Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Where are Kelly & Thomas?

I remember at the beginning of the season. All the football experts and analysts were saying a key to the Redskins season was one of the 2nd round pick receivers stepping up. At first the front runner was Thomas. The reports were that he worked with JC through out the off season to get better and more prepared for the season. Ironically, Kelly took over the second WR spot after hardly playing last year. Saying that, Kelly still hasn't showed all this ball snatching potential he was touted for in the off season. In preseason Marko really shined. Some say it was just preseason and that it doesn't translate to the regular season. But it seems that Kelly and Thomas have been no existent. I think that the coaching staff has really lost confidence in them. As well as JC.

On the pass that was intended for Kelly that ended up being a INT. I didn't see proper positioning and efffort in him going up for the ball. He went for it at an awkward angle and allowed a smaller DB force him to the sidelines before the play on the ball. This guy is 6'3 and didn't extend properly for a jump ball effort. That INT was on JC. But when you look at taller receivers like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss. They go up and snatch the ball from smaller DBs. My thoughts were that was the reason we drafted him. I have also heard that he is not getting separation from the defenders.

Is it premature to think that Mitchell should be bumped up on the depth chart since he has a nack for catching touchdowns and also has more speed for separation?

We wonder why our offense is looking the same as it has last year. Most of the blame has been on JC. But shouldn't the 2nd year WRs be held accountable also? They have been no existent. So basically my whole point is that we are back to where we were before we drafted them. Moss Cooley and ARE as our options!! On that note Fred Davis has been non-existent also. So where do you think we should go from here. Please chime in...
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Last edited by dmvskinzfan08; 10-05-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: grammar police
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,456
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

This is the same thing I've been posting about. Don't forget Davis. I've been saying bench either Thomas or Kelly and start Marko Mitchell.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

MARKO MITCHELL is the answer please start him!!
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
Re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
We wonder why our offense is looking the same as it has last year. Most of the blame has been on JC. But shouldn't the 2nd year WRs be held accountable also? They have been no existent. So basically my whole point is that we are back to where we were before we drafted them. Moss Cooley and ARE as our options!! On that note Fred Davis has been non-existent also. So where do you think we should go from here. Please chime in...
Oh I didn't forget him either.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company

Last edited by dmvskinzfan08; 10-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
I thought we'd see Thomas more as PR/KR but, Mitchell has to be given a shot eventually. Kelly is coming along. This is his rookie campaign unlike Thomas.
Yeah I think Thomas should be used more on returns because we havne't really been making any noise in that part of the game. It is his rookie campaign so to speak but he did play last year. Not a lot but he did play. But basic thigns liek going up for a ball or swatting it away from a defender shoudl be skills he already possesses as a receiver. pretty basic. he is like 6'3-6'4. Another thing is he is kinda slow getting out of breaks and doesn't create separation. You can't teach speed. He is more of a possession receiver.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

I've read a number of analyses that suggest that Davis is actually doing serious work as a blocker so he's at least contributing.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

For the life of me I can't figure out who's fault it is. It's easy to say it's Kelly, Thomas, and Davis. It could be JC, coaching, or the FO. Damn, i don't know. What I do know is that our 2nd rounders from last year haven't pruduced squat.

Conversely, the NY Giants young WR's seem to be just doing fine. There are alot of reasons for that but just making a comparison.

SI.com Steve Smith (24), Mario Manningham (23) and Hakeem Nicks (20) -- who have combined for an average of 197 yards and two touchdown catches a game ...

Read more: Jerry Reese, Sean Payton, Josh McDaniels at helm of quick starts* - Peter King - SI.com
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I've read a number of analyses that suggest that Davis is actually doing serious work as a blocker so he's at least contributing.
True. He is allowing Cooley to go out more. Good point!! We will give him a pass..lol
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,677
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

The entire Offense sucks. The Skins are 27th in the League in points scored, 2 points ahead of the Bucs and only 7 points ahead of the friggin Browns. Do we look at those teams and think they'd be Offensive juggernauts if only one of their wide receivers would step up? We have bad coaching, a bad O line, a QB who probably won't be starting for anyone next year (just like when Brunell left), a single RB who is worn down, a pretty good receiver in Moss and one of the better Tight Ends in the league.

AND the Skins have only played 1 legit Defense. What the hell are they going to look like when they stop playing the other contenders for worst team in the league?

Blame Kelly, DT and Davis all you want, but there aren't many (if any) WRs that would excel on this team. If DeSean Jackson played for the Skins, he would be crap. And if Kelly played for the Eagles, he would be much better than he is here. The O blows, bottom line.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Blame Kelly, DT and Davis all you want, but there aren't many (if any) WRs that would excel on this team. If DeSean Jackson played for the Skins, he would be crap. And if Kelly played for the Eagles, he would be much better than he is here. The O blows, bottom line.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,697
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post
I've read a number of analyses that suggest that Davis is actually doing serious work as a blocker so he's at least contributing.
From what I've seen this year there is no reason for Yoder to ever be on the field when Davis can be there instead (and I'm not just saying that because of Yoder's missed block yesterday). Davis is an effective blocker and can't emerge as a threat in the passing game if he's sitting on the sidelines. I was really questioning the decision to draft him but I think he may actually be the closest to making a significant impact.

Devin Thomas should be returning kicks, and I see him getting open but he's often the 4th (at best) option. Campbell just doesn't have the time to check off that many receivers. Until Moss or ARE is off this roster, it appears that Thomas' touches will most come somewhat unconventionally for a receiver (returns, reverses)

For all his height, Kelly really struggles with those fade or lob patterns. They should be throwing more passes over the middle to him. Catch, turn, and run.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

After all of the recievers that have come through Washington in the past few years and done absolutely nothing I refuse to believe that all the blame should be pinned on the younger WR's. There is something else going on, I am not quite sure what it is. I would put money on Marko failing in the number 2 spot as well.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Impact Rookie
 
dmvskinzfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 968
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
From what I've seen this year there is no reason for Yoder to ever be on the field when Davis can be there instead (and I'm not just saying that because of Yoder's missed block yesterday). Davis is an effective blocker and can't emerge as a threat in the passing game if he's sitting on the sidelines. I was really questioning the decision to draft him but I think he may actually be the closest to making a significant impact.

Devin Thomas should be returning kicks, and I see him getting open but he's often the 4th (at best) option. Campbell just doesn't have the time to check off that many receivers. Until Moss or ARE is off this roster, it appears that Thomas' touches will most come somewhat unconventionally for a receiver (returns, reverses)

For all his height, Kelly really struggles with those fade or lob patterns. They should be throwing more passes over the middle to him. Catch, turn, and run.
I agree we should use Kelly on those type of patterns as more of a possession receiver. This was how he was mostly used in preseason. Go to the first down marker and psot in front of a smaller receiver than run. On pass that was intercepted yesterday Kelly didn't have the speed and was forced to the sidelines. He does not use his frame well in that respect. On routes were speed is a factor in creating separation or deep routes. I think Mitchell is the man for that job.
__________________
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Special Teams
 
Counter-Tre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Venice Beach, CA
Age: 42
Posts: 305
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
This is the same thing I've been posting about. Don't forget Davis. I've been saying bench either Thomas or Kelly and start Marko Mitchell.
Davis, I just don't understand wasting on him.
Counter-Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,714
re: Where are Kelly & Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
The entire Offense sucks. The Skins are 27th in the League in points scored, 2 points ahead of the Bucs and only 7 points ahead of the friggin Browns. Do we look at those teams and think they'd be Offensive juggernauts if only one of their wide receivers would step up? We have bad coaching, a bad O line, a QB who probably won't be starting for anyone next year (just like when Brunell left), a single RB who is worn down, a pretty good receiver in Moss and one of the better Tight Ends in the league.

AND the Skins have only played 1 legit Defense. What the hell are they going to look like when they stop playing the other contenders for worst team in the league?

Blame Kelly, DT and Davis all you want, but there aren't many (if any) WRs that would excel on this team. If DeSean Jackson played for the Skins, he would be crap. And if Kelly played for the Eagles, he would be much better than he is here. The O blows, bottom line.

Its tough to argue any of these points. The offense sucks period. Its not just JC, recievers, line, etc....its everybody. In my opinion the head idiot Zorn should get much of the blame along with the rest of the offensive staff, players should shoulder the rest and dont forget about the biggest loser in the organization, Vinny/Danny Boy who organize this roster and then trap the franchise with horrible contracts. To be shut out the first two halfs of the last couple games, against the worst teams in the league is absolute crap. NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31414 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25