Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What Michael Vick won't be

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #106
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,733
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM72 View Post
Be careful. I'm sure Vick isn't the only player that took part in dogfighting.
Innocent until proven guilty, and even then we haven't even gotten a hint of any other players being involved in dog fighting though I bet that there are more then a handful that show up and bet on matches. It would be much harder to find someone that handled their own executions personally like Vick did.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #107
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,524
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Most of Vicks pounding is because of his style of play not his line. Your also wrong about why Vick became the starter.
the blitz is what has been killing him in the last few games,thats not a style of play,thats an off line issue.I could be wrong about why he was named the starter,my memory is not that great anymore,I thought that was one of Reids excuses when he was being so wishy washy on who to choose
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #108
Registered User
 
44ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Fortune Teller
Posts: 2,512
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
And probably did more jail time than the Redskins too.
I'd still take him. But unfortunately for us, the one thing Vick will never be, is a Redskin.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #109
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
No argument.

If Vick had done what did to human beings rather than to dogs, he would never have seen the light of day. If Vick had hit a dog while driving drunk, he would likely have suffered no criminal ramifications.

As for Stallworth, you'll get no argument from me. Stallworth, however, is not being recast as the victim. etc. etc.
I disagree with you. For some reason our country is preoccupied with giving animals rights that go above and beyond those of a human being.

if Michael Vick had killed a person, even if it were murder, he would not have near as bad as a rep right now. For some reason people dont care when people kill other people, but the fact that he did crimes against dogs, make him the scum of the earth in peoples mind. Why?? Show me where else on planet earth do they put animal rights above those of a human being.

Stallworth killed a man, accident or no accident, DRUNK DRIVING that results in someone's death is still criminal, and in some states can actually be considered negligent homicide.

So the bottom line is, Vick was punished far beyond the normal limits when someone commits a crime against a person. and i think thats messed up.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #110
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Apples and oranges people. You can't directly compare Vick with Stallworth. Different circumstances and laws. It's not as simple as saying Stallworth killed a person, Vick killed dogs, why did Stallworth get off easier?

The case against him was bigger than just the fact he killed some dogs.

What ultimately got Vick into really hot water was his failure to fully cooperate with the federal investigation and then failed a drug test while awaiting trial.

He was operating and financing an interstate dog fighting ring that involved gambling and drugs. Under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act he could have faced much more severe penalties.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop

Last edited by Mattyk; 01-11-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #111
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,851
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I disagree with you. For some reason our country is preoccupied with giving animals rights that go above and beyond those of a human being.

if Michael Vick had killed a person, even if it were murder, he would not have near as bad as a rep right now. For some reason people dont care when people kill other people, but the fact that he did crimes against dogs, make him the scum of the earth in peoples mind. Why?? Show me where else on planet earth do they put animal rights above those of a human being.
Sorry, you are simply wrong. Animals have no rights (okay, now find the link about some old lady who left her money to a cat). Sure. Some people have misplaced priorities. The country, as a whole, and as evidenced by its legal system does not. You cannot get life imprisonment for intentionally torturing and killing animals. You can get life imprisonment for intentionally torturing humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Stallworth killed a man, accident or no accident, DRUNK DRIVING that results in someone's death is still criminal, and in some states can actually be considered negligent homicide.
In most, if not all states that would be homicide. However, in Stallworth's case the man who was killed was likely negligent himself which may have resulted in no charges (not sure, not a criminal defense attorney). Certainly, in MD, in a civil case, Stallworth would not have been found liable to the man he struck in such a case. (contributory negligence by a defendent is an absolute defense).

Again, you want to talk Leonard Little or Jeremy Stevens, I am all with you. Stallworth, however, is simply (as Matty states) not an appropriate comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
So the bottom line is, Vick was punished far beyond the normal limits when someone commits a crime against a person. and i think thats messed up.
No. The bottom line is that Vick was punished in accordance with Federal Sentencing Guidelines and is free to pursue his career of choice after participating in multi-year, multi-state, illegal, deceptive and conspirational gambling practices that, if done by me, would forever bar me from ever being again practicing law (or working as an insurance agent or any other position requiring a license) and that would likely make me unemployable in any position of authority or trust. Again, we aren't even considering the fact that he lied to his former employer and to the league's commissioner about his activities.

Was he Ted Bundy? No. Is he a wrongly accused felon who should be accorded martydom? No.

Christ, how does this guy keep getting away with being portrayed as a victim??
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #112
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,880
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I disagree with you. For some reason our country is preoccupied with giving animals rights that go above and beyond those of a human being.

if Michael Vick had killed a person, even if it were murder, he would not have near as bad as a rep right now. For some reason people dont care when people kill other people, but the fact that he did crimes against dogs, make him the scum of the earth in peoples mind. Why?? Show me where else on planet earth do they put animal rights above those of a human being.

Stallworth killed a man, accident or no accident, DRUNK DRIVING that results in someone's death is still criminal, and in some states can actually be considered negligent homicide.

So the bottom line is, Vick was punished far beyond the normal limits when someone commits a crime against a person. and i think thats messed up.
Matty and JR really nailed their answers, but my thing is the logical fallacies that are becoming normal even in rational debate. I am just asking you to look at the logic in your post. You make several points that are, at best, stretches of logic.
1:if Michael Vick had killed a person, even if it were murder, he would not have near as bad as a rep right now. For some reason people dont care when people kill other people, but the fact that he did crimes against dogs, make him the scum of the earth in peoples mind.

You are comparing a single instance of murder, to multiple and repeated brutalization of animals. A reasonable comparison would have been a person brutally murdering for enjoyment multiple people. These are known as serial killers and if caught end up in solitary confinement for life (often shortened).
(I also don't think murderers, if paroled, really have a "good" rep. Doubt they walk down the street getting offered million dollar contracts at their preferred profession)

2:So the bottom line is, Vick was punished far beyond the normal limits when someone commits a crime against a person.
This is the logic that got me. Vick was punished for brutalizing animals (and more correctly like Matty said, interstate gambling). you gave one incident that shows a man who immediately regretted his actions, humbled himself, and had other mitigating circumstances; and made a huge logic step that somehow you had proven Vick's punishment was "beyond normal limits".


With as dependent as our society is becoming on web facts and individual opinions, I think HS's ought to have serious training in Critical Thinking skills.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #113
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

All these people like that idiot Tucker Carlson that were calling for Vick to be "executed", or for him to receive a lifetime ban. Thats where my argument came from.

There are people in the NFL who have killed people, been involved in shooting, stabbings, blah blah blah, and i bet you never at any point was anybody calling for a lifetime ban.

Ben Rapistberger is slapped on the wrist after allegedly raping 2 women, but nobody cares. I just think that the media went ballistic on Vick, especially the animal rights people who are in bed with the other groups...They took a man who committed bad crimes and projected him in an even worse light. Vick was a criminal, but he is also a little bit of a victim when you look at how so many people have tried to go out of their way to keep him from doing what he loves.

Bottom line is when crimes involving animals occur, conventional wisdom, and also common sense are thrown out the window. The best thing we all can do, myself included, is just leave this debate about Vick alone. We will never agree. I will end this with saying that I'm glad Vick is getting a second chance and i also hope that he does not revert back to his old life when he starts making big bucks again. I hope he's changed.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #114
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,470
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Sorry, you are simply wrong. Animals have no rights (okay, now find the link about some old lady who left her money to a cat). Sure. Some people have misplaced priorities. The country, as a whole, and as evidenced by its legal system does not. You cannot get life imprisonment for intentionally torturing and killing animals. You can get life imprisonment for intentionally torturing humans.



In most, if not all states that would be homicide. However, in Stallworth's case the man who was killed was likely negligent himself which may have resulted in no charges (not sure, not a criminal defense attorney). Certainly, in MD, in a civil case, Stallworth would not have been found liable to the man he struck in such a case. (contributory negligence by a defendent is an absolute defense).

Again, you want to talk Leonard Little or Jeremy Stevens, I am all with you. Stallworth, however, is simply (as Matty states) not an appropriate comparison.



No. The bottom line is that Vick was punished in accordance with Federal Sentencing Guidelines and is free to pursue his career of choice after participating in multi-year, multi-state, illegal, deceptive and conspirational gambling practices that, if done by me, would forever bar me from ever being again practicing law (or working as an insurance agent or any other position requiring a license) and that would likely make me unemployable in any position of authority or trust. Again, we aren't even considering the fact that he lied to his former employer and to the league's commissioner about his activities.

Was he Ted Bundy? No. Is he a wrongly accused felon who should be accorded martydom? No.

Christ, how does this guy keep getting away with being portrayed as a victim??
Jeez...Man, take it easy will ya?
This guy should be Freekin' MVP if her were not being victimized by the Freekin' NFL......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #115
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
All these people like that idiot Tucker Carlson that were calling for Vick to be "executed", or for him to receive a lifetime ban. Thats where my argument came from.

There are people in the NFL who have killed people, been involved in shooting, stabbings, blah blah blah, and i bet you never at any point was anybody calling for a lifetime ban.

Ben Rapistberger is slapped on the wrist after allegedly raping 2 women, but nobody cares. I just think that the media went ballistic on Vick, especially the animal rights people who are in bed with the other groups...They took a man who committed bad crimes and projected him in an even worse light. Vick was a criminal, but he is also a little bit of a victim when you look at how so many people have tried to go out of their way to keep him from doing what he loves.

Bottom line is when crimes involving animals occur, conventional wisdom, and also common sense are thrown out the window. The best thing we all can do, myself included, is just leave this debate about Vick alone. We will never agree. I will end this with saying that I'm glad Vick is getting a second chance and i also hope that he does not revert back to his old life when he starts making big bucks again. I hope he's changed.
Before you make moral judgements, understand what Vick was charged with. Please see Matty's earlier post (#110).

I'm glad that Vick has made the most out of his second chance. However, the moral aspect of this needs to be separated from the legal somewhat. If Vick had simply been revealed as a 'fan' of dog fighting w/no criminal charges, then people could hate him for purely moral reasons & their love of animals. The fact that he funded organized crime for years really made his legal troubles what they were, and as Matty pointed out he exacerbated it by not cooperating & also lying.

C. Cowherd brought up Vick today & named about 20 QBs he would take to start his franchise rather than Vick. He also said that the topic of Vick changes his show & really ignites people. Said he's exciting but not dependable long-term. I think the jury is still out on that (no pun intended). He then had a calller that rambled on about what Big Ben supposedly did & how everyone has committed crimes. Cowherd said repeatedly Ben wasn't charged w/anything, big difference.

Cowherd told the guy he was rationalizing bad behavior. So many people (not saying this to anyone here specifically) seem to do that w/Vick, they seem to think he got a raw deal. Would it have been different if he were running drugs or tied to the Mafia? It's still ORGANIZED CRIME & that's what ultimately was so stupid on his part. You're a franchise qb, highest paid in the nfl, and yet you choose to put funds into an illegal operation.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #116
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,342
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Before you make moral judgements, understand what Vick was charged with. Please see Matty's earlier post (#110).

I'm glad that Vick has made the most out of his second chance. However, the moral aspect of this needs to be separated from the legal somewhat. If Vick had simply been revealed as a 'fan' of dog fighting w/no criminal charges, then people could hate him for purely moral reasons & their love of animals. The fact that he funded organized crime for years really made his legal troubles what they were, and as Matty pointed out he exacerbated it by not cooperating & also lying.

C. Cowherd brought up Vick today & named about 20 QBs he would take to start his franchise rather than Vick. He also said that the topic of Vick changes his show & really ignites people. Said he's exciting but not dependable long-term. I think the jury is still out on that (no pun intended). He then had a calller that rambled on about what Big Ben supposedly did & how everyone has committed crimes. Cowherd said repeatedly Ben wasn't charged w/anything, big difference.

Cowherd told the guy he was rationalizing bad behavior. So many people (not saying this to anyone here specifically) seem to do that w/Vick, they seem to think he got a raw deal. Would it have been different if he were running drugs or tied to the Mafia? It's still ORGANIZED CRIME & that's what ultimately was so stupid on his part. You're a franchise qb, highest paid in the nfl, and yet you choose to put funds into an illegal operation.
Great points, heard bits of the Cowherd segment and he was definitely on point also.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #117
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Let's be clear about another thing, Vick is not the MVP of the league. That's Tom Brady, again.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #118
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,851
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
All these people like that idiot Tucker Carlson that were calling for Vick to be "executed", or for him to receive a lifetime ban. Thats where my argument came from.

There are people in the NFL who have killed people, been involved in shooting, stabbings, blah blah blah, and i bet you never at any point was anybody calling for a lifetime ban.

Ben Rapistberger is slapped on the wrist after allegedly raping 2 women, but nobody cares. I just think that the media went ballistic on Vick, especially the animal rights people who are in bed with the other groups...They took a man who committed bad crimes and projected him in an even worse light. Vick was a criminal, but he is also a little bit of a victim when you look at how so many people have tried to go out of their way to keep him from doing what he loves.

Bottom line is when crimes involving animals occur, conventional wisdom, and also common sense are thrown out the window. The best thing we all can do, myself included, is just leave this debate about Vick alone. We will never agree. I will end this with saying that I'm glad Vick is getting a second chance and i also hope that he does not revert back to his old life when he starts making big bucks again. I hope he's changed.
You had your last word and I will have mine:

In no way, shape or form is Vick a victim and only through the most convoluted "logic" could this once-again famous sports media darling ever be portrayed as one.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #119
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
You had your last word and I will have mine:

In no way, shape or form is Vick a victim and only through the most convoluted "logic" could this once-again famous sports media darling ever be portrayed as one.
Some people are going to hate on Vick no matter what he does.

At least come out and say what you've got against Vick. I know your an animal owner. Is that the reason why? I looked back at your posts and it just seemed to me like you went out of your way to bash the man. Is it something other than that???
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #120
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,470
Re: What Michael Vick won't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Some people are going to hate on Vick no matter what he does.
So I guess you are on the side of those who will defend MV...NO matter what he does?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39481 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25