Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,358
Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Everyone complains about our OL. How about our lack of a secondary receiver? I'm sorry but Randle-El just doesn't cut it, neither does James Thrash, Thomas is incosistent due to being a rookie and Kelly... well that's a different story. We need someone to step up and help Moss out.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,851
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Might not be so bad to look into a decent receiver in the off-season. Just 1... ARE is much better as a slot. Not a number 2.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

repost

might wanna give the qb some protection so he could throw it

we could have every receiver in the NFL on the field and none of them would have a good game the way our OL is so leaky
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
LMsexyAO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

I think ARE is decent, but you're right, he's probably more of a #3 than a #2 on most NFL teams. The real problem is the drop off after ARE. Thomas and Thrash are not NFL caliber receivers.
LMsexyAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

SF, Randle El has been cutting it ALL year. Did you notice that he wasn't available for the last two drives, and that's why no one was open?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMsexyAO View Post
I think ARE is decent, but you're right, he's probably more of a #3 than a #2 on most NFL teams. The real problem is the drop off after ARE. Thomas and Thrash are not NFL caliber receivers.
ARE i thought was brought in to be the third receiver. Remember Brandon Lloyd??
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,851
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
SF, Randle El has been cutting it ALL year. Did you notice that he wasn't available for the last two drives, and that's why no one was open?
I think ARE is 50/50; sometimes here's there and sometimes he's dropping the ball.

Moss is pretty much money, barring he's not dropping deep balls (granted, that's not often). But if Moss is 100% and ARE is 50%, we still need a receiver that can be that 75%.

And btw, where the hell is Fred Davis?
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

At this point, I don't want to try to address the 2nd receiver problem again. We already wasted three 2nd rounders. Let's try to revamp our O-line and hope better pass protection will help the passing game.
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
LMsexyAO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
ARE i thought was brought in to be the third receiver. Remember Brandon Lloyd??
Haha good point
LMsexyAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

You're def right about a 2nd threat @ receiver S but... I think it's only one of the major problems on offense. What we're witnessing IMHO is a total offensive collapse (over the last 4 games). Dallas is not a great defense, period, and we could not do anything. Like others have said it all starts with the line and ours is evidently not an NFL caliber line. Jansen is an embarrassment to RT everywhere. Rabach looks more weak and indecisive every game. Kendall and Thomas are mediocre. Samuels is having his worst season in many years. Most plays are "busted" within a split second of the snap because of the line. Then it comes down to JC making something happen (because every d is going to key on the running back from now on and dare us to put the ball in the air). Campbell has regressed significantly over the last month, probably in part to the struggles along the line but some of the responsibility rests on his shoulders. Very bad passes to Moss and Ports two weeks ago and then several more very bad decisions tonight. It is clear watching on tv Zorn is to his limit w/ Campbell.

Finally... the receiving corp is pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. The shame here is that the same group was pitiful @ the end of last season, with Keenan and Reche making contributions. Now those guys are gone and what we have is one legit receiver who everyone keys on. Meanwhile, teams all over the NFL are getting huge production from rookie wide outs and TEs. The offense is rotten from the ground up and at some point there has to be some serious analysis (within the franchise) why year after year the production is not there.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #11
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,851
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
You're def right about a 2nd threat @ receiver S but... I think it's only one of the major problems on offense. What we're witnessing IMHO is a total offensive collapse (over the last 4 games). Dallas is not a great defense, period, and we could not do anything. Like others have said it all starts with the line and ours is evidently not an NFL caliber line. Jansen is an embarrassment to RT everywhere. Rabach looks more weak and indecisive every game. Kendall and Thomas are mediocre. Samuels is having his worst season in many years. Most plays are "busted" within a split second of the snap because of the line. Then it comes down to JC making something happen (because every d is going to key on the running back from now on and dare us to put the ball in the air). Campbell has regressed significantly over the last month, probably in part to the struggles along the line but some of the responsibility rests on his shoulders. Very bad passes to Moss and Ports two weeks ago and then several more very bad decisions tonight. It is clear watching on tv Zorn is to his limit w/ Campbell.

Finally... the receiving corp is pitiful. Absolutely pitiful. The shame here is that the same group was pitiful @ the end of last season, with Keenan and Reche making contributions. Now those guys are gone and what we have is one legit receiver who everyone keys on. Meanwhile, teams all over the NFL are getting huge production from rookie wide outs and TEs. The offense is rotten from the ground up and at some point there has to be some serious analysis (within the franchise) why year after year the production is not there.
Good post. Didn't know what you mean by this line though.. Like he's fed up with him? Or he's doing all he can to get positive production out of him and nothing's working?
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
SF, Randle El has been cutting it ALL year. Did you notice that he wasn't available for the last two drives, and that's why no one was open?

Well, that depends on how you define "cutting it." I'll give you this, Zorn is working him into the gameplan way better than Gibbs ever did.

Before tonight, we were 18th in the league in passing overall, and 25th in the league in terms of passing yardage. So if you mean that Randle El has kept us from being utterly pathetic in the passing game, then you may have a point.

But like I said at the end of last year, Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El as a tandem are not going to win this team any championships. Then again, this offensive line won't help us win another game if they don't get their act together.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

No depth at WR and no depth on the OL means that you have to rely on your offensive backfield to do everything. And right now, our superstar RB is injured, and our Franchise QB isn't seeing the field as well as he should be (and I think the hits he is taking have a lot to do with how he's seeing the field).
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Well, that depends on how you define "cutting it." I'll give you this, Zorn is working him into the gameplan way better that Gibbs ever did.

Before tonight, we were 18th in the league in passing overall, and 25th in the league in terms of passing yardage. So if you mean that Randle El has kept us from being utterly pathetic in the passing game, then you may have a point.

But like I said at the end of last year, Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El as a tandem are not going to win this team any championships.
Well, coming into tonight, Randle El was catching damn near 80% of what's been thrown at him, and averaging over 9 yards an attempt. His ONLY weakness is that he's not a serious deep threat. It took about 25 games for Al Saunders to figure that out, and since he has, Randle El has been money.

Moss' hands aren't as good as Randle El, but he can run every route on the field and is our only deep threat. I don't count Devin Thomas because 10 games into his career, he can't even line up right.

One thing that no one notices is that the Redskins receivers as a whole are very smart and never really line up out of place. Thomas is a rookie, yes, but you can't teach a sense of the game, which he simply isn't ever going to have.

Devin Thomas will have better games. I don't think he'll ever be dependable.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #15
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Our lack of a secondary receiver is killing us

Remember how our offense is awesome with Sellers on the field? This isn't a mistake. The only formation that works for us right now is 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, or the "I formation." Sellers at FB is so much more valuable than anything Thrash or Devin Thomas can give us.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28471 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25