Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


High Schoolers to enter draft

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,847
High Schoolers to enter draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751956

I'm almost positive none of them will get drafted.

But this is just a peek at what's in store. I'm scared about what's going to happen in five years.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
In other news, Ramseyfan has declared himself eligible for the upcoming NFL draft. Though Ramseyfan lacks an agent, he stands tall at 5'10", weighs in at a beefy 180 lbs., runs the 40 in under 10.9 seconds, plays at the All-Madden Level in Madden 2004, passed for over 4,000 yards and rushed for over 2,000 yards in Madden 2004, was voted an all-star in his pee-wee football league while playing safety, and can beat the crap out of kids half his size.

Whether the Chargers or the Cardinals will select Ramseyfan in the first round of the draft is unclear. Ramseyfan faces stiff competition from none other than 5 year-old Chris "Crayola in the Crevice " Mannix that many league analysts feel will be the best quarterback in the league in two decades or so.

Mannix is supposedly so devoted to training, that his parents have not taught him to read, speak English, or use a toilet in the hopes that the extra training time he gets will bring them a fifteen million dollar signing bonus.

For Ramseyfan, Mannix, and the legion of football fans across the country, April will be an exciting month for football fans.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:13 PM   #3
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,517
Hey Ramseyfan!!

hey, Ramseyfan, that was really funny!!!!!!!!!! i enjoyed your post and i wish you the best of luck this april. i hope everything turns out for you.
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,847
that was pretty funny...

so i take it that you don't think this is a bad first sign of things to come ramseyfan?
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
Camp Scrub
 
TheCDV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: D.C.
Posts: 7
The precedent that Clarett has established in the NFL is going to do nothing but hurt the NFL and the teenagers that feel that they are ready to play with the big boys. I wish that all of the owners would come to an agreement and blacklist this cancer in the draft. Nowadays, it is very difficult for something like that to happen though because every Owner is thirsting for blood. God knows Al Davis would ruin a blacklist plan like this because of the many battles that he has had with the league.

I just really can't stand this guy Clarett. He has yet to prove much to me even in the college ranks.... let alone in the NFL. He showed the propensity to get injured and not play through minor injuries in major games. His lack of heart and dedication is laughable. It would be a lot easier to stomach if this guy really was an outstanding talent and showed the dedication that it takes to be successful in the league.... but all he has done is gain 20lbs and read the Maurice Clarett headlines. What a joke this guy is..... and even if he somehow slips to the second day of the draft...I don't want anything to do with him.
TheCDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:13 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 33
Posts: 3,708
the owners may have an unspoken agreement with each other about not drafting kids out of hs, but they will probably have to deal with one or 2 of the kids getting lawyers and claiming collusion or however you spell that(my spelling sucks sometimes.) and because they aren't built enough physically, I see a grewing trend in steriod and supplement use in hs players to help them make it to the nfl until they are fully grown which would of course be a terrible blow to not only sports but these young guys' futures.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:12 AM   #7
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,210
Quote:
The precedent that Clarett has established in the NFL is going to do nothing but hurt the NFL and the teenagers that feel that they are ready to play with the big boys. I wish that all of the owners would come to an agreement and blacklist this cancer in the draft. Nowadays, it is very difficult for something like that to happen though because every Owner is thirsting for blood. God knows Al Davis would ruin a blacklist plan like this because of the many battles that he has had with the league.

I just really can't stand this guy Clarett. He has yet to prove much to me even in the college ranks.... let alone in the NFL. He showed the propensity to get injured and not play through minor injuries in major games. His lack of heart and dedication is laughable. It would be a lot easier to stomach if this guy really was an outstanding talent and showed the dedication that it takes to be successful in the league.... but all he has done is gain 20lbs and read the Maurice Clarett headlines. What a joke this guy is..... and even if he somehow slips to the second day of the draft...I don't want anything to do with him.
First of all, teams aren't forced to draft anyone they don't want to. These high school kids will not get drafted. Being an allstar in High School doesn't mean NFL teams buy it. I'm all for the Clarett ruling and I'm fine with people not having to stay in college, I also know that teams aren't going to take the huge risk of someone out of high school. However, if someone goes to college has an amazing allstar year, who are WE to keep them out of the pros. If they don't have a good team next year, their numbers could drop, along with their salary. They're trying to make a living.

I'm guessing you've never seen Clarett play or talk. This kid has more heart than most of the guys in the NFL. He knows he has a target on his chest and he has a chip on his shoulder. If he gets on a decent team that gives him a chance to start, he can be an all-pro runner. I was hoping the skins would grab him in round two, but with Portis here we have other needs to fill.

I think Clarett is an amazing talent and deserves to be in the NFL. Moreso than Mike WIlliams. At least Clarett said "Hey, I wanna play, Im gonna do something about it." Mike WIlliams just sat at USC wanting to go pro but too scared to fight the system.

Also, mind telling me what he has left to prove? Besides carrying his team to a national championship nearly singlehandedly and rushing all over everyone? Ohio State lost basicly only Clarett last year and they weren't near as good. They lost a few players, but Clarett was the impact player. I'm psyched to see him play in the pros!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
I don't like it simply because it makes the NFL more like the other less classy sports. The NFL is tough on drugs (unlike basketball and baseball). The NFL encourages kids to stay in school (unlike basketball, hockey, and baseball).
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
Special Teams
 
johnnyredskin63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 203
some of the kids who declared are'nt even all american high school players.i wonder why they think they can play in the pros if they are'nt really that good in high school?
maybe some of them do'nt have the option of going to college who knows?just like matty said,the nfl has always had more class than the other major sports.i hate to see them not find a winning way for all in dealing with this crisis,and that's what it is.
__________________
it's me,bigredskinfan63
bigledzepfan63
"the sea was red and the sky was grey,wondered how tommorow could ever follow today
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
However, if someone goes to college has an amazing allstar year, who are WE to keep them out of the pros [?]
Define "we". "WE" the fans? The fans don't have a say one way or the other. The NFL decides who gets to play in their league and who doesn't. Clarett should no more be able to demand to play in the NFL than you or I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
If they don't have a good team next year, their numbers could drop, along with their salary. They're trying to make a living.
So what? I'm trying to make a living too! That doesn't entitle me to seek a court order demanding that I get into a doctor's office to start practicing medicine because, "I'm trying to make a living!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I think Clarett is an amazing talent and deserves to be in the NFL.
Fine. He may be an amazing talent. But I disagree with your premise that he "carried his team to a national championship". Football is the ultimate team sport. No one player singlehandedly leads any team anywhere without the cooperation, talent, and motivation of other members of the team.

The NFL is a private organization, Daseal. No one should be able to sue a private organization to demand entry. Let me ask you this: Can I seek an injunction to enter your home, despite your contention that your house is private property and you have the right to let in whomever you want? According to your logic, I can. I have every right to walk into your house by the order of a court simply based upon my opinion that I "deserve" to be there. And not you, or anyone else can stop me.

How do you like that? If we follow your philosophy to its logical conclusion, nobody has any right to enjoy their property or their associations with other people exclusively. Anyone can seek a court order and barge in on your activities, your parties, your family reunions, dinner with friends, your private poker games -- at any time, for any reason, based only on the fact that they think they "deserve" to be there.

The Clarett ruling is a travesty. And it's a ruling by a judge who admitted that she had never seen more than one half of a football game in her entire life. It will destroy college football, and dilute the talent and playing level of the NFL the same way it has the NBA. More importantly, it is a further attack on privacy rights in this country. And while you think that's just fine and dandy, YOUR DAY IS COMING. Sooner or later the position you take now will come back to bite you in the ass. What goes around, comes around, my friend.

Get ready.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #11
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,497
Does it cost $ to enter the draft. Maybe I'll enter just to get my name on espn.com
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCDV
..... I wish that all of the owners would come to an agreement and blacklist this cancer in the draft.
I just really can't stand this guy Clarett. He has yet to prove much to me even in the college ranks.... let alone in the NFL. He showed the propensity to get injured and not play through minor injuries in major games. His lack of heart and dedication is laughable.
A cancer???? You guys are going overboard with this. This is not the end of the world. We do live America, right? You plan to deny a sector of our ADULT population the ability to work in the NFL because they are not old enough and might get hurt, but at the same time they are old enough to go to war and get killed? College football fans are the only one's upset with this ruling.
College students everywhere have the ability to drop out of college or decide not to go at all, in order to try out and become a member of the work force. They also have the ability to later come back to college if they want. Why can't a college football player do the same?
It seems to me the problem is with the terrible NCAA college football rules, that says if a player is drafted they lose all their college eligibility. The NCAA is a money hungry institution that hides behind the amateur sports status. The NCAA and University's can make million of dollars off the backs of players but if the player so much as gets a ride to a class, he gets suspended.
Regarding Clarett, he might be misguided, but he will be a star. I went to the Horseshoe or watched on TV every Ohio State game the year they won the NCAA Championship. Clarett played with a separated shoulder for a good part of the year. But he still lead his team in rushing on a team that could not pass and won the Championship. That very same team without Clarett the next year did not do as well.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #13
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
We do live America, right? You plan to deny a sector of our ADULT population the ability to work in the NFL because they are not old enough and might get hurt, but at the same time they are old enough to go to war and get killed? College students everywhere have the ability to drop out of college or decide not to go at all, in order to try out and become a member of the work force. They also have the ability to later come back to college if they want. Why can't a college football player do the same?
The difference is that while any college student can drop out of college to seek work, they cannot go to court and sue to get into a position the employer feels they are not qualified for. It is, after all, the employers decision whether or not they hire the applicant. In all cases, employers have certain rules applicants must follow in order to qualify for entry. Clarett sought a court order to demand the NFL abandon its eligibility rules. If that's the precedent we're trying to establish, why don't we all seek a court order to force our local newspapers to offer us a position as a commentary writer on the Sports page for the Redskins?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:01 PM   #14
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,497
Beemns, That might be the best point i have heard out of ANYONE, reporter, friend , journalist. Thats makes alot of sense, and next time I get in a argument with my friends, maybe i'll steal that one lol.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,838
So an emloyer can set up a job qualification like all employees must white and deny all minority's the job? I am not a laywer (so i might be wrong) but I think there are laws that say employers can not discriminate because of race, religion and age. There are child protection laws that prevent the hiring of someone under a certain age (14?).
If you are old enough to be drafted by our goverment to go to war and die, you are old enough to work in any field.
Correct me if am wrong, but aren't there brilliant minds in our country that accelerate their education and graduate from college and somtimes medical or law school way before thier time. Do we deny them the ability to work?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38871 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25