Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

From Redskins Insider:

Redskins Insider - Your daily source for news and commentary on the Washington Redskins, by Jason Reid

Quote:
Blache Hands Media Duties over to Gray
A week after throwing himself "under the bus" for the Redskins' poor performance defensively, defensive coordinator Greg Blache has informed team officials he no longer will speak with the media this season, a team spokesman said today...

...Gray will handle Blache's previous media duties, a Redskins spokesman said, but Gray did not confirm that while speaking with reporters. "Ah, who knows?" Gray said. "We'll see."

NFL rules mandate that teams make coordinators available to the media and the Redskins said they received permission from the league to have Gray, who has served as a coordinator in his career, take over for Blache although Gray currently is not a coordinator.
Unless Grey is being promoted to defensive coordinator very soon, the Skins have to make Blache available to the media. So, what's going on here? I see 5 possibilities.

1. Blache, fed up with all the drama in D.C., is retiring, and Grey is taking over for him.
2. Blache is being demoted.
3. Blache is soon to be named head coach.
4. Nothings changed with the coaching staff. The Skins and/or Blache were unaware of the NFL requirement to make coordinators available to the media, and everything will return to normal next week.
5. Blache is sick of talking to the media, so he convinced Snyder to name him Assistant Head Coach - Defense and Grey Defensive Coordinator to satisfy NFL media requirements.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,195
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
From Redskins Insider:

Redskins Insider - Your daily source for news and commentary on the Washington Redskins, by Jason Reid



Unless Grey is being promoted to defensive coordinator very soon, the Skins have to make Blache available to the media. So, what's going on here? I see 4 possibilities.

1. Blache, fed up with all the drama in D.C., is retiring and Grey is taking over for him.
2. Blache is being demoted.
3. Blache is soon to be named head coach.
4. Nothings changed with the coaching staff. The Skins and/or Blache were unaware of the NFL requirement to make coordinators available to the media, and everything will return to normal next week.
I sure hope not. Although he does seem to be making adjustments (albeit defensive) better than Zorn. Could be interesting.

I'll take... Retiring for $100, Alex.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,487
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

I hope he steps down and Gray is promoted.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,678
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

#3 is my guess. Right before the bye week.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

I hope this isn't the last thing someone takes over for Blache. There was a while where I really liked the idea of Jerry Gray as DC, but given how badly our secondary has performed, I'm not so sure anymore.

The circus continues.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

#4. He's sick of the media and is tired of talking about it. I would be too.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,986
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
1. Blache, fed up with all the drama in D.C., is retiring, and Grey is taking over for him.
2. Blache is being demoted.
3. Blache is soon to be named head coach.
4. Nothings changed with the coaching staff. The Skins and/or Blache were unaware of the NFL requirement to make coordinators available to the media, and everything will return to normal next week.
5. Blache is sick of talking to the media, so he convinced Snyder to name him Assistant Head Coach - Defense and Grey Defensive Coordinator to satisfy NFL media requirements.
Did you read the entire article that you quoted? It clearly says "NFL rules mandate that teams make coordinators available to the media and the Redskins said they received permission from the league to have Gray, who has served as a coordinator in his career, take over for Blache although Gray currently is not a coordinator."
So, it sounds to me like neither #4 nor #5 are the case. Maybe #1 though...
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,987
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

My guess is Blache is a big grump and would rather focus his time on more important things.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Honestly, I like Blache's personality and really enjoyed listening to him talk on Thursdays, so i'm hoping its option 4. Like, GMScud, i previously was hoping Grey would take over from Blache at some point, but i'm not so sure any more.

All I know is that whoever is responsible for our defensive backs giving 15+ yard cushions on every play needs to be demoted or fired.

As to option 3, its a worst-case scenario for me. As sick as I am of Zorn and as much as I want him out ASAP, the logical part of my brain knows our chances of attracting someone other than Gruden or Fassel after the seasons over deteriorate dramatically if Zorn's fired mid-season. I mean, why on Earth would a respectable HC come here if we fired our previous coach after somewhere between 19 and 22 games? IMO, the only way Snyder can convince Cowher (HC) and Shottenheimer (GM) (my #1 choice to replace Zorn/Cerrato) is to convince them that he's really changed. Firing Zorn midseason certainly wouldnt accomplish that goal. Remember, the only reason Zorn got the job was because no one else (other than Fassel) wanted it.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Did you read the entire article that you quoted? It clearly says "NFL rules mandate that teams make coordinators available to the media and the Redskins said they received permission from the league to have Gray, who has served as a coordinator in his career, take over for Blache although Gray currently is not a coordinator."
So, it sounds to me like neither #4 nor #5 are the case. Maybe #1 though...
I read it, but interpretted it differently. I interpretted it as indicating that because the league was aware that Gray would be made a coordinator soon, that they allowed the change now. Otherwise, I don't see how the league would make this sort of exception here. I guess it would depend on the leagues motivation for having that rule. If theyre primarily concerned with having an "experienced" individual speak with the media, then I can understand it. If its to give potential Head Coaching candidates some media exposure, I understand it. If its to ensure that the media has access to an individual who can answer questions reguarding the entire offensive or defensive units performanc, then I dont. Grey deals with defensive backs. Thats it.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Maybe this is just blache getting his way, he's always said he didn't want to tallk to the press. But the timing is funny, a day after sherman lewis comes in. Obviously, we've noticed it here & speculated some reasons, I'm sure the media will follow up likewise.

It puts Gray in a bad position, he'll have to answer a lot of questions about blache & sherm lewis.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Honestly, I like Blache's personality and really enjoyed listening to him talk on Thursdays, so i'm hoping its option 4. Like, GMScud, i previously was hoping Grey would take over from Blache at some point, but i'm not so sure any more.

All I know is that whoever is responsible for our defensive backs giving 15+ yard cushions on every play needs to be demoted or fired.

As to option 3, its a worst-case scenario for me. As sick as I am of Zorn and as much as I want him out ASAP, the logical part of my brain knows our chances of attracting someone other than Gruden or Fassel after the seasons over deteriorate dramatically if Zorn's fired mid-season. I mean, why on Earth would a respectable HC come here if we fired our previous coach after somewhere between 19 and 22 games? IMO, the only way Snyder can convince Cowher (HC) and Shottenheimer (GM) (my #1 choice to replace Zorn/Cerrato) is to convince them that he's really changed. Firing Zorn midseason certainly wouldnt accomplish that goal. Remember, the only reason Zorn got the job was because no one else (other than Fassel) wanted it.
Gray could also be promoted to interim head coach if Zorn is canned at the bye. He's been closer to being a HC candidate that Blache ever has.

As to the 'we can't fire Zorn mid-season and hope to get a respectable HC' logic, it's bs. One of the big boys (Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher) will come because Snyder won't big time them like he did with small potatoes Fassel, Mariucci, Zorn or one of the other first time head coach candidates he interviewed. If one of the big fish said, I'll come but it has to be my way, Snyder will acquiesce. He's done it twice already (Schotty, Gibbs) and would do it again for the right guy. I don't think he will go to the length he did previously with Schottenheimer and give one man complete and ultimate power, but Shanahan and Holmgren may not want that, rather they'd want to name their own GM/Personnel Director which Snyder will agree to.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Gray could also be promoted to interim head coach if Zorn is canned at the bye. He's been closer to being a HC candidate that Blache ever has.
Was just about to say the exact same thing. Though I think Blache was very close to being named 49ers coach a few years back and then I think they shocked everyone and hired Dennis Erickson. But yeah I could absolutely see Gray being the head coach (interim head coach)

Quote:
As to the 'we can't fire Zorn mid-season and hope to get a respectable HC' logic, it's bs. One of the big boys (Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher) will come because Snyder won't big time them like he did with small potatoes Fassel, Mariucci, Zorn or one of the other first time head coach candidates he interviewed. If one of the big fish said, I'll come but it has to be my way, Snyder will acquiesce. He's done it twice already (Schotty, Gibbs) and would do it again for the right guy. I don't think he will go to the length he did previously with Schottenheimer and give one man complete and ultimate power, but Shanahan and Holmgren may not want that, rather they'd want to name their own GM/Personnel Director which Snyder will agree to.
Talked to some people close to the NFL at lunch today, they still believe Shanahan is the guy. Gruden might be an option in Dallas
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,986
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I read it, but interpretted it differently. I interpretted it as indicating that because the league was aware that Gray would be made a coordinator soon, that they allowed the change now. Otherwise, I don't see how the league would make this sort of exception here. I guess it would depend on the leagues motivation for having that rule. If theyre primarily concerned with having an "experienced" individual speak with the media, then I can understand it. If its to give potential Head Coaching candidates some media exposure, I understand it. If its to ensure that the media has access to an individual who can answer questions reguarding the entire offensive or defensive units performanc, then I dont. Grey deals with defensive backs. Thats it.
Well said. Too many times here people have posted and quoted from articles without actually reading the entire thing, and that always bugs me.

More importantly, like freddyg12 just said, the timing of this is really interesting. One day we bring in a guy who could, most of us assume, take over the reigns of the offense for Zorn fairly quickly. And then the next day the guy who many assume would make the most sense to be the interim coach should Zorn get canned dumps of his "non-football essential" roles onto an assistant who could, most would also assume, take over the D pretty quickly.
Neat.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,920
Re: Jerry Gray takes over Media Duties from Blache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Talked to some people close to the NFL at lunch today, they still believe Shanahan is the guy. Gruden might be an option in Dallas
He just makes too much sense for it to not happen with Shanahan. I can see him co-existing with Snyder (perhaps even teaching him some things from his experiences with Bowlen) than him co-existing with Jerrah down in Dallas.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31239 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25