Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #256
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
We agree more often than not, but I'm going with the former on this one. I think it's system. However, the truth is usually found somewhere in the middle. But if I had to put it on one or the other I would say it's Zorn. Has to be. This team moved the ball up and down the field yesterday, almost at will, until it got into the red zone. The same Redskins players that amassed those stats between the 20s marched right into the red zone. It wasn't the players that changed, it was the play calling and the tempo. That's on Jim Zorn. Besides, how would you know if you have playmakers if you don't call the right plays to even find out? Further when I look around the league, there are more mediocre and average players than great ones. So it's not about having a stud at every position.

The Cowboys took Brandon Jacobs out of the game last night, so what does Coughlin do? He kept chucking the ball to Manningham. At some point Tom Couglin said, we can't score 30 points and keep up with the Cowboys pounding the ball up the middle. So he abandoned the run relatively early and spread the ball around. They even lost one of their top receivers and top defenders, both playmakers, and still pulled it out. That's good coaching.
Certainly I didn't mean to imply that Jim Zorn is blameless. He very well could be lost and clueless, but looking at it as objectively as I can, I wonder if our "playmakers" are as good as we all think they are. And I don't believe our offensive issues are limited to just the red zone. Our success between the 20's could be due to the relative health of the O-line. But if you think back to last year, as the guys up front began to get nicked up, it was no picnic between the 20's either. To assume that the offensive line will be able to maintain good health for the season is a notion that has already begun to fall apart.

Chris Cooley is a world-class tight end. No doubt about it. Though with only one TD catch last year, obviously he isn't being utilized to his best ability. The Clinton Portis debate might rage on forever, but no one can rationally argue that he's just as explosive five years ago as he is today. He gets you the tough yards; he's more of a workhorse back than a home-run threat.

Santana Moss hasn't been close to the level he was at in 2005. Defenses are better able to take him out of the game and reduce his ability to be a factor than ever before. In addition to all of that, it now looks like his head's not completely in it, with some attitude issues to boot.

Randle El is a possession guy only, and he hasn't once been able to add the extra dimension to the offense the way we, and I think the team, envisioned. Simply put, he's not a dynamic playmaker.

So that's a brief, but I think accurate rundown of our four so-called playmakers. And don't forget this: These are the same four guys who were here when Joe Gibbs was running the offense, when Al Saunders was running the offense, and now for Jim Zorn's offense. The results seem to be the same no matter who the coach is. There's not a game-breaker on our roster, and while Zorn's scheme hasn't proven it can get the best from the players on our roster, I'm not sure our best would be good enough no matter what the system is, or which coordinator is running it.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #257
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,630
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Certainly I didn't mean to imply that Jim Zorn is blameless. He very well could be lost and clueless, but looking at it as objectively as I can, I wonder if our "playmakers" are as good as we all think they are. And I don't believe our offensive issues are limited to just the red zone. Our success between the 20's could be due to the relative health of the O-line. But if you think back to last year, as the guys up front began to get nicked up, it was no picnic between the 20's either. To assume that the offensive line will be able to maintain good health for the season is a notion that has already begun to fall apart.

Chris Cooley is a world-class tight end. No doubt about it. Though with only one TD catch last year, obviously he isn't being utilized to his best ability. The Clinton Portis debate might rage on forever, but no one can rationally argue that he's just as explosive five years ago as he is today. He gets you the tough yards; he's more of a workhorse back than a home-run threat.

Santana Moss hasn't been close to the level he was at in 2005. Defenses are better able to take him out of the game and reduce his ability to be a factor than ever before. In addition to all of that, it now looks like his head's not completely in it, with some attitude issues to boot.

Randle El is a possession guy only, and he hasn't once been able to add the extra dimension to the offense the way we, and I think the team, envisioned. Simply put, he's not a dynamic playmaker.

So that's a brief, but I think accurate rundown of our four so-called playmakers. And don't forget this: These are the same four guys who were here when Joe Gibbs was running the offense, when Al Saunders was running the offense, and now for Jim Zorn's offense. The results seem to be the same no matter who the coach is. There's not a game-breaker on our roster, and while Zorn's scheme hasn't proven it can get the best from the players on our roster, I'm not sure our best would be good enough no matter what the system is, or which coordinator is running it.

I agree. The Skins have some nice players but they are not the dynamic playmakers and weapons most on this board think/want them to be.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #258
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I agree. The Skins have some nice players but they are not the dynamic playmakers and weapons most on this board think/want them to be.
How do we know that?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #259
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Wink Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How do we know that?
Because Irish says they aren't. Come on Smoot, do you really need more proof than that?
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #260
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Certainly I didn't mean to imply that Jim Zorn is blameless. He very well could be lost and clueless, but looking at it as objectively as I can, I wonder if our "playmakers" are as good as we all think they are. And I don't believe our offensive issues are limited to just the red zone. Our success between the 20's could be due to the relative health of the O-line. But if you think back to last year, as the guys up front began to get nicked up, it was no picnic between the 20's either. To assume that the offensive line will be able to maintain good health for the season is a notion that has already begun to fall apart.

Chris Cooley is a world-class tight end. No doubt about it. Though with only one TD catch last year, obviously he isn't being utilized to his best ability. The Clinton Portis debate might rage on forever, but no one can rationally argue that he's just as explosive five years ago as he is today. He gets you the tough yards; he's more of a workhorse back than a home-run threat.

Santana Moss hasn't been close to the level he was at in 2005. Defenses are better able to take him out of the game and reduce his ability to be a factor than ever before. In addition to all of that, it now looks like his head's not completely in it, with some attitude issues to boot.

Randle El is a possession guy only, and he hasn't once been able to add the extra dimension to the offense the way we, and I think the team, envisioned. Simply put, he's not a dynamic playmaker.

So that's a brief, but I think accurate rundown of our four so-called playmakers. And don't forget this: These are the same four guys who were here when Joe Gibbs was running the offense, when Al Saunders was running the offense, and now for Jim Zorn's offense. The results seem to be the same no matter who the coach is. There's not a game-breaker on our roster, and while Zorn's scheme hasn't proven it can get the best from the players on our roster, I'm not sure our best would be good enough no matter what the system is, or which coordinator is running it.
Other teams have done better with less. The problem is . . . .drum roll please . . . . Shit, I don't know?
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #261
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Pretty much everything here is spot on

Campbell does operate well out of the no huddle and when calling his plays, I think that we should trust him more, he seems to be calling them better than Zorn

would Sherman Smith stick around if Zorn got canned? I'd think about talking to Zorn and having him relinquish playcalling duties, but if you do that mid-season you might as well just fire the guy.. I know the OCs do more than just call the plays, but we've got a guy with a lot more experience that could be doing it, but Zorn called the first play and he'll call every one until he's gone

so much to be frustrated at right now

it sucks seeing all of these teams pull good plays, jump catches, big passes over the middle, blazing runs, and thinking that we must have the shortest highlight reel of big plays in the NFL
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #262
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,659
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Because Irish says they aren't. Come on Smoot, do you really need more proof than that?
Yeah Smoot. Us Irish are part of a group 36 million strong in America (ironically only 4 million in all of ireland). Do you really want to question us or must we be settling this back down by me boondocks? Wait what am I agreeing to again?
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #263
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
You should read Boswell's article in today's Wash Post. He basically says the O wasnt good at scoring under Gibbs and now with essentially the same guys they arent good at scoring under Zorn. Its the players, not the coaching. Think about it, the Moss & ARE are midgets so they get lost in the RZ. They only have 1 RB that's a threat so he's easily keyed on and stopped. JC throws a hard ball at close range which creates problems. Cooley as the only receiving threat is then double teamed and neutralized. The O can move up the field fine but just doesnt have the horses to be successful in the RZ.
Well everyone knew that we were running jumbo under Gibbs too, he was very predictable
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #264
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I agree. The Skins have some nice players but they are not the dynamic playmakers and weapons most on this board think/want them to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
How do we know that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53fan
Because Irish says they aren't. Come on Smoot, do you really need more proof than that?
We know from watching four seasons with these guys under 3 different coordinators. Our record has been mediocre to average at best, and the offense has been really the only thing keeping this team from reaching the next level. These are the "playmakers" we have on offense.

The proof is what we've seen on the field since 2006.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #265
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
We know from watching four seasons with these guys under 3 different coordinators. Our record has been mediocre to average at best, and the offense has been really the only thing keeping this team from reaching the next level. These are the "playmakers" we have on offense.

The proof is what we've seen on the field since 2006.
While it's true that we really only have one playmaker (Cooley), it's not like we've had to suffer through an Oakland or Cleveland stretch of offensive ineptitude or anything.

You have to keep it in perspective: since 2005, the only players we invested in our offense with were the three 2008 2nd round draft picks. The only chance we have at offensive improvements is for the investments to pay off. Honestly, I can't see any other way we can generate offensive firepower.

On Sunday, we threw at Kelly 6 times and he made 4 catches for 36 yards. But Campbell also missed him on the route he ran the best during the game. Davis had the big block on the 3rd and 1 run on the last drive. Thomas was 0 for 2 attempts.

Marko Mitchell is starting to get some opportunities as well. It's not the dead end that the offense reached in the middle of October the last two years, there's actual reason to think that they might get better in the second half, you know, when they need to be.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #266
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
While it's true that we really only have one playmaker (Cooley), it's not like we've had to suffer through an Oakland or Cleveland stretch of offensive ineptitude or anything.

You have to keep it in perspective: since 2005, the only players we invested in our offense with were the three 2008 2nd round draft picks. The only chance we have at offensive improvements is for the investments to pay off. Honestly, I can't see any other way we can generate offensive firepower.

On Sunday, we threw at Kelly 6 times and he made 4 catches for 36 yards. But Campbell also missed him on the route he ran the best during the game. Davis had the big block on the 3rd and 1 run on the last drive. Thomas was 0 for 2 attempts.

Marko Mitchell is starting to get some opportunities as well. It's not the dead end that the offense reached in the middle of October the last two years, there's actual reason to think that they might get better in the second half, you know, when they need to be.
Actually, since the start of the 2008 season, the Oakland Raiders have averaged more points per game (16.4) than the Redskins (16.2). And in that same span, we've averaged less than 2 ppg more than the Browns (14.3). So really, we're suffering the same sort of ineptitude. We're doing less with more when compared to Oakland actually. Sure, we can amass more yards than they can, but scoring wins football games.

Since the start of last year, only St. Louis, Cincy, and Cleveland have averaged less ppg than we have, and Cincy was an aberration IMO because Palmer was hurt most of last season. In addition to the Raiders, the 0 for the last 19 Lions have outscored us over that span. Pretty sad.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #267
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Actually, since the start of the 2008 season, the Oakland Raiders have averaged more points per game (16.4) than the Redskins (16.2). And in that same span, we've averaged less than 2 ppg more than the Browns (14.3). So really, we're suffering the same sort of ineptitude. We're doing less with more when compared to Oakland actually. Sure, we can amass more yards than they can, but scoring wins football games.

Since the start of last year, only St. Louis, Cincy, and Cleveland have averaged less ppg than we have, and Cincy was an aberration IMO because Palmer was hurt most of last season. In addition to the Raiders, the 0 for the last 19 Lions have outscored us over that span. Pretty sad.
Okay, go back a year. Does your disproof hold? Go back another year. Does it still hold?

Okay then, no need to cherry pick your argument.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #268
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Okay, go back a year. Does your disproof hold? Go back another year. Does it still hold?

Okay then, no need to cherry pick your argument.
Um, huh? I mean, I know you're never wrong, but what are you talking about? I did go back a year. I went back to the start of the Zorn era. Not sure what you're getting at. How are we not suffering the same sort of ineptitude as Oakland when they're outscoring us over that span? Because they've used draft picks on offensive players?

(PS- don't be so arrogant when people disagree with you. It's not necessary).
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #269
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Um, huh? I mean, I know you're never wrong, but what are you talking about? I did go back a year. I went back to the start of the Zorn era. Not sure what you're getting at. How are we not suffering the same sort of ineptitude as Oakland when they're outscoring us over that span? Because they've used draft picks on offensive players?

(PS- don't be so arrogant when people disagree with you. It's not necessary).
GM, look in the mirror before you judge me. You made a bad argument.

1) you can't pick and choose a span to fit the argument you want to make. That's called cherry picking. That's all I said. Nothing more, nothing less.

2) you used PF as your only evidence, knowing full well that you weren't giving us the whole story. I know you're better than this, as you post here more than enough to show that you're a bright guy.

I didn't push the argument because I know you won't always have as short a fuse as you do after watching what transpired on Sunday. I certainly don't think any less of you for being pissed off with a bad outcome. I'm pissed off, too. But if you're trying to prove that we've been just as inept as the worst offenses in the league over the past few years, you're not going to have much of an argument.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #270
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

tripp sure has a way with words lol
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35872 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25