Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
PennSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 752
Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/08/preseason-game-1-quick-hitters-first-of-all-calm-the-hell-down.html

Quote:
Pretty brutal, especially when combined with the fact that the Redskins defense gave up 500 yards of offense to the Baltimore Ravens. And getting shut out is never a good thing. It was a complete and utter domination from beginning to end.
__________________
DC Pro Sports Report - Home of the Internet's Largest NFL Mock Draft Database. Best Redskins Redskins discussion, theWarpath.net

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,311
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

I tend to agree with the sentiment that people are taking this loss a bit too seriously. There were some positives. The starting O line didn't look terrible; Brian Orakpo looked good, and Jeremy Jarmon looked solid.

What was most troubling about the game was the drop off in talent after the starters left the game. Defensively, there is very little quality depth in the backups outside of Kareem Moore, H.B. Blades, and a couple others. It's an indictment of the way the Redskins front office operates. They trade away draft picks and dump tons of money into players they perceive to be elite, and then they're stuck with 6th and 7th rounders to fill out the backup roles.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Good article. I pretty much agree.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 49
Posts: 3,069
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Calm the hell down indeed!!!

There were definite positives to draw from this game:

Orakpo - the guy is going to be a total BEAST!!!

Kareem Moore - Dude lays the lumber reminiscent of #21 - I'd love to see him playing FS in some defensive packages allowing Laron to move back to his more natural SS position.

Jeremy Jarmon - I assumed this guy wouldn't be ready to contribute until next season, but he's much further along than I thought he would be. I could see him working into the DE rotation this year to give either Daniels or Carter a breather.

The O was without arguably it's two best players (Santana and Portis), so I'm not too concerned. Campbell looked poised, and the O-line actually protected him pretty well. We never generated a running game, but who does against the Ravens? I don't put much stock in pre-season, I just want the vets to come out healthy, and to see some progress from at least a few of the young guys. This game will give Zorn and Blache plenty of ammo to kick some tail in practice. Plus looking at our next two preseason games (Pittsburgh and New England), we will be exposed to excellent opponents which hopefully forces us to raise our game - definitely good prep for the G-men opening day.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Impact Rookie
 
PennSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 752
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Like I said in an earlier thread. One big thing that came out of this is the fact Randy Thomas should have awoken this morning a bit more nervous. Not only are there folks inside Ashburn that are rooting for Rhinehart to win the job because of youth (and because he was a third rounder) but Rhinehart but Rhinehart is delivering as well.

I think next time Tryon is tutored by Darrell Green, he should try paying attention.
__________________
DC Pro Sports Report - Home of the Internet's Largest NFL Mock Draft Database. Best Redskins Redskins discussion, theWarpath.net

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,458
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
I think next time Tryon is tutored by Darrell Green, he should try paying attention.
If they keep Tryon and cut loose Byron Westbrook, they will be making a serious mistake. I'd understand is Tryon returned kicks, but this guy will struggle against anyone bigger than he is.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Another thing is that I dont think JC and the first stringers looked too bad. JC had one bad throw. Rest were fine.


The throw to Hagans was too high, but not a bad pass. The Ravens were playing Zone and an LB dropped into a flats zone, so campbell needed height on the ball to get it over the defender. Also Hagans is 5.8 so a tough situation for JC.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
If they keep Tryon and cut loose Byron Westbrook, they will be making a serious mistake. I'd understand is Tryon returned kicks, but this guy will struggle against anyone bigger than he is.
Westbrook didn't do much better so they're both the same in my opinion, remember it's the 1st preseason game so mistakes are gonna happen.

Last edited by vallin21; 08-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
Like I said in an earlier thread. One big thing that came out of this is the fact Randy Thomas should have awoken this morning a bit more nervous. Not only are there folks inside Ashburn that are rooting for Rhinehart to win the job because of youth (and because he was a third rounder) but Rhinehart but Rhinehart is delivering as well.

I think next time Tryon is tutored by Darrell Green, he should try paying attention.
I've heard more than one player (the most notable being Champ Bailey) say that DG isn't that good a coach/tutor. Mainly because he was able to succeed for so long largely due to unbelievable speed (namely closing speed) and that's something not everyone has.

He's anointed others starters in this league (Rashad Bauman being one) that never quite panned out.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Camp Scrub
 
Clark84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Centreville, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 71
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Yeah, I just don't see Tryon succeeding. He wasn't owned last night because of talent, it was pure size. He couldn't hang with the big boys in the slot.
Clark84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Calm the hell down indeed!!!

There were definite positives to draw from this game:

Orakpo - the guy is going to be a total BEAST!!!

Kareem Moore - Dude lays the lumber reminiscent of #21 - I'd love to see him playing FS in some defensive packages allowing Laron to move back to his more natural SS position.

Jeremy Jarmon - I assumed this guy wouldn't be ready to contribute until next season, but he's much further along than I thought he would be. I could see him working into the DE rotation this year to give either Daniels or Carter a breather.

The O was without arguably it's two best players (Santana and Portis), so I'm not too concerned. Campbell looked poised, and the O-line actually protected him pretty well. We never generated a running game, but who does against the Ravens? I don't put much stock in pre-season, I just want the vets to come out healthy, and to see some progress from at least a few of the young guys. This game will give Zorn and Blache plenty of ammo to kick some tail in practice. Plus looking at our next two preseason games (Pittsburgh and New England), we will be exposed to excellent opponents which hopefully forces us to raise our game - definitely good prep for the G-men opening day.
Totally agree Soup. Good post. I've read that Moore should get some time this year allowing Landry to do exactly what you say. Offenses worrying about whether he'll blitz or not just gives them something else to think about. If you look at the game with emotional stability, I may be asking too much, I think there were a lot of positives.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,970
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
If they keep Tryon and cut loose Byron Westbrook, they will be making a serious mistake. I'd understand is Tryon returned kicks, but this guy will struggle against anyone bigger than he is.
Of course a fellow Seagull would say that! And of course I agree 100%, Tryon looked lost and slow out there last night. Not good for a 2nd year player.
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
Special Teams
 
Miller101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 362
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
If they keep Tryon and cut loose Byron Westbrook, they will be making a serious mistake. I'd understand is Tryon returned kicks, but this guy will struggle against anyone bigger than he is.
I thought the biggest thing Tryon needs to work on is jamming a reciever. It seemed like he was throwing his hands up hoping that would do something. He really needs to hit that SOB coming at him and slow him the heck down. We'll see if he's better at it next week. He's got the Steeler's wide recievers so it won't get any easier.
__________________
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Another thing is that I dont think JC and the first stringers looked too bad. JC had one bad throw. Rest were fine.


The throw to Hagans was too high, but not a bad pass. The Ravens were playing Zone and an LB dropped into a flats zone, so campbell needed height on the ball to get it over the defender. Also Hagans is 5.8 so a tough situation for JC.
Well to be honest those are the plays that JC has to make this year if he wants to stay around. I'm not jumping on JC for that one pass in the 1st preseason game but thats the type of stuff I want to see him making this year. Thats the type of play that can change the whole game.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Special Teams
 
killromo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 199
Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Of course a fellow Seagull would say that! And of course I agree 100%, Tryon looked lost and slow out there last night. Not good for a 2nd year player.
I agree the undrafted Seagull will be competition for Tryon. Not the time for the FO to save face because they wasted a draft pick on him. He has a couple weeks to make drastic improvement or we cut our losses. I wouldn't be too upset either, we have enough depth.
killromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33601 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25