Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


2009 Season

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
The Starter
 
D'BOYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,363
2009 Season

Hey Guys I wanted to know what do you guys think needs to be fix, change or get (realistically) in the off season for you guys to be successful next year.

And please don't post any Fantasy Football Free agent pick that you don't really need. Hate when guys do that just because he's a big name guy, but they don't get that maybe he's old, or doesn't fit your scheme or you already have a starter in that position that it's getting paid the big bucks.

With that in mind please no Matt Cassel post. I know that he's a FA and New England most likely will not get him but first he will like to go to a place when he can start and be in a good team (new York Jets is my first option). You guy invest a 1st round pick on Campbell, and has shown flashes that he can be good so he at least will get 1 more year.
D'BOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
REDSKIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ROANOKE, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 109
Re: 2009 Season

I've posted this on another thread, but here is what I think needs to be changed.

1.) Look for a starting defensive tackle either via free agency (Hanesworth) or the draft. I think that the main problem with our pass rush is the middle of our d-line, they don't get any pressure up the middle on the quaterback which lets the other teams double our d-ends which negates any type of pressure on the quaterback. I'm sorry but Griff has to go, he has not been getting the job done for the last couple of years. We need a d-tackle that will command double teams to free up one of our d-ends.

2.) Marcus Washington needs to be replaced he's never on the field. When he's out there he is great, but he's more of a liability now with the injuries. Look to our roster for a replacement or possibly a veteran through free agency.

3.) I really like our corners and safety positions. I would definetly try to retain Hall and RE-SIGN ROGERS, I know he can't catch a beach ball, but he sure can cover it. I love Springs when he is on the field, but he kinda falls into the Marcus Washington factor. I would try to retain him for less money if possible, if not let him go. Keep Smoot at the nickleback.

4.) Offensively I would address the aging line. Center and Left Guard will be the main focus. Casey need to be replaced and although I think that Pete has done a wonderful job for us I think its time for a younger player to take over. Heyer to start at Right Tackle and Jansen to backup lineman.

5.) Try to trade Randel El if not successful move him to the slot or the fourth receiver if the rookies start to develop. Start Thomas opposited Moss and hope that Kelly can take over the slot position. Use Davis and Cooley as much as possible keep Yoder as a backup.

6.) Make Zorn bring in an proven West Coast Off. Coord. to help with the game plan and possibly call the plays. Say bye bye to Danny Smith, Plackemeier, and Suisham, our special teams were terrible. Take Randel El out of punt return duties he SUCKS, and try to fill that position with possibley Thomas or Rock Cartwright. Bring in various Punters and Kickers to try out for the team.
__________________
"AND YOU KNOW THIS MAN"
REDSKIN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
The Starter
 
D'BOYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,363
Re: 2009 Season

Man those are really good and straight points I can't disagree with any of them... Getting Haynesworth will be taught but not impossible specially since Tennessee already has a rookie to replace him that showed power. if the price tag gets to high the Titans will let him walk. And we know that Dan isn't afraid to use his wallet and for once it would be a good move.
D'BOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,983
Re: 2009 Season

That's a pretty solid wish list Redskin1. I wish I wrote it..............dammit
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post
I've posted this on another thread, but here is what I think needs to be changed.

1.) Look for a starting defensive tackle either via free agency (Hanesworth) or the draft. I think that the main problem with our pass rush is the middle of our d-line, they don't get any pressure up the middle on the quaterback which lets the other teams double our d-ends which negates any type of pressure on the quaterback. I'm sorry but Griff has to go, he has not been getting the job done for the last couple of years. We need a d-tackle that will command double teams to free up one of our d-ends.
You made alot of good points, but i have to strongly disagree with this one. When have either of our DEs been double-teamed consistently? It just hasnt happened. Did you watch the San Francisco game? Jason Taylor couldnt get by underachieving TE Vernon Davis for petes sake! Jason Taylor cant get by a TE, let alone ONE offensive lineman - no ones been doubleteaming Taylor since week 1. A big DT is NOT going to singlehandledly solve our pass-rush problems. Thats the biggest myth some redskins fans seem to want to beleive.
We DO need a bigger DT, but we also need upgrades at BOTH OLB positions. Better OLBs will free up our DEs to focus solely on rushing the passer. We also need upgrades at BOTH DE positions, although we realistically cant expect to see that anytime soon. Suffice to say, one DT is not going to solve our pass-rush problem or generate many more sacks. We're 3-5 players away from seeing any real improvement there.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: 2009 Season

And to some of your other points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post

2.) Marcus Washington needs to be replaced he's never on the field. When he's out there he is great, but he's more of a liability now with the injuries. Look to our roster for a replacement or possibly a veteran through free agency.
I agree. My gut tells me we cut him and if he doesnt get any bites elsewhere, we resign him for close to the vet minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post
3.) I really like our corners and safety positions. I would definetly try to retain Hall and RE-SIGN ROGERS, I know he can't catch a beach ball, but he sure can cover it. I love Springs when he is on the field, but he kinda falls into the Marcus Washington factor. I would try to retain him for less money if possible, if not let him go. Keep Smoot at the nickleback.
I think its foolish for us to trade him as JLC has been "reporting." He's worth more to us as a #2 corner than he is to us as a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. we would be fools to trade him unless he's pulling a champ bailey on us and forcing our hand. I say we cut springs if he wont restructure and keep Rogers through 2009. If he continues to improve, resign him - if not, we can try to trade him then, since he will likely only be a RFA after the season. If he ends up being REALLY good next year and the CBA gets extended, we could always franchise him anyways. theres no need to rush there. Resigning Hall should be our top priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post
4.) Offensively I would address the aging line. Center and Left Guard will be the main focus. Casey need to be replaced and although I think that Pete has done a wonderful job for us I think its time for a younger player to take over. Heyer to start at Right Tackle and Jansen to backup lineman.
I honestly don't think Heyer is a starting quality tackle. He really got pushed around against a fairly weak SF D-line. I think we need to find a new starting T and Heyer and Jansen can be our primary backups. We definitely need a new starting C and Rinehart can hopefully start in place of Kendall this year. I certainly would do everything possible to resign Kendall though. He was - by far - our most consistent lineman this year. He may be old, but we arent going to find a better FA guard out there for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post
5.) Try to trade Randel El if not successful move him to the slot or the fourth receiver if the rookies start to develop. Start Thomas opposited Moss and hope that Kelly can take over the slot position. Use Davis and Cooley as much as possible keep Yoder as a backup.
Randel Els cap hit likely prohibits trading him. Besides that, no one would want to take on his contract and we couldnt get more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him anyways. The smart move is, like you said, make him a #3/ receiver. I expect Moss and Thomas to be our starters next year. ARE will likely start out as #3 and Kelly will be more of a red zone guy. I also think its possible Kelly and Davis become our starters and we use Moss more in the slot, with ARE becoming the #4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post
6.) Make Zorn bring in an proven West Coast Off. Coord. to help with the game plan and possibly call the plays. Say bye bye to Danny Smith, Plackemeier, and Suisham, our special teams were terrible. Take Randel El out of punt return duties he SUCKS, and try to fill that position with possibley Thomas or Rock Cartwright. Bring in various Punters and Kickers to try out for the team.
I think this is the change we most desperately need on offense, but its also the change least likely to happen. Zorn was adamant that he would continue to call plays and that he wants to keep his staff. Cerrato said this is Zorns decision. Unfortunately, were going to have to hope Zorn learns alot about playcalling in the off-season.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,512
Re: 2009 Season

we need major upgrades on both sides of the ball. and with that being said, i do not want Haynesworth. reminds me too much of Stubblefied. lets start getting the over all team younger. i think last year the skins were the 4th oldest team in the league
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
You made alot of good points, but i have to strongly disagree with this one. When have either of our DEs been double-teamed consistently? It just hasnt happened. Did you watch the San Francisco game? Jason Taylor couldnt get by underachieving TE Vernon Davis for petes sake! Jason Taylor cant get by a TE, let alone ONE offensive lineman - no ones been doubleteaming Taylor since week 1. A big DT is NOT going to singlehandledly solve our pass-rush problems. Thats the biggest myth some redskins fans seem to want to beleive.
We DO need a bigger DT, but we also need upgrades at BOTH OLB positions. Better OLBs will free up our DEs to focus solely on rushing the passer. We also need upgrades at BOTH DE positions, although we realistically cant expect to see that anytime soon. Suffice to say, one DT is not going to solve our pass-rush problem or generate many more sacks. We're 3-5 players away from seeing any real improvement there.
Please elaborate on this point a little bit more. How will better OLB's help the Devensive Ends get more pressure in pass rushing situations? I do not necessarily disagree, but I want to know from what perspective are you making this suggestion.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Special Teams
 
REDSKIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ROANOKE, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 109
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
You made alot of good points, but i have to strongly disagree with this one. When have either of our DEs been double-teamed consistently? It just hasnt happened. Did you watch the San Francisco game? Jason Taylor couldnt get by underachieving TE Vernon Davis for petes sake! Jason Taylor cant get by a TE, let alone ONE offensive lineman - no ones been doubleteaming Taylor since week 1. A big DT is NOT going to singlehandledly solve our pass-rush problems. Thats the biggest myth some redskins fans seem to want to beleive.
We DO need a bigger DT, but we also need upgrades at BOTH OLB positions. Better OLBs will free up our DEs to focus solely on rushing the passer. We also need upgrades at BOTH DE positions, although we realistically cant expect to see that anytime soon. Suffice to say, one DT is not going to solve our pass-rush problem or generate many more sacks. We're 3-5 players away from seeing any real improvement there.
I'm willing to give Taylor and Carter another year due to the injury Taylor suffered in the beginning of the year. You are right that no one doubled Taylor since the beginning of the year and that was because of his decline in play due to his injury. But in the last couple of games after he was finally healthy he was able to put pressure on the quaterback from time. Carters play suffered from the lack of consistent play from the rest of the d-line. If we get a solid DT I truley belive that Carter and Taylor's production will increase. Just look at their numbers from the year before.

I do agree that we need to address the LB positions but I beleive that Rocky will be ok. This was his first year after major knee surgery. Washington needs to go and we can probably get a couple more years out of London.
__________________
"AND YOU KNOW THIS MAN"
REDSKIN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Please elaborate on this point a little bit more. How will better OLB's help the Devensive Ends get more pressure in pass rushing situations? I do not necessarily disagree, but I want to know from what perspective are you making this suggestion.
Jason Taylor made some comment to the effect of having more responsibilities in this system than the normal 4-3 offense. Someone commented on it and because our OLBs arent very good, our DEs have added responsibilties and aren't free to just attack the QB. It could simply be a matter of not immediately engaging their blocker at the snap, but instead waiting to determine if it was a pass play or run play... because if its a run play, the OLBs arent going to be able to protect the edges... I cant be 100% sure thats it - Taylor was very PC in his comments and wasnt trying to call out his team mates or coach. However, logic would dictate that with Washington out, forcing two undersized LBs in the lineup (with Blades playing OLB), runners are going to have an easier time getting yardage on the outside. To compensate, the DEs need to provide more-than the usual run-stopping support.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKIN1 View Post
I'm willing to give Taylor and Carter another year due to the injury Taylor suffered in the beginning of the year. You are right that no one doubled Taylor since the beginning of the year and that was because of his decline in play due to his injury. But in the last couple of games after he was finally healthy he was able to put pressure on the quaterback from time. Carters play suffered from the lack of consistent play from the rest of the d-line. If we get a solid DT I truley belive that Carter and Taylor's production will increase. Just look at their numbers from the year before.

I do agree that we need to address the LB positions but I beleive that Rocky will be ok. This was his first year after major knee surgery. Washington needs to go and we can probably get a couple more years out of London.
I had hope for Taylor after the Philly game, but he killed any good will i was going to give him with his play against SF. it was utterly horrible. Taylor isnt worth his cap hit next year. we've got to get rid of him unless he's willing to take a 50% pay cut.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Jason Taylor made some comment to the effect of having more responsibilities in this system than the normal 4-3 offense. Someone commented on it and because our OLBs arent very good, our DEs have added responsibilties and aren't free to just attack the QB. It could simply be a matter of not immediately engaging their blocker at the snap, but instead waiting to determine if it was a pass play or run play... because if its a run play, the OLBs arent going to be able to protect the edges... I cant be 100% sure thats it - Taylor was very PC in his comments and wasnt trying to call out his team mates or coach. However, logic would dictate that with Washington out, forcing two undersized LBs in the lineup (with Blades playing OLB), runners are going to have an easier time getting yardage on the outside. To compensate, the DEs need to provide more-than the usual run-stopping support.
We dont ever blitz, we only rush 4 since we play alot of coverage. Linebackers wouldnt really help us get sacks with the defense we play.
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
We dont ever blitz, we only rush 4 since we play alot of coverage. Linebackers wouldnt really help us get sacks with the defense we play.
???? Might want to check that WaldSkins. I believe we were one of the top blitzing teams in the league. We just didn't get sacks.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: baltimore
Posts: 3,180
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Jason Taylor made some comment to the effect of having more responsibilities in this system than the normal 4-3 offense. Someone commented on it and because our OLBs arent very good, our DEs have added responsibilties and aren't free to just attack the QB. It could simply be a matter of not immediately engaging their blocker at the snap, but instead waiting to determine if it was a pass play or run play... because if its a run play, the OLBs arent going to be able to protect the edges... I cant be 100% sure thats it - Taylor was very PC in his comments and wasnt trying to call out his team mates or coach. However, logic would dictate that with Washington out, forcing two undersized LBs in the lineup (with Blades playing OLB), runners are going to have an easier time getting yardage on the outside. To compensate, the DEs need to provide more-than the usual run-stopping support.
does blache just want our front 4 to lock up with the O line and eat up blockers so our LBs can come in the gaps?

i heard from someone on here who said he rarely does any stunts or anything other than wanting the D line to lock on to a guy. also it seemed to me that the ends responsibilities this year were to get wide on outside runs and while i think this is alot to ask of an end, JT seemed to do a good job of using his arm span to keep a blocker off him enough so that he could go vertical when needed. just seemed like blache really didnt want to ask the D lineman to do much except hold their ground. whether this was done b/c its how blache wants it or as a result of the lack of talent i am not sure.

long story short, i personally didnt like how we used our front 4 this year.

go skins!!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: 2009 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
does blache just want our front 4 to lock up with the O line and eat up blockers so our LBs can come in the gaps?

i heard from someone on here who said he rarely does any stunts or anything other than wanting the D line to lock on to a guy. also it seemed to me that the ends responsibilities this year were to get wide on outside runs and while i think this is alot to ask of an end, JT seemed to do a good job of using his arm span to keep a blocker off him enough so that he could go vertical when needed. just seemed like blache really didnt want to ask the D lineman to do much except hold their ground. whether this was done b/c its how blache wants it or as a result of the lack of talent i am not sure.

long story short, i personally didnt like how we used our front 4 this year.

go skins!!
I agree it reminds me of playing DE in Junior High. DE is Responsible for outside containment, chiping TE's, and eating up the blocks of the OT's while the LB's make the plays... F**k that! Let the DL get some penetration and play the run on the way to the QB.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36686 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25