Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
The Starter
 
Hail to the Redskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,319
Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

OK... I mentioned it in another thread, but I wanted to discuss quarterback height and get everyone's opinion.

Chase Daniel is listed at 6' 0". He is considered "too short" to QB for the Skins (I guess?) b/c I'm not sure what more a rookie QB could do to earn a roster spot. He's not too short for the Saints b/c they have an All-Pro QB THE SAME EXACT HEIGHT... he wears #9 for them.

Here's what I REALLY don't get...

Drew Brees - 6' 0"
Kurt Warner - 6' 2"
Jake Delhomme - 6' 2"
Tony Romo - 6' 2"
Aaron Rodgers - 6' 2"
David Gerrard - 6' 1"
Brett Favre - 6' 2"
Tavaris Jackson - 6' 2"
Mark Sanchez - 6' 2"
Michael Vick - 6' 0"
Donovan McNabb - 6' 2"
Seneca Wallace - 5' 11"

For the Saints, he could be Brees 2.0... (I'll tell you what... it's a great opportunity for him to learn behind a guy who certainly has made 6'0 work!)

Don't get me wrong... I'm not drunk on Daniel Flavored Kool-Aid, nor do I think he's going to be as good as Drew Brees... what I don't get is how his height has anything to do with his ability to QB in the NFL.

Is there REALLY that much difference in an inch or two? Does that make one QB a Hall of Famer and the other a non-drafted, 53-man cut?

Anyone else that doesn't get this whole thing?? Have a GOOD explanation?
__________________
“Sometimes it is not enough to our best; we must do what is required.”
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Hail to the Redskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,513
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

do we have to talk about another team's practice squad qb? really, do we have to.

Chase showed a lot of potential, and I think Zorn would have liked him to get on the PS, but he didn't. I really hope he is now worrying about the Giants, and not where Chase ends up. Remember, we could take him off their squad if we wanted to activate him.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
The Starter
 
Hail to the Redskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,319
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

I'm talking about QB height, with Daniels being the springboard for the conversation... this thread isn't about him, necessarily...

... it's about 6'0" being too short to QB in the NFL and getting other people's opinion on THAT.
__________________
“Sometimes it is not enough to our best; we must do what is required.”
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Hail to the Redskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,513
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

ok, sorry, I don't have any idea on that one.

I apologize for the snark post.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Problem is, everyone who actually saw Chase Daniel in person said he was nowhere near 6 feet tall. I kept hearing that he was more like 5'9 or maybe 5'10.

Theismann was also 6'2 as was Joe Montana. Doug Flutie was well under 6 feet too. So I guess it just depends on how adept they are at seeing the field when they're not as tall as others.

There have been plenty of 6'5 quarterbacks who couldn't see the field either.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Camp Scrub
 
dan_snyder69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: maryland & south carolina
Posts: 92
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

It must have been his play in practice, the stuff we couldn't see. . . because otherwise, I thought Chase should have made the squad. And I bet he is a lot closer to 6 foot than 5' 9 lol. I think 6 foot and up is enough for the NFL
__________________
Moving to the South only has one drawback: No FedEx Field!
dan_snyder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 3,229
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Well here is the thing...

Height shouldn't even matter. It's about the release... Brennans sidearm release is even lower then Daniels IMO
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Propane and propane accessories
 
JWsleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 45
Posts: 4,587
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

I don't get the feeling that Zorn was so worried about the height thing. I just think once we decided to go with two QBs, that was that. They must have been pretty confident no one would move Chase to their active roster (they were right), but I bet they're disappointed he chose NOs PS over ours.

As for the main question, I don't think it helps, but obviously some good QBs haven't been that tall.
__________________
Hail from Houston!
JWsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail to the Redskins View Post
OK... I mentioned it in another thread, but I wanted to discuss quarterback height and get everyone's opinion.

Chase Daniel is listed at 6' 0". He is considered "too short" to QB for the Skins (I guess?) b/c I'm not sure what more a rookie QB could do to earn a roster spot. He's not too short for the Saints b/c they have an All-Pro QB THE SAME EXACT HEIGHT... he wears #9 for them.

Here's what I REALLY don't get...

Drew Brees - 6' 0"
Kurt Warner - 6' 2"
Jake Delhomme - 6' 2"
Tony Romo - 6' 2"
Aaron Rodgers - 6' 2"
David Gerrard - 6' 1"
Brett Favre - 6' 2"
Tavaris Jackson - 6' 2"
Mark Sanchez - 6' 2"
Michael Vick - 6' 0"
Donovan McNabb - 6' 2"
Seneca Wallace - 5' 11"

For the Saints, he could be Brees 2.0... (I'll tell you what... it's a great opportunity for him to learn behind a guy who certainly has made 6'0 work!)

Don't get me wrong... I'm not drunk on Daniel Flavored Kool-Aid, nor do I think he's going to be as good as Drew Brees... what I don't get is how his height has anything to do with his ability to QB in the NFL.

Is there REALLY that much difference in an inch or two? Does that make one QB a Hall of Famer and the other a non-drafted, 53-man cut?

Anyone else that doesn't get this whole thing?? Have a GOOD explanation?

You can give the disclaimer that you don't think he is as good as Brees but you still compared the two.

It has been acknowledged that he isn't even six feet. New Orleans can have him.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

What did you expect Chase to do? Zorn did his thing and Chase did his. Zorn and co has a job of bringing a winner back to DC and Chase is trying to make it in the NFL. He probably is pissed at being cut in the first place with Colt on IR and might think he has a better shot in NO for some reason. My personal prediction now is neither Chase or Colt will ever gain starter status. I have a feeling we are going to draft another QB in 2010 and might even go for one of the big names. To me that makes sense with what has transpired. It is dumb to only have 2 active QB's on your roster, especially with an offensive line as old as ours. IF the kid was too short, why bother signing him in the first place.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Pocket$ $traight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 4,261
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
What did you expect Chase to do? Zorn did his thing and Chase did his. Zorn and co has a job of bringing a winner back to DC and Chase is trying to make it in the NFL. He probably is pissed at being cut in the first place with Colt on IR and might think he has a better shot in NO for some reason. My personal prediction now is neither Chase or Colt will ever gain starter status. I have a feeling we are going to draft another QB in 2010 and might even go for one of the big names. To me that makes sense with what has transpired. It is dumb to only have 2 active QB's on your roster, especially with an offensive line as old as ours. IF the kid was too short, why bother signing him in the first place.
How is it dumb to only have 2 qbs? If we get to the third qb, the season is over.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #12
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Well Chase or whoever might be able tosalvage a season if both JC and Collins went down. We have the oldest line in football. Do you think these guys are going to make it through a 16 game season without missing games? Hasn't happened in a long time. Collins is an old man. What if JC goes down with a ACL tear against the GMen Sunday. You are stuck with Collins for 15 games. Think he could last with an injury prone line?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,842
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Well Chase or whoever might be able tosalvage a season if both JC and Collins went down. We have the oldest line in football. Do you think these guys are going to make it through a 16 game season without missing games? Hasn't happened in a long time. Collins is an old man. What if JC goes down with a ACL tear against the GMen Sunday. You are stuck with Collins for 15 games. Think he could last with an injury prone line?
Very few teams...except for the almighty Patriots...are going to be successful if their 2nd QB and their 3rd QB have to start because the starting QB goes down with injury.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

My point is you need to be prepared for some really messed up contingencies. Look at Minnesota last year. Jackson sucked, they throw in Frerotte, he gets hurt, etc. Teams getting stuck going to #3 QBs isn't all that rare.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: Let's Talk QB Height (w/ Daniel going to N.O.)

What do you mean? Collins got us into the playoffs last as a backup. Brady got his big start as a backup winning the SB. I rather have a real QB than one that was converted into a WR(ARE). I think Colt or Chase could have won some games starting.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.43050 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25