Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


American Indians look to high court

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #61
Special Teams
 
jgalecpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 457
Re: American Indians look to high court

This case probably will never get heard.

First, what they are doing is appealing to the USSCT for a 'writ of certiorari'.

The Supreme Ct gets THOUSANDS of these a year, from nearly everyone who lost at the Appellate level.

The supreme court hears maybe 20 - 50 a year, and are hearing fewer and fewer cases every year.

They generally only take cases where (a) there have been similar cases resulting in different outcomes among different courts of appeals (e.g the 4th circuit says something is ok but the 9th says it's fine), or (b) he matter is of great national import.

This is certainly not the former and seems not to be the latter. At its heart it is a trademark case.

If it does hear the appeal, it is only on the question of did the appeals court make a mistake in handling the appeal?

It will not rehear the case all over ('de novo').

I bet you will hear that 'cert was denied' meaning they won't even hear the case.

That has the effect of letting the appeals ct decision stand, and in effect even strengthening the decision.

J-dawg
__________________
Theismann: You're wrong, the rule is wrong, the refs are wrong, and I'm right
jgalecpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #62
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 531
Re: American Indians look to high court

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It isn't. The N word is universally regarded as demeaning. Redskins is not in any way considered as such (except maybe to football sensibilities at times). There could be some people who don't like the term. But you can find some people to not like anything.

Saving a choking baby? You can find some people who don't like it.
Capitalism? Some don't like it.
Smootsmack? Njall doesn't like him.

Just because a few don't like it doesn't make it wrong. Now if they could prove a culturally significant group of unignorable size thought it was offensive then maybe I could understand.
So the offensive level of a term is dependent upon the number of people who are offended by it? That's interesting. So therefore a derogatory term would no longer be derogatory following an effective genocide of those people? Worth considering when we refer to the "few" who are offended by the term Redskins.

Let's stop being foolish. Redskins is an unfortunate nickname. As lifetime fans of the team, we don't want to see a name change, but lets not try to justify our selfishness by denying the derogatory nature of the moniker.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #63
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: American Indians look to high court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
So the offensive level of a term is dependent upon the number of people who are offended by it? That's interesting. So therefore a derogatory term would no longer be derogatory following an effective genocide of those people? Worth considering when we refer to the "few" who are offended by the term Redskins.

Let's stop being foolish. Redskins is an unfortunate nickname. As lifetime fans of the team, we don't want to see a name change, but lets not try to justify our selfishness by denying the derogatory nature of the moniker.
So if one person finds something "offensive" then it is so? I think that's more interesting. In fact I find your screen name offensive. Please change it.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #64
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,991
Re: American Indians look to high court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
So the offensive level of a term is dependent upon the number of people who are offended by it? That's interesting. So therefore a derogatory term would no longer be derogatory following an effective genocide of those people? Worth considering when we refer to the "few" who are offended by the term Redskins.

Let's stop being foolish. Redskins is an unfortunate nickname. As lifetime fans of the team, we don't want to see a name change, but lets not try to justify our selfishness by denying the derogatory nature of the moniker.
Who exactly are you speaking for?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:14 PM   #65
Impact Rookie
 
Zerohero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: newport news, va
Age: 35
Posts: 749
Re: American Indians look to high court

We used to have to go to the Super Bowl to get all this fuss, miss those days.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #66
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: American Indians look to high court

Some people get out of bed in the morning just looking for a reason to be offended. I wonder if the people complaining about being offended have ever offended anyone? Wanting to change the name of my favorite football team every few years after the court has ruled against it kind of offends me. You can find something offensive in a lot of things if that's what you're looking for.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"

Last edited by 53Fan; 09-18-2009 at 11:43 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #67
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,702
Re: American Indians look to high court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
So the offensive level of a term is dependent upon the number of people who are offended by it?
You can't merrily cater to everyone, at some point people are going to have to grow a spine or get thicker skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
That's interesting. So therefore a derogatory term would no longer be derogatory following an effective genocide of those people?
Cool! I'm on board. In honor of your idea we'll call it the 'For Coff Redskins' Project. Deal?

Redskins is NOT a racial slur. Never was. No Professional team has been named a derogatory term because you're trying to sell stuff and present an inspiring image. How would that make any sense?
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #68
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 531
Re: American Indians look to high court

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
So if one person finds something "offensive" then it is so? I think that's more interesting. In fact I find your screen name offensive. Please change it.
If you carefully review the logic of my statement, you'll find that is exactly what I'm NOT saying. You're reversing the syllogism, which is a fallible argument.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #69
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: American Indians look to high court

Unfortunately, we do live in a society that if one is offended we have to listen. Look at a joke at work for instance, everyone could laugh at it, but if 1 person finds it offensive, then all of sudden, it is.
I just have a feeling that even if we win this battle, eventually we will lose cause we as a society are getting more and more "touchy".
I personally feel this is a DUMB battle. The name should not offend anyone in my opinion, but it does cause some people just like to complain. They are miserable and they want others to be miserable. Fact is, by taking the name away, you are hurting MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of fans, while making a select few happy. Also, even though the Cowboys fans will laugh, most of them will be upset that they no longer have the "Cowboys vs Indians" rivalry.
In summation, you are hurting more than you're helping by getting rid of the name.

I would LOVE to pose the idea that the people trying to get the named abolished have to pay each and every redskins fan fair market value for all their redskins apparel and memorbilia. I bet this lawsuit would quickly disappear if they had to do that.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #70
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 531
Re: American Indians look to high court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Who exactly are you speaking for?
Lifetime fans of the team, as in "As lifetime fans of the team, we don't want to see a name change." Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but I just assumed that no die hard fans ever want to see a name change. The bigger point I'm making is that to approach this topic from an objective standpoint rather than as Redskins fans may give us a different outlook, but that's not going to happen if people are more concerned with defending the team's nickname than discovering the true meaning of the word. Whether or not the term is offensive is hardly an argument. Redskin fans and many other people may not think it is, but lexicographers are pretty much in agreement. From Webster's to the American Heritage Dictionary, the term is labelled "offensive." I haven't been able to locate the definition through the OED, the be all and end all of English language dictionaries, but according to Wikipedia (admittedly not a credible source), the OED also considers the word offensive.

Look, I'm just being honest with myself; I can accept the opinion of objective experts who consider the term offensive while at the same time defend the team in keeping the name.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40478 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25