Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Seems like Cutler might be available.

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #286
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Campbell is like a large Millstone around Zorns neck. Zorns best change to extend his head coaching career beyond 2009 is to get a quarterback capeable of growing and improving in his system. If Zorn sticks with campbell all year, its almost 100% garaunteed that BOTH will be gone next year.



which is easier - to invest everything you have and rework your entire offense to help make one mediocre quarterback look good.... or just go get yourself a good quarterback who can make everyone around him look better?

As far as Cutler wanting more money... he will, but not now. We wouldnt have to worry about extending him until next year if we brought him here.

That said, i dont really think we'd land Cutler, even if we were really going after him.
Would you have made the same argument about Hasselback when he was benched by Zorn? or, if you were a Seattle fan, would you have been happy when they went to the SB with Hasselback.

Something else about this: if Zorn wanted Campbell gone, I guarantee he would be gone. Why, 1) because his career is on the line, 2) his reputation is on the line, 3) Danny seems really to listen to his coaches (some may disagree, but I think he always has), and 4) I don't believe salary cap wise its impossible like CP or JJ. So you can't say JC is a millstone, it is more so the girl he has brought to the party.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #287
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,830
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Post on RI:

Well here’s the latest rumor on this Cutler saga so take it for what it’s worth. According to the Bleacher report, yes I know… risky, it’s a three-way trade with Cutler, Scheffler and a Browns 3rd round pick going to Washington, Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell and a Denver 5th rounder to Cleveland and Brady Quinn and Washington S LaRon Landry going to Denver
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #288
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Post on RI:

Well here’s the latest rumor on this Cutler saga so take it for what it’s worth. According to the Bleacher report, yes I know… risky, it’s a three-way trade with Cutler, Scheffler and a Browns 3rd round pick going to Washington, Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell and a Denver 5th rounder to Cleveland and Brady Quinn and Washington S LaRon Landry going to Denver
That's the article that started all this nonsense.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #289
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,420
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Here's something a little more reliable:

The Jay Cutler Speculation: We continue to hear nothing tangible about this "trade" whatsoever. Vinny Cerrato has denied it up and down, not just to the media but to football people around the league. He's also denied it to agents for some Redskins players, according to league sources, some of whom could be potentially directly affected by the alleged swap(s). It's one thing to be less that truthful with the media and fans, and quite another to do so with people you hope to maintain an ongoing business relationship with.

Make no mistake, there was some chatter going around the league earlier this week, unsubstantiated talk and not backed up by fact (the kind of gosspi that is a part of any business/corporation/league), that the Skins had a thing for the Denver QB. But it's quite another to report the inner workings of alleged three-way blockbuster deals as if they are potentially imminent. And, again, fitting a guy like Cutler under the cap, and absorbing massive cap hits from dealing guys like Chris Cooley, at a time when you only have the space to offer vet minimum deals for potential starters, is still something that seems impossible and render such deals as nonstarters.

Weekly Round-Up: Obligatory Cutler Stuff, Free Agent Wrap, Etc. - Redskins Insider
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #290
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,830
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

^ NO makes to much sense! I won't beleive it.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #291
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Post on RI:

Well here’s the latest rumor on this Cutler saga so take it for what it’s worth. According to the Bleacher report, yes I know… risky, it’s a three-way trade with Cutler, Scheffler and a Browns 3rd round pick going to Washington, Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell and a Denver 5th rounder to Cleveland and Brady Quinn and Washington S LaRon Landry going to Denver
So we'd lose CC, JC, LL for Cutler, Scheffler, and a 3rd.

You just don't give up a talented young safety, a PB TE, and a solid QB for much less. It's all speculation anyway. I hope.

I wouldn't want this to happen, but i do happen to think the Jay Cutler is really good. Really good.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #292
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
which is easier - to invest everything you have and rework your entire offense to help make one mediocre quarterback look good.... or just go get yourself a good quarterback who can make everyone around him look better?

As far as Cutler wanting more money... he will, but not now. We wouldnt have to worry about extending him until next year if we brought him here.

That said, i dont really think we'd land Cutler, even if we were really going after him.
Okay, you've missed the point above. This isn't mediocre Jason Campbell vs. superior/all-mighty Jay Cutler. This is two players with the same exact skill set and career background, except one has a tendency to go downfield more often (higher YPA) and more efficiently, and is also far more prone to the big mistake (much higher INT rate) than the other.

And if you're asking which player fits better in Zorn's philosophy to micromanage the entire game, it's no question that Jason Campbell fits better.

But here's the really offensive thing: we have the undervalued player, and they have the overvalued player. So if there's anything serious about the trade talks, we've already committed an error. Well, the other offensive thing is that you think that Jay Cutler can be magically successful here if we don't rework the offensive line. Uh, no, no he cannot. Cutler is a young guy long on potential (like Campbell), but neither of them has ever posted a QB rating above 90. If you honestly think that coming here is going to put him over the hump into the elite "holier than Campbell" category, then you are very, very mistaken.

There's no question that Cutler will change the dynamic of our passing game. He just likely wouldn't make it any better.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #293
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

None of this is because Jay Cutler isn't a good quarterback. He is. The Denver offense around him isn't exactly the most impressive passing offense we've ever seen.

But the Redskins are a team with a weak OL and no go-to receiver. The QB and Running game is pretty much all this team has.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #294
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
So we'd lose CC, JC, LL for Cutler, Scheffler, and a 3rd.

You just don't give up a talented young safety, a PB TE, and a solid QB for much less. It's all speculation anyway. I hope.

I wouldn't want this to happen, but i do happen to think the Jay Cutler is really good. Really good.
actually, the Browns dont have a thirds, so we'd lose all that for just Cutler and Shaffer... and theres no way the salary cap would allow that trade... which is why i stopped going to the bleacherreport... they made up crap and speculated to get hits on their website.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #295
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

BHA,

Jason Campbell Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jay Cutler Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm not making this up when I say they look very, very similar statistically. You can see for yourself. You just have to stop looking at it from the ABC (anyone but Campbell) mentality to see that Cutler is not a significant upgrade, and that we need to fix the problems around the quarterback to get pro-bowl type production.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #296
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,420
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Any good QB needs a good cast to be successful. If you took Brady or Manning and put them on the Bengals, they would struggle. Hell just look at Carson Palmer and the nosedive he's taken there. As the team has fallen apart so has his game.

I don't know why some think you can just plug a new QB in the same situation and expect drastically different results.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #297
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Okay, you've missed the point above. This isn't mediocre Jason Campbell vs. superior/all-mighty Jay Cutler. This is two players with the same exact skill set and career background, except one has a tendency to go downfield more often (higher YPA) and more efficiently, and is also far more prone to the big mistake (much higher INT rate) than the other.

And if you're asking which player fits better in Zorn's philosophy to micromanage the entire game, it's no question that Jason Campbell fits better.
How can you claim (with a straight face) that Campbell fits Zorns offense better? I cant think of many worse mis-matches in football today. Campbells improvement (primarily fewer fumbles and INTs) is nothing more than a testament to Zorns teaching ability combined with Campbell being too scared to make a mistake. Cutler is by far a better QB for Zorns system and I have no doubt Cutler would cut his INTs in half and fumble less here. Cutler also had far fewer offensive weapons and a weaker offensive line and running back than Campbell has been blessed with.

Campbell has been given more tools to succeed than most young quarterbacks and he continues to fall short.

Quote:
But here's the really offensive thing: we have the undervalued player, and they have the overvalued player. So if there's anything serious about the trade talks, we've already committed an error. Well, the other offensive thing is that you think that Jay Cutler can be magically successful here if we don't rework the offensive line. Uh, no, no he cannot. Cutler is a young guy long on potential (like Campbell), but neither of them has ever posted a QB rating above 90. If you honestly think that coming here is going to put him over the hump into the elite "holier than Campbell" category, then you are very, very mistaken.

There's no question that Cutler will change the dynamic of our passing game. He just likely wouldn't make it any better.
I dont think Campbell is undervalued or Cutler is overvalued at all. Campbell is nothing more than a mediocre quarterback. He's average. Cutler has been extremely impressive on a team with a horrible defense, weak offensive line, weak running game, although with better receivers than what Campbell had in washington. If Campbell had been behind denvers line and with their defense last year, theres no question he'd have been cut or traded already. The Campbell/Zorn marriage is never going to be successful. So far, chosing Zorn to be OC and later HC while keeping Campbell, is by far the worst thing Cerrato and Snyder have done in recent memory.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #298
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Any good QB needs a good cast to be successful. If you took Brady or Manning and put them on the Bengals, they would struggle. Hell just look at Carson Palmer and the nosedive he's taken there. As the team has fallen apart so has his game.

I don't know why some think you can just plug a new QB in the same situation and expect drastically different results.
I do know if Campbell made decisions as fast and released the ball as fast as Cutler, we'd have won more games last year. Campbell holds on to the ball far too long. Our offensive line declined last year but it was still above average. Campbell simply takes too long to make decisions and holds on to the ball too long. He's had the same problem in every system he's ever been in. Its unreasonable to think he's going to change all of a sudden. I

ts going to take YEARS to rebuild our offensive line so that its dramatically better than the one we had last year. So what do we do? keep a slow quarterback 3-4 years and hope when our lines better he can finally be a franchise QB? Or simply find a guy know who can make quicker decisions to compensate for your line?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #299
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,420
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Well by year's end we'll know if JC is the real deal or not. Until then this debate is kinda silly considering the chance of Cutler coming here is pretty much zero.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #300
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Seems like Cutler might be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
How can you claim (with a straight face) that Campbell fits Zorns offense better? I cant think of many worse mis-matches in football today. Campbells improvement (primarily fewer fumbles and INTs) is nothing more than a testament to Zorns teaching ability combined with Campbell being too scared to make a mistake. Cutler is by far a better QB for Zorns system and I have no doubt Cutler would cut his INTs in half and fumble less here. Cutler also had far fewer offensive weapons and a weaker offensive line and running back than Campbell has been blessed with.

Campbell has been given more tools to succeed than most young quarterbacks and he continues to fall short.



I dont think Campbell is undervalued or Cutler is overvalued at all. Campbell is nothing more than a mediocre quarterback. He's average. Cutler has been extremely impressive on a team with a horrible defense, weak offensive line, weak running game, although with better receivers than what Campbell had in washington. If Campbell had been behind denvers line and with their defense last year, theres no question he'd have been cut or traded already. The Campbell/Zorn marriage is never going to be successful. So far, chosing Zorn to be OC and later HC while keeping Campbell, is by far the worst thing Cerrato and Snyder have done in recent memory.
I don't like the term "average" because too often, it is used to make an above average player seem worse than he really is. I don't know what you define as average, BHA, and it's very possible that Campbell is only average. But, then you see Cutler as better than average. But they are very similar players. So, you're putting one guy down (who happens to be the QB of your favorite team), to the point where you are clearly undervaluing his skill set in order to try to make a point.

Here's the thing: according to Football Outsiders, in 2008, the average performance from a quarterback was Dan Orlovsky/Trent Edwards

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008

In their stats, an average performance always seems to be weighed down by the very worst players of the year, so average always comes out between the 20-25th best player at the position. This is only one way to define average, but I do not reject their assumption that there are more above average QBs in this league that start than below average QBs.

As you can see, Cutler was clearly more effective in Denver's offense last year than Campbell was in the Redskins. I am not disputing this. I'm disputing two things:

1) Why you think that Zorn's conservative, fundamentals-heavy style will mesh better with Cutler's caution-to-the-wind playing style than Campbell's.

and

2) When you replace Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal with Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El, and replace the Denver OL with the Washington OL, how you don't account for a significant drop in Cutler's output.

Obviously, if we don't improve on offense, Cutler isn't going to be as good here as he was in Denver. If we DO improve, he probably would be. And obviously, Campbell will be much better as well.

Quote:

Campbell has been given more tools to succeed than most young quarterbacks and he continues to fall short.
What he's been given is a bunch of different terminology, and short, underwhelming receivers, and an aging OL. That's a lot of tools, but I would argue that save for an expansion team, that's pretty much as tough a situation as it gets for a young QB.

I kept a straight face though most of your points, but that one there was a little over the top, wouldn't you say?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45961 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25