Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post

However one of my biggest problems as of late with Snyder trying to build through the air is that in our division and location it's not exactly practical. Is it possible? Of course, history proves that. However history also proves that our best bet at being a winner is playing smash mouth football. I mean look at the facts. We play in a location where it gets cold near the end of the year. On top of that our division opponents play in cold weather locations, save Dallas. It's common sense that passing games function better in warm weather. I mean hell our passing game was fine this year when the temperature was in the low 90's high 80's.

Another problem is our division is full of teams equipped to rush the passer. The Eagles, Cowboys, and Giants all have the ability to get after the Quarterback. Why on Earth would we be trying to build this super awesome passing game? I mean theres a reason that every team in the NFC East is good at running the ball, because where we play, running the ball is not a luxury, it's an element of survival (in the football sense of course).

So until Snyder stops daydreaming about the Rams during the early part of the decade we will continue to go downhill.
The legend of 'smashmouth football' is a past it's time. The team that has dominiated the NFC East for a decade has been the Eagles, a team that passes no less than 60% of the time. We've got to get away from our past and the 'pound the rock' mentality. The Hogs, Riggo, Joey T, Coach Gibbs are all the past, the present and future is winning through the air. By the way, New England plays in a cold weather area, how did their passing game fare the past few years? They've never been a running team and I think for the most part they did OK the past decade.

While Spurrier was a joke of a head coach, I'd bet as an offensive coordinator he'd be damn successful. Points are scored in the passing game in today's NFL. We've tried to get with the times but we've failed miserably at establishing franchise cornerstones at two positions, QB and #1 WR. Yes the lines are very important, but two teams with terrible OL this season were the Steelers and Cardinals. How did that work out for them? They have however elite QB and a legitimate #1 WR. You can get away with less than elite OL if you are elite at other positions. We're not elite anywhere, merely 'good' at a few spots.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #62
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I think the article is well written. I appreciate what others have said about DS stepping back on decisions and letting Vinny take over. Yet I can't be totally convinced that Vinny's not making decisions w/Snyder in his ear. Two wr's & a TE in last year's draft smells of danny influence. Was Jason Taylor all Vinny's decision (for the record I like the deal at the time, but a 2nd was awful high).
Also, Vinny seems to be our GM because of his close relation to Snyder and not because of his GM prowess. Since he seems like a minion of Snyder, the owner's personel tiebreaker rule sounds absurd:

"If Vinny and the head coach can't decide between a player then Danny decides."

Danny can set himself up to make any decision he wants to by making Vinny contest a personel decision with the head coach. Vinny doesn't seem to be strong enough in his own football convictions that he would stand up to Danny. Vinny and Danny don't seem to butt heads enough in lite of the football personel moves we've been making. Since Vinny is still with the team I think that it is evident that Danny still plays a large part in the personel moves.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #63
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Also, Vinny seems to be our GM because of his close relation to Snyder and not because of his GM prowess. Since he seems like a minion of Snyder, the owner's personel tiebreaker rule sounds absurd:

"If Vinny and the head coach can't decide between a player then Danny decides."

Danny can set himself up to make any decision he wants to by making Vinny contest a personel decision with the head coach. Vinny doesn't seem to be strong enough in his own football convictions that he would stand up to Danny. Vinny and Danny don't seem to butt heads enough in lite of the football personel moves we've been making. Since Vinny is still with the team I think that it is evident that Danny still plays a large part in the personel moves.
Yeah, that's so unheard of.

"If there's a trade or a signing or a move Gibbs and General Manager Charley Casserly want to make, they explain it to Cooke. If Gibbs and Casserly disagree, they each make their cases to Cooke, who serves as arbitrator."

WashingtonPost.com: Cooke, Gibbs Forge Friendship, Winning Ways
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #64
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

The real thing w/ me is that we should have a great organization if DS does the right things:

Getting a Football guy to run our front office

Getting a young talented football coach for our team that meshes w/ our new Gm

Lot's of money to spend frugally


The combination of wise decisions and the ability to spend some money should put us right at the top of the NFC East year in a year out.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #65
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Ok, but let's not forget that Spurrier was a highly sought after coach, it's not like only the Redskins were after him

My main point in all of this was that the object of Snyders affection is a high flying passing attack. In citing the moves I'm trying to demonstrate that Snyder led teams will bend over backwards while ignoring needs elsewhere, namely the front lines, to bring in WR's, QB's, RB's, and TE's. Yes Spurrier was a highly sought after coach but he still fits the profile of Snyders Passing Fancy.

Are you just guessing here?

Yes, but in my defense I find it hard to believe that the three highest rated players available when the Redskins picked were Two Recievers and a Tight End. Especially after pimping our first round pick for a top tier reciever before the draft. It all goes back to my point that Snyder would rather loose with 300 yard passing games then win with a Marty Ball type offense.

You got have a QB, jury still out though on whether the investment was worth it

Agreed. But again more passing while getting less help up front.

I don't understand the point of mentioning only WRs we've allegedly gone after, while not mentioning linemen we've allegedly gone after

I'll get back to that after class but still a fair point.
Yea we saw that high flying O this year and Snyder stayed with Zorn so your argument does not hold up. Also last year we had several linemen we wanted that were gone by our pick.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #66
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah, that's so unheard of.

"If there's a trade or a signing or a move Gibbs and General Manager Charley Casserly want to make, they explain it to Cooke. If Gibbs and Casserly disagree, they each make their cases to Cooke, who serves as arbitrator."

WashingtonPost.com: Cooke, Gibbs Forge Friendship, Winning Ways
Wow, that's a nice find. Good article.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #67
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,015
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah, that's so unheard of.

"If there's a trade or a signing or a move Gibbs and General Manager Charley Casserly want to make, they explain it to Cooke. If Gibbs and Casserly disagree, they each make their cases to Cooke, who serves as arbitrator."

WashingtonPost.com: Cooke, Gibbs Forge Friendship, Winning Ways
Ah 1991, our last hurrah as a successful team.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #68
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

This is from the article. "Bill Cowher refused to work for Snyder for the same reason."
So when did Snyder interview Bill Cowher or was this just made up? Even if it is true Cowher has refused to coach any team until 2010 so the statement is still stupid.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #69
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

There's a forest through the trees view that is being ignored IMHO. It is debatable whether Snyder is the last say on GM duties i.e. whether he is truly responsible for the decade+ of mediocrity despite spending crazy money. As fans we can go rounds on this point from here to kingdom come and probably never agree to disagree...

What is nearly incontrovertable at this point in time is that very good coaches do not want to work for Snyder or the Redskins and to me this is what matters most. Spags will be a great coach somewhere, he didn't like what he saw in Snyder and for that Snyder acted like an insecure little child. My best intuition is that beyond Zorn we will not see a guy of character as HC for a very long time to come (even if Danny changed his stupid ways). Snyder deserves it. We don't.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #70
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

... also one could rehash the whole GD travesty surrounding Gregg Williams... I've beat that horse dead a few times already and won't repeat my same old blatherings but it is still significant IMO (if for no other reason that Williams is extremely well respected around the league and it's obvious to all but a few he was smeared by Snyder and/or his people). I mean really, does anyone think the great coaches should have any respect for Snyder or want to give him a chance?
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #71
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
There's a forest through the trees view that is being ignored IMHO. It is debatable whether Snyder is the last say on GM duties i.e. whether he is truly responsible for the decade+ of mediocrity despite spending crazy money. As fans we can go rounds on this point from here to kingdom come and probably never agree to disagree...

What is nearly incontrovertable at this point in time is that very good coaches do not want to work for Snyder or the Redskins and to me this is what matters most. Spags will be a great coach somewhere, he didn't like what he saw in Snyder and for that Snyder acted like an insecure little child. My best intuition is that beyond Zorn we will not see a guy of character as HC for a very long time to come (even if Danny changed his stupid ways). Snyder deserves it. We don't.
Spags has already been passed up a couple of times for head coaching jobs this offseason, and he probably will be passed up a few more times.

He may be a good head coach one day, but let's not go crowning him before he's earned anything. As a head coach, he has done nothing, I'll repeat NOTHING, that Zorn hasn't already.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #72
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Spags has already been passed up a couple of times for head coaching jobs this offseason, and he probably will be passed up a few more times.

He may be a good head coach one day, but let's not go crowning him before he's earned anything. As a head coach, he has done nothing, I'll repeat NOTHING, that Zorn hasn't already.
good point
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #73
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
... also one could rehash the whole GD travesty surrounding Gregg Williams... I've beat that horse dead a few times already and won't repeat my same old blatherings but it is still significant IMO (if for no other reason that Williams is extremely well respected around the league and it's obvious to all but a few he was smeared by Snyder and/or his people). I mean really, does anyone think the great coaches should have any respect for Snyder or want to give him a chance?
What travesty is that? Did the Snyder smear cause him to get fired in Jacksonville also? The legend of GW is greatly exaggerated. He did a nice job statistically a few seasons, but we were never a game changing defense. Never had a lot of sacks, turnovers or defensive TD, things that actually matter on the field rather than in the paper.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #74
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

I think the original post made some valid points and there are definite mistakes with the Snyder era, but it's hard to truly take it seriously when the summary is Snyder bought the team to be General Manager.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #75
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,064
Re: The Real Problem of the Redskins ...

stop with your truth and logic already!!!
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33484 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25