Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I definately don't think that discussion about the QB should be off-limits, but there's absolutely nothing to talk about with Jason Campbell right now. There's his contract, but we're cap strapped, looking at an uncapped year in the future, and can negotiate with him when it makes more sense.

He's not good enough where we can start talking about pro-bowl snubs or his place among the games elite, but his development has just been so...run-of-the-mill that he just doesn't make an interesting topic of conversation.

Honestly, he hasn't deviated one bit from his expected development path. I don't think you could have scripted it to be less surprising. I don't understand where "he's just not that good." WHAT IN THE HELL WERE YOU EXPECTING?

Campbell arguments around here just suck. It's very obvious what we have in the guy. I don't have any idea how so many people are confused and don't know what we have in him.

Look, if he regresses next year (unexpectedly), then there will be some interesting Campbell topics in the off-season. Until then, I really think we need to put it to rest.
Last word, 'nuff said, case closed!
Your cool, this thread sucks, Skins 4ever...I'm out!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,427
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I definately don't think that discussion about the QB should be off-limits, but there's absolutely nothing to talk about with Jason Campbell right now. There's his contract, but we're cap strapped, looking at an uncapped year in the future, and can negotiate with him when it makes more sense.

He's not good enough where we can start talking about pro-bowl snubs or his place among the games elite, but his development has just been so...run-of-the-mill that he just doesn't make an interesting topic of conversation.

Honestly, he hasn't deviated one bit from his expected development path. I don't think you could have scripted it to be less surprising. I don't understand where "he's just not that good." WHAT IN THE HELL WERE YOU EXPECTING?

Campbell arguments around here just suck. It's very obvious what we have in the guy. I don't have any idea how so many people are confused and don't know what we have in him.

Look, if he regresses next year (unexpectedly), then there will be some interesting Campbell topics in the off-season. Until then, I really think we need to put it to rest.
Right, and if he does he probably won't be back, and we better hope Colt is ready. And if he does prove to be the QB we want him to be, we're going to have to fork over some big bucks to keep him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #18
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,213
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Ya know..I think it is funny that some say Campbell is not a fit for the west coast offense....It may be true...but if it is....it is the coaches responsibility to adapt the playbook around the abilities of the players.
Based on the theory that Campbell has a slow release...that would indicate that a good coach would adjust the playbook to do more play action, draws, reverses, sweeps and heavy up the gut running in combo of the deep ball...that sound a lot like Gibbs football plus creativity to me.

There are 2 ways to be successful
1. Hire the right guys to fit the system (depends on a good GM)
2. Change your system to adapt to the skills of the players (depends on a good Coach)

Its pretty obvious to me the Skins have consistantly tried multiple methods to maximize Campbells capability...that is actually a good sign...unfortunately, they have not found the right formula yet.

I like Campbell...I really think the blame goes to the Oline and lack of creative playcalling and protection schemes in the last half of the year. He is good folks...we are just not putting him in a position to win consistantly.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,569
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

If there is truely open competition for QB this preseason JC wont be the starter.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #20
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Ya I agree 100% about the oline falling flat at the end of the season, but I still think that Campbell isn't that great because I feel like he just goes into the huddle and says "___ I'm throwing to you. And if it not open I'm gonna run" it's like Campbell can't look at his 2nd or 3rd reads. He just looks lost a lot and sometimes looks like he was just asleep and woke up on the field of a football game.
Actually if you had been paying attention you would realize that he stares down his check down reciever and doesn't attempt passes to the primary as often as he should (says coach zorn).
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
If there is truely open competition for QB this preseason JC wont be the starter.
I like Colt as much as the next guy, but at this point JC still has the advantage.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
Special Teams
 
JLW428's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 422
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Ha! Here we go again. Couldn't we just re-open one of the 10,000,000 other threads that are EXACTLY the same as this one?
JLW428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Hey Matty. Ever thought about starting a Redskin, "We hate whoever the starting QB is at the time." site? Or maybe..." All Redskins...All Bitching!"?
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"

Last edited by 53Fan; 02-07-2009 at 09:48 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #24
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Maybe you misheard cause all I would hear is how he always looks for his first option and even if it's not open he waits for it to get open, don't you recall the announcers during the cowboys game last year saying that brian Stewart , cowboys defensive coordinator, said that Campbell stays on his first read, and that if the could take away his they would win, which they did and he was picked off... And zorn would say we'll Jason had so and so wide open down open but he was trying to get it to Clinton , or Santana when he had Devon thomas wide open...
Boy, last season worked out wonderful for Brian Stewart and his incredible powers of observation.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #25
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,908
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nflnick11 View Post
Maybe you misheard cause all I would hear is how he always looks for his first option and even if it's not open he waits for it to get open, don't you recall the announcers during the cowboys game last year saying that brian Stewart , cowboys defensive coordinator, said that Campbell stays on his first read, and that if the could take away his they would win, which they did and he was picked off... And zorn would say we'll Jason had so and so wide open down open but he was trying to get it to Clinton , or Santana when he had Devon thomas wide open...
And most people who repeat this same old mantra always ignore Zorn's criticism of Campbell's late season play when he said that Campbell was moving too quickly through his reads and missing opportunities.

This board would be so much more enjoyable and have more substance in their threads if fans would accept 3 simple truths:
1. Jason Campbell is unquestionably our QB going into the 2009 season. There will be no camp competition, nor should there be. He's going to get AT LEAST 10 games without any risk of losing his position.
2. JC and JZ are linked at the hip. If Campbell succeeds, the team succeeds and Zorn sticks around. If Campbell doesn't develop and the team struggles or is worse than this year then Zorn and Campbell will both be gone in '10. By this time next year we will know without question if JC is our QB of the future or not.
3. Colt Brennan was drafted to be a long term project and likely a career backup. He put up sick numbers in college and lit up some UPS drivers, but anyone who knows anything about football could see that even in his 'highlights' in the preseason many of his throws would have been picked or gotten his WR killed against NFL starters. Think Shane Matthews/Danny Wuerffel. Seriously. That's who he is in the NFL.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
If there is truely open competition for QB this preseason JC wont be the starter.
LA-LA Land called. They said they miss you and it's time to come home.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Wink re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
If there is truely open competition for QB this preseason JC wont be the starter.
Of course not. Randall-El's the man baby!
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #29
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
And most people who repeat this same old mantra always ignore Zorn's criticism of Campbell's late season play when he said that Campbell was moving too quickly through his reads and missing opportunities.

This board would be so much more enjoyable and have more substance in their threads if fans would accept 3 simple truths:
1. Jason Campbell is unquestionably our QB going into the 2009 season. There will be no camp competition, nor should there be. He's going to get AT LEAST 10 games without any risk of losing his position.
2. JC and JZ are linked at the hip. If Campbell succeeds, the team succeeds and Zorn sticks around. If Campbell doesn't develop and the team struggles or is worse than this year then Zorn and Campbell will both be gone in '10. By this time next year we will know without question if JC is our QB of the future or not.
3. Colt Brennan was drafted to be a long term project and likely a career backup. He put up sick numbers in college and lit up some UPS drivers, but anyone who knows anything about football could see that even in his 'highlights' in the preseason many of his throws would have been picked or gotten his WR killed against NFL starters. Think Shane Matthews/Danny Wuerffel. Seriously. That's who he is in the NFL.
Great post Paintrain.

One of the funniest things to me is for years as a fan base we bitched and moaned about our pathetic QB situation. Now we have the closest thing we've had in God knows how long to an improving, solid young (just turned 27) quarterback, and half the people want to see him either traded or benched for Colt friggin Brennan. It just baffles me. COLT BRENNAN COULDN'T BEAT OUT TODD COLLINS FOR THE #2 SPOT!!! HELLO!!??

Get your heads on straight people.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #30
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,077
re: Updated: Evaluating the QB Situation (Discuss Campbell, Colt, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Of course not. Randall-El's the man baby!
~~~~~~
Question is, would El throw down the field or constantly throw across it like he runs?

I say bring back Jay Schrader!HAHA
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44414 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25