Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Will we force Eli to beat us?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Will we force Eli to beat us?

Sup everybody? I been thinking about this Sunday non-stop (probably not the only one) and keep feeling like it will come down to our strategy on defense. I know this sounds weird because it's the offense that has struggled; however, my intuition is our offense is going to play extremely tough football. CP will be 200% focus and I think the o-line will take tremendous pride in smash-mouth football for 4 full quarters as a way to honor Sean and the close friendship between he and Portis. Also, the passing game will continue to open up now that Kelly is making progress and JC has regained some composure.

Defensively, we're facing the best ground game in football. Just curious if anyone thinks Blache will stack the box right from the beginning w/ the front four and then the SS moving up close to the line as a defacto 4th linebacker (and everyone keying in on the backfield)? It forces Eli to beat us, which seems risky at first because he can be very good. But there's this: we've got an elite secondary now w/ Springs healthy and Hall progressing quickly. If we could get an early INT w/ aggressive man-to-man coverage Eli could fall apart as he did against Cleveland (the Giants only loss).

Again this is risky, but if we can effectively shut down NY's rushing attack and get a great game from Springs, Rogers, Hall, Landry and Horton I could see Eli begin to struggle early and the Giants unable to adjust.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,352
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

"I think the o-line will take tremendous pride in smash-mouth football for 4 full quarters as a way to honor Sean and the close friendship between he and Portis"
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but there is no way in hell the o-line will match up with the giants' d line...r u kidding, they had trouble with seattle last week and you think they can stand up to justin tuck, fred robbins, and mathias kiwanuke? give me a break...casey rabach is a mistake machine, jon jansen is finished, i mean washed up nothing left, and chris samuels is feeling his age (watch the dallas game when he was manhandled by demarcus ware). Through all this, Cportis leads the league in rushing...which says more about portis than the line because their pass blocking is pathetic.
Gmen 35
Skins 10
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Sup everybody? I been thinking about this Sunday non-stop (probably not the only one) and keep feeling like it will come down to our strategy on defense. I know this sounds weird because it's the offense that has struggled; however, my intuition is our offense is going to play extremely tough football. CP will be 200% focus and I think the o-line will take tremendous pride in smash-mouth football for 4 full quarters as a way to honor Sean and the close friendship between he and Portis. Also, the passing game will continue to open up now that Kelly is making progress and JC has regained some composure.

Defensively, we're facing the best ground game in football. Just curious if anyone thinks Blache will stack the box right from the beginning w/ the front four and then the SS moving up close to the line as a defacto 4th linebacker (and everyone keying in on the backfield)? It forces Eli to beat us, which seems risky at first because he can be very good. But there's this: we've got an elite secondary now w/ Springs healthy and Hall progressing quickly. If we could get an early INT w/ aggressive man-to-man coverage Eli could fall apart as he did against Cleveland (the Giants only loss).

Again this is risky, but if we can effectively shut down NY's rushing attack and get a great game from Springs, Rogers, Hall, Landry and Horton I could see Eli begin to struggle early and the Giants unable to adjust.
Defensively I think you're right Goat. In fact that has been our strategy for most of the year. With the d-backs we have, we want them to try and throw on us. A couple of interceptions would help us for sure. GTripp would know about this more than me but I think we tried Springs at FS a few times so Landry could play close to the line but I'm not sure about the results. It sounded good on paper, but they may need to make a few adjustments. I would'nt be surprised to see Blache play 2 linebackers and 3 safetys at times, but I think alot would depend on who we have available at game time. If we don't stop the run we're in for some deep s**t. But this team has come up big on the run before, hopefully they'll do it again Sunday. Portis will play his heart out, no doubt.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
"I think the o-line will take tremendous pride in smash-mouth football for 4 full quarters as a way to honor Sean and the close friendship between he and Portis"
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but there is no way in hell the o-line will match up with the giants' d line...r u kidding, they had trouble with seattle last week and you think they can stand up to justin tuck, fred robbins, and mathias kiwanuke? give me a break...casey rabach is a mistake machine, jon jansen is finished, i mean washed up nothing left, and chris samuels is feeling his age (watch the dallas game when he was manhandled by demarcus ware). Through all this, Cportis leads the league in rushing...which says more about portis than the line because their pass blocking is pathetic.
Gmen 35
Skins 10
What does that even mean?

To assert that a football team can have the league's best rusher w/o some good blocking from his o-line is just absurd. And good smash-mouth blocking is exactly what we'll see come Sunday - this will be the best game yet from the o-line.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
The Starter
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Age: 29
Posts: 1,996
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

we need to try and score some damn points most of all.
__________________
NFL officiating is BY FAR the worst in proffessional sports. Except no substitutions... worse or not!!


R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,352
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
What does that even mean?

To assert that a football team can have the league's best rusher w/o some good blocking from his o-line is just absurd. And good smash-mouth blocking is exactly what we'll see come Sunday - this will be the best game yet from the o-line.
dude, look up some stats before claiming someone else's opinion is absurd, i didn't say the run blocking was bad...I said the pass blocking was pathetic. Case in point, JC has been sacked 28 times (6th in the league) and in his last interview he said that the problem he's been having in the last few games is that he has been unable to look to even his second progression because the pass rush is getting to him so quickly...oh and u talk of smash mouth blocking, are you honestly going to say that the skins are better in the trenches?? I hate to disparage this skins team (who i support) but the giants have the best rushing offense in the league for a reason and justin tuck, fred robbins, and mathias kiawanuke have dominated every team they have faced....I just dont see jon jansen, casey rabach, and chris samuels being able to give up anything less than a 6-7 sack day. Also, JT has been a bust, Andre Carter has been pretty good but with all the injuries to the lb corps, i just dont see a happy ending to this game...so as much as i hope that the skins win, its really stupid to think that the o-line (12 sacks given up in the last three games) 'will have one of its best games yet'
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,577
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

This game simply comes down to can the offense do its job. The D has consistently kept us in the game. I have little faith that the O can accomplish that. This will be only the 2nd time JZ has faced a re-match situation, and he fell short on the first one.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

if our offense would have done anything the first time around, the skins would have won that game. its all about our o-line, and if they can give Campbell time
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,053
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Eli has never won a game in the NFL,never! The Giants as a team have,Eli is only part of it and he can't and won't do it by himself so this "Eli has to beat us" .....junk is funny.People who believe that just don't understand the game of football.Eli would love to just hand it off all day long...let the running game and the O'line take over ,keep your D on the field for over 12 mins on a drive ...wear them down,that is not done by just one man.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
47FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 757
Posts: 685
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

if we stop or at least slow the run eli will have a hard time especially if we get an interception or two.
47FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,788
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Eli has never won a game in the NFL,never! The Giants as a team have,Eli is only part of it and he can't and won't do it by himself so this "Eli has to beat us" .....junk is funny.People who believe that just don't understand the game of football.Eli would love to just hand it off all day long...let the running game and the O'line take over ,keep your D on the field for over 12 mins on a drive ...wear them down,that is not done by just one man.

I do recall a play in the super bowl last year that Eli made that won the game for you. Eli is more than capable of winning games if he needs to, its just that the Giants run game and defense has been so dominant there hasn't been any need for him to put the team on his shoulders and carry them. I was no big Eli fan (still not) but the kid has grown up tremedously the last year and half and seems very capable of being "the guy".
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,788
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

on our strategy coming up sunday. I think Blache will put more people in the box and let the corners play more cover 1, cover 0. Alot of run blitzing, and we'll see Jason Taylor more as an OLB this week given the injuries we have. Evans will more than likely play DE the majority of the game to give more run support since we all know Taylor stinks in the run game. I sure hope London can suit up and contribute sunday. With out him, I am not sure we'll be able to get off the field defensively.

Offensively - we have to come out with some aggression and attack. Max protect and let the receivers go get the ball. Hopefully this will take the Giants out of that aggressive attacking the QB mode. I look for Cooley to have a big game if they continue to blitz as often as they do. I am hoping for a couple of those quick slants to turn into big plays and hopefully hit Kelly a few times deep.
We are NOT suppose to win this game so we really should go out with nothing to lose and just attack early. If we can play with a lead, Greg may be more inclined to send the house at Eli and force some INT's.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,577
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
on our strategy coming up sunday. I think Blache will put more people in the box and let the corners play more cover 1, cover 0. Alot of run blitzing, and we'll see Jason Taylor more as an OLB this week given the injuries we have. Evans will more than likely play DE the majority of the game to give more run support since we all know Taylor stinks in the run game. I sure hope London can suit up and contribute sunday. With out him, I am not sure we'll be able to get off the field defensively.

Offensively - we have to come out with some aggression and attack. Max protect and let the receivers go get the ball. Hopefully this will take the Giants out of that aggressive attacking the QB mode. I look for Cooley to have a big game if they continue to blitz as often as they do. I am hoping for a couple of those quick slants to turn into big plays and hopefully hit Kelly a few times deep.
We are NOT suppose to win this game so we really should go out with nothing to lose and just attack early. If we can play with a lead, Greg may be more inclined to send the house at Eli and force some INT's.
Great Post. I hope JZ and GB read this!! Seems like the absolute road map for us to steal a win.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,958
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

I hope we don't "force" anyone to beat us
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 40
Posts: 1,788
Re: Will we force Eli to beat us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Great Post. I hope JZ and GB read this!! Seems like the absolute road map for us to steal a win.

I hear a bit of sarcasim.......
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30164 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25