Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Vinny covering his ass

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,369
Vinny covering his ass

I think it's a little too late.

Redskins Insider - Your daily source for news and commentary on the Washington Redskins, by Jason Reid
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Vinny covering his ass

I just changed my sig in his honor.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,021
Re: Vinny covering his ass

If you saw VC last night in the pre-game interviews, he looked like a cop on his way to start a prison sentence........
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: Vinny covering his ass

He's a gonner because shanahan is the next coach
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Vinny covering his ass

for some reason the link isn't working for me, but trample the eldery's sig scares me:
"Things take care of themselves after the season. I don't worry about those things"
I'm sure it's easy to take that out of perspective, but if his interview is anywhere close to that, oh my! This is the man leading our team? SERIOUSLY???? Things DO NOT take care of themselves you friggin moron! Holy crap I want to strangle his ass for saying that. No wonder our beloved team is sucking, our leadership SUCKS.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,582
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Pretty hard hitting. Here's a damning statement(i like orakpo):
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC
"In the draft there was nobody at 13 worthy of it. Are you having the results you want to be? No, we don't want to have sacks.
Does that mean Oher wasn't worth it and that they couldn't trade back like cleveland did?

again I like orakpo, but there was a top quality OL available.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
for some reason the link isn't working for me, but trample the eldery's sig scares me:
"Things take care of themselves after the season. I don't worry about those things"
I'm sure it's easy to take that out of perspective, but if his interview is anywhere close to that, oh my! This is the man leading our team? SERIOUSLY???? Things DO NOT take care of themselves you friggin moron! Holy crap I want to strangle his ass for saying that. No wonder our beloved team is sucking, our leadership SUCKS.
Just for you hommie.

Cerrato: Roster was capable of reaching playoffs
Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, addressed a variety of topics concerning the team's disappointing 2-5 start while briefly speaking with reporters this afternoon at Redskins Park.

When asked if he felt he provided Coach Jim Zorn with a roster capable of reaching the postseason, Cerrato said, "Yes." When asked to repeat that, Cerrato replied, "yes," again.

Cerrato described the first seven weeks of the season as "frustrating" and "disappointing," saying this "is not where we expected to be." Cerrato is in charge of planning and implementing every aspect of the team's football strategy the last two seasons and that includes assembling an offensive line that one longtime NFL executive on another team recently described as one of the worst in the league.

In an internal offseason evaluation of the roster, the Redskins determined the offensive line was the team's weakest unit because of age and injury concerns and was responsible, in large part, for the 2-6 second-half collapse of 2008. Washington brought back guard Derrick Dockery to replace left guard Pete Kendall and made a push to sign Seattle Seahawks tackle Ray Willis.

More, however, needed to be done for a team with playoff aspirations, especially considering that left tackle Chris Samuels and right guard Randy Thomas were coming off multiple surgeries. Many in the organization expected Samuels and Thomas to miss some, if not all, of the season.

Thomas's season ended in Week 2 because of triceps injury and Samuels suffered a severe neck injury in Week 5. "We got to address and get some depth," running back Clinton Portis said of the offensive line. "We went into the season, and we didn't address that issue and it came back to haunt us."

The Redskins tried, Cerrato said.

"We added Dockery, we added Mike Williams and we attempted to," Cerrato said. "In the draft there was nobody at 13 worthy of it. Are you having the results you want to be? No, we don't want to have sacks. If it was Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas in there, would it be better? Absolutely. If you lose a Pro Bowler, it's definitely going to drop off. I guess where we're standing right now, to have more depth would be great."

As for no one being worthy to be selected with the Redskins' No. 13 overall pick in the 2009 draft, that's a matter of opinion. The Baltimore Ravens have had a much better track record than the Redskins at drafting and developing offensive linemen, and they selected tackle Michael Oher with the 23rd overall pick. Oher has started six games, moving from right tackle to the left side to replace the injured Jared Gaither.

In fairness to Cerrato, there probably aren't many Pro Bowl-caliber tackles in backup roles around the league, which Cerrato quickly pointed out. "Look around the league. Nobody has a Pro Bowler to back up a Pro Bowl," he said. "When you lose some quality people, there is a drop-off. I'm not making excuses. We have to do better."

But the Redskins, as a practice, do not draft offensive linemen. It's a philosophy thing, and that's their choice, but the best teams in the league constantly replenish their offensive lines, the league executive said.

"With Randy, we anticipated not going 16 games," Cerrato said. "We anticipated that part."

Cerrato expressed satisfaction with the team's new play-caller, offensive consultant Sherman Lewis. The Redskins lost their third straight game and produced only 17 points (the Eagles had a 27-7 lead in the first half), "but I thought Sherm provided a spark and I think the offense did some good things. And I think Fred [Davis] and Devin [Thomas] got a chance to do some things offensively. So I think coming and having to face the third-ranked defense that blitzes all the time, I thought he did a good job with the amount of time that he had. I thought he did an excellent job."

Everything, and everyone, in the organization must be evaluated after the season -- Cerrato included, he said. "I got to look at myself, we got to look at everybody and we got to just go out now and you know what you got to do -- you got to get to better day to day, week to week," he said. "And that's what it's about, it's about improving each game. It's one game at a time, one day at a time."

Perhaps you're wondering if Cerrato expects to return in his current position next season. "I feel like my job's on the line all the time," he said. "It's not something that I really worry about. My job is to get us going, to fill these holes when guys get hurt. Things take care of themselves after the season. I don't worry about those things."
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,582
Re: Vinny covering his ass

He also said he anticipated Thomas going out, does that mean he didn't anticipate Samuels missing time. Heck, even I anticipated that part.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
for some reason the link isn't working for me, but trample the eldery's sig scares me:
"Things take care of themselves after the season. I don't worry about those things"
I'm sure it's easy to take that out of perspective, but if his interview is anywhere close to that, oh my! This is the man leading our team? SERIOUSLY???? Things DO NOT take care of themselves you friggin moron! Holy crap I want to strangle his ass for saying that. No wonder our beloved team is sucking, our leadership SUCKS.
Dude you cannot comment on an article after reading an answer to a question that you have know idea what was asked.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
He also said he anticipated Thomas going out, does that mean he didn't anticipate Samuels missing time. Heck, even I anticipated that part.
I wonder if he anticipates fans and coaches avoiding the Skins like the plague?
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,369
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I wonder if he anticipates fans and coaches avoiding the Skins like the plague?
He should stick to racquetball, cause he has no clue on how to run a ball club. He's the equivalent of Spurrier/Zorn as a coach, CLUELESS!!!!!!!
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Pretty hard hitting. Here's a damning statement(i like orakpo):


Does that mean Oher wasn't worth it and that they couldn't trade back like cleveland did?

again I like orakpo, but there was a top quality OL available.


Come on now. you can't blame Cerrato for not trading down. It wasnt his fault. Remember, he ran up to the podium to turn in the orakpo pick within seconds of being on the clock, so he didn't have the opportunity to wait and see if someone made an offer to trade up to 13...

Actually, if memory serves me, Cerrato spent the better part of the offseason and the days approaching the draft trying to trade away our 1st rounder for Jay Cutler or Mark Sanchez. Then, on draft day as our pick approached, Cerrato tried to trade up to 12 to select Orakpo. Fortunately for us, Denver told Cerrato they weren't selecting Orakpo. So drafting O-line was never part of the plan to begin with. Cerrato is full of crap and can't be fired soon enough. If he's not fired or demoted by/in the offseason, i simply cant remain a skins fan anymore... Just like i won't do business with a company thats dishonest or poorly run, i can't continue to support a franchse thats run by imbecilels and has proven, for over a decade, that it only cares about money.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Just for you hommie.

Cerrato: Roster was capable of reaching playoffs
Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, addressed a variety of topics concerning the team's disappointing 2-5 start while briefly speaking with reporters this afternoon at Redskins Park.

When asked if he felt he provided Coach Jim Zorn with a roster capable of reaching the postseason, Cerrato said, "Yes." When asked to repeat that, Cerrato replied, "yes," again.

Cerrato described the first seven weeks of the season as "frustrating" and "disappointing," saying this "is not where we expected to be." Cerrato is in charge of planning and implementing every aspect of the team's football strategy the last two seasons and that includes assembling an offensive line that one longtime NFL executive on another team recently described as one of the worst in the league.

In an internal offseason evaluation of the roster, the Redskins determined the offensive line was the team's weakest unit because of age and injury concerns and was responsible, in large part, for the 2-6 second-half collapse of 2008. Washington brought back guard Derrick Dockery to replace left guard Pete Kendall and made a push to sign Seattle Seahawks tackle Ray Willis.

More, however, needed to be done for a team with playoff aspirations, especially considering that left tackle Chris Samuels and right guard Randy Thomas were coming off multiple surgeries. Many in the organization expected Samuels and Thomas to miss some, if not all, of the season.

Thomas's season ended in Week 2 because of triceps injury and Samuels suffered a severe neck injury in Week 5. "We got to address and get some depth," running back Clinton Portis said of the offensive line. "We went into the season, and we didn't address that issue and it came back to haunt us."

The Redskins tried, Cerrato said.

"We added Dockery, we added Mike Williams and we attempted to," Cerrato said. "In the draft there was nobody at 13 worthy of it. Are you having the results you want to be? No, we don't want to have sacks. If it was Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas in there, would it be better? Absolutely. If you lose a Pro Bowler, it's definitely going to drop off. I guess where we're standing right now, to have more depth would be great."

As for no one being worthy to be selected with the Redskins' No. 13 overall pick in the 2009 draft, that's a matter of opinion. The Baltimore Ravens have had a much better track record than the Redskins at drafting and developing offensive linemen, and they selected tackle Michael Oher with the 23rd overall pick. Oher has started six games, moving from right tackle to the left side to replace the injured Jared Gaither.

In fairness to Cerrato, there probably aren't many Pro Bowl-caliber tackles in backup roles around the league, which Cerrato quickly pointed out. "Look around the league. Nobody has a Pro Bowler to back up a Pro Bowl," he said. "When you lose some quality people, there is a drop-off. I'm not making excuses. We have to do better."

But the Redskins, as a practice, do not draft offensive linemen. It's a philosophy thing, and that's their choice, but the best teams in the league constantly replenish their offensive lines, the league executive said.

"With Randy, we anticipated not going 16 games," Cerrato said. "We anticipated that part."

Cerrato expressed satisfaction with the team's new play-caller, offensive consultant Sherman Lewis. The Redskins lost their third straight game and produced only 17 points (the Eagles had a 27-7 lead in the first half), "but I thought Sherm provided a spark and I think the offense did some good things. And I think Fred [Davis] and Devin [Thomas] got a chance to do some things offensively. So I think coming and having to face the third-ranked defense that blitzes all the time, I thought he did a good job with the amount of time that he had. I thought he did an excellent job."

Everything, and everyone, in the organization must be evaluated after the season -- Cerrato included, he said. "I got to look at myself, we got to look at everybody and we got to just go out now and you know what you got to do -- you got to get to better day to day, week to week," he said. "And that's what it's about, it's about improving each game. It's one game at a time, one day at a time."

Perhaps you're wondering if Cerrato expects to return in his current position next season. "I feel like my job's on the line all the time," he said. "It's not something that I really worry about. My job is to get us going, to fill these holes when guys get hurt. Things take care of themselves after the season. I don't worry about those things."
thanks for the link...what stood out to me (well several things stood out, but one of the bigger ones) was when he said Sherm Lewis did and "excellent job". Sure, for a guy that was calling bingo, he did exceptionally well...but for an actually play caller in the NFL, he didn't exactly call the greatest of games. It was more or less the same.
Cerrato feels like his job is on the line...well damn it, it should be!!! If these people aren't let go this season, might as well let them all go next year...Cerrato, Zorn, Campbell, Obama..throw em all out. (oops...how did Obama get in there)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Come on now. you can't blame Cerrato for not trading down. It wasnt his fault. Remember, he ran up to the podium to turn in the orakpo pick within seconds of being on the clock, so he didn't have the opportunity to wait and see if someone made an offer to trade up to 13...

Actually, if memory serves me, Cerrato spent the better part of the offseason and the days approaching the draft trying to trade away our 1st rounder for Jay Cutler or Mark Sanchez. Then, on draft day as our pick approached, Cerrato tried to trade up to 12 to select Orakpo. Fortunately for us, Denver told Cerrato they weren't selecting Orakpo. So drafting O-line was never part of the plan to begin with. Cerrato is full of crap and can't be fired soon enough. If he's not fired or demoted by/in the offseason, i simply cant remain a skins fan anymore... Just like i won't do business with a company thats dishonest or poorly run, i can't continue to support a franchse thats run by imbecilels and has proven, for over a decade, that it only cares about money.
If we traded away our first round pick for Sanchez then what would we have used to pick him?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,582
Re: Vinny covering his ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
thanks for the link...what stood out to me (well several things stood out, but one of the bigger ones) was when he said Sherm Lewis did and "excellent job". Sure, for a guy that was calling bingo, he did exceptionally well...but for an actually play caller in the NFL, he didn't exactly call the greatest of games. It was more or less the same.
Cerrato feels like his job is on the line...well damn it, it should be!!! If these people aren't let go this season, might as well let them all go next year...Cerrato, Zorn, Campbell, Obama..throw em all out. (oops...how did Obama get in there)
Sorry, Sherm gets high marks. We looked, from a scheme perspective, like an NFL team. The last few weeks we looked like a college team, and a bad one at that. Some on here will say coach/playcalling doesn't matter it is the execution. And they are right once the clock is ticking. But when you are practicing and know that you have an imbecile for a coach, players will lose focus, they won't work at plays because they know when the clock is ticking that play has 0 percent chance at being used. Devin/FD/Rock, or if we had had Alridge, all have to feel they have a shot now. Maybe CP or the "Stars" won't change their attitude, but the young studs may. Maybe once everyone knows Sherm's tricks they will stop him too, but right now, the playcalling and the attitude it looked to bring is a whole lot better then one week ago.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.49406 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25