Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Disjointed Coaching Structure

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Disjointed Coaching Structure

Check the appointment orgins of these coaches and gauge whether the front office has made a concerted effort at building a team that works together toward success.

Take a look and then see if you can find another coaching heirarchy in the NFL that has this many disjointed coaches with no previous working connections.

Last question...If our franchise chose to go in a different direction than Gregg Williams for Head Coach why are so many of the coaches he brought to the Redskins still apart of our football team?

----------------

Jim Zorn - Appointed by Vinny Cerrato as Head Coach in 2008 after first being signed as an offensive coordinator. Previously a QB coach with Seattle.

Greg Blache - Brought in by Gregg Williams to DL coach in 2004. Promoted to DC in 2008 after his appointer, Gregg Williams, is not hired as head coach. Previously from Chicago.

Sherman Smith - Brought in by Jim Zorn to be offensive coordinator in 2008. Worked with Jim Zorn in Seattle.

Joe Bugel - Brought in by Joe Gibbs 2.0 in 2004 as OL coach. Came back after two years out of football.

Stump Mitchell - Brought in by Jim Zorn in 2008 to be RB coach. Worked with Zorn in Seattle.

Stan Hixon - Brought in by Joe Gibbs 2.0 in 2004 as WR coach. Previously WR coach for LSU Tigers.

Scott Wachenheim - Brought in by Vinny Cerrato in 2009 as TE coach. Previously coached locally at Liberty University.

John Palermo - Brought in by Vinny Ceratto in 2008 to be DL coach. Previously a DL coach in the college ranks and apart of the 1988 Notre Dame National Chamionship.

Kirk Olivadotti - 10 year Redskins assistant who has been internally promoted to LB coach.

Jerry Gray - Brought in by Gregg Williams in 2006 to coach Secondary. Previously coached alongside Gregg in Buffalo.

Steve Jackson Brought in by Gregg Williams in 2004 to coach safties.
Previously coached alongside Gregg in Buffalo.

Danny Smith - Brought in by Gregg Williams in 2004 to coach the Special Teams. Previously coached alongside Gregg in Buffalo.

-------------
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Impact Rookie
 
tootergray34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

all bums except bugel
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,248
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Joe has been a great O-Line coach for the Redskins but he is near the end of his career. I think this is his last season. It might be all of the coaching staffs last season.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Joe has been a great O-Line coach for the Redskins but he is near the end of his career. I think this is his last season. It might be all of the coaching staffs last season.
That'd be a great idea since they seem to have no coaching correlation to each other. Our entire staff might work together better and probably it'd be best if they answer to one overseer of the entire unit...namely a head coach...instead of one guy for the offense and one guy for the defense.

Gibbs is gone and so should that lame ass coaching structure of the Co-Head Coaches. It's not the cockpit of an airplane for god sakes...it's a head coaching position...put ONE GUY IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING!

Don't think I don't see Zorn not having a clue as to what happens with the defense...effing ridiculous!
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Impact Rookie
 
hagams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Age: 35
Posts: 902
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Looks like the good ol' boy system to me. And I think Joe will leave on his own after this season, if we are feed up with this crap, imagine how he must feel.
__________________
We are always superbowl contenders in March!!! HTTR!!!!!!!!
hagams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Impact Rookie
 
PennSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 752
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Well, the root of the problem is a dysfunctional franchise. A sign of problems. Hiring a coaching staff before you hire your head coach.
__________________
DC Pro Sports Report - Home of the Internet's Largest NFL Mock Draft Database. Best Redskins Redskins discussion, theWarpath.net

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
Well, the root of the problem is a dysfunctional franchise. A sign of problems. Hiring a coaching staff before you hire your head coach.

They hired Jim Zorn as an offensive coordinator prior to naming a head coach. Tell me that isn't the dumbest thing you've ever heard. Many here tried to defend the move.

I'm ok w/ having the newly hired coach having the option of keeping a coordinator. It should be the new coach's decision though. Generally, a new coach wants to bring in his guys. JZ has no coordinator experience and Sherman Smith didn't want to come here until being convinced otherwise.

Just like Norv Turner...Jim Zorn...i like the guy, but I never liked the hire by our FO.

Amazingly they hadn't done some DUE DILIGENCE on new coaching candidates going into JG's final year. Two of the interviews we had:

Rex Ryan
Jim Schwartz

Hmmm...VC you've got to go buddy.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,795
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Well, the Dolphins did something very similar with Sparano

But really this comes down to the inconsistency between "moving forward" and "continuity" They probably should have just chosen one path and committed to that.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
The Starter
 
DBUCHANON101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,373
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
They hired Jim Zorn as an offensive coordinator prior to naming a head coach. Tell me that isn't the dumbest thing you've ever heard. Many here tried to defend the move.

I'm ok w/ having the newly hired coach having the option of keeping a coordinator. It should be the new coach's decision though. Generally, a new coach wants to bring in his guys. JZ has no coordinator experience and Sherman Smith didn't want to come here until being convinced otherwise.

Just like Norv Turner...Jim Zorn...i like the guy, but I never liked the hire by our FO.

Amazingly they hadn't done some DUE DILIGENCE on new coaching candidates going into JG's final year. Two of the interviews we had:

Rex Ryan
Jim Schwartz

Hmmm...VC you've got to go buddy.
Jets may win the east and the Lions are on their way up.
Dont forget Josh McDaniels. who is looking like a fkn mastermind to this point. got picks for a QB that he didnt need and now he is building a solid team in Denver. At least he spreads the defenses out to run the ball while makin teams fear the pass. Switched them to a 3-4 and they are doing well thus far with the switch.
__________________
But there's booze in the blender. And soon it will render. That frozen concoction that helps me hang on.
DBUCHANON101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUCHANON101 View Post
Jets may win the east and the Lions are on their way up.
Dont forget Josh McDaniels. who is looking like a fkn mastermind to this point. got picks for a QB that he didnt need and now he is building a solid team in Denver. At least he spreads the defenses out to run the ball while makin teams fear the pass. Switched them to a 3-4 and they are doing well thus far with the switch.
Yeah, i was trying to give the other candidates some props like Ryan, Schwartz (whom i really like), and i forgot about Josh McDaniels.

Spagnola too who i'm unsold on at the moment.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
The Starter
 
Skinny Tee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Redskins Nation
Posts: 1,715
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well, the Dolphins did something very similar with Sparano

But really this comes down to the inconsistency between "moving forward" and "continuity" They probably should have just chosen one path and committed to that.
They brought in a GM though the same year as new head coach. Also the GM and head coach have a previous history working alongside each other.

Parcells and Sparano have some working history so Parcells is facilitating Sparano with any hirings.

Needless to say Cerrato hiring coaches for Zorn is way off because Cerrato has never coached before and neither had Zorn...lol. It's hard to even conceive all that going on and having faith in it...insane.
__________________
Redskinsly,
_________Skinny Tee_________
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Holmgren would be ideal as Redskins' long-awaited GM

Les Carpenter - Mike Holmgren Advises Redskins to Be Patient With Jim Zorn's Development of Jason Campbell - washingtonpost.com

D.C. Sports Bog - Holmgren on Zorn and Zorn's Bike

Maybe we can kill two bird with one stone, continuity & experience?
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,795
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
They brought in a GM though the same year as new head coach. Also the GM and head coach have a previous history working alongside each other.

Parcells and Sparano have some working history so Parcells is facilitating Sparano with any hirings.

Needless to say Cerrato hiring coaches for Zorn is way off because Cerrato has never coached before and neither had Zorn...lol. It's hard to even conceive all that going on and having faith in it...insane.
Not to digress but Sparano just has me thinking how strong that coaching unit back in 2001 was, or better said how prevalent they are today

Tony Sparano: Head Coach Dolphins
Brian Schottenheimer: OC Jets
Pete Carmichael: OC Saints
Hue Jackson: QB Coach Ravens
Greg Manusky: DC Niners
Mike Trgovac: D Line Coach Packers (just last year was DC for the Panthers)
Jimmy Raye: OC Niners

Bring back Marty!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,795
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure

Well I guess my questions would be

1. Just how good a GM is Holmgren?

2. Is he looking to come back as a GM or a Team President a la Parcells?

3. Will we bring in an experienced offensive play caller to help Zorn out?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,978
Re: Disjointed Coaching Structure



Holmgren would be my choice for GM by a wide margin. People keep saying get rid of Zorn, Id say Vinny gotta go first.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37171 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25