Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Sellers believes he's due for raise

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #31
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
When the guy doesn't fumble on the 1 and decides to not half-ass warm-ups, then we can talk. He's under contract and not in his final year, STFU and play.

I am sure that will go over well with him. Especially since that is how they treat Portis and every free agent who gets flown in on a private jet.

Look at Randle-El. He contributes one trick play a year to the team and gets paid #2 or #1 WR money.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #32
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

I've never seen a pro-bowl player who's as much a team player as Mike Sellers is catch so much s**t from his own teams fans. I'd ask for the money too. It's not like he's holding out. Even Stump Mitchell sees him playing a few more years. Why not renegotiate his contract? We've renegotiated lots of others. I could see him playing 4 or 5 more years.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #33
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,708
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

I think he deserves it, but now is not the time to be dealing with that. Unlike the JC media comments, I do think this is a time to tell your agent what you want, and go out and bust your ass to prove it.

after the season I hope he gets a good bump or extension.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #34
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think he deserves it, but now is not the time to be dealing with that. Unlike the JC media comments, I do think this is a time to tell your agent what you want, and go out and bust your ass to prove it.

after the season I hope he gets a good bump or extension.
True. I agree.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #35
Special Teams
 
an23dy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 162
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

I think it's a smart move by the FO. No matter what happens this year it's not like next year if he becomes a free agent teams will be going hard after a 35 year old fullback. I think he deserves more money, but I don't know if anybody is willing to give it to him.
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #36
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Guys, it's nice to think "He played hard, give him more money." Are you the same fans that bitch about our lack of cap space? The FO inability to make shrewd moves? If you thought paying an over the hill free agent is bad, why would you pay an over the hill player under contract.

I'd love to say "Sure, give him more money, he's played hard!" but lets face it, it is a bad business move. Save the money, let Sellers walk IN TWO YEARS, and thank him for his service. Don't throw precious cap space away on a 35 year old fullback. I realize NFL players have short careers and they sacrifice their bodies for the game -- but the man is due 900,000, he's not starving.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Guys, it's nice to think "He played hard, give him more money." Are you the same fans that bitch about our lack of cap space? The FO inability to make shrewd moves? If you thought paying an over the hill free agent is bad, why would you pay an over the hill player under contract.

I'd love to say "Sure, give him more money, he's played hard!" but lets face it, it is a bad business move. Save the money, let Sellers walk IN TWO YEARS, and thank him for his service. Don't throw precious cap space away on a 35 year old fullback. I realize NFL players have short careers and they sacrifice their bodies for the game -- but the man is due 900,000, he's not starving.
Crystalized my thoughts eloquently.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I am sure that will go over well with him. Especially since that is how they treat Portis and every free agent who gets flown in on a private jet.

Look at Randle-El. He contributes one trick play a year to the team and gets paid #2 or #1 WR money.
I don't write the checks, but if I did ARE probably wouldn't be here and if he was it would be for a lot less. If you look at Portis' contract structure his days may be numbered after this year also.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #39
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,708
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

yeah, but pay him next year, you know there won't be a cap
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

I think it would be a good signal to reward performance for the team instead of rewarding those who do well with other teams. Throw him a bone and load it where the cap hit was more significant next year.

We should be known for taking care of our own who do well instead of being where you go to get paid.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #41
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Unfortunately for Sellers, contracts are based on the future -- not the past. From a business perspective, it really just doesn't make sense. Sorry Mike.
This isn't entirely true. Contracts are based on a player's potential production and performance in the future and also in relation to the team's future (with/without that player). But estimating a player's future production is mostly based on what he did in the past and also how long he can consistently produce at the same level. There's really no question that he is one of the better players on the team and he's one of the top 5 at his position in the league. And I think you can take someone with a similiar career at fullback like Lorenzo Neal and intelligently predict his length of producing in the future at this same level.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #42
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Neal is 38 and Sellers is 34. Neal is still producing at a good level and may have just begun declining last year at age 37 (but who knows, it could have been the black hole he was playing in called the Raiders). Neal's most recent pro bowl was in 2007 and was All-Pro that same year. Sellers came into the league 5 years after Neal (and Sellers was also in the CFL in 2002 and 2003), so the thought that he is still can produce at his current level for another 4 to 5 years is credible to me. Give him a 3 year extension that would make him a redskin for the next 5 years; this way this doesn't turn into another Antonio Pierce fiasco where he turns down a contract a little less than someone else because he feels slighted. It only benefits everyone by doing it this way.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #43
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
This isn't entirely true. Contracts are based on a player's potential production and performance in the future and also in relation to the team's future (with/without that player). But estimating a player's future production is mostly based on what he did in the past and also how long he can consistently produce at the same level. There's really no question that he is one of the better players on the team and he's one of the top 5 at his position in the league. And I think you can take someone with a similiar career at fullback like Lorenzo Neal and intelligently predict his length of producing in the future at this same level.
Nice post warriorzpath. The only problem I have with Sellers right now is he may be becoming a distraction and I think he needs to leave it to his agent now. I agree with him and I hope he gets what he's due, but he's starting to speak publically about it a little too much and now may not be the right time.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Seller's brought up a great point the other day, when he said he gets paid less than most of the FB's in the league, most of them who haven't even made a pro bowl. He's one of the top 2 best fullbacks in the league, hands down.
If he played like crap, would it be OK for the team to take back any signing bonus they gave him? He signed his contract, he needs to play and produce this year and worry about his contract in the off-season when he has 1 yr. left on his deal.

I'm a pretty old-school guy (so maybe this is just a pet peeve), but when the whole team is doing warm up stretches/leg strides (including Cooley, Portis, Campbell, Samuels) and he's just standing there/jogging through, it's not a good example for a veteran and team leader and it doesn't look good in an "open" practice when he's the closest player to the fans.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #45
Camp Scrub
 
Skins Fan in Indiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Noblesville, Indiana
Posts: 5
Re: Sellers believes he's due for raise

Finally a system is set in place for the offense, build on that and pay Sellers, keep the core components together.
__________________
Staying strong here in Indiana!
Go Skins!!!!
Skins Fan in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30576 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25