Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #31
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Let's see if there's enough room for changes?

WR - depends on the development of Thomas and Kelly. Randle El and Moss are locks
OL - Dock, and the trio fighting for RT.
QB - We all know who it is this year. Collins is more comfortable and Colt has a year in at least some sort of practicing in the offense
TE - already have a stud, could have another.
HB - Feature back is set, could use a speedster(Dorsey/Alridge)
FB - All set
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #32
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,311
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Are we focused on our defense to much? The answer is no. Our defense has played extremely well ever since Gregg Williams and Greg Blache have came to DC. However our defense has not sacked the QB or forced enough turnovers to change the out come of games. We need more scoring from our defense to help our lack of offense of productions.

Lets remind ourselves that since Joe Gibbs was rehired our offense has changed every year until this season with Zorn returning for his 2nd season. Im not a NFL player but that doesnt seem to help build chemistry with the offense, changing schemes every season. Gibbs and Al Saunders had different ideas of how the offense would be productive. This leads me to the reason why I believe Jason Campbell's developement has been slowed down. As we know Jason shows signs of a very good QB but other times he holds the ball to long and takes sacks. I truly believe this will be the season that Jason will become an elite QB in the NFL. Remember I said it right here. This means our offense will produce points and have the lead in the 4th, giving our defense the edge. It's much easier to play defense when your ahead in the game.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #33
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,311
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaGodsSafety View Post
I think we did the right thing by bolstering the d-line. That way the linebackers can get busy. I think alot of what hurt our offense was field position. With a better defense we will get the turnovers and better field position. And turnovers are momentum shifters.
I agree 100%
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #34
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,334
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Are we focused on our defense to much? The answer is no. Our defense has played extremely well ever since Gregg Williams and Greg Blache have came to DC. However our defense has not sacked the QB or forced enough turnovers to change the out come of games. We need more scoring from our defense to help our lack of offense of productions.

Lets remind ourselves that since Joe Gibbs was rehired our offense has changed every year until this season with Zorn returning for his 2nd season. Im not a NFL player but that doesnt seem to help build chemistry with the offense, changing schemes every season. Gibbs and Al Saunders had different ideas of how the offense would be productive. This leads me to the reason why I believe Jason Campbell's developement has been slowed down. As we know Jason shows signs of a very good QB but other times he holds the ball to long and takes sacks. I truly believe this will be the season that Jason will become an elite QB in the NFL. Remember I said it right here. This means our offense will produce points and have the lead in the 4th, giving our defense the edge. It's much easier to play defense when your ahead in the game.
Excellent point. Successful teams such as the Colts and Pats, even NFC East foes such as the Giants and Eagles, have had continuity in their offensive coaching/gameplay.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #35
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,311
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I wholeheartedly agree and want to add that if our young guys do play up to potential we have every reason to believe that we will be in contention for years to come. I think we simply have to be patient and let the building process come to fruition, with this year showing us the firstfruits of the FO decisions.
Its our time now to Rule the NFC. We been building and reloading but its now our time for this team to step up and knock the hell out the teams we play. Hail Redskins
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #36
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,311
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Excellent point. Successful teams such as the Colts and Pats, even NFC East foes such as the Giants and Eagles, have had continuity in their offensive coaching/gameplay.
Thanks Sir, just my observation as a long time die hard Redskins fan. Lets support our team who ever is the QB and coach. I believe we do have a plan that the Front Office is working on to bring us back to our Championship ways.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #37
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,416
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I don't think anyone on this board would argue that our offense doesn't need to get better. From JC right on down. Actually from the offensive playcalling right on down. I just find it harder to believe that we won't get better than to believe we will.
I find your point of view to be fair, reasonable and heartfelt. It's just common sense that we should improve on offense.

But that's not what worries me about the offense. I'm concerned about the cumulative injuries to our veteran starters on the OL. For example, I just can't get comfortable with Randy Thomas as a starter at this point in his career because of his neck and the other serious injuries he has suffered. Truthfully, I doubt that he'll even last through the first eight games. Chris Samuels is going to miss some time or be slowed by injury again this year. Why? Because it always happens to him. If Rabach should miss time with an injury we have nobody to back him up. These things worry me because, frankly, I'm unimpressed with our OL depth.

I think we need to trade for starting RG now. Also, we must have a veteran C or C/G to backup Rabach. If need be, we can look to add that player as other teams make roster moves. Beyond that, we need to leave no stone unturned in looking to improve our OL depth.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #38
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,689
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I find your point of view to be fair, reasonable and heartfelt. It's just common sense that we should improve on offense.

But that's not what worries me about the offense. I'm concerned about the cumulative injuries to our veteran starters on the OL. For example, I just can't get comfortable with Randy Thomas as a starter at this point in his career because of his neck and the other serious injuries he has suffered. Truthfully, I doubt that he'll even last through the first eight games. Chris Samuels is going to miss some time or be slowed by injury again this year. Why? Because it always happens to him. If Rabach should miss time with an injury we have nobody to back him up. These things worry me because, frankly, I'm unimpressed with our OL depth.

I think we need to trade for starting RG now. Also, we must have a veteran C or C/G to backup Rabach. If need be, we can look to add that player as other teams make roster moves. Beyond that, we need to leave no stone unturned in looking to improve our OL depth.
You're right. The OL could be a major problem this year, but it goes back to draft philosophy. IMO, they should be using the early rounds to draft beef on both sides of the line and the later rounds to fill the skill positions. Kelly, Thomas and Davis could have been 3 head of cattle. When the Skins were dominant, it was because they were stout on both sides of the line of scrimmage, not because they had HOF caliber players at every skill position.

It seemed like they could put anyone in at QB, WR or RB and the offense kept motoring along (see modern day examples: Ravens, Giants, Titans, Steelers, Patriots, etc.). Look at Rypien's stats in 91. He was sacked only 9 times. Good QBs become great QBs when they have all day to pass and good WRs become great WRs when they have all day to get open and good RBs become great RBs when they have massive holes to run through. Same goes for the D line. If we're in the opposing QB's face all day, a good secondary becomes a great secondary. Unfortunately, it works in reverse as well. Bad line play makes everyone else look bad.

It's all been said here before, so I'm just re-hashing.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #39
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,124
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

I would have liked to see the FO address the O-line with the 3rd round pick in the draft, but selecting Orakpo at #13 overall was a no-brainer. The guy was far and away the best player available, and he will improve our pass rush significantly, especially lining up next to Haynesworth on passing situations.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #40
Special Teams
 
schndr_tdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 104
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

they are getting younger on the defensive side of the ball,and offense will be focus next year.Vinny,outside of all the critisism,is doing a good job with the talent pool.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #41
Impact Rookie
 
johno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest, DC
Posts: 599
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I would have liked to see the FO address the O-line with the 3rd round pick in the draft, but selecting Orakpo at #13 overall was a no-brainer. The guy was far and away the best player available, and he will improve our pass rush significantly, especially lining up next to Haynesworth on passing situations.
I gotta agree there, we would have been crazy not to take Orakpo when he was still available at 13.

It's my thought that having a young defense with lots of upside is always a good thing, the rest of the nfc beast qbs are in store for many years of pain.

hail!
__________________
fight for old dc.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

You can never be too focused on defense. Our D will be one of, if not the best defense in the NFL this season.

We did address the o-line and Campbell will have more options this season, so we improved on both sides of the ball.


Added for emphasis about the joys of having a great defense:
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #43
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

You can never focus too much on defense i agree whole heartedley. Football Gibss style run the ball stop the run.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
You can never focus too much on defense i agree whole heartedley. Football Gibss style run the ball stop the run.
would that be Gibbs II style? Even then, Joe wanted his qb to be able to air it out, which we got to see some of (cowpokes 05 ) , just not enough. But I almost agree, the focus on the D makes a lot of sense considering draft position & f. agents out there.

IMO, just because our D was #4 at year's end, doesn't mean they didn't need help. I read somewhere recently that in the last 4 losses, the D gave up something like 8 2nd half drives of 12 plays or more. I know the O couldn't maintain the ball & clock, but I really think the D was worn out & not that good by year's end. They overachieved if anything. The front 7 would have looked really weak if not for a very strong secondary. The additions to the d-line have been long overdue & LB was a weakness aside from LF by years end.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #45
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Are the Skins too focused on defense?

When you can't stop a team from running and you have to adjust your defensive scheme, then all of a sudden Ricky Sanders 80 yards touchdown!!!!
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32635 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25