Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Campbell's numbers dont lie

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #1366
Registered User
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You can make any excuse you want. Campbell is just better.
No he isn't... "you like him better" and "he is better" are two different things man.
44 70 chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #1367
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 70 chip View Post
No he isn't... "you like him better" and "he is better" are two different things man.
Correct, but in this case, pointing that out is just sour grapes.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #1368
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,750
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 70 chip View Post
I don't agree, everything I've seen supports the conclusion painted by his career numbers. I arrived at the conclusion without ever looking at statistics. I knew he was hesitant the first couple times his coaches got impatient with him for hesitating to throw to an open receiver... And have seen this behavior survive two head coaches, both of whom at one time or another have talked publically about Campbell needing to "trust his eyes" and "take what they've given him"

As far as Tape goes, unless you have access to better broader views than the TV stations typically tight focus give you I don't know how you're analyzing coverages...
Unless you're an archivist for NFL films I'll politely decline to comment.

In the end this isn't even Jason's biggest problem... He has a plethora of poor fundamentals from how he sometimes carries the ball when he moves in the pocket (at his hips in one hand), his ponderous wind up, his tendency to move away from ghost rushers, and get tangled up in real ones, his lack of peripheral vision (AKA ability to feel blind side pressure) his lack of studiousness (he is poor enough at reading defenses that he's not allowed to audible) he doesn't see blitzes (his center calls out the adjustments. Campbell is one of the few Veteran Qb's in the league that doesn't direct his protection), he often looks confused to the point that he forgets and leaves his mouth guard wedged in his helmet about 10-20% of his snaps. You may call that picking nits, but I call it a tell tail of poor habits and consistency. And an inability to change those poor habbits: See: the countless times he's been coached to keep the ball at his chest with BOTH HANDS, but he still can't do it consistently every snap (he has gotten better, late this year in particular), See also: his inability to slide for how many seasons now?.

The fact that he has some problems with his mechanics, some problems with the mental side of the game, and some problems with his fundamentals wouldn't be such a big deal if he could show that he can be coached out of those problems...
Tripp is not an NFL archivist (as far as I'm concerned), but he has more knowledge than you and I. If you doubt this check the archives and see some of his game analysis.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #1369
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 70 chip View Post
I don't agree, everything I've seen supports the conclusion painted by his career numbers. I arrived at the conclusion without ever looking at statistics. I knew he was hesitant the first couple times his coaches got impatient with him for hesitating to throw to an open receiver... And have seen this behavior survive two head coaches, both of whom at one time or another have talked publically about Campbell needing to "trust his eyes" and "take what they've given him"

As far as Tape goes, unless you have access to better broader views than the TV stations typically tight focus give you I don't know how you're analyzing coverages...
Unless you're an archivist for NFL films I'll politely decline to comment.

In the end this isn't even Jason's biggest problem... He has a plethora of poor fundamentals from how he sometimes carries the ball when he moves in the pocket (at his hips in one hand), his ponderous wind up, his tendency to move away from ghost rushers, and get tangled up in real ones, his lack of peripheral vision (AKA ability to feel blind side pressure) his lack of studiousness (he is poor enough at reading defenses that he's not allowed to audible) he doesn't see blitzes (his center calls out the adjustments. Campbell is one of the few Veteran Qb's in the league that doesn't direct his protection), he often looks confused to the point that he forgets and leaves his mouth guard wedged in his helmet about 10-20% of his snaps. You may call that picking nits, but I call it a tell tail of poor habits and consistency. And an inability to change those poor habbits: See: the countless times he's been coached to keep the ball at his chest with BOTH HANDS, but he still can't do it consistently every snap (he has gotten better, late this year in particular), See also: his inability to slide for how many seasons now?.

The fact that he has some problems with his mechanics, some problems with the mental side of the game, and some problems with his fundamentals wouldn't be such a big deal if he could show that he can be coached out of those problems...
I think, in many ways, Campbell's inability to slide typifies my issues with him as a player. It's not that sliding is a particularly important skill, certainly no more important than establishing the ever-important ability to wear a mouthguard, but Campbell's weaknesses are mostly those small things.

In part, he's an extention of Zorn in that he has all the intangibles, rarely is fooled by the coverage, can make a play with his legs, etc., but I think he has game management issues and it's the quarterback minutae that I think will prevent him from reaching an elite level.

The bottom line is that it's all nitpicking, and if every player on our team did their job as well, but no better than Jason Campbell, we'd be a 9 or 10 win team every season. You might win a super bowl once every ten or fifteen years. The reason we haven't been to the playoffs but twice in the last ten seasons is because hardly anyone on this team has been as dependable as our quarterbacks. Particularly on offense, but the defense has had it's fair share of poor performers over the years as well.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #1370
Registered User
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Career numbers both have played almost the same number of games.

Code:

        Comp % TD%  Int % Yards/attempt Yards Completion QB rating
Campbell 61.2   3.4  2.3      6.6          10.8               82.3
Cutler   61.9   4.6  3.5      7.1          11.6               83.8


Last minute disclaimer: I'm not saying Cutler is the second coming of Brett Favre, but Favre had a season in which he threw 19 TD's and 24 Int's IMO anyone who calls Cutler a failure over this past season is doing it without much basis in reality.
44 70 chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #1371
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,339
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You can make any excuse you want. Campbell is just better. It's not that there isn't some very valid reasoning to suggest that a lot of Cutler's struggles this year were due to simple external factors that can improve, but you would really have to be quite biased to stretch the evidence in a way that makes Cutler a viable winner in the comparision.

26 interceptions isn't good, but the thing that really speaks volumes is the red zone INTs. Campbell threw zero red zone INTs this year, and most of his TDs came from the red zone. Cutler threw six (seven?) red zone picks. Can't excuse that, it's indicitive of a guy who doesn't see the coverage well (and never really has).
Cutler had a bad year. It's happens, even to the best guys. One year doesn't define the guy. On top of that he just didn't have any type of supporting cast and he was trying to do too much. His best wr's are the TE's. Kurt Warner had some less than average years and he came back to be a top QB. Cutler rebounded pretty well the last few weeks. I still believe Cutler holds more value around the NFL than JC does.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #1372
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 70 chip View Post
Career numbers both have played almost the same number of games.

Code:

        Comp % TD%  Int % Yards/attempt Yards Completion QB rating
Campbell 61.2   3.4  2.3      6.6          10.8               82.3
Cutler   61.9   4.6  3.5      7.1          11.6               83.8


Last minute disclaimer: I'm not saying Cutler is the second coming of Brett Favre, but Fave had a season in which he threw 19 TD's and 24 Int's IMO anyone who calls Cutler a failure over this past season is doing it without much basis in reality.
Not calling Cutler a failure over this season.

I see two very similar quarterbacks statistically, Cutler with a slight edge in most stats, definitive edge in Y/A.

Anecdotally, though, there's some sort of a discount rate that should be applied to Cutler's Denver numbers just because the talent around him definitely could carry the day. I'm not going to dictate what that should be, only that when you consider that Cutler played three seasons in Denver, you'd expect him to have a very large edge in conventional statistics. At least as large as the gap that say, Ben Roethlisberger, has on Campbell.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #1373
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Cutler had a bad year. It's happens, even to the best guys. One year doesn't define the guy. On top of that he just didn't have any type of supporting cast and he was trying to do too much. His best wr's are the TE's. Kurt Warner had some less than average years and he came back to be a top QB. Cutler rebounded pretty well the last few weeks. I still believe Cutler holds more value around the NFL than JC does.
Perhaps he does. I think the evidence is clear that Campbell is better, but those who mis-valued Cutler last year are certainly going to be slow to admit the mistake. I mean, just look around here.

Cutler should rebound next season and get back to the top half of quarterbacks in the league, which is where Campbell is right now. I'm sure there's hope that Cutler will eventually regain his probowl form in Chicago, possibly legitimate hope, but I'm not sure why that would be a better bet than Campbell blossoming under Shanahan. Seems like a lot of hoping on both ends.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #1374
Registered User
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think, in many ways, Campbell's inability to slide typifies my issues with him as a player. It's not that sliding is a particularly important skill
I don't think we're disagreeing on a whole lot here. Personally I want the Skins to keep looking for a franchise QB, if they let Campbell compete for the starting job for the next year or two while they do it, so be it...
44 70 chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #1375
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 70 chip View Post
I don't think we're disagreeing on a whole lot here. Personally I want the Skins to keep looking for a franchise QB, if they let Campbell compete for the starting job for the next year or two while they do it, so be it...
Yeah, I think our opinions differ a lot more on Cutler than on Campbell.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #1376
Registered User
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Perhaps he does. I think the evidence is clear that Campbell is better, but those who mis-valued Cutler last year are certainly going to be slow to admit the mistake. I mean, just look around here.

Cutler should rebound next season and get back to the top half of quarterbacks in the league, which is where Campbell is right now. I'm sure there's hope that Cutler will eventually regain his probowl form in Chicago, possibly legitimate hope, but I'm not sure why that would be a better bet than Campbell blossoming under Shanahan. Seems like a lot of hoping on both ends.
I disagree, Cutler's passing ability has been appearent IMO even while he was making poor decisions. Jason Campbell's short coming are the same as when he had protection last season and the one before... Campbell has overthrown far too many open receivers to think he's just going through growing pains... When a guy has his good completion % but so few long TD's a very low number of TD passes in general, and such low yard per completion averages... It says he's not an effective down field passer... His Int rate would be stellar if it wasn't for the fact that is it clearly a product of overly conservative decision making.

This conservative decision making is appearent in the stat someone brought up about Campbell being 2 and 16 in games where he's tied or behind by a TD with six minutes left... He's thrown 2 TD's and 4 Int's in those 18 games... When he HAS to make bigger throws he's not mediocre... he's terrible...

Honestly I wish it wasn't the case, he's clearly a likable, tough and personable guy.
44 70 chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #1377
Registered User
 
44 70 chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 60
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Yeah, I think our opinions differ a lot more on Cutler than on Campbell.
I don't know, I think Cutler is a decent QB and I think Campbell is slightly less so... I agree Campbell would be better with improved line play... but I think he would still have a hard time not throwing jump balls to stationary WR's and overthrowing open deep routs... Because this IMO is largely due to his windup on longer throws.
44 70 chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #1378
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,512
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

best way to judge, gtripp do you think the redskins could get what the bears got in a trade? i highly doubt it
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1379
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 70 chip View Post
I don't know, I think Cutler is a decent QB and I think Campbell is slightly less so... I agree Campbell would be better with improved line play... but I think he would still have a hard time not throwing jump balls to stationary WR's and overthrowing open deep routs... Because this IMO is largely due to his windup on longer throws.
Not seeing much of a windup at all. :confused-



__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #1380
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You can make any excuse you want. Campbell is just better. It's not that there isn't some very valid reasoning to suggest that a lot of Cutler's struggles this year were due to simple external factors that can improve, but you would really have to be quite biased to stretch the evidence in a way that makes Cutler a viable winner in the comparision.

26 interceptions isn't good, but the thing that really speaks volumes is the red zone INTs. Campbell threw zero red zone INTs this year, and most of his TDs came from the red zone. Cutler threw six (seven?) red zone picks. Can't excuse that, it's indicitive of a guy who doesn't see the coverage well (and never really has).


Good article:
Jay Cutler + Red Zone = Disaster
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35433 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25