Out

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,626
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I agree, he is not a cheap shot artist. Tough guys like Polamalu that hit hard are some times accused of it because they always play so hard. They never let up.
I can't remember where I saw it, but a survey of players recently said the dirtiest players were Rodney Harrison, Antonio Pierce, and Roy Williams

As for Polamalu's comments, first JW is right that really more should be made about the refs' role in all this. Secondly, this is a business with much bigger and stronger players than just 20 years ago. You can't just let them play without some guidelines in place to protect the players and in turn protect the business
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Its just the essence of what NFL football is, Polamalu said. You dont want to get into a sport that loses the core mentality. Its like playing basketball and, `Oh, you cant body somebody up. You cant touch them. You can only play defense from a foot out. It takes away from the real athleticism of the sport. football loses its identity.

^ That's the same analogy that I was going to make ^

Face it, helmet to helmet will happen every now and again, you can't completely control your contact and the other person's reaction right beforehand leading up to the contact points. But then things like Brady going down and other QB's in the past getting hurt make these rules "necessary" to the NFL.

I definitely agree that non-penalized plays shouldn't bring fines, unless a penalty was grossly missed. Too much incidental contact is bringing fines just because someone was sore the next day from the hit.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Goodell has taken the right approach since he took over. The league is too valuable to let a few punks and thugs ruin the league's image. I applaud his tough stance on character issues.
Do you think that anybody is going to stop watching football.. or not start, because of that?

Couldn't you say that people in the media too much running their mouths are looking like even worse representatives?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,314
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Goodell has taken the right approach since he took over. The league is too valuable to let a few punks and thugs ruin the league's image. I applaud his tough stance on character issues.
I agree in general but what I think TP was saying was the league is going too far to protect players.

This is a violent game, The contact shouldn't be removed from the game.
You have to be able to layout a WR going over the middle, I don't know how you do that if you get fined and suspended everytime someone goes down.

There is a big difference between a dirty shot and a clean hit that ends up hurting someone

No one player is bigger than the sport. No one outside of boston cares that Brady is gone for the year.

They need to stop overprotecting players.

and players arent that much bigger or stronger than inthe 90s, let's atleast get back to those contact rules.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #20
Camp Scrub
 
RJ2kWJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 36
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Reason number 15,861 why college ball is better and more exciting than pro ball.


No fines for FOOTBALL.

Completely agree with Troy. He is an amazing playmaker and he NEVER lets up.

At the same time I love what Roger has done as the Commish but this situation is blown out of proportion. Let them play. Protect the QB a certain amount but damn... you can't protect everybody to that extent.

Leaving shortly for DC for the Browns game... Go SKINS!!!
RJ2kWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #21
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,224
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Do you think that anybody is going to stop watching football.. or not start, because of that?

Couldn't you say that people in the media too much running their mouths are looking like even worse representatives?
I never watch NBA because of the thugs and punks. And, if you look at their ratings a lot of people in America are also tuning out more and more. An hour of the NFL draft gets higher ratings than an NBA Finals game.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #22
The Starter
 
rypper11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 1,224
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I agree in general but what I think TP was saying was the league is going too far to protect players.

This is a violent game, The contact shouldn't be removed from the game.
You have to be able to layout a WR going over the middle, I don't know how you do that if you get fined and suspended everytime someone goes down.

There is a big difference between a dirty shot and a clean hit that ends up hurting someone

No one player is bigger than the sport. No one outside of boston cares that Brady is gone for the year.

They need to stop overprotecting players.

and players arent that much bigger or stronger than inthe 90s, let's atleast get back to those contact rules.
I agree. If Laron had said the same things we would all be 100% behind him.
__________________
Playing a kids game for a kings ransom.
rypper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
Impact Rookie
 
SeasonTicketHolder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maryland
Age: 27
Posts: 549
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

I think I can see it both ways. On one hand, I don't like how much the NFL protects players, QB's in particular. Football is football, and you signed up to play it. Obviously certain plays are out of line, but incidental helmet to helmet contact? That shouldn't automatically be a 15 yard first down and fine. You can't hit certain players too high or too low. I think it really takes away from football is all about.

On the other hand, though, if one of our beloved Redskins got hurt with one of these so called "out of line" plays, I'm sure we'd all be demanding the full extent of the Goodell's wrath to come. In the end it's just a really tough argument either way.
__________________
Gonzaga College High School '04
Loyola College '08
SeasonTicketHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #24
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,232
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
I usually refute statements like this with facts... but in this case (and watching Troy P. since college), I'll just say- you're wrong.

lol since your a USC fan you probaly saw that f'in POS palamolu clearly deck a guy who called for a fair catch and was waiting for the ball in college. if you forgot about that why dont you youtube it and tell that wasnt a cheap shot with intent to injure that did injure the player.

and he does bend guys back in a pile after the whistle among other things . . . just youtube the guy for visual facts or google him and "dirty" to see what other nfl players say about him. its not just my opinion.

i guess well have to agree to disagree my USC friend.

go skins!! palamulu is a POS lil b%$ch and i like the steelers.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ac-JYp25Bx0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ac-JYp25Bx0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

im not good at links to videos but announcers said the guy who he cheap shotted had thrown palamalu down twice in the game and they were jawwing each other and then . . . .palamalu cheap shots the guy in revenge and injures him . . . hes a POS

Last edited by over the mountain; 10-18-2008 at 11:22 AM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,085
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Do you think that anybody is going to stop watching football.. or not start, because of that?

Couldn't you say that people in the media too much running their mouths are looking like even worse representatives?
Um yeah, ask the NBA
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,419
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2kWJ View Post
Reason number 15,861 why college ball is better and more exciting than pro ball.

YouTube - #14 Kyle Jefferson Takes A Big Hit - Mich State @ Wisconsin

No fines for FOOTBALL.

Completely agree with Troy. He is an amazing playmaker and he NEVER lets up.

At the same time I love what Roger has done as the Commish but this situation is blown out of proportion. Let them play. Protect the QB a certain amount but damn... you can't protect everybody to that extent.

Leaving shortly for DC for the Browns game... Go SKINS!!!
legal hit if you ask me.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,504
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

Polamalu's argument breaks down when he discusses the greats of the past like Butkus. The game has changed since Butkus played. Players are both much bigger AND much faster. Therefore the chance of someone getting hurt is much higher now. I can understand how the rules would change as the game itself has.

That being said, some of the penalties and fines have been ridiculous. Polamalu is right when he says the game has become too much like touch football. Perhaps the NFL has gone too far to protect players.

Football is about hitting people. You take your chances when you sign up.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,847
Re: Polamalu Speaks Out

It is all about ratings, money and greed. The NFL has to be careful.
What was the announcement this week? The first $1,000 Super bowl Tickets? Something like that?
All at a time when corporate NFL and NFLPA are balking at pitching in more money to help former players that do not have enough money for health care. According to ESPN the NFL is generating over $6 billion in annual revenue. Do they really care about the health of the players or are they greedy?
I would say they care about their ratings and their wallets.
This is about protecting certain players.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27839 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25