Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #61
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFI View Post
they might be awful, and I hope they are but they did score more points than we did in their first outing, what does that make us? super awful?

No, this makes you Chicken Little.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #62
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,704
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Olshansky is a tough 3-4 end. Their D is underachieving at times, but Brooking at ILB should help. They have a talented team w/holes on both sides of the ball, just like us & many teams.

Our problem w/them in the 2nd game in 08 was getting enough time for JC. If we can't block Ware, Spencer & Ratliff, our only hope of beating them is on spec. teams & D scores.

I don't take too much from either team's 1st preseason game. Both teams have unproven players (Wash- thomas, kelly, heyer, rinehart, orakpo, Dall - austin, jenkins, scandrick) that need to step up for their teams to be successful. Both teams also have proven vets that will be solid & vets that may be on the downside more than they realize (wash - samuels, fletcher, dall - flozell adams, colombo).
Their D will be solid, if WP focuses on it, if he has to do more HC and less DC tasks the D will suffer. as for their line vs ours. I think ours will be much more up to the task. I think they will see age strike fiercely (I believe all of their OLine is 30+) and they have not done much in ways of drafting either. The only way we really struggle is if Samuels goes down the day after Levi Jones signs somewhere else
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #63
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
I would say the biggest loss was Chris Canty who went on to get a 50m contract from the G-men.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty while they are trying to negotiate the contract extension for DeMarcus Ware.

They signed Igor Olashansky in the off-season. They see him as a "cheaper" version of Canty, and they signed him for much less than Canty was looking for.
LOST:
Chris Canty
Ter Owens
Greg Ellis
Horsecollar Williams
Brad Johnson
Anthony Henry

GAINED:
Jon Kitna
Igor Olshansky
*Nobody else of significance*


KEPT:
Wade Phillips


Nothing but downgrades. No great #1 WR, no clear #1 RB (this is why they're a RRBC), a QB with a track record of choking, aging O-line, very questionable secondary. Their only real strengths are LBs and possibly D-line...but they're still weaker than the Skins and Giants in these departments.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #64
The Starter
 
sandtrapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,593
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
LOST:
Chris Canty
Ter Owens
Greg Ellis
Horsecollar Williams
Brad Johnson
Anthony Henry

GAINED:
Jon Kitna
Igor Olshansky
*Nobody else of significance*


KEPT:
Wade Phillips


Nothing but downgrades. No great #1 WR, no clear #1 RB (this is why they're a RRBC), a QB with a track record of choking, aging O-line, very questionable secondary. Their only real strengths are LBs and possibly D-line...but they're still weaker than the Skins and Giants in these departments.
Chris Canty - Tough to replace, but wanted too much money when signing Ware long term is a priority. If you cant have both, who would you rather keep? Ware or Canty?

Ter Owens - mouth, attitude yes, but put up 1000+ yard and double digit TD's each year he was there. We'll see how this one works out.

Greg Ellis - cry baby veteran who was very long in the tooth who's replacement was drafted 2 years ago (Spencer).

Horsecollar Williams - Liability in coverage. Sensabaugh takes his place, this is a huge upgrade in the secondary.

Brad Johnson - spaghetti arms, good riddance

Anthony Henry - injured each of the past 3 years, not getting any younger. Scandrick and Jenkins showed they are starting material and made Henry expendable.

GAINED:
Jon Kitna - Dont laugh, but he is an upgrade over Johnson. Much better arm strength. And he was QB in Detroit when Roy Williams went to the pro bowl.

Igor Olshansky - cheaper version of Canty. Not as good, but cheaper. Compare his stats and Canty's over the last 3 years. Almost identical in every category. Difference being Olshansky played in a weak division and Canty in the strongest in the league. And he (Olshansky) was drafted by Wade Phillips in San Diego. So there is some famialiarity there.

*Nobody else of significance*
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #65
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Chris Canty - Tough to replace, but wanted too much money when signing Ware long term is a priority. If you cant have both, who would you rather keep? Ware or Canty?

Ter Owens - mouth, attitude yes, but put up 1000+ yard and double digit TD's each year he was there. We'll see how this one works out.

Greg Ellis - cry baby veteran who was very long in the tooth who's replacement was drafted 2 years ago (Spencer).

Horsecollar Williams - Liability in coverage. Sensabaugh takes his place, this is a huge upgrade in the secondary.

Brad Johnson - spaghetti arms, good riddance

Anthony Henry - injured each of the past 3 years, not getting any younger. Scandrick and Jenkins showed they are starting material and made Henry expendable.

GAINED:
Jon Kitna - Dont laugh, but he is an upgrade over Johnson. Much better arm strength. And he was QB in Detroit when Roy Williams went to the pro bowl.

Igor Olshansky - cheaper version of Canty. Not as good, but cheaper. Compare his stats and Canty's over the last 3 years. Almost identical in every category. Difference being Olshansky played in a weak division and Canty in the strongest in the league. And he (Olshansky) was drafted by Wade Phillips in San Diego. So there is some famialiarity there.

*Nobody else of significance*
Don't laugh, Kitna is an upgrade over Romo the fumble-a-saurus.'

Nice to see you at least admit that your team opened up a lot of positional holes in the offseason, upgraded MAYBE one (backup QB) and did not even fill most of them.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #66
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Kitna is a great backup QB. I doubt Romo will miss any time though. Romo just seems like a QB that will play for years w/out serious injury.

The whole division is up for grabs really. I think Philly got better. The Skins should sustain if not get better. NY is NY and they have talent. The Cowboys should be good unfortunately. They've got some great backs, Jones, Barber, and a good Qb who makes plays (i really do hate him). Their D is a Wade Phillips D which is generally pretty good.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #67
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,704
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Kitna is a great backup QB. I doubt Romo will miss any time though. Romo just seems like a QB that will play for years w/out serious injury.

The whole division is up for grabs really. I think Philly got better. The Skins should sustain if not get better. NY is NY and they have talent. The Cowboys should be good unfortunately. They've got some great backs, Jones, Barber, and a good Qb who makes plays (i really do hate him). Their D is a Wade Phillips D which is generally pretty good.
you do remember he missed 3 games last year because of an injured pinky?

Plus his offensive line is worse(my opinion) than ours both for the starters and in depth. I would not be surprised if we take Romo out in our first game - of course as the Redskins have done in the past, they may lose the game to the backup
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #68
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,500
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Chris Canty - Tough to replace, but wanted too much money when signing Ware long term is a priority. If you cant have both, who would you rather keep? Ware or Canty?

Ter Owens - mouth, attitude yes, but put up 1000+ yard and double digit TD's each year he was there. We'll see how this one works out.

Greg Ellis - cry baby veteran who was very long in the tooth who's replacement was drafted 2 years ago (Spencer).

Horsecollar Williams - Liability in coverage. Sensabaugh takes his place, this is a huge upgrade in the secondary.

Brad Johnson - spaghetti arms, good riddance

Anthony Henry - injured each of the past 3 years, not getting any younger. Scandrick and Jenkins showed they are starting material and made Henry expendable.

GAINED:
Jon Kitna - Dont laugh, but he is an upgrade over Johnson. Much better arm strength. And he was QB in Detroit when Roy Williams went to the pro bowl.

Igor Olshansky - cheaper version of Canty. Not as good, but cheaper. Compare his stats and Canty's over the last 3 years. Almost identical in every category. Difference being Olshansky played in a weak division and Canty in the strongest in the league. And he (Olshansky) was drafted by Wade Phillips in San Diego. So there is some famialiarity there.

*Nobody else of significance*
All of these guys are replacable expect Owens. Spencer is more than ready to take over for Ellis. Olshansky is solid. But taking Owens off your offense is going to hurt. Roy Williams is simply one of the most overrated players in the NFL and I don't know what Jones was thinking giving up two #1's for him.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #69
The Starter
 
sandtrapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,593
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
All of these guys are replacable expect Owens. Spencer is more than ready to take over for Ellis. Olshansky is solid. But taking Owens off your offense is going to hurt. Roy Williams is simply one of the most overrated players in the NFL and I don't know what Jones was thinking giving up two #1's for him.
Yeah, I think the jury will be out for a while on that one (Owens/Williams).

I see Dallas using a lot more 2 TE sets this year and running the ball more with Barber, Jones and Choice. And if I am right, it means less passes to WR's. So the jury may be out for a while.

BTW, FYI it was a first, third and a fourth I believe for Williams. Not nit-picking it is still steep for a guy with only one pro-bowl under his belt.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #70
The Starter
 
sandtrapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,593
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Don't laugh, Kitna is an upgrade over Romo the fumble-a-saurus.'

Nice to see you at least admit that your team opened up a lot of positional holes in the offseason, upgraded MAYBE one (backup QB) and did not even fill most of them.
You really should not even mention "personnel depth" considering the performance of the Redskins in thier preseason opener.

Three Baltimore QB's combine for 399 yards passing. The Baltmore offense puts up "half-a-century" (500 yards) in total offense.

The Redskins offense did not fair much better. The 'Skins offense did not drive any further than the Ravens 30 the whole game. And 9 of thier 12 drives never made it past the 50 yard line.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #71
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
you do remember he missed 3 games last year because of an injured pinky?

Plus his offensive line is worse(my opinion) than ours both for the starters and in depth. I would not be surprised if we take Romo out in our first game - of course as the Redskins have done in the past, they may lose the game to the backup
True.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #72
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
You really should not even mention "personnel depth" considering the performance of the Redskins in thier preseason opener.

Three Baltimore QB's combine for 399 yards passing. The Baltmore offense puts up "half-a-century" (500 yards) in total offense.

The Redskins offense did not fair much better. The 'Skins offense did not drive any further than the Ravens 30 the whole game. And 9 of thier 12 drives never made it past the 50 yard line.
That is the art of offense without playing offense. Master Zorns new scoring style!
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #73
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Their D will be solid, if WP focuses on it, if he has to do more HC and less DC tasks the D will suffer. as for their line vs ours. I think ours will be much more up to the task. I think they will see age strike fiercely (I believe all of their OLine is 30+) and they have not done much in ways of drafting either. The only way we really struggle is if Samuels goes down the day after Levi Jones signs somewhere else
I've been saying the same thing in other threads, their o line is already on the old side & to my surprise they've had a lot of picks (12 this year) but haven't used a high pick for the o line.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #74
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Chris Canty - Tough to replace, but wanted too much money when signing Ware long term is a priority. If you cant have both, who would you rather keep? Ware or Canty?

Ter Owens - mouth, attitude yes, but put up 1000+ yard and double digit TD's each year he was there. We'll see how this one works out.

Greg Ellis - cry baby veteran who was very long in the tooth who's replacement was drafted 2 years ago (Spencer).

Horsecollar Williams - Liability in coverage. Sensabaugh takes his place, this is a huge upgrade in the secondary.

Brad Johnson - spaghetti arms, good riddance

Anthony Henry - injured each of the past 3 years, not getting any younger. Scandrick and Jenkins showed they are starting material and made Henry expendable.

GAINED:
Jon Kitna - Dont laugh, but he is an upgrade over Johnson. Much better arm strength. And he was QB in Detroit when Roy Williams went to the pro bowl.

Igor Olshansky - cheaper version of Canty. Not as good, but cheaper. Compare his stats and Canty's over the last 3 years. Almost identical in every category. Difference being Olshansky played in a weak division and Canty in the strongest in the league. And he (Olshansky) was drafted by Wade Phillips in San Diego. So there is some famialiarity there.

*Nobody else of significance*
I'd say the cowpokes had a great offseason w/one exception; no signficant picks or free agents on the o line. I think the Kitna pickup was smart as was Olshansky. And especially getting TO out will help big time.

You guys all forgot about Keith Brooking.
He's a bit old but should be an upgrade over Z. Thomas. Also, Carpenter is another young OLB that at least provides solid depth. Their draft should bolster some positions & improve special teams.

The g-men & iggles are getting most of the attention, but skins v. boyz might be what decides the div. I wouldn't sleep on either one.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #75
Impact Rookie
 
JLee9718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 567
Re: The Dallas Cowboys are Awful

Not many teams get shut out, but I think the Redskins might be just a little underrated. However, I would change QB's fast if we don't generate some kind of offense. Zorn should make sure he gives the team the best chance to win, even in a preseason game. I would rather see Chase starting at QB if we're going to put zeroes up on offense.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37256 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25