Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Vinny covering his ass

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #46
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
yeah no one spends 1st round picks on C and G but nobody completely neglects it either. It is asinine to say that you shouldn't draft lineman, one of the reason the colts, pats, giants, the best teams in the league stay the best is because they are continuously replenishing the trenches.

You say that we didn't have a pass rush, we also happened to have the third best defense in the league. Are you saying we made a better decisions by investing 150 mil on AH and DH. Don't you think we could have just gotten some decent players and spent some money on the OL? your argument is specious b/c while you speak a truth, next to no one is contesting that truth and you don't account for the fact that you do need to draft quality OL and develop them in your system so you don't need to go after pricey free agents who often disappoint.
Ditto, and although you don't go after Centers or Guards in the first round a team should look at their glaring needs and make sure those spots are filled or met prior to picking BPA. I'll agree if we had 30 yrs I'm sure anyone could build a team with BPA's, but not if you treat them like crap, let them go elswhere, cut them and so on. Positions of need must come first after those needs are met then you can pick luxury BPA's that can be developed for the future. The Pats are a team who can pick BPA, Colts are a team who can pick BPA, the Skins with so many holes can not afford to pick BPA all the time.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #47
Impact Rookie
 
PennSkinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 44
Posts: 752
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Anyone that puts Mike Williams in the same statement that he thought we had a playoff roster should be immediately stoned and fired. If that is fixing depth, well, there is no surprise to the depths this franchise finds itself.
__________________
DC Pro Sports Report - Home of the Internet's Largest NFL Mock Draft Database. Best Redskins Redskins discussion, theWarpath.net

PennSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #48
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

By the way, Ports has the same amount of carries as Brandon Jacobs. Averaging more yards per carry with 1 touchdown and Jacobs has 2 touchdowns. What the giants have is a viable 2nd RB. We got Betts who sucks. I said that 3 years ago. What logic puts Betts in the game on 3rd downs, the most critical of downs? Stupid stupid stupid. Run Rock more in the meantime. I am seeing a 5-5 record at week ten. Keep fumble fingers on the bench.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #49
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
Anyone that puts Mike Williams in the same statement that he thought we had a playoff roster should be immediately stoned and fired. If that is fixing depth, well, there is no surprise to the depths this franchise finds itself.
He basically said, "We found bodies to fill holes, that should work on the O-Line."
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #50
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Well, we had 3 2nd rounders in the 2008 draft and drafted not 1 OL. I did hear alot of posts about not using one of those on an OL.

I was thinking at the time that Kelly, Thomas, and Davis must be really good for us not to draft an offensive lineman w/ one of those picks.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #51
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

One more point for Portis. He told us all out O-line sucks last year. Everyone says he is a hot dog for that. Now everyone is repeating what the said. Can I get a Portis was right. Our o-line sucks? No, all i hear is start Pineapple Jesus.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #52
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Well, we had 3 2nd rounders in the 2008 draft and drafted not 1 OL. I did hear alot of posts about not using one of those on an OL.

I was thinking at the time that Kelly, Thomas, and Davis must be really good for us not to draft an offensive lineman w/ one of those picks.

Once again Zorn's fault. He whined about haivng BIG recievers. He imagined Jerry Rice for his system LOL!!!!. Passed up Desean Jackson because he wasn't tall enough. Vinny can't get the blame for this. That has a Zorny smell to it.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #53
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,691
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
Once again Zorn's fault. He whined about haivng BIG recievers. He imagined Jerry Rice for his system LOL!!!!. Passed up Desean Jackson because he wasn't tall enough. Vinny can't get the blame for this. That has a Zorny smell to it.
I have never heard Zorn was at fault for the 3 receivers. I am pretty sure it was a Cerrato deal, maybe trying to get Zorn what he wanted, but that's when a GM steps up and says, wait, this is what you need. I certainly think a 2nd round OL from that draft would have been a good move, and a lot of the fan unrest now would be milder. Heck maybe we even would have beaten another 0fer team. Nah probably not...
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #54
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

We need O-linemen, I agree, but I like how now we have a great D-line. At one point we didn't have an O-line or a D-line. Yall remember that? I see his approach 2 WRs and TE to fix the big receiver issue. 2 D-linemen in draft and Haynesworth, now D-line fixed. Now we have receivers and got D-linemen. I think next off season we fix the O-line. 5-5 after 10 games. My prediction. Trade Cooley, no longer needed. Get a 3rd rounder for him. No one is giving a 2nd rounder for an Internet exhibitionist (talk about character issues, sheesh).
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #55
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
1. Draft picks are not guarantees.
Last year everyone on this board were crying because we couldn't rush the passer. Getting a pass rush for the D was priority one, an this was a UN resolution.

2. The fact is, Gibbs left Zorn a playoff team. Obviously Zorn is incapable of even impersonating an NFL offensive coordinator. Look, when it looks like the entire roster needs to be blown up and all players are suddenly horrible (including the 4 Pro Bowl offensive players), that points to Zorn, point blank period.

3. We have a nice nucleus of young players. I like the 2nd year WRs and Davis. Actually Davis may turn out to be better than Cooley. I would like to start that argument now. The offense is better off with Davis in the line up than with Cooley in the line up. I say trade Cooley for a tight end who can block. That would make more sense than trading a 1500 yard a year RB. Who would yall rather have then Portis: Forte or Turner? (one hit wonders). We need a young RB to go along with Portis to phase in as Portis phases out.

4. We need offensive line help, but one off season should be enough. We need a Center, a Guard, and a Tackle. Every freaking lineman does not have to be a Pro Bowler. No one spends 1st round picks on Centers or Guards. Maybe spend it on a Tackle, but i would rather spend that pick on a young stud to complement Portis.

5. Monday night NFL bloopers film. I had to laugh. Zorn's team is in disarray. He does not know what he is doing. The snap on 4th an goal and all the penalties point to coaching once again. We need to hire a head coach and let him pick his assistants.
So many things wrong with this... where to begin?

1.) Since nothing is ever guaranteed (in football or anywhere else), we need to look at probabilities. The odds that a 1st to 3rd round draft pick will *at least* become a 10 year backup are pretty good. 10 year backups are highly valuable, IMO. I'm not sure why you made the point of draft picks not being guaranteed. Are you trying to defend our neglect to the draft?

2.) Why did we go 6-2 at the beginning of last season? I guess that was in spite of Zorn? I'm not sold on Zorn at all, but everything is not his fault as you make it seem. We have no depth, and when we didn't need it (i.e.: beginning of last year), we did fine. Now we have key injuries and our depth problem is exposed. You can't blame Zorn for that.

3.) The offense is better with Davis than Cooley? WTF? Cooley is a top 5 tight end (maybe top 3) in the league. Davis hasn't done squat.

4.) I'd say we have 3 or 4 linemen worth keeping: Dockery, Rabach and Heyer. However, they should be our backups IMO. Heyer is crap, but he's versatile and kind of a project. I'd be comfortable if Dockery or Rabach had to come in due to injury. Hell, I'd be comfortable if they had to start, but not with the other guys we have now. That leaves us with a need for 7 - 9 more offensive linemen. That surely can't be easily fixed in one offseason. Drafting a RB with our 1st would be a waste, because we can't run block. I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure guards have been taken in the first round before -- probably centers too. Don't put the cart ahead of horse.

5.) How in the world does the fumbled snap on 4th and goal fall on Zorn? Ridiculous.

I don't really think the team needs to be blown up, but our offensive line definitely does -- and, it is pretty much the reason for all of our problems on offense.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #56
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
By the way, Ports has the same amount of carries as Brandon Jacobs. Averaging more yards per carry with 1 touchdown and Jacobs has 2 touchdowns. What the giants have is a viable 2nd RB. We got Betts who sucks. I said that 3 years ago. What logic puts Betts in the game on 3rd downs, the most critical of downs? Stupid stupid stupid. Run Rock more in the meantime. I am seeing a 5-5 record at week ten. Keep fumble fingers on the bench.
The logic is, although Betts is not the best runner he is better then Portis at catching passes. Before you go off on a tangent.....I'm not a Betts supporter nor a Cartwright supporter. I think they should have been cut or traded a long time ago. Youth brought in and developed. ....but.....we keep hearing from coach after coach that Betts is something wonderful and can catch passes better then Portis. So logically if you are sitting at 3rd and long most likely there will be play action with possibly a pass to a RB out of the back field. Just to have another weapon. Portis has gotten better in this catagory but for what ever reason every coach has seen something us fans don't. Which is why he's still on the team and being used as a pass catching RB. However if all they did was pass to him then other teams would key on that and back up ever time he's in the game. So the Skins change it up once and a while.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #57
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Ghetto Dog -
1. 10 year backups. Name one for me please? A back up should be a potential up an coming starter or a former starter who has lost a step. you want young up and comers and veteran guidance, and a mix there of. 10 year back ups don't exist.
2. 6-2 Gibbs, Zorn did not have to earn his pay then. He didn't change anything at that point. No injuries yet, but when he had to change things and be a coach he flopped and looked lost. By the way he still lost. Zorn inherited a playoff team.

3. I said that about Cooley to make a point. Everyone wants to trade away all Pro Bowl players except Cooley. WTF?

4. The Carolina Panthers fixed there O-line in one offseason do the research. We can use the draft and FAs. Do what needs to be done. Use the same technique we used to fix the D-line.

5. The fumble, the penalties, and all the Bad News Bears like foul ups shows coaching issues. I have heard it time and time again. That is coaching. A player's lack of ability does not make them make that blooper. Confusion causes that play. That shows the lack of perparedness more than anything. That is Zorn's fault.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #58
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

SBXVII-

Gibbs didn't do that. The only Redskin coaches Portis has played for are Gibbs and Zorn. Portis can catch, he just stays in to block sometimes. Common sense. Betts looks stupid most of the time. It's worth the threat we might run by having Portis on the field. Betts only gets at the most 2 catches a game, and those are the games he catches a pass at all. 2 catches, Not worth the fumbling risk. Poor risk management by Zorn.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #59
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
The logic is, although Betts is not the best runner he is better then Portis at catching passes. Before you go off on a tangent.....I'm not a Betts supporter nor a Cartwright supporter. I think they should have been cut or traded a long time ago. Youth brought in and developed. ....but.....we keep hearing from coach after coach that Betts is something wonderful and can catch passes better then Portis. So logically if you are sitting at 3rd and long most likely there will be play action with possibly a pass to a RB out of the back field. Just to have another weapon. Portis has gotten better in this catagory but for what ever reason every coach has seen something us fans don't. Which is why he's still on the team and being used as a pass catching RB. However if all they did was pass to him then other teams would key on that and back up ever time he's in the game. So the Skins change it up once and a while.
Fwiw Betts is actually having a great receiving season for a back. But that hardly matters when he is missing blocks that lead to sacks.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #60
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Vinny covering his ass

SBXVII Play action on 3rd and long when you know the blitz coming? Are you sure you're not Zorn or Sherm Lewis in disguise? Can't even do that on Madden.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31646 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25