Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,018
Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Has anyone seen this? I saw it on the local news earlier this morning and now is on ESPN.com.

Hard times: 20 Washington Redskins employees laid off - ESPN

I think Schneed should look at this part. LOL.

Quote:
Salary cap analyst Jimmy Halsell also was released, along with the team's longtime director of publications and a member of the public relations department.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Was Vinny one of the 20 let go???
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,018
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Was Vinny one of the 20 let go???
Can you imagine being an employee for the Redskins, and you get laid off; meanwhile the offense has been sitting on its @$$ for the last 8 games of the season and they get to keep their jobs?
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Can you imagine being an employee for the Redskins, and you get laid off; meanwhile the offense has been sitting on its @$$ for the last 8 games of the season and they get to keep their jobs?
More like the last 8 years.
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,649
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Was Vinny one of the 20 let go???
That was the first thing I asked myself especially when I heard a director had been released. Unfortunately my wishes were met with sorrow.

Anyway I think this is a good time to get something off my chest. One of the things I keep on hearing about Dan Snyder is that at least he's a great business man. After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that he's not even that. If anything he WAS at least a good business man sometime in the past. Afterwards he took his earnings and got himself a cash cow (The Redskins). For those of you who don't know what a cash cow is, it's a mature product that will earn money no matter what. The Redskins are such an economic asset. Practically anyone could make money off the Redskins.

However if you look at his other businesses with six flags and the radio deal you'll see he's had trouble making a profit before the recession really did it's damage.

Man look at me I'm starting to sound like JLC. Either way I'm surprised that the recession was even able to reach the Redskins.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,500
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
That was the first thing I asked myself especially when I heard a director had been released. Unfortunately my wishes were met with sorrow.

Anyway I think this is a good time to get something off my chest. One of the things I keep on hearing about Dan Snyder is that at least he's a great business man. After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that he's not even that. If anything he WAS at least a good business man sometime in the past. Afterwards he took his earnings and got himself a cash cow (The Redskins). For those of you who don't know what a cash cow is, it's a mature product that will earn money no matter what. The Redskins are such an economic asset. Practically anyone could make money off the Redskins.

However if you look at his other businesses with six flags and the radio deal you'll see he's had trouble making a profit before the recession really did it's damage.

Man look at me I'm starting to sound like JLC. Either way I'm surprised that the recession was even able to reach the Redskins.
When Snyder took over this team was not the cash cow it is now. I mean look at all the advertisng all over the stadium. I know the advertising has calmed down a bit during these times but still. He's done a nice job marketing the team. Plus he came up with the local Redskin stores. He has made the team a lot more valuable than when JKC had the team. Now he's lucky to be in this market, that helps.

People were laid off in the NFL offices so naturally this hits the teams too. I'm not surprised. I didn't know John Jefferson worked for the Redskins.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
That was the first thing I asked myself especially when I heard a director had been released. Unfortunately my wishes were met with sorrow.

Anyway I think this is a good time to get something off my chest. One of the things I keep on hearing about Dan Snyder is that at least he's a great business man. After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that he's not even that. If anything he WAS at least a good business man sometime in the past. Afterwards he took his earnings and got himself a cash cow (The Redskins). For those of you who don't know what a cash cow is, it's a mature product that will earn money no matter what. The Redskins are such an economic asset. Practically anyone could make money off the Redskins.

However if you look at his other businesses with six flags and the radio deal you'll see he's had trouble making a profit before the recession really did it's damage.

Man look at me I'm starting to sound like JLC. Either way I'm surprised that the recession was even able to reach the Redskins.
If you're so smart why ain't you rich?
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,649
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
If you're so smart why ain't you rich?
Well if I had known Dan was going to run the franchise into the ground I wouldn't have settled for a minority owner spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
When Snyder took over this team was not the cash cow it is now. I mean look at all the advertisng all over the stadium. I know the advertising has calmed down a bit during these times but still. He's done a nice job marketing the team. Plus he came up with the local Redskin stores. He has made the team a lot more valuable than when JKC had the team. Now he's lucky to be in this market, that helps.

People were laid off in the NFL offices so naturally this hits the teams too. I'm not surprised. I didn't know John Jefferson worked for the Redskins.
What I'm morbidly curious to see is how the Redskins do in the long run. Maybe his success has been a result of what he's always done with running the team, sacrifice long term plans in favor of short term get-rich quick schemes. The fans are starting to get fed up with the way the team is running the organization and apparently the season ticket waiting list is for lack of a better word, bullshit. I've heard of people that have been contacted about season tickets within a year of signing up. On top of that they got Larry Michael robo calls going around now with Jack Kent Cooke showing up on caller ID's.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 01-09-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

How exactly are NFL teams feeling the crunch of the economy? I'm not buying it. Just wait and see how much they spend in free agency, meanwhile some guy who works at the stadium is out on the street. F'd up.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,892
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

I agree. They were not laid off because of the economy, they were fired because they were not wanted anymore.

Last edited by Defensewins; 01-09-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,649
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
How exactly are NFL teams feeling the crunch of the economy? I'm not buying it. Just wait and see how much they spend in free agency, meanwhile some guy who works at the stadium is out on the street. F'd up.
That is a pretty good point. I mean hell the NFL has made most of it's money already through their godforsaken exclusive rights deals which should at least account for a solid yearly income from the likes of Ridell, EA Sports, Rebock, Direct TV, and the such. Of course I presume that they don't pay off their exclusive rights deals up front.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I agree. They were not laid off because of the economy, they were fired because they were not wanted anymore.
Well, this isn't something that's happening only with the Redskins. It's happening with several teams and even league offices where I think close to 200 people have been laid off.

This isn't as much about the condition the NFL is currently in, although they are going to fall far short of their projected revenue, it's more so about what they fear is coming down the line.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

The cuts in "staff" for NFL teams including the Redskins is not nearly over yet. And don't look closely at the folks working for teams in "lesser sports"; thos folks' jobs are in serious jeopardy.

The Redskins continue to be the cash cow that was mentioned above, but Danny Boy's other ventures are not doing all that well. Six Flags could delcare bankruptcy; buying up American Bandstand has not been a humongous success; Danny Boy is in the fast food business (forget which minor chain he bought about two years ago) and all of the companies in that business sector are seeing "revenue shortfalls".

These Redskins' folks were laid off because times are getting tighter - - not because the Skins don't want them.

Here is the signal that the franchise might not be pulling down as much $$$ as Danny Boy would want:
Ticket Price Reductions.
The Skins have a top-tier stadium price structure and they have some long term commitments from folks with heavy bread for premium seats. If they reduce other ticket prices, they might see a huge cry for relief in the really expensive seats - - and that is a big part of the cash cow's milk production. The Skins do not want to have to reduce ticket prices - - but they may be forced to do just that.
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,714
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Here is the signal that the franchise might not be pulling down as much $$$ as Danny Boy would want:
Ticket Price Reductions.
The Skins have a top-tier stadium price structure and they have some long term commitments from folks with heavy bread for premium seats. If they reduce other ticket prices, they might see a huge cry for relief in the really expensive seats - - and that is a big part of the cash cow's milk production. The Skins do not want to have to reduce ticket prices - - but they may be forced to do just that.
This is probably off topic(more for parking lot than here), but I think it is a very interesting article:
Economics Essays: Deflation vs Inflation
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #15
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,113
Re: Bad Economy hits the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Yes seen it. I guess we can afford to keep J. Taylor now. Unbelievable. Skins are worth 1.5B right?

Maybe on paper but not in the real world,with property values sinking fast and hard most of the Skins value is in the stadium and practice facility.This is what I meant on the other thtread when people talk about a new stadium.........ain't happening for a long time,real long.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34426 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25