Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,908
Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

D.C. Sports Bog - George Michael on Why Fans Hate Snyderrato

Some really interesting insights into Snyder, Cerrato, Grilliams, etc. Can't wait until they post the podcast. Among the highlights:

"You all want to dump it on Dan Snyder," Michael said. "I understand that. I understand that. I don't think Dan does. I don't think he understands why people hate him so. The truth is--and I've got to give you full disclosure, everybody knows that I am friends with Dan Snyder, not in the sense that I'm in the tank for him, but he is a friend, I admit that. But Dan doesn't even understand what he does wrong. He doesn't even understand the things he does wrong. If the fans knew how bad he wants to win, they would go my God, he wants to win as much as I do."

"Let me tell you the truth: Dan does make I think most of those big-type decisions," Michael said. "He says 'Let's get this guy, let's get that guy.' And the guy that takes the heat for it--and it's why I think he's never gotten fired--is Vinny Cerrato. Now, Cerrato's painted as a bozo, but the truth is, what did Vinny Cerrato do for the team? Look at Chris Horton. That's the kind of guy he gets." (maybe not the best timing since Horton got benched today!)

"I will tell you this, and folks, please write this down--Dan Snyder does not want to fire Jim Zorn," Michael said. "Believe me, on my kid's life, he doesn't want to fire Zorn. Let me tell you, he does not want to fire Jim Zorn....
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Great stuff.

I'm going to post some more here because I want to make some comments based on my own personal experiences

Quote:
"You all want to dump it on Dan Snyder," Michael said. "I understand that. I understand that. I don't think Dan does. I don't think he understands why people hate him so. The truth is--and I've got to give you full disclosure, everybody knows that I am friends with Dan Snyder, not in the sense that I'm in the tank for him, but he is a friend, I admit that. But Dan doesn't even understand what he does wrong. He doesn't even understand the things he does wrong. If the fans knew how bad he wants to win, they would go my God, he wants to win as much as I do."
I'm not sure how much Snyder cares

Quote:
So, why, then, have things gone so badly from a PR standpoint?

"It's Dan's fault...and that's a shame," said Michael, who then described the "absolute chaos" in Ashburn when Snyder took over the team.

"I mean, Norv hated Charley so bad," he went on. "So now Dan Snyder inherits it. People from day 1 hated Dan Snyder because he was 35 years old, bought the team for $850 million, and his neighbors told the Washington Post, he's a jerk. And that is when it started.

"And then down in Atlanta when he got the team, he didn't know how to handle the media, he didn't have someone with him who could help him handle the media and talk. And I remember vividly he whisking himself out of the Westin hotel and Wally Bruckner...along with 25 other people trying to keep up with him,.Wally ran into a door and knocked those $200,000 doors off their hinges in the Westin hotel....People did not like Dan from the get go, and the truth is, I don't think people know him. And then he'll do things like LaVar said, he would go into the locker room and glare. What Dan wants is accountability. He wants accountability.

"He never went into the locker room and glared when Joe Gibbs was the coach. That did not happen with Joe Gibbs. Because Gibbs went before the public after that loss to the Buffalo Bills and said, 'I lost this game.' Now coach, that's a load of horse manure. He did not lose the game. It sticks with me every day of my life, but that's the kind of man Joe Gibbs was. Another coach was yelling in his ear, 'Call another timeout, call another timeout.' He called the second timeout....To take the heat, to take the heat off of the guys who screwed up on the field, to take the heat off the safety...Gibbs goes before the public and says, 'I Lost This Game.' "
I can personally vouch for that Norv Casserly hatred. Saw it first hand. I miss Gibbs. I think I said that about some other coach calling for timeout but that was quickly dismissed here

Quote:
"Let me tell you the truth: Dan does make I think most of those big-type decisions," Michael said. "He says 'Let's get this guy, let's get that guy.' And the guy that takes the heat for it--and it's why I think he's never gotten fired--is Vinny Cerrato. Now, Cerrato's painted as a bozo, but the truth is, what did Vinny Cerrato do for the team? Look at Chris Horton. That's the kind of guy he gets."

So Wise asked Michael if he thinks Cerrato is a capable talent evaluator.

"Oh, there's no ifs buts or ands," Michael said. "I mean, I know that for a fact, I know that from other people around the league. Here's the problem Mike--and God, I can't believe I'm telling all this truth--Vinny Cerrato is a ZERO when it comes to public relations and building relationships with people in the world. I'm sorry. My Good God. He doesn't ask why don't people like me, but you've got to go out and you've got to do things....I feel bad that Cerrato has not gone out and tried to build these relationships."
Wilbon has said in the past that if more decisions had been up to Cerrato (Duckett trade for one) we would be in better shape. I'm not sure I agree entirely. I have said here before that Cerrato has zero relations around the league.

http://www.thewarpath.net/517389-post47.html (I guess no one likes VC.)

Plus, we got Horton because of scouting, more importantly we got him because former Redskins coach DeWayne Walker recommended the scout go check him out.

My knowledge is that Snyder very rarely (when you consider free agents, trades, draft picks) is the initiator in determining to whether to go after certain players. He absolutely gives the final go-ahead.

Quote:
Michael presumably has a bead on Jim Zorn's future, and he agreed when Wise said the Skins need to win two out of the next three and be respectable in all of them. Michael then managed to compare Zorn to Lindsay Czarniak (as an undiscovered talent), and to insist that Snyder wants to stick with him.

"I will tell you this, and folks, please write this down--Dan Snyder does not want to fire Jim Zorn," Michael said. "Believe me, on my kid's life, he doesn't want to fire Zorn. Let me tell you, he does not want to fire Jim Zorn....

"You have to take gambles, and that's what they did with Zorn," he continued. "Dan Snyder put his name, his stamp, his reputation on Jim Zorn. If Jim doesn't deliver what Dan Snyder thinks is a good deal, then there's no telling when it could end. But I must tell you this, after you lose to the Detroit Lions--and I do personally love this guy Jim Zorn, he's a great guy--you cannot go before the public and say we're making improvements. Dear God, if you're making improvement and losing to the 0-19 Lions, my ass is grass and you're the lawnmower. We're in trouble, baby."
Yeah Snyder has said before he doesn't want to fire Zorn, but he might just have to. That lawnmower line was funny

Quote:
More highlights, and again, please listen to it all here. It was awesome.

On the Marty experiment: "Here's the deal guys, he should never have hired Marty Schottenheimer....I said to [Snyder's relatives], I said folks, within six months you will regret the decision to have hired Marty Schottenheimer. The first day of training camp, Fred Drasner, who owned the team, turned to me and said, 'We oughta fire this son of a bitch today.' You don't know what Marty Schottenheimer is, you don't know what he is until you live with him, until you work with him."
Drasner was the worst. He wanted to trade and fire everyone instantly. Thank goodness he's no longer affiliated with the team
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You

Last edited by SmootSmack; 10-01-2009 at 02:13 PM.
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Pay close attention to this one: He doesn't want to fire Jim Zorn ...
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Wow. Get em George Michael. I don't know if I can handle any more of this negative stuff. My god. Not that much of it isn't deserved, but I can't get a sports radio station on the way home who's not talking about how AH doesn't play enough plays or that our FO sucks.

Please Skins, win this game so we don't have to hear anymore negativity. JC.

I'm sure alot of what GM sais is true. I don't buy some of it. Vinny has had some good blunders too in the personel area.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
The Starter
 
scowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: KY
Age: 45
Posts: 1,504
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Pay close attention to this one: He doesn't want to fire Jim Zorn ...
Yes, but he may have to. I think Jim Zorn is great, but he needs to figure out what plays will work and what plays won't. Roll Campbell out on 4 and 1 at the goal line and give him to option to throw it or run it.

This team needs to quit looking at their bonus money and play like they did in College when they didn't get paid. Doughty was playing his butt off last week from what I saw and he doesn't get paid much at all. We need more guys who are hungry like him.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,311
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

6 draft picks and all we get is horton, Great draft vinny...
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Hmm, interesting. Here all along I've been shouting Marty's name from the top of a tree.

I'll say this. When Marty was canned in KC players all had nothing but nice things to say about him and even went so far as to say he should not have been let go.

Marty works for the Skins and becomes a complete ass forcing several players to go complain about his hard nose approach to football.

Then he gets hired by San Diego and the team has several winning seasons. One being a 14-2 season. When fired no one said anything bad about him except the owner. and the thing mentioned was Marty was told his son Kurt was not going to be named the DC after HR Puff and Stuff went to Dallas. Marty purchased plane tickets for his son Kurt to fly to San Diego and the owner got pissed that Marty was not listening to him and fired him.

I think it's even funnier that if he was a complete ass we would be hearing something from his two kids about how it was growing up in the Shottenheimer house hold. Yet nothing.

I think Marty is good at evaluating talent and if he is looking for a job in the front office then he might not be a bad GM especially to a team who's owner is willing to step back and designate authority.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 531
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Hmm, interesting. Here all along I've been shouting Marty's name from the top of a tree.

I'll say this. When Marty was canned in KC players all had nothing but nice things to say about him and even went so far as to say he should not have been let go.

Marty works for the Skins and becomes a complete ass forcing several players to go complain about his hard nose approach to football.

Then he gets hired by San Diego and the team has several winning seasons. One being a 14-2 season. When fired no one said anything bad about him except the owner. and the thing mentioned was Marty was told his son Kurt was not going to be named the DC after HR Puff and Stuff went to Dallas. Marty purchased plane tickets for his son Kurt to fly to San Diego and the owner got pissed that Marty was not listening to him and fired him.

I think it's even funnier that if he was a complete ass we would be hearing something from his two kids about how it was growing up in the Shottenheimer house hold. Yet nothing.

I think Marty is good at evaluating talent and if he is looking for a job in the front office then he might not be a bad GM especially to a team who's owner is willing to step back and designate authority.

From the way Michael describes it, Marty was fired and Williams was never hired because they are not likable people.

Wow.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
PennSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 752
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

I think the interview of Snyder's friend shed some light on what many of us speculated.

He is the GM and does make the decisions on who come sand who goes. He is clueless there is a problem, even if he recognizes our franchise is not winning. I guess I cannot really understand that. If you are not winning, why would you not ask yourself what you could do different.
__________________
DC Pro Sports Report - Home of the Internet's Largest NFL Mock Draft Database. Best Redskins Redskins discussion, theWarpath.net

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 531
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Once again, the defense of Snyder begins with "but he really wants to win!!"

Is there a less relevant point?
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
Impact Rookie
 
PennSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 752
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Once again, the defense of Snyder begins with "but he really wants to win!!"

Is there a less relevant point?


I am sure Al Davis wants to win too.
__________________
DC Pro Sports Report - Home of the Internet's Largest NFL Mock Draft Database. Best Redskins Redskins discussion, theWarpath.net

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Camp Scrub
 
redskinfan401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 41
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
From the way Michael describes it, Marty was fired and Williams was never hired because they are not likable people.

Wow.
That's what he says about Marty, but that's not what he's saying about Williams. Williams and Snyder just didn't get along. That doesn't mean either of them aren't likeable people. Have you ever had friends where you like hanging with either of them, but they can't stand each other? That kind of seems like Williams/Snyder relationship to me.
redskinfan401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
The Starter
 
MonkFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 37
Posts: 1,840
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
I think the interview of Snyder's friend shed some light on what many of us speculated.

He is the GM and does make the decisions on who come sand who goes. He is clueless there is a problem, even if he recognizes our franchise is not winning. I guess I cannot really understand that. If you are not winning, why would you not ask yourself what you could do different.
He also recognized that this team needed a change at QB, doesn't look like he was that far off does it ? I know that there are many threads about JC, just making a point.
__________________
Catch me on YouTube !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,584
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Marty was not fired because he's not likeable. And that's not what Michael said. He was fired because Snyder didn't want Schottenheimer to be both GM and coach and because certain players wanted Schottenheimer gone.

I really don't know what happened behind closed doors with Williams
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 594
Re: Michael peels back the curtain at Redskins Park in interview with Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Marty was not fired because he's not likeable. And that's not what Michael said. He was fired because Snyder didn't want Schottenheimer to be both GM and coach and because certain players wanted Schottenheimer gone.

I really don't know what happened behind closed doors with Williams
Maybe so, but that's not what Michael said either.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34387 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25