Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Shaun Alexander released

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #31
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
WTF is the obsession with Mason? Is he tearing it up with the Jets or something? If he is I sure have'nt heard about it. I did'nt realize you could make the Hall of Fame just by playing in the preseason. This has gotten ridiculous.
NO one saying he is making the Hall of fame. But there are many people who discredit him for leading all rushers in preseason like any rb can do that..Its called hating. Saying it was against 3rd and 4th stringer..Like he had a choice of when to put himself in the game. He did what he could with the opportunities he was given. Look at the list of the preseason rushers all of them are pretty good..NFL Stats: Player

Also people were saying it was better bringing in SA than Mason. As far as the Jets he is 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Which is where we wanted him here. How can he tear it up if he doesn't get to play. When you have someone who is playing good (Thomas Jones - Might make the pro bowl) he is not going to start obviously.. so your statement was sarcastic but irrelevant.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #32
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,832
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Maybe.. Maybe not. But he would have contributed more that TTB. Did Hightower of the Cardinal do good in preseason?..Oh I forgot..He is riding the bench (sarcasm on)

I am sick and tired of the - "He did well in preseason against thrid stringers BS". Was it his decision when he played and to my recollection no one else on the team was rushing so he did it with a sub par line regardless. He did well when he played..what else was he supposed to do..Here are the final preseason statistic..read'm and weep...

NFL Stats: Player
This is definitely getting tired. So he tore it up in the preseason, who cares?

There's no guarantee he would have done any better than Alexander.

And in all likelihood he would have been cut just like Alexander. All we needed was a stop gap, and that's all Alexander was.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,832
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
NO one saying he is making the Hall of fame. But there are many people who discredit him for leading all rushers in preseason like any rb can do that..Its called hating. Saying it was against 3rd and 4th stringer..Like he had a choice of when to put himself in the game. He did what he could with the opportunities he was given. Look at the list of the preseason rushers all of them are pretty good..NFL Stats: Player

Also people were saying it was better bringing in SA than Mason. As far as the Jets he is 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Which is where we wanted him here. How can he tear it up if he doesn't get to play. When you have someone who is playing good (Thomas Jones - Might make the pro bowl) he is not going to start obviously.. so your statement was sarcastic but irrelevant.
It's not hating, it's reality. Did he not play mostly against 3rd and 4th stringers? Do you realize how many players tear it up every preseason only to fade away into obscurity once the regular season starts?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #34
Camp Scrub
 
ncskinsfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 24
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
WTF is the obsession with Mason? Is he tearing it up with the Jets or something? If he is I sure have'nt heard about it. I did'nt realize you could make the Hall of Fame just by playing in the preseason. This has gotten ridiculous.
I think Mason would have been a better option when Betts went down. He ran well in this scheme, he knew the run game and was young. He led all rushers in the pre-season, maybe you guys disagree but I want a young, hungry guy with upside as my 3rd RB. Cartwright is not a RB, but is a necessity because of st's. Betts is often injured and we seem intent on running CP for all he's worth. Maybe he would have been cut but he could have earned a spot just as easily had he allowed us to rest Portis a lil more.

I think Mason could have replaced Betts long-term as a change of pace to Portis. Maybe that would have been next year or the year after who knows but atleast their was the possibility we got nothing from SA...nothing. He may not have torn it up for the Ravens or the Jets but he's also learning their offenses whereas he knew ours. Look Im not saying the guys a savior but his stat line would have likely surpassed Alexanders, he wouldnt have costed anymore and he might have proven himself worth keeping despite the recent cuts.
ncskinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Shaun Alexander played for the redskins????
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #36
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,467
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
NO one saying he is making the Hall of fame. But there are many people who discredit him for leading all rushers in preseason like any rb can do that..Its called hating. Saying it was against 3rd and 4th stringer..Like he had a choice of when to put himself in the game. He did what he could with the opportunities he was given. Look at the list of the preseason rushers all of them are pretty good..NFL Stats: Player

Also people were saying it was better bringing in SA than Mason. As far as the Jets he is 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Which is where we wanted him here. How can he tear it up if he doesn't get to play. When you have someone who is playing good (Thomas Jones - Might make the pro bowl) he is not going to start obviously.. so your statement was sarcastic but irrelevant.
Excuse me there hoss but what I think is irrelevant is to keep talking about a player who is no longer on this team and to keep projecting what COULD have been when you really have no way of knowing. Maybe he doesn't get to start because he isn't good enough to start, did that ever cross your mind? He was cut from the Redskins, never made it off the Ravens practice squad, and is third or fourth string on the Jets. So Jones is having a good year, why has'nt Mason made it to 2nd string? The fact is , we cut him, so to keep talking about it is not only irrelevent but assinine.
__________________
"I'm buying what Scott McCloughan is selling. Count me IN! HTTR!!!"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #37
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Excuse me there hoss but what I think is irrelevant is to keep talking about a player who is no longer on this team and to keep projecting what COULD have been when you really have no way of knowing. Maybe he doesn't get to start because he isn't good enough to start, did that ever cross your mind? He was cut from the Redskins, never made it off the Ravens practice squad, and is third or fourth string on the Jets. So Jones is having a good year, why has'nt Mason made it to 2nd string? The fact is , we cut him, so to keep talking about it is not only irrelevent but assinine.
Umm. Hoss I was responding to what you said. Your points are really unfounded. For one. The Ravens Had McGahee, Rice and the other big back. The Jets have 3 backs also. One got hurt so they brought Mason in. Conventional wisdom would be to bring in someone who already knew the system and who would have been just as cheap. Plus when teams have backs that they are paying big money or drafted high. They are going play them. have you ever though that he got cut because we kept extra defensive backs WRs or D-Lineman..Which aren't even panning out.

It was a numbers game and that's why he got cut. he recevied more than enough accolades from Zorn and Zorn jsut doens't give out praise just for the hell of it. Last but 31 teams passed on Alexander. So think about that..Jets or the Ravens could have picked him up. But they didn't. He had upside and alexander didn't that's the point. I could care less about if Mason makes the tema or not. But people are bashing him for no reason and acting like because he was the leading rusher in preseason that he is garbage. Only thing he did wrong was miss some blocks and fumble a kick-off return. Wichi could have been corrected and he would have ran better with a in sync O-line. Get a clue. This discussion is dead..I was responding to your comment...
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #38
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Hey...DMV....don't remind them that Betts dropped one in preseason and one in Seatle. Shhhhhh. don't talk about him doing that against 1st stringers. As far as talking about a has beens .....why is this topic even open ....I believe SA is now a has been? Soooo if you guys are able to talk about a has been that should not have been cause no other team saw the upside, and....Seatle clearly didn't see the upside and he knew their offense!, then why can't we talk about a has been that had an upside, knew the offense, and was younger? Frankly I'm tired of all the "preseason/2nd stringers BS".

If they were looking for a player with credentials then why didn't they contact B-Bitch or Riggo? SB credentials count don't they. and...they are older then dirt also.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #39
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,467
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Umm. Hoss I was responding to what you said. Your points are really unfounded. For one. The Ravens Had McGahee, Rice and the other big back. The Jets have 3 backs also. One got hurt so they brought Mason in. Conventional wisdom would be to bring in someone who already knew the system and who would have been just as cheap. Plus when teams have backs that they are paying big money or drafted high. They are going play them. have you ever though that he got cut because we kept extra defensive backs WRs or D-Lineman..Which aren't even panning out.

It was a numbers game and that's why he got cut. he recevied more than enough accolades from Zorn and Zorn jsut doens't give out praise just for the hell of it. Last but 31 teams passed on Alexander. So think about that..Jets or the Ravens could have picked him up. But they didn't. He had upside and alexander didn't that's the point. I could care less about if Mason makes the tema or not. But people are bashing him for no reason and acting like because he was the leading rusher in preseason that he is garbage. Only thing he did wrong was miss some blocks and fumble a kick-off return. Wichi could have been corrected and he would have ran better with a in sync O-line. Get a clue. This discussion is dead..I was responding to your comment...
Fine, now let me respond to yours. I actually liked Mason in the preseason, but understood why we did not keep him. In fact you just said it, it's a numbers game. If you understand that, why keep going on and on about him? Were we going to play him with Portis, Betts and Cartwright in front of him? No. Could he help on special teams? The coaches did'nt think so. Apparently the same people who have led us to a 7-4 start with a rookie coach and new offensive system are also clueless since they are the ones who made the decision to let him go. You say that we've kept people who have'nt panned out, but have nothing to show that Mason would pan out either. You also seem incapable of understanding that a running back was brought in for one purpose only, insurance, that it turns out we did'nt really need anyhow. Even if Mason were brought in, he would have been let go. How many carries did Alexander have, nine? Do you think Mason would have shown enough to make the coaches decide to let someone go at another position so we could keep a fourth running back on the roster? Did the Ravens think he was good enough to bring up and keep as a fourth running back? They have McGahee for crying out loud, we have Clinton Portis. No comparison. I have no love for Alexander and was not thrilled with the idea of signing him, but since I don't have a clue, maybe you can explain to me why we should cut another player to make room for a fourth running back who can't get playing time on the Jets or the Ravens. Using your logic, if he can't get time with them, he surely won't get any playing time with the team that has the leading rusher in the NFL. As long as there are 53 man rosters and teams can sign your practice team players, some players with potential are going to be lost. He's not the only one we lost. Get over it.
__________________
"I'm buying what Scott McCloughan is selling. Count me IN! HTTR!!!"

Last edited by 53Fan; 11-26-2008 at 09:16 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #40
The Starter
 
D'BOYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,363
Re: Shaun Alexander released

3 weeks too late
D'BOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,467
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'BOYZ View Post
3 weeks too late
How's PacMan?
__________________
"I'm buying what Scott McCloughan is selling. Count me IN! HTTR!!!"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #42
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Excuse me there hoss but what I think is irrelevant is to keep talking about a player who is no longer on this team and to keep projecting what COULD have been when you really have no way of knowing. Maybe he doesn't get to start because he isn't good enough to start, did that ever cross your mind? He was cut from the Redskins, never made it off the Ravens practice squad, and is third or fourth string on the Jets. So Jones is having a good year, why has'nt Mason made it to 2nd string? The fact is , we cut him, so to keep talking about it is not only irrelevent but assinine.
Ok you didn't say it was a numbers game..I did. For one. Secondly the quote above is what you said. You were saying he is no good. No one is saying the coaching staff or front office doesn't know what they are doing and yes keeping the extra D-lineman didn't pan out. Also to keep an extra WR and a DB because they probably felt Doughty was a liability. Remember they kept the DB from VA Tech that got cut. So it being a numbers game is obvious. Zorn was impressed with Mason as were other players on the team even Portis. So what are you debating? You are saying he would have been cut anyway. Who is saying anything about him being cut? What I am saying is he already had knowledge of the plays along with speed agility and vision (remember this is Joe Gibbs running scheme and Mason was on the team last year - not Zorns running scheme). The point you are trying to make is as him being a returner. Saying that Rock is our third back. But there is a conflict here. Rock wasn't kept because he was a better running back but because he held on to returns. Mason seemed to be a better runner but fumble on a return so they felt he wasn't as reliable as Rock on returning kicks. Rob Jackson and Erasmus James haven't done anything. They haven't panned out thus far. Maybe they will eventually. So you said basically in your quote that he wasn't good enough. But anyone with two eyes could see that he had skill and upside. So dont try to use my statement to make your points when you are validating mine and proving yourself wrong. It wasn't about talent it was a numbers game. So we dont know what COULD have happened. But we COULD have signed Mason but we didn't but that's over with. But I am pretty sure that he had more upside than Alexander and IF he played well we could have kept him for a valuable back up in the future and for the same rate as we got Alexander. Young player with upside that could contribute in the future if CP goes down or an Old has been that used to play under Coach Zorn that's the real reason he got picked up. If he had something left in the tank Detroit or Cincinatti would have picked Alexander up...Oh I forgot they are stacked at RB.

What the hell are you talking about they have McGahee and we have Portis. WTF? Dude are you lost to what I was saying. I was saying your proving my point that it was a numbers game. I said B-More had McGahee Rice and MCClain (that's why they let Mason go..duh)..We have Portis (Monster) Betts (Average) and Cartwright (3rd back at best)..and as far as the Jets he's behind Jones and Leon Washington..Do you watch football?


*Oh yeah I feel you SBXVII. Lets not mention Betts almost losing the game for us. Or the fact he couldn't punch it in from the one yard line against the Giants several times last year. Also the fact that if Portis wasn't such a soldier we might not even be in some of these games..

So 53 sit here and tell me with Portis and Betts out you would have been comfortable with Alexander and Rock handling the load..whatever.."Some" people were in this forum almost pissing in their pants and let out a sigh of relief when Portis came back for the Dallas game..

I am tired of talking about this..We are not going to sign Mason this year and Tip Toe Burgular was garbage...end of discussion..
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Last edited by dmvskinzfan08; 11-26-2008 at 10:46 PM.
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,467
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Ok you didn't say it was a numbers game..I did. For one. Secondly the quote above is what you said. You were saying he is no good. No one is saying the coaching staff or front office doesn't know what they are doing and yes keeping the extra D-lineman didn't pan out. Also to keep an extra WR and a DB because they probably felt Doughty was a liability. Remember they kept the DB from VA Tech that got cut. So it being a numbers game is obvious. Zorn was impressed with Mason as were other players on the team even Portis. So what are you debating? You are saying he would have been cut anyway. Who is saying anything about him being cut? What I am saying is he already had knowledge of the plays along with speed agility and vision (remember this is Joe Gibbs running scheme and Mason was on the team last year - not Zorns running scheme). The point you are trying to make is as him being a returner. Saying that Rock is our third back. But there is a conflict here. Rock wasn't kept because he was a better running back but because he held on to returns. Mason seemed to be a better runner but fumble on a return so they felt he wasn't as reliable as Rock on returning kicks. Rob Jackson and Erasmus James haven't done anything. They haven't panned out thus far. Maybe they will eventually. So you said basically in your quote that he wasn't good enough. But anyone with two eyes could see that he had skill and upside. So dont try to use my statement to make your points when you are validating mine and proving yourself wrong. It wasn't about talent it was a numbers game. So we dont know what COULD have happened. But we COULD have signed Mason but we didn't but that's over with. But I am pretty sure that he had more upside than Alexander and IF he played well we could have kept him for a valuable back up in the future and for the same rate as we got Alexander. Young player with upside that could contribute in the future if CP goes down or an Old has been that used to play under Coach Zorn that's the real reason he got picked up. If he had something left in the tank Detroit or Cincinatti would have picked Alexander up...Oh I forgot they are stacked at RB.

What the hell are you talking about they have McGahee and we have Portis. WTF? Dude are you lost to what I was saying. I was saying your proving my point that it was a numbers game. I said B-More had McGahee Rice and MCClain (that's why they let Mason go..duh)..We have Portis (Monster) Betts (Average) and Cartwright (3rd back at best)..and as far as the Jets he's behind Jones and Leon Washington..Do you watch football?


*Oh yeah I feel you SBXVII. Lets not mention Betts almost losing the game for us. Or the fact he couldn't punch it in from the one yard line against the Giants several times last year. Also the fact that if Portis wasn't such a soldier we might not even be in some of these games..

So 53 sit here and tell me with Portis and Betts out you would have been comfortable with Alexander and Rock handling the load..whatever.."Some" people were in this forum almost pissing in their pants and let out a sigh of relief when Portis came back for the Dallas game..

I am tired of talking about this..We are not going to sign Mason this year and Tip Toe Burgular was garbage...end of discussion..
I really don't know WHAT your point is and at this point I don't really care. I'm sure it wasn't worth all this space to begin with. Being tired of talking about Mason was MY POINT to begin with. Read the original post Einstein.
__________________
"I'm buying what Scott McCloughan is selling. Count me IN! HTTR!!!"

Last edited by 53Fan; 11-26-2008 at 11:13 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #44
Camp Scrub
 
Jordan0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Re: Shaun Alexander released

Just want to throw something out for everyone to think about...I haven't heard anything or read anything i just have a gut feeling this deal will get done for the 09-10 season.

Edge wants out of Arizona and at the Age of 30 his years are limited on were he van demand to go. With his agent being Drew Rosenhaus who loves dealing with the skins and of course another player from the "U" he would be a great fit in DC. I don't trust Ladell Betts with the football in a close game at all. Edge is very close to a lot of the faces of the franchise and I can just picture him backing up Portis!! Let me know what you all think or is this to far fetched?
Jordan0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #45
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,832
Re: Shaun Alexander released

I think Edge still thinks of himself as a starter, not sure if there will be a team out there that agrees, but regardless I don't see him coming here. Betts is a solid backup.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41931 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25