Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #151
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think we're getting away from the main point here which is: if Mark Rypien's agent was negotiating with the Skins for some obscene amount of guaranteed money, all payable the next day (say, $18 million to throw out a 1992 contract figure), he's getting laughed out of the room.

I mean, look what happened to Rypien's career following that super bowl. From the day after the super bowl on, Rypien might as well been any other guy.

Manning's future isn't quite that grim, as he should be an average to above average 10-15 range passer for the next five years, but at which point does the amount of money you are asking for get you laughed out of the room?

When you compare it to the fact that the Redskins won't even negotiate with Campbell for comprable performance, what you have is two organizations at the complete opposite end of the ridiculous spectrum. And in the middle, you have Tony Romo on a very team-friendly $9 million a year contract, and Donovan McNabb on a relatively short term deal getting paid like a franchise quarterback. Certainly, in this case, the Cowboys and Eagles have it right while the Giants and Redskins have it wrong.
Only caveat to that is that the Giants have a ring with their current QB, none of the aforementioned teams do. But your point is well taken though. I just wanted to point out that the Giants do have some hardware to show for it.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #152
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Only caveat to that is that the Giants have a ring with their current QB, none of the aforementioned teams do. But your point is well taken though. I just wanted to point out that the Giants do have some hardware to show for it.
True, but they had the hardware before this big contract. I think GTripp makes a good point about Ryp.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #153
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

So Eli 5 years in the league and in those 5 years...
started 72 straight games for the Giants........
4 straight playoff apperences
1 Super Bowl victory
1Super bowl MVP award......

How much is Haynsworth getting......................?
....1 year out of six or 7 has he played in all 16 games.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #154
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So Eli 5 years in the league and in those 5 years...
started 72 straight games for the Giants........
4 straight playoff apperences
1 Super Bowl victory
1Super bowl MVP award......

How much is Haynsworth getting......................?
....1 year out of six or 7 has he played in all 16 games.
I'm taking my 2007 Defensive POY and going home.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #155
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
. Certainly, in this case, the Cowboys and Eagles have it right while the Giants and Redskins have it wrong.
Oh really???How many super bowl rings do McNabb and Romo have?
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #156
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Oh really???How many super bowl rings to McNabb and Romo have?
Who gives a crap?
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #157
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Who gives a crap?

You must, you said they have it right,I just don't know what it is that is right?
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #158
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You must, you said they have it right,I just don't know what it is that is right?
They have contracts with their quarterbacks that don't stop them from improving their team elsewhere.

You could argue that the Cowboys in particular haven't done all that great a job building around Romo, at least not compared to the Giants or Eagles certainly, but compare the contract McNabb got to the one Eli got. They're both among the highest paid per year in the game, and you could argue that neither is a top ten QB, but McNabb's contract says: you're are quarterback of the present, we're going to pay you to win while we build for the future, while Eli's screams, "we have no plan so please win us some games this year."
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #159
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

I don't think that Eli's contract is that ridiculous. He is a proven clutch QB. Now if you want to look at idiotic contracts I would discuss Nate Clements, Asomugha or Stafford's deal before I would focus on Eli's.

I think that Eli owes a lot of this deal to Burress and a great offensive line but I don't think that the Giants made a terrible move by locking him up. In a few years this contract probably won't look so out of line.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #160
Special Teams
 
coggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: staten island
Age: 38
Posts: 457
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I don't think that Eli's contract is that ridiculous. He is a proven clutch QB. Now if you want to look at idiotic contracts I would discuss Nate Clements, Asomugha or Stafford's deal before I would focus on Eli's.

I think that Eli owes a lot of this deal to Burress and a great offensive line but I don't think that the Giants made a terrible move by locking him up. In a few years this contract probably won't look so out of line.
I think the owners would have a lockout, but could you imagine if they play with an uncapped season in 2010? Some of these owners will spend money like drunken sailors in a nudie bar and that $97MM might seem like a "bargain".
__________________
"Everyone is talking about their dynasty. Well, OUR DYNASTY STARTS TONIGHT."--Michael Strahan, pre-game huddle Pep talk, February 3rd, 2008.
coggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #161
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
McNabb's contract says: you're are quarterback of the present, we're going to pay you to win while we build for the future, while Eli's screams, "we have no plan so please win us some games this year."

LOL..........??? HUH?
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #162
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Seriously...the argument is basically "yeah but he has a ring?" HE DIDN'T WIN THEM THEIR SB. If you want to argue that he did then do so...but the fact that they won a SB with as QB. in and of itself, is not reason to give him a bank breaking deal. Is he worth it? Does paying him that money make sense? To me, no. I'd rather pay a ringless QB of comparable skill and value half that and use the other half to find some offensive weapons to help my new QB win us another SB. But that's just me I guess.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #163
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,445
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Seriously...the argument is basically "yeah but he has a ring?" HE DIDN'T WIN THEM THEIR SB. If you want to argue that he did then do so...but the fact that they won a SB with as QB. in and of itself, is not reason to give him a bank breaking deal. Is he worth it? Does paying him that money make sense? To me, no. I'd rather pay a ringless QB of comparable skill and value half that and use the other half to find some offensive weapons to help my new QB win us another SB. But that's just me I guess.
Eli didn't crumble under pressure like Romo does, either. He's gotten it done when it counts and not every middle-of-the-road qb can do that.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #164
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,995
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Seriously...the argument is basically "yeah but he has a ring?" HE DIDN'T WIN THEM THEIR SB. If you want to argue that he . But that's just me I guess.
The argument is what I posted in #154 but yes he did win their super bowl,he was the only Giant QB to take a snap and has the MVP trophy to prove it.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #165
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

I personally don't think he's worth that massive contract, but at least he has proven that he can win the superbowl. If the contract is not cap-friendly then it ties more money into one player, which is good for the redskins. But a redskins fans like myself can't really say much considering the Haynesworth deal. Now if the redskins win the superbowl, then I will do much more trash talking.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32231 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25