Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #31
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yeah, I don't really get why so many people don't think Mason is worth a roster spot. A lot of people use the "he's playing against 2nd and 3rd string guys" argument, and yet a lot of those same people are in love with Marko Mitchell.
Because what the heck does Mason give you that you don't already have in Portis, Betts, Sellers, and Rock?

There's no exceptional speed, no special teams skills, no significant run or pass blocking ability...

He's merely a decent runner. But we have that in Portis and Betts.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #32
The Starter
 
Southpaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: So. MD
Age: 35
Posts: 1,318
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Because what the heck does Mason give you that you don't already have in Portis, Betts, Sellers, and Rock?

There's no exceptional speed, no special teams skills, no significant run or pass blocking ability...

He's merely a decent runner. But we have that in Portis and Betts.
I generally agree with your comments, but I'd rather have a decent runner with fresh legs when Betts inevitably goes down with an injury and Portis is wearing down towards the end of the season, rather than a guy who's ready to be put out to pasture like Shawn Alexander.

And I personally haven't seen enough from Alridge to think he's a better option than Mason.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #33
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,218
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

I don't have the faintest idea. Let me put that in GM speak for you:

We're working out the details now, he'll be our #1 WR on opening day.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Not sure I understand. If Sellers goes down, like IR type, we probably activate Eddie Williams from the PS.
I was thinking like more along the lines of a mid-game injury. If we don't care Williams who would get those snaps? Todd Yoder?
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Because what the heck does Mason give you that you don't already have in Portis, Betts, Sellers, and Rock?

There's no exceptional speed, no special teams skills, no significant run or pass blocking ability...

He's merely a decent runner. But we have that in Portis and Betts.
I agree completely...the only job that Mason should even be in the running for is Betts and that doesn't even seem like a possibility. He can't take Rocks job because he can't play ST and he doesn't fit as a change of pace back as well as Alridge or Dorsey would.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #36
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,521
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Great thread. As far as the final two running backs are concerned I bet they'll have Mason and one of the two speed guys with Aldridge being the favorite. My guess is though that they also end up putting Eddie Williams (FB) on either the PUP list or the practice squad (I don't know if there's a real threat of him getting picked up by another team).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
I was thinking like more along the lines of a mid-game injury. If we don't care Williams who would get those snaps? Todd Yoder?
Lorenzo Alexander and Albert Haynesworth will share time at FB
__________________
6.67×10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #37
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
I was thinking like more along the lines of a mid-game injury. If we don't care Williams who would get those snaps? Todd Yoder?
Well, what does any team do with a fullback injury? I would think Yoder would be the lead blocker on the GL, but otherwise, it's an easy position to just eliminate from the offense if you don't have a valuable player at the position.

Now, Sellers is good enough to absolutely demand playing time when he's available. But he's not even a starter in our current offense, which seems to have gone base 3 WRs, and even Fred Davis figures to have more playing time than Sellers.

I guess it's a good sign that last year's pro bowl fullback is a situational player for us, but it's the truth.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #38
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,521
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

I think we should keep in mind that not everyone from the final 53 dresses on gameday. All being on a 53 man roster gurantees is you get a bigger contract then the guys on the practice squad. Being on the 45 man roster is a much bigger deal.
__________________
6.67×10−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #39
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Mason doesn't add any value. He runs with decisiveness and decent elusiveness, but not moreso than Portis and Betts. He's not faster than Portis or Betts, he's not more powerful than Portis or Betts, he can't run block like Sellers, he's not a better pass protector than Portis or Betts, he's not a better receiver than Portis or Betts, and he's not a better special teamer than Rock is.

He adds nothing to your roster. Decent player but that's why he has no shot.

Alridge at least can offer a major upgrade in terms of breakaway speed over Portis and Betts.

Portis
Betts
Sellers
Rock
and if there's a 5th: Alridge
Dude did you jsut ay he is not faster than Betts? LMAO..

My list

Portis - The unquestioned starter
Betts - Godo pass receiver..average back..Knows the system
Sellers - Awesome fullback who can catch the ball.
Mason - Good vision and decent speed and decent pass receiver
Aldridge - Good speed


Jsut because a player went to teams that were loaded with rbs doesn't mean he isn't good.

Baltimore - Mcgahee, Rice, McClain
Jets - Jones, Johnson, Chatman

* Keep in mind that all of the players above were with there teams since OTAs last year and knew the offense. Compared to someone coming in right before the start of the season.

I would take Rice and Johnson over Betts and defintiely McCalin over Rock.

So make your comparisions. If we have inuries to our running backs this year. You are going to wish we dropped Rock and Kept Aldridge & Mason.

Our ST sucks. So stop using that as an excuse to keep Rock. I love my Skins. Saying that. I am not going to let one unproductive player make us lose two running back prospect because he is on special teams and can't perform as a starting RB.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #40
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Health is the biggest question.

Hey, I just realized your username-instead of repping your fandom of MW-can rep your fandom of the 53 man roster
I have a feeling I'm going to be a big fan of our final 53. Maybe a couple of exceptions but as they say, winning cures everything.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #41
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Dude did you jsut ay he is not faster than Betts? LMAO..

My list

Portis - The unquestioned starter
Betts - Godo pass receiver..average back..Knows the system
Sellers - Awesome fullback who can catch the ball.
Mason - Good vision and decent speed and decent pass receiver
Aldridge - Good speed


Jsut because a player went to teams that were loaded with rbs doesn't mean he isn't good.

Baltimore - Mcgahee, Rice, McClain
Jets - Jones, Johnson, Chatman

* Keep in mind that all of the players above were with there teams since OTAs last year and knew the offense. Compared to someone coming in right before the start of the season.

I would take Rice and Johnson over Betts and defintiely McCalin over Rock.

So make your comparisions. If we have inuries to our running backs this year. You are going to wish we dropped Rock and Kept Aldridge & Mason.

Our ST sucks. So stop using that as an excuse to keep Rock. I love my Skins. Saying that. I am not going to let one unproductive player make us lose two running back prospect because he is on special teams and can't perform as a starting RB.
You might love your Skins, but you sure as hell don't understand them or the game of football very well.

You get rid of Rock and you have to replace our best tackler on punt coverage, our best tackler on kick off coverage, and our best kick return man.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #42
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
You might love your Skins, but you sure as hell don't understand them or the game of football very well.

You get rid of Rock and you have to replace our best tackler on punt coverage, our best tackler on kick off coverage, and our best kick return man.
You obviously don't know football. Lets add some things up. So maybe YOU can understand...

1. What happened last year when CP and Betts got hurt? Where was Rock?

Oh we went and got a Shaun Alexander aka tip toe burgular..

2. He has returned one kick for TD..I think it was in 2006. Our special teams sucks. So to say he is the best tackler on special teams and thats the reason you want to keep him is frankly assinine.

3. Rock is 29 years old about to be 30 and so is Betts.

We have two RBs that have different type of styles to offer that would be more productive than Rock.

- So by your football knowledge. We have no one else that can return kicks.

- We have no one that can tackle besides him on special teams and he makes every tackle on special teams? lol Dude please.

- We should learn from our mistakes in 08. By not keeping a RB that can contribute if Betts and CP get nicked.

We have Moss, Betts, Thomas and other that can return kicks plus have more than one duty on the team.

If Danny Smith is such a good ST coach (not). He should prepare all of his players to be good tacklers on ST.

But you right. I know nothing about football.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #43
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,292
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
You obviously don't know football. Lets add some things up. So maybe YOU can understand...

1. What happened last year when CP and Betts got hurt? Where was Rock?

Oh we went and got a Shaun Alexander aka tip toe burgular..

2. He has returned one kick for TD..I think it was in 2006. Our special teams sucks. So to say he is the best tackler on special teams and thats the reason you want to keep him is frankly assinine.

3. Rock is 29 years old about to be 30 and so is Betts.

We have two RBs that have different type of styles to offer that would be more productive than Rock.

- So by your football knowledge. We have no one else that can return kicks.

- We have know one that can tackle besides him on special teams and he makes every tackle on special teams. Dude please.

- We shouldn't learn from our mistakes in 08. By not keeping a RB that can contribute if Betts and CP get nicked.

We have Moss, Betts, Thomas and other that can return kicks plus have more than one duty on the team.

But you right. I know nothing about football.
Wow, belligerent. I'm not sure whether to ream you out or admire you.

But seriously, you're vastly underestimating the importance of special teams. Rock didn't just return a kick for a TD, he ranks in the top 5 or 6 in the NFL in average yards on kick returns. The dude's legit.

But I do think we have other players who could adequately replace him on kick returns. Where I'd be much more concerned is punt and kick coverage, considering we already lost two out of our three best special teams tacklers in James Thrash and Khary Campbell. Losing Rock, the last of that coverage trio, would be a loss too great to bear. You'd be screaming at your TV in frustration every time we gave up a long return.

As for the injury risk, you're basing most of your argument on the anectdotal evidence from last season, when Betts got hurt and Portis "wore down." First off, Portis's drop off last year had more to do with a decimated offensive line than it did with his own drop off. But that notwithstanding, assuming that both of your top two RBs will be injured at the same time for a prolonged period is nothing short of retarded. Think about it, how many times have we needed to rely on Rock Cartwright (our #3 RB for the last 7 or 8 years) for more than a single game at a time?

The benefit Cartwright brings on special teams far outweighs the value Mason brings. Mason can't play teams, and he's no faster than Portis, Betts, or Cartwright. If you're going to mount an argument for any back over Cartwright, it definitely shouldn't be Mason. It should be Alridge, because at least he has a chance of breaking a gigantic play a la Darren Sproles.

Mason is completely ordinary. He can find holes and run with authority, that's about it. But he's a liability in pass protection so you can't put him on the field on 3rd downs. He doesn't have breakaway speed so he's not a fit as a change of pace back. And as discussed ad nauseum here, he can't play teams. He might be a decent back with a decent future ahead of him if he can improve on key areas, but we need other skill sets. We're all taken care of in the decent RB department, we've got two of them already. And to sacrifice a key special teams player for the sake of excess insurance at RB is, well, stupid.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Wink Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Great thread. As far as the final two running backs are concerned I bet they'll have Mason and one of the two speed guys with Aldridge being the favorite. My guess is though that they also end up putting Eddie Williams (FB) on either the PUP list or the practice squad (I don't know if there's a real threat of him getting picked up by another team).



Lorenzo Alexander and Albert Haynesworth will share time at FB
Can Eddie Williams be put on the PUP list? I thought he played in a game recently. Maybe not.

I was thinking Mike Williams as emergency FB. He was carrying Sellers around on his back the other day like a knapsack.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #45
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

My take on Mason's likelihood of making the final 53 is it would indicate Zorn has less confidence in Betts than anyone previously thought. I mean that in a comprehensive way, like he doesn't have confidence Ladell can spot CP effectively, stay healthy the entire season and even be a legit starter in case Portis suffers injury. I doubt Zorn sees it this way though. Basically if Betts is a poor man's Portis as some say than Mason is a poor man's Betts. Aldridge or Dorsey should make the team tho cuz they bring something new to the table...super speed and agility. So if we're keeping 5 RBs it's gonna be:

CP, Betts, Rock, Sellers, Aldridge or Dorsey.
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34077 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25