Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

queue Clint Eastwood western music.....

The Good
- Great first play of the game playcall.
- Four drives of 13+ plays, one of 9 plays
- JC throwing the ball away when nothing there
- JC run when play breaks down
- JC accuracy & timing
- Use of Sellers on traditional FB leads / ISOs. Most of these plays were successful.
- Cooley's overall performance
- Zorn playcalls were good outside of Red Zone, good pass/run mix, good formation mix, good personnel mix.
- good rotation of RBs
- Zone Blitzes called by Blache.....hooray!
- Nickel package with Orakpo at RDE
- Cobra package looked good
- Better mix and disguising of defensive playcalls. Pre-reads tougher this week.
- Aggressive tackling that created two fumbles (one nullfied by BS penalty).
- Zone Blitz from Rocky with clear path to Bulger
- AH & Grif, well done!
- AH taking up two blockers and still making the tackle.
- Orakpo rushing the QB more, less read & react.
- Good pressure by AC & Orakpo even though the sack totals don't show it.
- Horton great play on the last play.
- 0 points for Rams in 2nd half.
- DB coverage for most part. Tryon not getting abused.

The Bad
- Offense Red Zone playcalling overall.
- JC underthrow on 1st play of game to Kelly and bad throw to DT. JC must not be afraid to let it go and let the WRs run to the pass, better to overthrow than underthrow.
- Stretch / Zone blocking runs. For the most part not effective, outside of 1 or 2 plays the stretch didn't work unless the RB cut back up the middle almost immediately.
- No traps or counters called.
- The Gs pull, ran twice, stuffed twice. Shelve this play.
- Horton missed tackle on Jackson for big run.
- D. Hall falling down on the fade for TD. This is the second medicore/poor game for Hall. Let's not have a repeat of his tenue in Oak. (continued in the Ugly)
- Barnes not in game, would like to see him on the field at least in one or two packages.

The Ugly
- D. Hall "tackle" on the Rams 2nd possession quick screen. He pushed the ballcarrier....ugh.
- D. Hall not taking away the fade pre-snapon the TD play. He had Landry's help inside to take away the slant.
- Moss fumble.
- First drive, 1st & GL from 8 - stretch into a Cover 0 blitz. Zorn should know the stretch isn't a good play to run near the GL, everyone is crowding the line and no cutback lanes.
2nd & GL from the 7, shuffle pass to Portis (this probably should be in the Bad category)
- Second drive, 2nd & GL from the 10. Good playcall, Sellers drop.
- 3rd & GL from the 10. Good playcall, Cooley quick stop-n-go in seam but Rabach was manhandled into the backfield and JC throws it away.
- Third drive inside 10, first play is stretch...ugh.
- same drive Portis throw... The B-gap Iso on the left was set up perfectly and should've been audibled to.
- Final series inside the 10, we've discussed enough...
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,795
Re: Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
queue Clint Eastwood western music.....

The Good
- Great first play of the game playcall.
- Four drives of 13+ plays, one of 9 plays
- JC throwing the ball away when nothing there
- JC run when play breaks down
- JC accuracy & timing
- Use of Sellers on traditional FB leads / ISOs. Most of these plays were successful.
- Cooley's overall performance
- Zorn playcalls were good outside of Red Zone, good pass/run mix, good formation mix, good personnel mix.
- good rotation of RBs
- Zone Blitzes called by Blache.....hooray!
- Nickel package with Orakpo at RDE
- Cobra package looked good
- Better mix and disguising of defensive playcalls. Pre-reads tougher this week.
- Aggressive tackling that created two fumbles (one nullfied by BS penalty).
- Zone Blitz from Rocky with clear path to Bulger
- AH & Grif, well done!
- AH taking up two blockers and still making the tackle.
- Orakpo rushing the QB more, less read & react.
- Good pressure by AC & Orakpo even though the sack totals don't show it.
- Horton great play on the last play.
- 0 points for Rams in 2nd half.
- DB coverage for most part. Tryon not getting abused.
I'll echo the thoughts about Tryon, thought he was pretty decent out there actually. From the 20 to the 20, we looked pretty good offensively.

Quote:
The Bad
- Offense Red Zone playcalling overall.
- JC underthrow on 1st play of game to Kelly and bad throw to DT. JC must not be afraid to let it go and let the WRs run to the pass, better to overthrow than underthrow.
- Stretch / Zone blocking runs. For the most part not effective, outside of 1 or 2 plays the stretch didn't work unless the RB cut back up the middle almost immediately.
- No traps or counters called.
- The Gs pull, ran twice, stuffed twice. Shelve this play.
- Horton missed tackle on Jackson for big run.
- D. Hall falling down on the fade for TD. This is the second medicore/poor game for Hall. Let's not have a repeat of his tenue in Oak. (continued in the Ugly)
- Barnes not in game, would like to see him on the field at least in one or two packages.
Fred Davis was kind of "eh" as well when in there to block. I won't blame him for the 2 yard loss on the one catch he had. Barnes was inactive, though I'm not entirely sure why. Zorn has said that his role this year will primarily be special teams.

Quote:
The Ugly
- D. Hall "tackle" on the Rams 2nd possession quick screen. He pushed the ballcarrier....ugh.
- D. Hall not taking away the fade pre-snapon the TD play. He had Landry's help inside to take away the slant.
- Moss fumble.
- First drive, 1st & GL from 8 - stretch into a Cover 0 blitz. Zorn should know the stretch isn't a good play to run near the GL, everyone is crowding the line and no cutback lanes.
2nd & GL from the 7, shuffle pass to Portis (this probably should be in the Bad category)
- Second drive, 2nd & GL from the 10. Good playcall, Sellers drop.
- 3rd & GL from the 10. Good playcall, Cooley quick stop-n-go in seam but Rabach was manhandled into the backfield and JC throws it away.
- Third drive inside 10, first play is stretch...ugh.
- same drive Portis throw... The B-gap Iso on the left was set up perfectly and should've been audibled to.
- Final series inside the 10, we've discussed enough...
We've covered the ugly quite a bit...red...zone.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,772
Re: Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Kelly broke open on a streak, had a couple of steps on his man, but JC underthrew the pass and allowed the defender to catch up and break up the pass. A perfect pass likely would have been 7 points.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,112
Re: Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

It's because JC can't throw an accurate deep ball to save his life.. We have the talent at WR, GREAT TE, good Line and pretty good RB, but yet no points ever... HMM i wonder why.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,393
Re: Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Nice thread Sammy. Looks like there were a lot good things to take out of this game and most of the bad can be corrected. The blitz was more effective than usual. Good to see that.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Impact Rookie
 
tdSKINS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Altavista Virginia
Age: 25
Posts: 711
Re: Slingin Sammy 33's - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Good thread Sammy. You put hit the nail right on the head
__________________
#21 Never Forget
HOKIES!
tdSKINS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.20539 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25