Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

JLC says to expect another quiet season in free agency, perhaps Snyder and company really have learned a thing or two from their past mistakes?

What Moves Will Offseason Bring? - Redskins Insider
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

One of the positives of the recession!

Seriously though, I think JLC is fairly accurate here. I think maybe one or two sort of big-name free agents, a couple of back-up types, and then just try to trade for maybe an additional two or three picks
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

I still wouldn't rule out chasing at least one big name, we'll see though. If they really are intent on focusing on the draft it would certainly be a pleasant surprise. JLC is right, if you swing and miss in the draft it's far less costly vs. doing that in free agency.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,550
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Per JLC: "I would think the Jason Taylor experience would have taught them not to deal multiple picks for older, marginal players."

Many of us thought that Snyder and Cerrato had learned their lesson on that topic before the JT trade but, alas, they hadn't.

My point is that we may think we know what the Skins key needs are but we really don't have a handle on what they might do to address them, if anything.

I hope they approach the off-season in the reasonable manner that JLC suggests but he is no insider and I doubt that he knows any more about their true plans than I do.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Redskins currently over the cap? We couldn't go after a big name even of we wanted to unless we cut someone or convince a player to renegotiate his deal.
Plus they seemed determined not to release Jason Taylor because that would admit they were wrong for giving up a high pick in the draft for Jason Taylor. So it does not seem we will not be getting that $8.5M in cap relief. We will have to count on other ways to lower our bloated cap number.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Per JLC: "I would think the Jason Taylor experience would have taught them not to deal multiple picks for older, marginal players."

Many of us thought that Snyder and Cerrato had learned their lesson on that topic before the JT trade but, alas, they hadn't.

My point is that we may think we know what the Skins key needs are but we really don't have a handle on what they might do to address them, if anything.

I hope they approach the off-season in the reasonable manner that JLC suggests but he is no insider and I doubt that he knows any more about their true plans than I do.
I would pretty much bet he's got more inside connections than your typical fan.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
One of the positives of the recession!

Seriously though, I think JLC is fairly accurate here. I think maybe one or two sort of big-name free agents, a couple of back-up types, and then just try to trade for maybe an additional two or three picks
Smoot...have you heard any rumors in your circles about the skins actually dangling Carlos in a trade? JLC keeps floating this but he seems to be the only one at this point.

It makes absolutely no sense to me...it would turn the strength of our defense into a possible weakness. Even if we sign Hall then who would start opposite him? Springs can't be counted on for 16 games even if he is on the team. Smoot is a #3 at best and Tryon is not even an NFL caliber player at this point. IMO they need to be trying to resign Carlos not trade him.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
Bill B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 721
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I still wouldn't rule out chasing at least one big name, we'll see though. If they really are intent on focusing on the draft it would certainly be a pleasant surprise. JLC is right, if you swing and miss in the draft it's far less costly vs. doing that in free agency.

My take is cut Jason Taylor, Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, and Griffin and create some big time room under the cap to sign 2-3 free agents - specifically I would add at least one lineman on both the defense and offense. Than in the draft if you can trade down and acquire an extra pick use them on drafting another lineman and a linebacker as well. Resign D. Hall, keep Carlos Rogers and Smoot for next year and how Phillip Daniels can provide more than Jason Taylor did last year for one more season. In addition even if the Skins experience another bizarre traninig camp where they lost Daniels and Buzbee on the first day - don't trade any more future picks - lets start keeping our full arsenal so we can finally start addressing depth for the future.

Last edited by Bill B; 01-16-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Smoot...have you heard any rumors in your circles about the skins actually dangling Carlos in a trade? JLC keeps floating this but he seems to be the only one at this point.

It makes absolutely no sense to me...it would turn the strength of our defense into a possible weakness. Even if we sign Hall then who would start opposite him? Springs can't be counted on for 16 games even if he is on the team. Smoot is a #3 at best and Tryon is not even an NFL caliber player at this point. IMO they need to be trying to resign Carlos not trade him.
A little bit, though not much. I mean I've heard that they're open to the idea and that he has value as trade bait that they don't really have with many other players. Players that they'd be willing to trade that is. I think that the other issue is that Rogers is apparently preparing to ask for huge, huge money and the team isn't ready to make such a commitment. I don't know what the numbers are but I think it's similar to a couple of years ago when I was telling you guys that Dockery was reportedly expected to ask for a $17 million signing bonus which we all thought was ridiculous and then...well you know the rest.

So yeah I think they're definitely discussing it and exploring the possibility but I don't know to what extent. I think the Moss discussions are actually a bit more serious.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

When can the team begin cutting/trading players? And even if they could make moves now, do you think they would wait until close to the draft anyways?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

id like to keep taylor for this season, id like to see him at 100% health plus his contract is done after the season anyways. I would be up for trading Rogers, he has done well in locking up receivers at times but corners need to make plays in terms of interceptions and he is lacking there. re-sign hall, keep springs, cut griffin and marcus washington. i hope we dont go after a high priced OT in free agency, the draft is top heavy with OTs and id rather draft one. Go after Karlos Dansby as the "big name free agent" if we do only have one. Dunta Robinson is also an interesting one, he can make plays at cornerback, not sure of the contract he would be asking for.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
id like to keep taylor for this season, id like to see him at 100% health plus his contract is done after the season anyways. I would be up for trading Rogers, he has done well in locking up receivers at times but corners need to make plays in terms of interceptions and he is lacking there. re-sign hall, keep springs, cut griffin and marcus washington. i hope we dont go after a high priced OT in free agency, the draft is top heavy with OTs and id rather draft one. Go after Karlos Dansby as the "big name free agent" if we do only have one. Dunta Robinson is also an interesting one, he can make plays at cornerback, not sure of the contract he would be asking for.
I agree with all your points except keeping Taylor. If we can get him to stay at a lower salary, sure, but not for 8.5M. When a team is rebuilding (like ours is), we cant afford to pay 8.5M to a 35year old DE who is coming off the worst year of his career and has an eye on hollywood... its just stupid, especially if the teams top priority is saving money.

Ideally, i'd like to get Taylor to sign a 1-year extension so he would cost 10M over the next 2 years... then if another team that thinks it has a chance for a superbowl run in 2009 loses a starting DE in training camp, trade Taylor to them for a 2010 draft pick. If we cant trade him, then keep him at his reduced rate. In the event we have to keep him, the bonus is it lets us put off addressing the DE position for one more year, allowing us to focus solely on OL, DT, and LB in the 2009draft.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,967
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
id like to keep taylor for this season, id like to see him at 100% health plus his contract is done after the season anyways. I would be up for trading Rogers, he has done well in locking up receivers at times but corners need to make plays in terms of interceptions and he is lacking there. re-sign hall, keep springs, cut griffin and marcus washington. i hope we dont go after a high priced OT in free agency, the draft is top heavy with OTs and id rather draft one. Go after Karlos Dansby as the "big name free agent" if we do only have one. Dunta Robinson is also an interesting one, he can make plays at cornerback, not sure of the contract he would be asking for.
Robinson is a solid CB, but he's only played about 10 games in each of the past two seasons. So why would we want to go after that when we complain about getting that out of Springs anyway right now?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I agree with all your points except keeping Taylor. If we can get him to stay at a lower salary, sure, but not for 8.5M. When a team is rebuilding (like ours is), we cant afford to pay 8.5M to a 35year old DE who is coming off the worst year of his career and has an eye on hollywood... its just stupid, especially if the teams top priority is saving money.

Ideally, i'd like to get Taylor to sign a 1-year extension so he would cost 10M over the next 2 years... then if another team that thinks it has a chance for a superbowl run in 2009 loses a starting DE in training camp, trade Taylor to them for a 2010 draft pick. If we cant trade him, then keep him at his reduced rate. In the event we have to keep him, the bonus is it lets us put off addressing the DE position for one more year, allowing us to focus solely on OL, DT, and LB in the 2009draft.
What happens if Taylor decides not to return?
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 7,505
Re: RI: What Moves Will Offseason Bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Smoot...have you heard any rumors in your circles about the skins actually dangling Carlos in a trade? JLC keeps floating this but he seems to be the only one at this point.

It makes absolutely no sense to me...it would turn the strength of our defense into a possible weakness. Even if we sign Hall then who would start opposite him? Springs can't be counted on for 16 games even if he is on the team. Smoot is a #3 at best and Tryon is not even an NFL caliber player at this point. IMO they need to be trying to resign Carlos not trade him.
I agree completley here...I thought Rogers was phenominal for us last year...and Hall has not been resigned...I still would be against this...although a secnod rounder would be nice.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31434 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25