Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post
man life vest or not...you'd think it'd be hard to survive floating in the water overnight wouldn't you? I'm not that experienced of a waterman myself, but I think that it would still be dangerous. I've got it on ESPN news all day here at the house. I"ll write something if I hear anything.
Well, if they had life vests and the boat to hold on to, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to make it through one night. The water off the gulf coast in SW Florida is pretty warm. I'm guessing they weren't wearing their vests when the boat flipped. Regardless it's a really sad situation.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #32
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well, if they had life vests and the boat to hold on to, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to make it through one night. The water off the gulf coast in SW Florida is pretty warm. I'm guessing they weren't wearing their vests when the boat flipped. Regardless it's a really sad situation.
Well the seas that night were around 13 to 15 feet from what I read. Staying with a boat in those conditions was probably pretty tough. If the other guys had on life vest there is still a good chance they are still alive.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #33
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well the seas that night were around 13 to 15 feet from what I read. Staying with a boat in those conditions was probably pretty tough. If the other guys had on life vest there is still a good chance they are still alive.
Oh wow. I didn't hear that. That's really rough.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #34
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 12,155
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Man I hope they find the other three guys. What a horrible situation. If the other three didn't have life vests on I doubt they would make it, they wouldn't be able to stay afloat for very long and they'd probably try too hard to compensate and end up tiring faster.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #35
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,571
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Man, I cannot imagine what they were thinking. It was very windy all along the Gulf Coast for several days now
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #36
Impact Rookie
 
tootergray34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

not looking good fellas, life vests or not, 2 days in the water...I just don't see how somebody could survive that long.
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 34
Posts: 2,836
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

According to the paper today 18 hours in water of that temperature (around 65 degrees) would lead to hypothermia. As we've exited that window you have to start perparing yourself for the worst, barring a miracle.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
The Starter
 
RedskinPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Camino,Ca
Posts: 1,174
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Schuyler: 'Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith Left Life Jackets, Drifted Off to Sea' -- FanHouse

Wow you have to read this about these men that went out on the boat.....That is really out there!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
Impact Rookie
 
tootergray34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

they've called off the search at 6:30 PM tonight (Tuesday the 3rd.) I am to assume they are to declare them dead. It was been a couple days and they have not been found. Such a sad sad story.

I'm curious as to what they were doing so far out in the ocean! It said they were around 30 miles off the coast when they were capsized. I really hope by some miracle they get found, it's so sad.
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 4,495
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post
they've called off the search at 6:30 PM tonight (Tuesday the 3rd.) I am to assume they are to declare them dead. It was been a couple days and they have not been found. Such a sad sad story.

I'm curious as to what they were doing so far out in the ocean! It said they were around 30 miles off the coast when they were capsized. I really hope by some miracle they get found, it's so sad.
Doesn't sound like you've ever been off shore fishing? 30 miles is nothing.

The conditions where the key factor in this tragedy from everything I've read about this story.

It is hard to believe they just gave up on there lives and drifted off to there death, sad. I hope there bodies are found, but thats about a 50/50 shot at best, so the families can lay them to rest.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post
they've called off the search at 6:30 PM tonight (Tuesday the 3rd.) I am to assume they are to declare them dead. It was been a couple days and they have not been found. Such a sad sad story.

I'm curious as to what they were doing so far out in the ocean! It said they were around 30 miles off the coast when they were capsized. I really hope by some miracle they get found, it's so sad.
What does'nt make sence to me is how they got seperated. One guy was able to climb on hull and stay there. I would assume that the others were unconcious but the story says they were all able to swim under the boat to get life preservers. so why would they not all climb on the hull or at least tie off to each other or the boat. Usually the docking ropes are always connected to the cleats. Doesnt make sence. Im assuming this was a 21' carolina skiff, but I havnt heard of the make of the boat other than it was a everglades boat. which means it has a flat bottom and foam filled. If that is the case there is plenty of room for the guys to all fit on the hull. But its also crazy to take a skiff or a simular type of boat out past 10 miles. So my guess on the type of boat may be way off
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #42
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,960
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Given they were in their physical prime, I could see if the mentality became "F--- this." and instead of sitting and waiting, they believed they could swim for it and make it. I could not imagine thinking that, but these guys train their bodies to the max, and maybe sitting waiting for someone to come rescue them really drove them bonkers.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #43
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 50
Posts: 4,495
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
What does'nt make sence to me is how they got seperated. One guy was able to climb on hull and stay there. I would assume that the others were unconcious but the story says they were all able to swim under the boat to get life preservers. so why would they not all climb on the hull or at least tie off to each other or the boat. Usually the docking ropes are always connected to the cleats. Doesnt make sence. Im assuming this was a 21' carolina skiff, but I havnt heard of the make of the boat other than it was a everglades boat. which means it has a flat bottom and foam filled. If that is the case there is plenty of room for the guys to all fit on the hull. But its also crazy to take a skiff or a simular type of boat out past 10 miles. So my guess on the type of boat may be way off
No it wasn't a Carolina skiff. It was a 21' Everglades CC, V-birth. Read the article.

Coast Guard finds one man clinging to boat - St. Petersburg Times
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #44
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
No it wasn't a Carolina skiff. It was a 21' Everglades CC, V-birth. Read the article.

Coast Guard finds one man clinging to boat - St. Petersburg Times
My bad. I was going off a earlier article which didnt disclose the type of boat. Thanks for the link.

With that said, I would still like to know how they got seperated. One guy was able to climb on hull and stay there. I would assume that the others were unconcious but an earlier article stated they were all able to swim under the boat to get life preservers. so why would they not all climb on the hull or at least tie off to each other or the boat. Usually the docking ropes are always connected to the cleats. I still hope they are somehow alive and found. Very sad.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #45
Impact Rookie
 
Bubba305-ST21-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Age: 27
Posts: 683
re: Updated: Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Missing NFL Players

my prayers go out to the family and friends of these players. This could have happend to anyone, it really is ashame.
__________________
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28878 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25