Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #61
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,848
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Honestly none of your points, or anyone else's that I've seen, make me think Hixon is a major problem. It seems that some people have taken issue with the WR play, which to me is more due to a lack of overall talent than a coaching issue, and blown it up into this contrived drama that Hixon is a major liability on the staff. I think it just goes along with the general thinking that coaching is the end all answer when a player struggles.

I mean the guy has a pretty good coaching resume. He has 30 years of coaching experience in college and the pros, and I'm supposed to believe some armchair Joe knows what's up as opposed to him? And I'm not sure why people overlook the fact that Moss and Randle El have put up a career years under him.

I just don't see any solid proof that Hixon is a liability on the staff. If he was so bad why hasn't he been replaced by now? Why no internal rumblings that his job is on the line? Why didn't Zorn bring in one of his own guys when he took over?

I'll be really interested to see what people think of him by year's end if Thomas/Kelly develop. Will people give Hixon the proper credit?
Thanks for the answer. I hope both WRs produce big time, and yes, if they do, I will absolutely give Hixon solid credit since he has been with them from day one.

I give the FO/coaches lots of credit, and I know I don't know better than them. As is the case with most of this board, I am just a fan who is wondering aloud about the topics that interest me. That includes whether or not there is a better WR coach available. After 6 years in the pros, and no major talent developed, in my lowly opinion, I think it is at least fair to ask.

As for Hixon's 30 year career that you reference, only 6 was in the pros and that was all here. Yes he did ok at the college level, but he also moved from job to job about every 3-4 years. I would say that is possibly unusual for a college position coach. But again I don't really know, it could also be very common.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #62
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,988
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

What "major talent" has he been given to develop other than Thomas and Kelly last year?

It's not like fan heros like Anthony Mix or Mike Espy have gone on to tear things up with other teams.

If that was the case I might say yeah, Hixon has blown the chances he's had to develop quality young talent. Problem is I don't see where he's been given much to deal with.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #63
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,848
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

I know there was a list of all the receivers that have been under him, something like 28 different receivers, at some point I believe he has some say as to what receivers he thinks will be best.

Again, my only question is: Is there no other coach who could possibly be better? If the FO answer is no, as it seems to be, I simply can't wrap my puny little brain around that answer. Somehow, if in 6 years he can't get the FO to bring in even one young talent that he can develop, than to me, he is the guy on staff who knows just enough to keep collecting a paycheck. He does nothing to harm, and he is a nice guy, and well he tries really hard.

I hope that at the end of the season MK and/or DT have busted their tails and everyone is singing Hixons praises. It really is a simple cure.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #64
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I know there was a list of all the receivers that have been under him, something like 28 different receivers, at some point I believe he has some say as to what receivers he thinks will be best.

Again, my only question is: Is there no other coach who could possibly be better? If the FO answer is no, as it seems to be, I simply can't wrap my puny little brain around that answer. Somehow, if in 6 years he can't get the FO to bring in even one young talent that he can develop, than to me, he is the guy on staff who knows just enough to keep collecting a paycheck. He does nothing to harm, and he is a nice guy, and well he tries really hard.

I hope that at the end of the season MK and/or DT have busted their tails and everyone is singing Hixons praises. It really is a simple cure.
I can only hope your correct, however a recent article on the Redskins blog has not helped to change my oppinion.
Quote:
The most interesting part of the day, though, was the guy in the salmon-colored polo here. That's Hall of Fame wide receiver, old pal and former teammate of Jim Zorn, and former Congressman Steve Largent. He was watching practice today as a guest of Coach Zorn's, paying special attention to the wide receivers.
So much special attention that he actually called them into a huddle at one point during practice to explain a few things. "Yeah, he talked to us for a second," Devin Thomas told me afterward. "Matter of fact, he was giving us a lot of tips out there on the field, little things he was noticing we were doing that could help us make better plays."

And did you listen? "Of course. He's a Hall of Famer, man. You gotta soak up things when guys like that come out and share their experiences."

So? What kind of stuff was it. "Little things. Like, he was telling us to keep our eyes downfield -- you get caught looking at the ground or looking at where you're gonna break, so he just made sure to reiterate that we should look downfield. We started doing that and did a lot better today."
If Hixon was so good then why did someone not associated with the team have to stop practice and give pointers to all the players?

If Hixon is so good why is it we keep hearing how both Moss and ARE were giving pointers to DT and MK?

Hixon is the position coach. He should be the one to be observing what they are doing and teaching/coaching all the players on what they could do better or do to make themselves better. Whats he doing simply making sure their endurance is up to par....I guess not cause DT and MK both failed their team drill in preseason last yr. Are the WR's coaching themselves?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #65
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

My other soap box. ...I havn't heard a thing about Byron Westbrook? We waisted a roster spot for him for what 3 yrs now as a Practice Squad member and finally had to sign him to the team. I'm sure if he was any good he would have been utilized on the field before Tryon. Tryon was a Rookie last yr and Westbrook still could not beat him out. The expierment is over let him go. He's not as good as his brother. Fill the spot will this yrs Rookie Barnes from Maryland.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #66
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Speaking of Tryon

Monday, June 8: Jerry Gray Talks Coaching Cornerbacks and The Toughest Job Interview On Earth
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #67
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,362
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Mike espy was good he never got a real chance here
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #68
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,596
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Good interview, I sure hope he's right about Tryon..

If Blaches, and that is IF, retires then I definitely would like Gray to take over as defensive coordinator.. He seems like the guy who understands the processing and games..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #69
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
My other soap box. ...I havn't heard a thing about Byron Westbrook? We waisted a roster spot for him for what 3 yrs now as a Practice Squad member and finally had to sign him to the team. I'm sure if he was any good he would have been utilized on the field before Tryon. Tryon was a Rookie last yr and Westbrook still could not beat him out. The expierment is over let him go. He's not as good as his brother. Fill the spot will this yrs Rookie Barnes from Maryland.
Completley agree man. I don't know why he's still here waisting a spot on our team. Honestly this seems like a DS move using little Westbrook's pedigree for his gain.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #70
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I can only hope your correct, however a recent article on the Redskins blog has not helped to change my oppinion.


If Hixon was so good then why did someone not associated with the team have to stop practice and give pointers to all the players?

If Hixon is so good why is it we keep hearing how both Moss and ARE were giving pointers to DT and MK?

Hixon is the position coach. He should be the one to be observing what they are doing and teaching/coaching all the players on what they could do better or do to make themselves better. Whats he doing simply making sure their endurance is up to par....I guess not cause DT and MK both failed their team drill in preseason last yr. Are the WR's coaching themselves?
Vet receivers always help out the younger guys, it really happens at pretty much all positions; we don't know that Hixon hasn't been giving those types of pointers really, maybe he is?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #71
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Completley agree man. I don't know why he's still here waisting a spot on our team. Honestly this seems like a DS move using little Westbrook's pedigree for his gain.
That seems like a bit of a stretch. I doubt he makes the roster this year, and I'm a bit surprised he's lasted this long but really what does Snyder have to gain with Westbrook's pedigree?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #72
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
That seems like a bit of a stretch. I doubt he makes the roster this year, and I'm a bit surprised he's lasted this long but really what does Snyder have to gain with Westbrook's pedigree?
I'm just looking for some logical reasons why he's still around, because it's definitely not for his play.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #73
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Vet receivers always help out the younger guys, it really happens at pretty much all positions; we don't know that Hixon hasn't been giving those types of pointers really, maybe he is?
I'll say it here. "If" the WR's kick it this yr and do exceptionally well and we put up a ton of points.......I'll be the first to say I was wrong about Hixon. Maybe now that he has some extra tools to work with ie; DT and MK the WR corpse will look better. but he's been here what 4 or 5 yrs and other then Moss I've seen little. Again maybe it's lack of talent and he was forced to use ARE as a #2, and no developing of younger talent. Well he has the younger talent now. If they turn out to be scoring machines then I'll honestly change my stance and say I was wrong.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #74
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,224
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
I'm just looking for some logical reasons why he's still around, because it's definitely not for his play.

well, because at the time the other backup corners sucked...you could even legitamately argue that Tryon was worse last preseason....he sucked bad.
But, he made the team because he was a draft pick and had long term potential...If I were coach....and I am sure you guys are glad I am not...I would have cut both of em.
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #75
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Redskins June 2009 OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
well, because at the time the other backup corners sucked...you could even legitamately argue that Tryon was worse last preseason....he sucked bad.
But, he made the team because he was a draft pick and had long term potential...If I were coach....and I am sure you guys are glad I am not...I would have cut both of em.
Oh I'll agree with you. but what does it say about Westbrook when a Rookie (Tryon) who sucks beats you out? I think Tryon is a long term potential. Yes he got beat a couple of times but he also made a couple of good plays. We havn't even seen Westbrook. Except in preseason.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34041 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25