Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #31
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 25
Posts: 11,754
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Money had nothing to do with his plea deal. That is not in any way the criminal justice system works. Civil settlements don't give prospectors leeway to not pursue proper charges. They pled it out because they were unsure if they could get a conviction on the major charges since there was a good chance they couldn't prove the alcohol was a contributing factor. Now I am only speaking from a pure by-the-law standpoint. From a moral standpoint I think DUI ought to carry a mandatory 1 year prison sentence and suspension of license for 5 years, I don't think we take drunk driving nearly serious enough in our society.
Well I think the state of Florida agrees about the suspension of license thing since his license got a lifetime suspension.

I think this sounds about right. Goodell got to make his point about how serious he takes situations like DUI and manslaughter and Stallworth gets to take an entire season off to reflect before trying to resurrect his career later.

Honestly even though I agree that DUI is bad and needs to be taken seriously I also think Stallworth has been punished enough. He wasn't even the only one at fault here, the guy shouldn't have decided to jaywalk across a major road even though he probably figured it was safe enough to do so.

Stallworth acted appropriately in response to what happened. (Note: I'm not condoning what he did here) He immediately stopped and called police, took immediate responsibility for what he did, reached a settlement with the family so they wouldn't have to bear the weight of the increased financial burden, said and did all the right things including placing himself at the mercy of the court and commissioner, and he also has a lifetime suspension of his drivers license as well as a year long suspension from the NFL. I think all that is sufficent punishment. What else could he have done to right the terrible wrong that he did? He did what Vick should've done after getting arrested and that's ultimately why he got a lighter sentence than Vick. If Vick had just come clean from the start he wouldn't have spent two years in prison.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #32
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenslats View Post
It is nice to see that these players are not above the law, but I have to agree, too many times leniency is shown to these Big Shot's who think that they are untouchable. They don't get that they should be setting the example for all the kids that idolize them. I worry about our future.

Go Skins
Welcome to the board slats. I love Tennessee! Well they are role models whether they accept it or not. Some take it seriously, some don't.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #33
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,155
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

He really should get a lifetime ban. I mean part of me believes Stallworth is genuinely sorry but taking another life outside of maybe killing a criminal during a hostile takeover should be a lifetime ban.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #34
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 46
Posts: 12,158
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Wow, ESPN just reported that Donte Stallworth's suspension will be lifted after the Superbowl. That seems ridiculous to me.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #35
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 34
Posts: 16,275
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated that Donte' Stallworth will be reinstated from his suspension when eligible next week.
"He recognizes the terrible judgment that he made and the tragic judgment he made and he'll be free to continue his career as of next week," offered Goodell. The Browns still own Stallworth's rights, but they fully intend to cut ties with him this offseason.

Donte' Stallworth



Agreed. Way too lenient.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #36
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 46
Posts: 12,158
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

I don't get it, I know Vick and Stallworth had totally different crimes, but I thought the standard was no decision until you were done with your punishment. Stallworth still is under house arrest, which is a form of civil confinement, so how can Goodell even discuss this IF he is operating the same for every player. I didn't have much of an issue with the legal system's repercussions for Stallworth, but to be off suspension, but under house arrest, seems to make a mockery of an get tough stance Goodell may claim to have.

Just my opinion
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #37
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 25
Posts: 11,754
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Goodell isn't operating the same for every player. He reviews each case independantly and decides how to act accordingly. There is no standard that he set for how he reviews punishments or when someone's punishment is up.

As for Stallworth's punishment, well I can see why people would want a longer prison sentence but you really have to understand the legal system to know why he only served a month. It's all about evidence and how much the police can prove the extent of involvement, not about the truth of what happened. I don't believe Stallworth fits your average criminal thug type player blessed with great talent kinda profile. From everything I've ever heard or read he's a genuinely nice guy who obviously made a horrible mistake. He's paid his dues and done everything right and now he deserves a second chance. Obviously there will be those who say Mario Reyes didn't get a second chance at life so Stallworth doesn't deserve his but it is what it is. I don't see how anybody can be truly shocked at any step of this whole ordeal because it's how our society works.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #38
Playmaker
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,736
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Malice......,Stallworth had no malice while Vick did.You must also understand the crime to understand the punishment.As was reported earlier ther was a vidio of this accident and as in Florida the man was killed while J-walking there by contributing to his own death.Where this comes into play is in the civil case....the family could ...like it or not get nothing.This was all part a a plea arragement....and what was best for the rest of the victums family.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #39
Registered User
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 518
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Well I think the state of Florida agrees about the suspension of license thing since his license got a lifetime suspension.

I think this sounds about right. Goodell got to make his point about how serious he takes situations like DUI and manslaughter and Stallworth gets to take an entire season off to reflect before trying to resurrect his career later.

Honestly even though I agree that DUI is bad and needs to be taken seriously I also think Stallworth has been punished enough. He wasn't even the only one at fault here, the guy shouldn't have decided to jaywalk across a major road even though he probably figured it was safe enough to do so.

Stallworth acted appropriately in response to what happened. (Note: I'm not condoning what he did here) He immediately stopped and called police, took immediate responsibility for what he did, reached a settlement with the family so they wouldn't have to bear the weight of the increased financial burden, said and did all the right things including placing himself at the mercy of the court and commissioner, and he also has a lifetime suspension of his drivers license as well as a year long suspension from the NFL. I think all that is sufficent punishment. What else could he have done to right the terrible wrong that he did? He did what Vick should've done after getting arrested and that's ultimately why he got a lighter sentence than Vick. If Vick had just come clean from the start he wouldn't have spent two years in prison.
Yep I agree, he did do all the right things, considering.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #40
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Wow, ESPN just reported that Donte Stallworth's suspension will be lifted after the Superbowl. That seems ridiculous to me.
Had he veered off of the road and struck a pedestrian I'd agree. I know that DUI isn't right, but the guy stepped out in front of him, that can happen to anyone regardless of BAC.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #41
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 46
Posts: 12,158
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Malice......,Stallworth had no malice while Vick did.You must also understand the crime to understand the punishment.As was reported earlier ther was a vidio of this accident and as in Florida the man was killed while J-walking there by contributing to his own death.Where this comes into play is in the civil case....the family could ...like it or not get nothing.This was all part a a plea arragement....and what was best for the rest of the victums family.
That and mooby's points are all well and good, I am not upset about the legal system, but the fact is Goodell has continually claimed that the legal system must finish first. If he is still under house arrest, then the legal system is not finished, regardless of being allowed to leave for work.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #42
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_nna View Post
Im glad the NFL didnt just slap him on the wrist.
Only Michael Vick get's that type of treatment
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #43
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Had he veered off of the road and struck a pedestrian I'd agree. I know that DUI isn't right, but the guy stepped out in front of him, that can happen to anyone regardless of BAC.
Yeah, its horrible what happened, but there are risks in life, unfortunately people die premature sometimes. Its the same as if he had been drinking recklessly. He didnt intend to kill someone when he made bad judgement and got behind the wheel but it happened.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #44
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,202
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Had he veered off of the road and struck a pedestrian I'd agree. I know that DUI isn't right, but the guy stepped out in front of him, that can happen to anyone regardless of BAC.
exactly.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #45
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,855
Re: Stallworth suspended for the entire season

You know i get on these threads sometimes and always see how Michael Vick gets brought up whenever there is a sentance/suspension topic brought up.

And I also LMFAO when i see that people said Michael Vick got a slap on the wrist. If you read the facts, you'll see that Vick got a much stricter punishment when compared to other NFL players who have done similar things (Pacman Jones, Ray Lewis, Stallworth, etc...) Those players all were involved either directly or indirectly in the death/killing of another human being.

While Vick did no crimes against human beings, what he did was still henious. But serving 2 years in a Federal Prison, losing his home, his endorsements, his job, plus forever being branded a convicted felon to me is not a slap on the wrist. Only a fool would say something like that.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31367 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25