Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Tom or Matt

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Tom or Matt

Okay so I'm taking in my morning dose of First Take on Espn this morning and on 3rd down they debated the possiblity of Cassell taking the spot permanently. Warren Moon made a good comment(After week nine I guessed It)the fact that Brady is already 30+ and coming of a huge knee injury. The younger qb in Cassell is playing some good ball right now and this is what have you done lately for me league(look at the Brady and Bledsoe drama). So can Tom be dealt the same fate from the Pats that he gave to Bledsoe? If so would you trade to grab Brady or even Cassell since he's this years Schaub to Vick?
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,625
Re: Tom or Matt

I just can't see them picking Cassell over Brady.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Tom or Matt

Brady is one year removed from the greatest season I've ever season. He's the best qb of his generation, still in the prime of his career, and one of the great clutch performers of all time (he would have 3 game winning Superbowl drives if it wasn't for a million goofy things happening last year). Hats off to Cassell for playing better than anyone thought he could, but I think this conversation is ridiculous - purely driven by media heads who need to fill airtime.

The only possible exception would be if Brady's recovery is unsuccesful - which presumably the Patriots would know - but otherwise I don't see this happening in a million years.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Tom or Matt

Cassell is earning himself a big contract as a starter with another team. He's played a few nice games, but Tom Brady is 30 or 31 years old, a 3x SuperBowl Champ, reiging league MVP, and one of 5 best at his position all time. No way in hell he loses his job to injury. Cassell could lead them to the Super Bowl this year and Brady still wouldn't lose his job next season.

Maybe Favre retires (for the 843rd time) and Cassel goes to the Jets?
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Re: Tom or Matt

Do you believe that they'll let Cassell walk? Looks take a good look why letting Tom go isn't so crazy

1. You can sign Cassell to a smaller contract. You can grab first round pick material by trading Tom Brady leaving cap space to help fix an older LB corp.

2.You're really not sure how Tom is gonna come back from this injury. The Nfl claimed tons of great QB's with knee injuries. Many come back but are never the same. Tom has never been an explosive scrambler so with a bummed knee he's a sitiing duck.

3.The biggest reason is the Coach Bill and Owner Kraft who has made it a staple of showing the NFL they can fill any position and that everybody can be replaced. Whom better then Tom Brady.
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Tom or Matt

Cassell over Brady? Ain't gonna happen unless Brady cannot come back.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Tom or Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzeofmoval View Post
Do you believe that they'll let Cassell walk? Looks take a good look why letting Tom go isn't so crazy

1. You can sign Cassell to a smaller contract. You can grab first round pick material by trading Tom Brady leaving cap space to help fix an older LB corp.

2.You're really not sure how Tom is gonna come back from this injury. The Nfl claimed tons of great QB's with knee injuries. Many come back but are never the same. Tom has never been an explosive scrambler so with a bummed knee he's a sitiing duck.

3.The biggest reason is the Coach Bill and Owner Kraft who has made it a staple of showing the NFL they can fill any position and that everybody can be replaced. Whom better then Tom Brady.
We're talking about Tom friggin Brady. Tom Brady. TOM BRADY! Tom's injury happened in the 1st qtr of the 1st game, so he should be just fine for training camp. For every player who had a career ruined by a knee injury, there is a player who came back like they never got hurt in the 1st place (Carlos Rogers for example). Cassell is under contract next year. They can trade him for draft picks or the LB you speak of, and sign or draft a backup QB.

Tom Brady is a once in a generation player. If Belicheck can turn Cassell- a guy who hadn't started a game since high school- into a good starter, there's no reason he can't do the same with another draft pick.

Letting a good backup like Cassell get away is a bit of a gamble. Getting rid of Brady in his prime and banking on Cassell to fill his shoes would be one of the dumbest moves in NFL history.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Tom or Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
We're talking about Tom friggin Brady. Tom Brady. TOM BRADY! Tom's injury happened in the 1st qtr of the 1st game, so he should be just fine for training camp. For every player who had a career ruined by a knee injury, there is a player who came back like they never got hurt in the 1st place (Carlos Rogers for example). Cassell is under contract next year. They can trade him for draft picks or the LB you speak of, and sign or draft a backup QB.

Tom Brady is a once in a generation player. If Belicheck can turn Cassell- a guy who hadn't started a game since high school- into a good starter, there's no reason he can't do the same with another draft pick.

Letting a good backup like Cassell get away is a bit of a gamble. Getting rid of Brady in his prime and banking on Cassell to fill his shoes would be one of the dumbest moves in NFL history.

Right. I can't stand the Pat's but one thing they're not is DUMB.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Special Teams
 
prinzeofmoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
Re: Tom or Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
We're talking about Tom friggin Brady. Tom Brady. TOM BRADY! Tom's injury happened in the 1st qtr of the 1st game, so he should be just fine for training camp. For every player who had a career ruined by a knee injury, there is a player who came back like they never got hurt in the 1st place (Carlos Rogers for example). Cassell is under contract next year. They can trade him for draft picks or the LB you speak of, and sign or draft a backup QB.

Tom Brady is a once in a generation player. If Belicheck can turn Cassell- a guy who hadn't started a game since high school- into a good starter, there's no reason he can't do the same with another draft pick.

Letting a good backup like Cassell get away is a bit of a gamble. Getting rid of Brady in his prime and banking on Cassell to fill his shoes would be one of the dumbest moves in NFL history.
We can say the same about Joe Montana who was in his prime before injuries and Steve Young had him shipped to Kansas City, or Jaws for Cunningham, Rivers for Brees. Cassell is a free agent in 09 so their will be no trading for LB and btw did you just mentioned Carlos Rogers? Our Carlos Rogers. Yes he healed successfully but he aint gonna be a pro-bowler anytime soon.
__________________
I laugh at you Colt Brennan haters. You're the same guys who didn't wanna bench Brunell for Campbell. The tables will turn.
prinzeofmoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
LMsexyAO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Re: Tom or Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzeofmoval View Post
We can say the same about Joe Montana who was in his prime before injuries and Steve Young had him shipped to Kansas City, or Jaws for Cunningham, Rivers for Brees. Cassell is a free agent in 09 so their will be no trading for LB and btw did you just mentioned Carlos Rogers? Our Carlos Rogers. Yes he healed successfully but he aint gonna be a pro-bowler anytime soon.

1. How many SBs has Matt Cassell won? How many MVPs? All this talk reminds me of when Portis was injured in 06 and everyone wanted to trade him and keep Betts, pretty sure we made the right call there.

2. Carlos Rogers is a few picks from the pro bowl without a doubt, he's an absolute stud. Have you been watching the games this season? He's amazing.
LMsexyAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,625
Re: Tom or Matt

Unless Brady's knee isn't right, yes the Pats will have to let Cassell walk. You can't dump one of the best QBs of this era, who still has some quality football left in him, for a one year wonder. Please.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: Tom or Matt

Are we seriously talking about Matt Cassell taking over for Tom Brady? Lock it up and move it to thread hell.
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #13
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Tom or Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzeofmoval View Post
We can say the same about Joe Montana who was in his prime before injuries and Steve Young had him shipped to Kansas City, or Jaws for Cunningham, Rivers for Brees. Cassell is a free agent in 09 so their will be no trading for LB and btw did you just mentioned Carlos Rogers? Our Carlos Rogers. Yes he healed successfully but he aint gonna be a pro-bowler anytime soon.
Joe Montana was 37 years old when he went to KC. Hardly in his prime. Rivers for Brees- Brees had a bad shoulder injury and Rivers was a high pick, so it wasn't unreasonable for SD to let him walk. Both Brees and Rivers are performing at a very high level and are 30 or younger, so good for both teams.

And yeah, I mentioned Carlos Rogers. He recovered from a bad knee injury suffered much later in the season than Brady's, he plays a position requiring much more athleticism, and he recovered just fine. And he is playing at a pro-bowl level and could very well be in Hawaii this year.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Tom or Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Unless Brady's knee isn't right, yes the Pats will have to let Cassell walk. You can't dump one of the best QBs of this era, who still has some quality football left in him, for a one year wonder. Please.
More like a two game wonder. This thread is absolutely beyond retarded.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #15
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,612
Re: Tom or Matt

I thought this thread was maybe about Mattyk vs Spence (Tom). I thought, "hey, this should be interesting"

Instead, it's about Brady vs Cassell which is somewhat less interesting.

But let's make it interesting again!

Matt Damon over Tom Cruise

Tom Tupa over Matt Turk

Thomas Crown over Matt Houston
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31848 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25