Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #166
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I personally don't think he's worth that massive contract, but at least he has proven that he can win the superbowl. If the contract is not cap-friendly then it ties more money into one player, which is good for the redskins. But a redskins fans like myself can't really say much considering the Haynesworth deal. Now if the redskins win the superbowl, then I will do much more trash talking.

I have a couple of issues with the "what is Haynesworth making?" argument:

One - Eli is making a lot more. Haynesworth's deal is basically 4 for $48M and I don't think they overpaid because multiple teams were in the same ballpark. The reason the Redskins landed him was they offered more guaranteed.
Two - Haynesworth is seen as the absolute best player at his position in the National Football League. He has tools that no one else at his spot possess.
Three - Our team needed a pass rusher. He fit the bill perfectly. All the early results look like he was money well spent.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #167
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I have a couple of issues with the "what is Haynesworth making?" argument:

One - Eli is making a lot more. Haynesworth's deal is basically 4 for $48M and I don't think they overpaid because multiple teams were in the same ballpark. The reason the Redskins landed him was they offered more guaranteed.
Two - Haynesworth is seen as the absolute best player at his position in the National Football League. He has tools that no one else at his spot possess.
Three - Our team needed a pass rusher. He fit the bill perfectly. All the early results look like he was money well spent.
Is there still any doubt about this? If there is, I think it will be cleared up soon enough.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #168
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I don't think that Eli's contract is that ridiculous. He is a proven clutch QB. Now if you want to look at idiotic contracts I would discuss Nate Clements, Asomugha or Stafford's deal before I would focus on Eli's.

I think that Eli owes a lot of this deal to Burress and a great offensive line but I don't think that the Giants made a terrible move by locking him up. In a few years this contract probably won't look so out of line.
I'm not buying the clutch argument. I've said it before- he had a great stretch run in 2007 that carried on into the playoffs, and he won the big one. He was also part of possibly the greatest play in Super Bowl history. I'm not trying to diminish any of that.

But if Eli's career thus far has shown us anything, it's that that phenomenal stretch in late 2007 was more an anomaly than the norm. His career passer rating is very middle of the road, and he's thrown 74 INTs in just 4 full seasons as a starter. Not to mention his yardage total last year was nearly identical to Campbell's. How clutch was he down the stretch last year? He was playing behind the best line in football with THREE very good RB's, and he still couldn't manage to throw a TD to a WR in the last 4 games. Their offense faltered, and it culminated with a downright ugly performance in a 1st round playoff loss.

He's a good QB, don't get me wrong. But he's not great, and he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB in the league. Not even close really.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #169
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm not buying the clutch argument. I've said it before- he had a great stretch run in 2007 that carried on into the playoffs, and he won the big one. He was also part of possibly the greatest play in Super Bowl history. I'm not trying to diminish any of that.

But if Eli's career thus far has shown us anything, it's that that phenomenal stretch in late 2007 was more an anomaly than the norm. His career passer rating is very middle of the road, and he's thrown 74 INTs in just 4 full seasons as a starter. Not to mention his yardage total last year was nearly identical to Campbell's. How clutch was he down the stretch last year? He was playing behind the best line in football with THREE very good RB's, and he still couldn't manage to throw a TD to a WR in the last 4 games. Their offense faltered, and it culminated with a downright ugly performance in a 1st round playoff loss.

He's a good QB, don't get me wrong. But he's not great, and he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB in the league. Not even close really.
I think this tells it pretty straight.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #170
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,060
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Eli got the going market rate for winning super bowl QB's.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #171
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Eli got the going market rate for winning super bowl QB's.
Such as Trent Dilfer's walking papers, and Brad Johnson's mythical contract extension.

Oh, you meant Brady/Peyton/Roethlisberger. Well, there's a fun game of "which one of these isn't like the others."
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #172
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,939
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Such as Trent Dilfer's walking papers, and Brad Johnson's mythical contract extension.

Oh, you meant Brady/Peyton/Roethlisberger. Well, there's a fun game of "which one of these isn't like the others."
Thank you. The SB is so thin.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #173
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm not buying the clutch argument. I've said it before- he had a great stretch run in 2007 that carried on into the playoffs, and he won the big one. He was also part of possibly the greatest play in Super Bowl history. I'm not trying to diminish any of that.

But if Eli's career thus far has shown us anything, it's that that phenomenal stretch in late 2007 was more an anomaly than the norm. His career passer rating is very middle of the road, and he's thrown 74 INTs in just 4 full seasons as a starter. Not to mention his yardage total last year was nearly identical to Campbell's. How clutch was he down the stretch last year? He was playing behind the best line in football with THREE very good RB's, and he still couldn't manage to throw a TD to a WR in the last 4 games. Their offense faltered, and it culminated with a downright ugly performance in a 1st round playoff loss.

He's a good QB, don't get me wrong. But he's not great, and he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be the highest paid QB in the league. Not even close really.
The greatest play in SB History was 70 Chip. It has just been overshadowed by the ballerina escape and circus catch which were more recently executed.

You cannot tell me that a play that goes for a touchdown is less spectacular than a play merely set up one.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #174
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
You certainly can't be putting Tyree and Manning in the same category of player.
Reading comprehension, sir. Read the last sentence.


So something scary is coming to light here...the admin of a Skins board by his own admission "does not hate the Cowboys" and now seems to be a fan of the Giants QB. What's next, you invite Philly fans to your home for BBQs on the weekends?
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster

Last edited by Monkeydad; 08-07-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #175
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
The greatest play in SB History was 70 Chip. It has just been overshadowed by the ballerina escape and circus catch which were more recently executed.

You cannot tell me that a play that goes for a touchdown is less spectacular than a play merely set up one.
My daily Redskins desk calendar today actually says that is the greatest play in SB history. Serious.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #176
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,349
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Reading comprehension, sir. Read the last sentence.


So something scary is coming to light here...the admin of a Skins board by his own admission "does not hate the Cowboys" and now seems to be a fan of the Giants QB. What's next, you invite Philly fans to your home for BBQs on the weekends?
I never said Eli was great by winning the SB. My point is once a champ always a champ, and nobody can take that away, and as a QB it adds something pretty significant to your resume. Still not sure what your point is by putting him and Tyree in the same sentence.

I'm not a fan of Eli anymore than I am of anyone else, I just think he gets a bad rap and people love to hate on him.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #177
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I have a couple of issues with the "what is Haynesworth making?" argument:

One - Eli is making a lot more. Haynesworth's deal is basically 4 for $48M and I don't think they overpaid because multiple teams were in the same ballpark. The reason the Redskins landed him was they offered more guaranteed.
Two - Haynesworth is seen as the absolute best player at his position in the National Football League. He has tools that no one else at his spot possess.
Three - Our team needed a pass rusher. He fit the bill perfectly. All the early results look like he was money well spent.
I'll buy this argument; that makes sense to me. I can also add that I think Haynesworth may be the absolute best overall defensive player in the league in terms of impact on the game.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #178
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,535
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I never said Eli was great by winning the SB. My point is once a champ always a champ, and nobody can take that away, and as a QB it adds something pretty significant to your resume. Still not sure what your point is by putting him and Tyree in the same sentence.

I'm not a fan of Eli anymore than I am of anyone else, I just think he gets a bad rap and people love to hate on him.
Throw in a couple of steroid allegation and an affair with a hooker and lets watch what happens.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #179
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
The greatest play in SB History was 70 Chip. It has just been overshadowed by the ballerina escape and circus catch which were more recently executed.

You cannot tell me that a play that goes for a touchdown is less spectacular than a play merely set up one.
You're right. It is. I said Eli's play was "possibly" the greatest. I guess it's debatable (not amongst Skins fans though).
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #180
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Eli Manning's 6-Year, $97.5 Million Extension One of NFL's Biggest Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
You're right. It is. I said Eli's play was "possibly" the greatest. I guess it's debatable (not amongst Skins fans though).


Now that we have gotten that cleared up. Who cares what Eli got? It's more money against their cap number. I wish that they would have given him even more now that I think about it.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37100 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25