Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Campbell's numbers dont lie

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #1366
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,813
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I need to go back and watch the game (no, I'm not a masochist) and see why exactly Collins was able to step right in and make two big throws. What did he have that Campbell didn't?
It is what it is. He's always going to be a small ball QB. He's never going to be someone that forces the issue, or takes a lot of chances. The really good qb's are risk takers, JC will never be a risk taker. Interesting stat for all of you stat nerds...Jaws said 70% of JC's passes travel LESS THAN 10 yards. And I think he said 20% are BEHIND the line of scrimmage. Now how are we ever going to beat Philly, NY and Dallas throwing 5 yard passes?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #1367
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,580
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

i think he said 24% of JCs passes are behind the line of scrimmage and 79% dont travel past 10 yds in the air.

JC's pass yds really improved last night due to a couple 2 yd passes that turned into 20+ yd pass plays (rock had a 50 yd, mason and ganther had a 20+).

another thing jaws said that caught my attention was on that sack JC took at the end of the 1st quarter or beginning of the second quarter when a giants LB came untouched right up the middle. jaws said JC had no time at all but he also said JC has to see that coming right up the middle.

1st play for TC, he reviews the giants D, adjusts the rb to his right side for protection, then we got that illegal snap call. JC plays tough but i never see him scanning the D, calling things out and making any adjustments. TC's first play he does it. eli was calling out our D and potential blitzers all game. rabach used to do that pretty well 3 years ago before (according to reports beginning of last year) zorn gave that duty of calling blocking assignments to JC and not rabach. now i dont even know if we cal out blockers or adjust our blocking, if JC doesnt like what he sees he calls a timeout.
__________________
If anyone has tickets they cannot sell or use, please send me a PM if you would be willing to give them to me. Thank you.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #1368
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,520
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i think he said 24% of JCs passes are behind the line of scrimmage and 79% dont travel past 10 yds in the air.

JC's pass yds really improved last night due to a couple 2 yd passes that turned into 20+ yd pass plays (rock had a 50 yd, mason and ganther had a 20+).

another thing jaws said that caught my attention was on that sack JC took at the end of the 1st quarter or beginning of the second quarter when a giants LB came untouched right up the middle. jaws said JC had no time at all but he also said JC has to see that coming right up the middle.

1st play for TC, he reviews the giants D, adjusts the rb to his right side for protection, then we got that illegal snap call. JC plays tough but i never see him scanning the D, calling things out and making any adjustments. TC's first play he does it. eli was calling out our D and potential blitzers all game. rabach used to do that pretty well 3 years ago before (according to reports beginning of last year) zorn gave that duty of calling blocking assignments to JC and not rabach. now i dont even know if we cal out blockers or adjust our blocking, if JC doesnt like what he sees he calls a timeout.
I thought he was referring to Ganther who needed to see that and pick up the free man.

JC makes adjustments, not sure why people think he doesn't or don't see them.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #1369
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

FINAL stats/assessment:

Cutler:
TOTAL: 336/555 (60.5%), 3,666 yds, 27 TD,
26 INT, 76.8 rating, 173 rush yds, 1 rush TD, 35 sacks, 1 fumble lost

Sanchez:
TOTAL: 196/364 (53.8%), 2,444 yds, 12 TD, 20 INT, 63.0 rating, 106 rush yds, 0 rush TD, 26 sacks, 3 fumbles lost

Campbell:
TOTAL: 327/507 (64.5%), 3,618 yds, 20 TD, 15 INT, 86.4 rating, 236 rush yds, 1 rush TD, 43 sacks, 3 fumbles lost


Ranks:
Comp. % = Campbell (64.5%), Cutler (60.5%), Sanchez (53.8%)
Yds =Cutler (3,666), Campbell (3,618), Sanchez (2,444)
TDs = Cutler (27), Campbell (20), Sanchez (12)
INTs (fewest) = Campbell (15), Sanchez (20), Cutler (26)
QB rating = Campbell (87.0), Cutler (71.1), Sanchez (62.3)
Rush yds = Campbell (215), Cutler (158), Sanchez(104)
Rush TDs = Campbell/Cutler (1), Sanchez (0)
Sacks (fewest) = Sanchez (26), Cutler (35), Campbell (43)
Fumbles lost (fewest) - Cutler (1), Campbell/Sanchez (3)


JC has proven to be the most accurate and efficient of the 3, the least-turnover prone, and despite having the worst offensive line, weakest running game and most organizational chaos...he has done the best of the three QBs. Cutler came on strong in the final two games, including an uncharacteristic 4 TD/0 INT game for him in Week 17 against the Lions, but threw at least one INT in 12 of the 16 games, including 7 multiple-INT games with highs of 5 and 4 INTs in each of a couple of his worst games. In comparison, Campbell had only three multiple-INT games with his worst being 3 picks in a single game that the Redskins won despite of his off-day (Tampa Bay). The Bears were 0-7 when Cutler threw more than one INT.

Sanchez' stats for the season are abbreviated because of his late-season benching, but ignoring that, his stats are ugly. He completed barely 50% of his passes and had almost double the number of INTs as TDs. This was all with the one of the top defenses in the NFL and the #1 rushing game in the league. When the Jets had to rely on Sanchez' arm, he failed despite having a team around him that would have allowed Campbell to be a Pro-Bowler.

Campbell showed some real leadership and proved himself to be one of the toughest QBs in the league in my opinion. He was sacked 43 times, but I'd like to see a stat on how many times he was hit hard when he was able to get rid of the ball. He was completely abused and literally beaten into the ground with a revolving door of offensive linemen and 5 different RBs, plus the loss of his favorite target in Chris Cooley. He physically survived despite a black eye and other aches/pains, but I also believe and hope that his job security survived. He Jason played very well this season in a bad situation and was one of the few bright spots on offense (along with Fred Davis, Thomas, Kelly emerging...Dockery surviving the season, possibly the discovery of Quinton Ganther's talent).

Thankfully, Vinny Ceratto is gone and Bruce Allen won't let this annual headline happen again in 2010:
Redskins Ignore Offensive Line in Draft -- NFL FanHouse

In my opinion, only Derrick Dockery and Levi Jones earned a return, possibly Mike Williams as a backup only. Casey Rabach managed to last most of the season, but continued to cost the team with his inability to snap in the shotgun formation and stupid penalties in the red zone. Edwin Williams or a new Center should be starting next season. Heyer has proven he's not starter material.

Portis may be back but we better not rely on him to be the sole back. We need to either add another supplementary back or trust Ganther to be part of a RB tandem to keep Portis healthier and maximize his remaining talent, which he does have when healthy...but that's the problem.

With an offensive line, consistency at RB and a capable HC (like Shanahan), I believe Jason Campbell will lead this team to a lot of success in the future. He has already proven that he was the best choice of the 3 QBs in question for the team prior to the season.

I can only be hopeful and almost excited to have an upcoming year led not by a moron in Cerrato and inexperience of Zorn, but by proven winners like Bruce Allen and probably Mike Shanahan. If they have their offseason priorities straight and accomplish them, Jason Campbell and the Redskins will be back on the road to greatness, as us long-time fans were used to and miss.

Thanks for reading and debating my tracking of these QBs throughout the season, even if you disagreed with me.

The future of the Redskins can ONLY get better! HTTR.

__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #1370
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,881
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Thanks for the stats Buster.

I hope JC comes back, at least while we groom a new qb. Sanchez does get a plus for his team getting into the playoffs, but his play was not the difference in making that happen.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #1371
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Fellas, well Jason Campbell came through and won me m $100 for throwing 20 touchdowns. He is still sorry as shit. That's my opinion but I know some of you feel like he can be a winner. I don't.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #1372
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Thanks for the stats Buster.

I hope JC comes back, at least while we groom a new qb. Sanchez does get a plus for his team getting into the playoffs, but his play was not the difference in making that happen.
Thank you.

I just hope we do not blow our #5 pick on Bradford. We need the best OT in the draft with that pick, I won't settle for anyone else. If we do not build up the line to be the best it can possibly be, which means using the Round 1 pick on the line, any QB we put in there will be beaten and battered like JC was this year. Bradford won't survive physically like Campbell did. He seems fragile and dislocates his shoulders from sneezing. He may not be able to stay healthy with any team in the NFL, but if he is behind a Redskins line that is not repaired, his career will be short and unsuccessful. I have faith that Allen will not screw our draft up like Cerrato. Vinny made some great picks, Fred Davis, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Chris Horton and others are the most recent, but his annual ignoring of the O-line all nut nullifies their contributions to the team and that's just unacceptable.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #1373
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

I think a team can win with JC, but everything else has to be perfect for him to succeed. He can't win you the game on his arm. But he can be a good game manager when everything is going well around him.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #1374
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Fellas, well Jason Campbell came through and won me m $100 for throwing 20 touchdowns. He is still sorry as shit. That's my opinion but I know some of you feel like he can be a winner. I don't.
Fine analysis.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #1375
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I think a team can win with JC, but everything else has to be perfect for him to succeed. He can't win you the game on his arm. But he can be a good game manager when everything is going well around him.
Like Mark Rypien? He never really had success anywhere else, but with a core of good WRs and an offensive line, the Redskins were one of the most explosive offenses in the history of the game.

We have plenty of targets for Campbell. We need the protection and I believe the offense can start winning games rather than relying on the defense to win every game, which is tough when they're on the field far longer than they should be.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #1376
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

agree on every point. Still not sold that JC is a franchise QB. Jim Zorn didn't think so.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #1377
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,881
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Thank you.

I just hope we do not blow our #5 pick on Bradford. We need the best OT in the draft with that pick, I won't settle for anyone else. If we do not build up the line to be the best it can possibly be, which means using the Round 1 pick on the line, any QB we put in there will be beaten and battered like JC was this year. Bradford won't survive physically like Campbell did. He seems fragile and dislocates his shoulders from sneezing. He may not be able to stay healthy with any team in the NFL, but if he is behind a Redskins line that is not repaired, his career will be short and unsuccessful. I have faith that Allen will not screw our draft up like Cerrato. Vinny made some great picks, Fred Davis, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Chris Horton and others are the most recent, but his annual ignoring of the O-line all nut nullifies their contributions to the team and that's just unacceptable.
100% agree, VC had an inexplicable avoidance system in place for drafting OL, and that was one of a few tragic flaws. I really want to see a solid plan for the line, draft -FA- combination, just so we know that it is being addressed competently. That is where the off season discussion needs to be focused.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #1378
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
agree on every point. Still not sold that JC is a franchise QB. Jim Zorn didn't think so.
Zorn had a lot of interesting thoughts.


We do not need a better QB than JC though. The team has a lot of weapons on offense: Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell at WR. Cooley and Davis are the best TE tandem in the NFL. RB is a little unclear but easily repairable with a single draft pick later in the draft or a FA pickup to supplement what we have. Trading Betts looks like a great option to upgrade through the draft, getting an extra 4th-round pick for him to use on the line could let us use a 2nd or 4th on a RB if we use the 1st on a OT. We could get a L. McCoy-type back to supplement Portis, who is beginning to look like Westbrook at this point of his career.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #1379
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,813
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Zorn had a lot of interesting thoughts.


We do not need a better QB than JC though. The team has a lot of weapons on offense: Moss, Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell at WR. Cooley and Davis are the best TE tandem in the NFL. RB is a little unclear but easily repairable with a single draft pick later in the draft or a FA pickup to supplement what we have. Trading Betts looks like a great option to upgrade through the draft, getting an extra 4th-round pick for him to use on the line could let us use a 2nd or 4th on a RB if we use the 1st on a OT. We could get a L. McCoy-type back to supplement Portis, who is beginning to look like Westbrook at this point of his career.
Buster...are you Jason Campbell's dad?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #1380
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,959
Re: Campbell's numbers dont lie

Buster, thanks for your diligence in keeping this up week to week. Campbell did what many said he couldn't do-improve in virtually every aspect of his game-and did so in the most trying of circumstances.

I'd be interested to see what he would do with Shanahan and a rebuilt offensive line. The talent is there at the WR and TE positions, we need the upgrade the line and the running game regardless of the QB.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32876 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25