Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,853
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Guys, guys... you're making a scapegoat out of someone who doesn't even play. Give the rook a break before you kick him off the team! Freddy D. is gonna have an impact in this league... there aren't many tight ends that come roaring out of the gate in their first year.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #62
Special Teams
 
JLW428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 422
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Well, we've got a reputation for being one of the toughest teams in the NFL, but no one said we could line up in the off-season for scholarly awards.

Pete Kendall and Antwaan Randle El aside, we haven't pulled a Patriot, and gone out of our way to acquire cerebral players. That's not really "Redskin football". Redskin football has always been tough, hard nosed, beat them at the point of attack style.


This is very true; however, with the way that play books are drawn up now, as apposed to the 80's especially with this west coast offense, players have to be somewhat intellegent. When I say intellegent the only thing I'm saying is smart enough to realize that you have to memorize a pretty thick playbook. They all know the game of football. It just comes down to intead of watching TV all night or whaterver, just memorize a playbook, its not that hard.
JLW428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #63
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,028
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

We drafted davis, because we did not want a player that could help us now like Desean Jackson.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #64
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

I just finished the first half of the game tape review, and Davis was in on four plays. Here are my game notes for those plays:

1) [drive 1] First and ten (he's the left TE) - Zone right, Rabach and Thomas and Kendall are all instantly at the second level knocking heads. Davis has the front side sealed.

2) [drive 2] First and ten (he's the left TE) - Naked Boot pass, and the Cowboys play it well. The pass complete to Cooley in the flat with Campbell under pressure. Davis was running the "over" route, or the ten-twelve yard cross. He might have been open, but it didn't matter because of the playcall.

3) [drive 3] First and ten (he's the left TE) - He's in a pattern. 5 man rush, major pressure by Ratliff, but at least Rabach doesn't fall down and can stay with him. Campbell under duress throws in Cooley's direction.

4) [the next play] (he's the only TE on the right, Cooley is split wide) Toss right, Fred Davis easily beaten by DeMarcus Ware.

So he was in on two running plays, did his job once vs Ware, and got killed the other time vs. a better player. On the passing plays, his released looked fine, and Campbell just got crushed off the snap.

I'll see if he plays any in the second half, but I'm not sure he will, DT was getting all the reps at the end of the half.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #65
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

After careful consideration and intensive inquiry I can confidently say we drafted Fred Davis because... he has the best weed connections on the West Coast and everybody knows West Coast bud beats the hell out of that East Coast crap
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #66
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

He's from Toledo, OH.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #67
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
He's from Toledo, OH.
Right, played college ball somewhere else though
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #68
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Wink Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

My girlfriends from Ohio. If I lived there I'd want to leave too.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #69
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,028
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I just finished the first half of the game tape review, and Davis was in on four plays. Here are my game notes for those plays:

1) [drive 1] First and ten (he's the left TE) - Zone right, Rabach and Thomas and Kendall are all instantly at the second level knocking heads. Davis has the front side sealed.

2) [drive 2] First and ten (he's the left TE) - Naked Boot pass, and the Cowboys play it well. The pass complete to Cooley in the flat with Campbell under pressure. Davis was running the "over" route, or the ten-twelve yard cross. He might have been open, but it didn't matter because of the playcall.

3) [drive 3] First and ten (he's the left TE) - He's in a pattern. 5 man rush, major pressure by Ratliff, but at least Rabach doesn't fall down and can stay with him. Campbell under duress throws in Cooley's direction.

4) [the next play] (he's the only TE on the right, Cooley is split wide) Toss right, Fred Davis easily beaten by DeMarcus Ware.

So he was in on two running plays, did his job once vs Ware, and got killed the other time vs. a better player. On the passing plays, his released looked fine, and Campbell just got crushed off the snap.

I'll see if he plays any in the second half, but I'm not sure he will, DT was getting all the reps at the end of the half.
Dude, you are an extremely extreme fan.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #70
Impact Rookie
 
Bushead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 763
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

I just don't get it. We have seen what happens when we draft all the free agents. Some come in and make an impact right away, some do nothing, and some take a while to get going.

Now everyone was happy with having all the draft picks and being able to "build through the draft" but you guys want to see impact players that change the entire game.

I say give it some time. Hindsight is 20/20. But drafting any o-lineman in the second round would have mean that it would have taking a few years for them to come into their own (Derrick Dockery).

I hope we have some patience after next weeks win.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #71
Special Teams
 
cdskins26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 349
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

I thought we were trying to get rid of cooley because of money initially, but now i am scratching my head about this one.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #72
Impact Rookie
 
A10sROCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 504
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

I think his problem is learning the playbook.

Fact is that none of the rookie receivers has done much so far this season. Most WR/TE don't do too good the first year - however even this yr has been underwhelming for our Redskin rookie receivers.

Then you've got a seventh rounder like Chris Horton lighting the place up. I wonder who gets the big payday a couple years from now!

We could have use at least one OL or DL instead of three WR/TE in the draft!
__________________
'Gut and Power'
A10sROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #73
Special Teams
 
DIRTEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 256
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

I think we are fine. The only thing that remained the same from last year was the running game and the defense. And everthing that is new, seems to be giving us problems. I can see us with a new receiver coach next year, maybe Taylor Jacobs. Now, honestly, Zorn just wants Davis to be accountable for his play. Trust wasn't the right term to use, but i'm sure its going to get some production.
DIRTEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #74
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,385
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
We drafted davis, because we did not want a player that could help us now like Desean Jackson.
geez, that's getting old. if we had drafted Royal or Jackson, they would have sat on the bench just like thomas and kelly. they are good on teams that don't already have a starting lineup of WR's but we did, and do, and until the rookies earn their pay they will be slower on the field.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #75
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,606
Re: Why Did We Draft Fred Davis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
geez, that's getting old. if we had drafted Royal or Jackson, they would have sat on the bench just like thomas and kelly. they are good on teams that don't already have a starting lineup of WR's but we did, and do, and until the rookies earn their pay they will be slower on the field.
Plus we already have a "DeSean Jackson"...his name is Santana Moss
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34833 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25