Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Redskins Locker Room


View Poll Results: What's wrong with the offense?
Offensive Line 129 56.09%
Playcalling 18 7.83%
Receivers 8 3.48%
Quarterback 16 6.96%
Injuries 3 1.30%
Combination or other 56 24.35%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #61
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I was wondering when was the last time they completed one, not the last time they came close to completing one. I suspect its been awhile.
Your point was that JC can't throw the deep ball. GMScud pointed out that JC threw a beautiful ball to Moss last night. You dismissed it as evidence that JC can throw the deep ball because Moss dropped it. Care to explain that twisted logic? If you think JC's short and intermediate game suck, and his deep ball sucks, then I suppose you think he sucks, right? Or are you just complaining about JC for complaining's sake?

Anyways, it depends on how you define "deep ball." He was throwing very nice deep balls earlier in the season. He hit Moss for a 35 yarder against the Browns, a 50 yarder against the Lions, and several big gains at the Cowboys.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #62
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I know im going to get killed for saying it but...... Maybe Joe Bugel needs to go, not now today, but after this season. for 4-5 years it has been said that the strength of this team is the O-line, but pass protection has been an issue since hes been here.

Look how Russ Grim built the O-line in Arizona and Pittsburg for that matter. Kurt Warner has all day to throw the ball, JC has 2 maybe 3 seconds, thats just crap. Maybe its technique, I just cant believe that this issue cant or hasnt been resolved. The SKins have paid a hefty price for this line and at this point its one of the worst in pass blocking.
I think our problem this year has been that our line old slow and not very good.

In the past we have had protection problems and I wonder why that is. When these guys were just a little younger they were good talents so I am not exactly sure why we have had consistent pass pro issues for years.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #63
Camp Scrub
 
redskinsgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: dc area
Posts: 78
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanBeliever View Post
Dig route, curl route, slant, flanker screen. How many times are we going to be inundated with these same dysfunctional offencive(the misspelling is intended) philosophies. IT DOES NOT WORK. When Spurrier did it, it didn't work, the same with Turner and Gibbs. The conservative game should only be played with a substantial lead and its primary function is to eat clock, slow the pace of the game, and allow limited touches for your opponent. You don't win with it as the genesis for your weekly gameplan. Now Zorn may exclaim in his press conferences that he intends to stretch the feild and take some shots, but until I see as a chess move and not out of sheer desperation, I'm not buying.

Granted the offensive line are missing blitz blocking assignments and are ripidly eroding when they fall back into pass pro, but we aren't the only team in the nfl that embodies this malignant malfunction. Take the Steelers for example. Their line breaks down all the time but Big Ben still finds a way to make plays, down feild. Campbell just looks more flustered as the season progresses, and this is the time when the great ones normally find their rhythm, and stride. I don't want hear, "Its his first season in this system, be patient he'll come around." Intangibles don't blossom out of the clear blue, they are ingrained and inherent and don't see them.

So are saying Big Ben hasn't look flustered??? Big Ben has hold the ball way longer then JC. JC hasn't made plays under pressure??? Big Ben has had 10 TDs 11 int, and 32 sacks. JC has had 9 TDs, 3 int, and 26 sacks. Steelers pass offense is rank 18 where as the skins is ranked 20. Technically he hasn't done much better than JC this year.
redskinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #64
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,488
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
I get what your saying but TB makes plays in that situation more often than not, that's why he's a HOF QB. Making plays. Sometimes your QB has to make plays. JC's made some and sometimes not. It seems like more often he doesn't lately.
But I think what you are forgetting is before the Super Bowl Brady had all day & night to throw of course he can make plays when his line is blocking so can JC.
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #65
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,630
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Your point was that JC can't throw the deep ball. GMScud pointed out that JC threw a beautiful ball to Moss last night. You dismissed it as evidence that JC can throw the deep ball because Moss dropped it. Care to explain that twisted logic? If you think JC's short and intermediate game suck, and his deep ball sucks, then I suppose you think he sucks, right? Or are you just complaining about JC for complaining's sake?

Anyways, it depends on how you define "deep ball." He was throwing very nice deep balls earlier in the season. He hit Moss for a 35 yarder against the Browns, a 50 yarder against the Lions, and several big gains at the Cowboys.
Throwing a deep ball and connecting on them are 2 different things. Also 1 or 2 per game doesnt mean he can do it with any consistency. If he was really accurate as you suggested earlier I'd think they go deep more often since he could hit that target.

JC needs lots of improvement in all facets of his game but having another WR besides Moss would help.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #66
Special Teams
 
birdz4gibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 370
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

it,s a combination of all the above....the trenches being the biggest of them all on offense and on defense.... what they were doing at the start of the season they aint doing it now and that force tempo be fast and push it downfield..right now they can,t get out of their own way at the moment it seems..

well it seems this team needs to make another dramatic stretch run to make it to the playoffs...PLAYOFFS...
__________________
****go skins*******
birdz4gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #67
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

I had to wait till today to respond or else I'd fly into a furious rant. Reading the analysis so far has been helpful just to put things in order and think more than feel. So... what I really keep coming back to is the front office. Vinny supposedly is the real guy now so I guess I blame him (but you figure Danny boy and coaches have some say). What I'm getting at is sure everyone here is right about the line being a joke and our wide outs unproductive. But why do we have the players we have? Who's fucking job is it to decide that Jansen is old and fat and just plain bad, which means we need to find a starting caliber RT? Who's job is it to be sure we have the right players to solidify the line throughout? Who's job is it to find legitimate wide outs? You get my point. Our front office spent it's time and money on a flashy DE who cannot play the position we fucking hired him for. By the way one of the smartest personnel guys in the biz (The Tuna) wouldn't touch Taylor so that should have been some kind of indicator. And we used our draft picks on guys who have not been able to contribute jack squat (outside of the fluke we know as Chris Horton).

My opinion: the FO gets a great big F- for '08. Didn't solidify an aging, creaky and incompetent line. Didn't bring in anyone who could make an impact on offense. Bullshit.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #68
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I had to wait till today to respond or else I'd fly into a furious rant. Reading the analysis so far has been helpful just to put things in order and think more than feel. So... what I really keep coming back to is the front office. Vinny supposedly is the real guy now so I guess I blame him (but you figure Danny boy and coaches have some say). What I'm getting at is sure everyone here is right about the line being a joke and our wide outs unproductive. But why do we have the players we have? Who's fucking job is it to decide that Jansen is old and fat and just plain bad, which means we need to find a starting caliber RT? Who's job is it to be sure we have the right players to solidify the line throughout? Who's job is it to find legitimate wide outs? You get my point. Our front office spent it's time and money on a flashy DE who cannot play the position we fucking hired him for. By the way one of the smartest personnel guys in the biz (The Tuna) wouldn't touch Taylor so that should have been some kind of indicator. And we used our draft picks on guys who have not been able to contribute jack squat (outside of the fluke we know as Chris Horton).

My opinion: the FO gets a great big F- for '08. Didn't solidify an aging, creaky and incompetent line. Didn't bring in anyone who could make an impact on offense. Bullshit.
Yeah, thanks for not flying into a furious rant.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #69
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,094
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Throwing a deep ball and connecting on them are 2 different things. Also 1 or 2 per game doesnt mean he can do it with any consistency. If he was really accurate as you suggested earlier I'd think they go deep more often since he could hit that target.

JC needs lots of improvement in all facets of his game but having another WR besides Moss would help.
Having better pass protection would help more. All of our receivers can get open, but it's much more difficult for Jason to deliver the ball in rhythm when he's getting knocked on his butt. I'm pleased with Campbell's game when he's not getting harrassed every play. He throws a nice long ball, and his deep sideline throws have great velocity (preventing DB's from recovering). He almost never throws into double coverage - his decision making seems solid. As a bonus, he seems to make at least one play each game with his legs to sustain a drive. It's time for the braintrust to address our weak pass protection if we hope for Jason to play consistently as an upper echelon QB.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #70
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,596
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
I get what your saying but TB makes plays in that situation more often than not, that's why he's a HOF QB. Making plays. Sometimes your QB has to make plays. JC's made some and sometimes not. It seems like more often he doesn't lately.
If that is the case, then he would have won SB against Giants..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #71
Special Teams
 
ChickenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario,Ca
Age: 41
Posts: 274
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

The botton line is that you build your team from the bottom up... Offensive line, then defensive line...if you can run the ball, pass protect, and stop the run, you can will the SUPER BOWL.....The skins cant pass protect and they cant stop the run....Done deal
Draft defensive line, Offensive line, and linebackers, if you bulid it they(wins) will come
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #72
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Yeah, and Colt would be more poised than Campbell with the shoddy protection the OL is providing. Yeah right. I expect to him crack against a team like the Giants and perform like he did in the Sugar Bowl highlights I saw.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #73
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanBeliever View Post
I'm not saying that Big Ben has had a flawless season by any scope of the imagination but what I am contending is that he looks more poised in the face of heavy pressure. He looks through the rush and is still finding Holmes running out routes and and Ward over the middle for 10 to 12 yard chunks with relative accuracy. Would I rather have Ben than JC at this point in the season. Absolutely. The game isn't played in the stat column.
Ben is phenominal outside of the pocket, but he doesn't see the field nearly as well as he needs to inside of it. He's like the reverse Tom Brady.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #74
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

Someone mentioned shotgun...I mentioned this like a month ago....and we rarely see it.
Rollouts are rare too.

One thing about Gibbs, when the Oline needed help, he adjusted.

Zorn does not adjust....his "Rookiness" has been showing for a month.
That is why when everyone was saying he was a "5" out of 5....I still graded him a 3.
He hasn't been tested yet....now, he has been a couple games straight and he just has not kept ahead of the curve.

He better get his crap together soon or we may just be vanilla all the way out of the playoff race.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #75
Camp Scrub
 
CrackBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 42
Re: Redskins Offense: What's the Problem?

John Madden pointed out the problem really well last night.

With all the slant patterns and no shots downfield, defenses are starting to play us close, not worrying about the deep threat. I realize that this is the WCO style, but until we prove that we have a valid deep threat in the playbook (we bviously have the personel with Moss) we will nto be successful.
CrackBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33233 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25