Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Humble Pie and New Insights

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Camp Scrub
 
Skins4Eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 73
Humble Pie and New Insights

Good Evening Fellow Skins Fans

Before I begin I will own up to my apparent shorsightedness regarding Jason Campbell. I gave a highly critical review of his performance as well as his future as a potential elite QB in this league. Several members on the site blasted me as they thought that by me stating my football resume as well as expertise on the offensive side of things that I was somehow trying to use that to construct a a view that could not be argued. This was not my attempt and sincerely apologize if anyone took my post in that way. With that being said, I was just offered the interim position as one of the assistants to the Director of Recruitment for the Shrine Bowl game this year. (I figured that would get a rise out of those who blasted my post last time. Lol) Back to my thoughts:

1. Jason Campbell: He has proven that he can effectively manage and run the WCO. He is making good decisions and has learned to make his reads and work through his progressions. However, it is my opinion that in order to take the next step in his career as well as take this team to the next level, he must win a game without a rushing onslaught from Portis. If you will notice his stats, Portis's best statistical games are also Jason's best games. Easy to run an offense when you have a back like Portis. However, what I observed in the Pittsburgh game is his inability to "take a game over" when the other team has made a concerted effort to stop Portis. He has had flashes on particular plays, but I would love to see him rip a another secondary apart consistently.

2. DeAngelo Hall: I almost fell out of my chair at the repeated references to him as depth. Oakland is and has been for sometime the a graveyard for talent. He is a young two-time pro bowler and one of the more gifted athletes in this league at any position. He has 20 career picks (3 in a "down" year). Carlos Rogers has 5 in 4 years; Fred Smoot has 21 in 8 years; and Shawn Springs has 31 in 12 years. Do the math. The signing of De Angelo Hall was an asbolute steal and brilliant move. Yes, he has been an idiot but to deny or underestimate his talent is insanity. We cannot buy an interception and we have a guy who is an absolute game-changer that will be coming off the bench. The word depth is not only insulting but innaccruate when referring to one of the most productive DB's in this league over the past 5 years. Facts do not support the word "depth" when referring to DeAngelo Hall. If he keeps his mouth shut and ends up signing with us long term; we are set to have one of the more talented and gifted corner duos in the league for years to come with him and a continuously progressing Carlos Rogers.

3. Jim Zorn and offensive staff: Offense is my game. Zorn has done a phenomenal job with this team and this offense, especially Jason Campbell. However, one obvious weakness in our team is the inability to conver in the redzone which has cost us two games this year. The problem is simple...we have no redzone identity. We run a beautiful and effecient Bill Walsh style offense until we get to the twenty and then we are unable to close the deal. Inexplicable when you have a player the caliber of a Chris Cooley who should have atleast 5 to 6 more touchdowns considering the amount of time we have spent in the redzone this year. More obvious in this area is that we simply do not have the right personnel on the field. Moss and ARE are great from 20 to 20 because they are small and have more field in which to use their spedd and athleticism. Howevr, the redzone are is much more congested and much more difficult for smaller recievers to get open much less be seen by the quarterback. Teams are doubling Cooley inside the twenty almost 90% of the time. However, we DO have he personnel to have one of the better redzone offenses in the league. How about a two tight end set with Fred Davis, an absolute physical specimen, and Chris Cooley? Or how about a three wide set with Devin Thomas (or a healthy and freakishly talented big reciever in Malcolm Kelly) as the outside reciever, opposite Moss, with Randle El (an absolute nightmare to cover in the slot) in the slot position? Just dome ideas.

FYI...Look for a an offensive explosion from either Dallas or Washington this week, I have a feeling a lot more points will be scored in this game by both teams. WE WILL WIN...on our way to 7-3. Hail!!!!!
__________________
Bow down and recognize the skills of the Gibbs
Skins4Eva is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
jgalecpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 458
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

Good Analysis.

No one says that to be a member of this board you have to 'drink the kool-aid'.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion till facts prove otherwise.

J-Dawg.
__________________
Theismann: You're wrong, the rule is wrong, the refs are wrong, and I'm right
jgalecpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

I don't really care what anyone says, DeAngelo Hall is a fantastic pickup. We have nothing to lose and he has everything to lose seeing how every team before us skipped on picking him up. People are talking about him as if he is Pac-Man Jones 2.0. Sure, he has a stinky attitude but you can work on his type of stinky attitude, with Pac-Man it's beyond attitude and into metal issues realm. If Hall doesn't work out we're cutting his ass, if he does we got ourselves some depth at worst.

As for Zorn, I'm cornered but I'm not panicked. He needs to game plan for blitzes better. If he does that this team will be fine. What I saw last week was Spurrier-esq...I have confidence in Zorn and I am sure he will adjust.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

1: Campbell took over a couple of games last year, most notably the loss against Dallas in which he made some poor throws for INTs. I agree he is not comfortable yet in this offense to take over a game but like Zorn said it could take 3 years to get there. IMHO JC is ahead of schedule.

2: It's worth considering that our defensive system is partly the explanation for so few interceptions. Sure there have been drops but for the most part what I notice is that guys aren't in the right place at the right time to make a play on the ball. Therefor is probably premature to expect Hall to come in and get picks like before.

3: That's more or less the consensus among fans...

... you could give the whole brevity thing a try.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Special Teams
 
MiraclesHappen07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Richlands, Va
Posts: 318
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

i agree with you views. there very wel thought out. I doubt i coudlve done anything like that, lol. But i know i would love to see more inTs on our D, who wouldnt? But saying that we aboslutely need them is sorta premature, i mean so far our D has been spectacular with out them. Now that could change who knows, but from the remaining schedule the only really tempting offense we need to worry about woud be, Giants, Eagles, and errrmm maybe bengals (very ify, unless chad shows up like he did a week ago)
__________________
Resistance is futile, The Burgundy and Gold are coming!!!

"Football can like a box of chocolates, nevers know what your gona get any given sunday"-From zach williams, revised verison from Forest Gump
MiraclesHappen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,765
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

1. I would like to see Campbell take over more games, including the Steelers game. But he did bring us back against New Orleans this year.

2. I agree that Hall is very talented. But until he actually starts, facts do indeed support the use of the term "depth."

3. I have argued for the need for bigger wideouts on this site before so I fundamentally agree with you. It would be great to see more use of Davis made in the red zone. However, Kelly has had a hard time even getting on the practice field due to his bad knees. You can't call for Kelly to be making plays until he practices, gets to know the offense, and actually suits up for games.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 29
Posts: 2,048
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

had a dream Hall got a pick and we beat Dallas
__________________
NFL officiating is BY FAR the worst in proffessional sports. Except no substitutions... worse or not!!


R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

saying you're an offensive football pro right before being entirely wrong on an offensive player doesn't exactly help your credibility... repeating that fact doesn't make it any better either.

i mean it's cool your owning up to being wrong and all, but it obviously didn't make your point any more valid.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

Dear Redskins,

Please crush the Cowboys for us. You have a chance to just make them go away for the rest of the year. No more stories about Romo, or Owens, or any Roy Williams. This is your one shot to make them irrelevant.

Don't let us down!

Sincerely,

The NFL
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
memphisskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 42
Posts: 960
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
Good Evening Fellow Skins Fans
All downhill from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
Before I begin I will own up to my apparent shorsightedness regarding Jason Campbell. I gave a highly critical review of his performance as well as his future as a potential elite QB in this league.
No, you gave a knee jerk reaction to a poor performance by the entire team after one game and you said that Campbell wasn't smart enough or accurate enough to play quarterback in the NFL at an elite level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
Several members on the site blasted me as they thought that by me stating my football resume as well as expertise on the offensive side of things that I was somehow trying to use that to construct a a view that could not be argued. This was not my attempt and sincerely apologize if anyone took my post in that way.
You are the one who put your status as offensive coordinator in your post. You also mentioned the 6 players you sent to Div 1 schools last year. The fact that you sent 4 offensive players and didn't mention a qb is very telling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
With that being said, I was just offered the interim position as one of the assistants to the Director of Recruitment for the Shrine Bowl game this year. (I figured that would get a rise out of those who blasted my post last time. Lol) Back to my thoughts:
Congrats on the position. But relevance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins4Eva View Post
1. Jason Campbell: He has proven that he can effectively manage and run the WCO.
I'm guessing this is your interpretation of humble pie, since your last post basically said that Jason Campbell's processing time was 2 to 3 seconds slower than other qbs. You want a slice of humble pie, your initial thread on Campbell was inaccurate, shortsighted, and borderline racist. Seemingly every point you made about Jason has been summarily dismissed and disproved by him on the field. You backed up this asinine opinion with your credentials as an offensive coordinator. I'm sorry for calling you a borderline racist, it is inappropriate but I don't know what else to think since you pretty much called my quarterback too dumbwitted to play in this offense.

Maybe my blood sugar is low, maybe its Dallas week, maybe I'm just itching for a fight.

Here's what I observed in the Pittsburgh game. Lack of execution and balance kept our entire offense from getting into a rhythm versus the #1 defense in the NFL. We've got a right tackle who lost his job due to his poor pass protection and a left tackle playing on one leg, we were playing a defensive coordinator who invented his blitz scheme specifically to stop the WCO, and we were playing our 14th straight week of football. Yet you choose to observe that Campbell can't take a game over and call this post humble pie? Have another slice dude...
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,117
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

I guess you didn't watch the Saints game - Campbell outright won that game with his passing to rally the team from two scores down in the 4th quarter. I've been a believer in Campbell from the beginning, not because of the obvious talent, but more because of his relentless work ethic. You want your QB to set the example by studying harder than everyone else - Make no bones about it, Jason Campbell is the leader of this offense, regardless of any emotion he shows on the field.

As for Hall, I'm on the fence. The talent is undeniable, but his me-first attitude in Atlanta was equally obvious. I only saw him play one game in Oakland, and Eddie Royal (in his first NFL game, no less) made Hall look like the rookie. Also, INTs are not the only measure of CB greatness. Years ago, I had a running argument with a friend who believed Everson Walls was a better CB than Darrell Green because he intercepted far more passes. A ridiculous position to take. Hall gets a lot of INTs because he is thrown on a lot and he takes a lot of gambles. He certainly gets beaten with far more regularity than either Rogers or Springs, so don't look at INTs as the only measure of CB proficiency.

I agree wholeheartedly with your final point. I've been shouting for Fred Davis to get on the field for weeks. Davis, Cooley, and Thomas would provide great red-zone targets if they could be on the field together. Here's hoping that Zorn makes an adjustment to improve the red zone passing game.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Dear Redskins,

Please crush the Cowboys for us. You have a chance to just make them go away for the rest of the year. No more stories about Romo, or Owens, or any Roy Williams. This is your one shot to make them irrelevant.

Don't let us down!

Sincerely,

The NFL
you have taken the words out of my mouth!

Once we beat them we will still get 7 more weeks of:
1. What went wrong with the Cowboys
2. Maybe they still have a chance
3. T.O. blaming everyone else
4. Wade Phillips "might get fired" watch
5. Should Wade Phillips get fired
6. Wade Phillips has been fired
7. What could have been with the Cowboys.

I need to check with Smootsmack, but I think that that is the ESPN weekly schedule for the rest of the year on "America's Team"
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
The Starter
 
GoSkins!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yorktown, Va
Age: 45
Posts: 1,587
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisskin View Post
I'm sorry for calling you a borderline racist, it is inappropriate but I don't know what else to think since you pretty much called my quarterback too dumbwitted to play in this offense.
dude... a little over the top with the racist thing. I love having a guy like Jason Campbell as our QB. Studies hard, good role model, true professional, but he did lock on to receivers and hold the ball to long. Saying a guy seemed to have slow reaction time doesn't make someone racist.
__________________
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. A. Einstien
GoSkins! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
Impact Rookie
 
memphisskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: 42
Posts: 960
Re: Humble Pie and New Insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins! View Post
dude... a little over the top with the racist thing. I love having a guy like Jason Campbell as our QB. Studies hard, good role model, true professional, but he did lock on to receivers and hold the ball to long. Saying a guy seemed to have slow reaction time doesn't make someone racist.
You're absolutely right. My apologies to Skinsfan4Eva, you have a right to your opinion and it was wrong for me to even insinuate that your opinion was based on anything other than your experience with football, which obviously you do well enough to garner a position with the Shrine bowl. Again, my apologies to Skinsfan4eva and anyone else I offended. I was out of line.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37110 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25