Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #46
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,880
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Augh...what a horrible news. I guess we really don't have someone that doesn't fumble and can go more than 5 yards on a return.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #47
Impact Rookie
 
JLee9718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 567
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

The Redskins need to replace ARE now, not after 6 games into the season. ARE needs to concentrate on the 2 or 3 receiver position only.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #48
The Starter
 
skinsnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,223
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Even though I do agree with the, we can't risk Moss and Hall stuff...one part of me says...if you play scared.....you lose.

Why cant Devin Thomas or one of the backup running backs do this stuff?
Or even a young backup CB?

I see not using Moss....he is our only offensive threat at WR...but Hall is less risky because we have some viable backup corners.

It really shouldn't be too hard to beat ARE's returns....heck, Rock could do it just by catching the thing and running straight ahead....if he makes the team...make him earn the bucks!
__________________
I hate Dallas...Period
skinsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #49
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,850
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Even though I do agree with the, we can't risk Moss and Hall stuff...one part of me says...if you play scared.....you lose.

Why cant Devin Thomas or one of the backup running backs do this stuff?
Or even a young backup CB?

I see not using Moss....he is our only offensive threat at WR...but Hall is less risky because we have some viable backup corners.

It really shouldn't be too hard to beat ARE's returns....heck, Rock could do it just by catching the thing and running straight ahead....if he makes the team...make him earn the bucks!
I would say that most teams in the league are not going to risk a premier player in punt returns. However, I do agree with you, I don't see how other players are not able to beat ARE.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 AM   #50
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

I love ARE's personality and attitude, but he's on the verge of being a really highly paid slot receiver who can't win the job as a punt returner.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #51
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,563
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

GTripp, have you done a breakdown of punt returns comparing ARE to anybody else who has returned a punt last season?

I don't recall anyone other than Moss but there may have been others.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #52
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

i think Thrash was actually back there for a couple
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #53
Camp Scrub
 
IMAREDSKINSFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Are they nuts again this year? Randle El sucks as a return man. If you noticed, he fell down alot whenever trying to run the ball back. I say keep him as a third WR, and let someone else return punts.
IMAREDSKINSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #54
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,538
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAREDSKINSFAN View Post
Are they nuts again this year? Randle El sucks as a return man. If you noticed, he fell down alot whenever trying to run the ball back. I say keep him as a third WR, and let someone else return punts.
Who? Who on the roster can return punts better and not fumble (fumbled punts are real killers)?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #55
Camp Scrub
 
SeanTaGodsSafety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 70
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

What happened to that kid we got from Denver the lil scat back?
__________________
"It's almost like we play a kids game for a king's ransom, and if you dont take it seriously enough, one day you're gonna say, oh I could have did this or I could have did that"

Sean Taylor
SeanTaGodsSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #56
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaGodsSafety View Post
What happened to that kid we got from Denver the lil scat back?
Aldridge? Doubt he'll make the team.


Why not Rock? He's great on KO returns.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #57
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Aldridge? Doubt he'll make the team.


Why not Rock? He's great on KO returns.
Returning punts is a very different animal than returning kickoffs. With kickoffs, Rock has plenty of room to get behind his wall of blockers and get up to full speed. He's not a much of a cutter, and can't stop on a dime and re-accelerate like successful punt return guys. He just picks a lane and runs full speed in a straight line until someone tackles him. Granted he's very good at doing so, but you won't ever see him take one to the house.

Often times when you're returning punts you have guys flying in your face, and you need to be able to get up to top speed right away. That's probably why Rock has never returned a punt for us despite behind so solid on KOs.
__________________
Insert witty signature here

Last edited by GMScud; 08-04-2009 at 02:33 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #58
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,538
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Returning punts is a very different animal than returning kickoffs. With kickoffs, Rock has plenty of room to get behind his wall of blockers and get up to full speed. He's not a much of a cutter, and can't stop on a dime and re-accelerate like successful punt return guys. He just picks a lane and runs full speed in a straight line until someone tackles him. Granted he's very good at doing so, but you won't ever see him take one to the house.

Often times when you're returning punts you have guys flying in your face, and you need to be able to get up to top speed right away. That's probably why Rock has never returned a punt for us despite behind so solid of KOs.
Excellent analysis. I would add that returning punts requires better hands than returning kickoffs. With a kickoff you have time and unopposed space to settle under the ball to catch it. On the other hand, with a punt you may have someone in your face while you are trying to catch the ball. A punt returner thus must be unflappable and glue-fingered in a way that a kickoff returner need not be.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #59
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Randle El will still be our primary punt returner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
you guys make me laugh. the same guys that cry for Moss or Hall to return punts are the same guys that will want Zorn fired if they get hurt back there.
Somehow I doubt that, quite the reactionary statement.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36681 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25