Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Your next QB for the Skins?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #61
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 530
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Ultimately it's going to come down to what the next HC thinks though. He still has those qualities that coaches drool over, big arm, he's big and mobile... you could almost hear Gruden sizing him up last night. And with the egos that coaches typically have (I can make this kid something) I just wouldn't rule it out.
I agree with that. Gruden seemed to focus on very fixable aspects of JCs game, such as planting his feet before a throw and keeping his eyes downfield.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #62
Impact Rookie
 
Coff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 530
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Like I said in the other QB thread, you might as well ask, "What punching bag do you put behind the Redskins's Maginot line?" Insert any ole asshole and you'll have guys defending him on this board. "Why he's the best thing since sliced bread. Yes Sire, he going to take us to the Superbowl". It's more like, toilet bowl.
Which is why we may as well keep Campbell and keep him in place while we groom a new QB if we draft one.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #63
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,339
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

It would be a very bad idea to take a quarterback with the top pick because there are so many needs on the offensive line. I actually wouldn't mind giving brady quinn a shot, we could get him cheap, he's got a decent arm, he's young enough but got some NFL starts and I think with the right coaching he could be a good quarterback, thoughts?
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #64
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 36
Posts: 2,817
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

We'll have a new President in DC, come 2012. And his name is Barkley.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #65
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,482
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Trade JC for a 7th rounder. Cut Collins. Give Vinny a new pair of cement shoes. Bring in a Vet and rebuild the Oline with our picks. Vick anyone?
Um no, were you watching last night? What did you see that you liked exactly?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #66
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,501
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
We'll have a new President in DC, come 2012. And his name is Barkley.
LOL. I knew you'd say him

I think it's very possible that Campbell returns, but probably not likely. Even if he's not an unrestricted free agent, I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins simply don't tender him. Campbell seems like a great guy, and potentially a solid QB. And yes the OL issues have not helped him, although last night was the first time I thought the line was really awful this season (in other games they've been average to below average). Still, my own unprofessional observations tell me there are things he is not doing right. And I've listened to too many ex-NFL QBs basically say "The OL issue is a crutch. Campbell needs to step it up and take charge." He hasn't often enough and so I think his time is unfortunately up here. It's been mentioned many times before, but when you look at what Rodgers is doing with a brutal line in Green Bay you have to ask yourself why can't Campbell do the same?

If Gruden does actually become our next head coach, I could see the Redskins making a push (trade) for a veteran QB like Kellen Clemens or maybe even Matt Moore and then take someone like Zac Robinson or even Jevan Snead in the 2nd round (or 3rd if we can trade back into that round). Or even Rusty Smith...or John Skelton (but he's not really a Gruden type in my opinion).

This is what I think will actually happen. I think as much as my Gruden source says no he won't coach the Redskins I have a feeling he will (or maybe it's just wishful thinking because I don't want Shanahan), Matt Millen would probably just slide into Gruden's role on MNF, Gruden will go OL in the first 2 rounds, he'll sign or trade for some veteran like Clemens that could start for a year, and he'll draft someone like a Zac Robinson to start by 2011. And he'll find a way to bring in Tebow to replace Mike Sellers

If Gruden isn't the coach, or maybe even if he is, I think we take Jimmy Clausen. (in my best Jaws voice) I've gone back and watched every offensive play this season of the top QB candidates and there's something special about Clausen. I'd take him with the first pick in the draft and stock up on OL the rest of the draft (and a RB somewhere)
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #67
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,482
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

For some reason I just have a gut feeling about Gruden being the next coach too, but I've been wrong too many times to count so who the F knows.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #68
Camp Scrub
 
bornaskin1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Falling Waters, Wv
Posts: 3
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
OK, we all know this season is a bust, and most of us know that while Campbell is NOT the #1 problem, he is indeed a problem and needs to be replaced. If you don't feel he should be replaced, feel free to move beyond this thread...for those that do know he needs to be replaced, who would you replace him with.
Of course we would all love to have Peyton Manning, but there aren't enough first round picks in the world that could pry him away from Indy.

So who will be your poison?

Clausen?
Bradford?
Tebow?
How bout a current NFL qb in a poor situation like Marc Bulger? Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell, Jeff Garcia, and numerous others will be available, or at least available with minimal force.

(mods, feel free to post a poll)
I like Tim Tebow, He's firey young lad!
bornaskin1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #69
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,392
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
LOL. I knew you'd say him

I think it's very possible that Campbell returns, but probably not likely. Even if he's not an unrestricted free agent, I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins simply don't tender him. Campbell seems like a great guy, and potentially a solid QB. And yes the OL issues have not helped him, although last night was the first time I thought the line was really awful this season (in other games they've been average to below average). Still, my own unprofessional observations tell me there are things he is not doing right. And I've listened to too many ex-NFL QBs basically say "The OL issue is a crutch. Campbell needs to step it up and take charge." He hasn't often enough and so I think his time is unfortunately up here. It's been mentioned many times before, but when you look at what Rodgers is doing with a brutal line in Green Bay you have to ask yourself why can't Campbell do the same?

If Gruden does actually become our next head coach, I could see the Redskins making a push (trade) for a veteran QB like Kellen Clemens or maybe even Matt Moore and then take someone like Zac Robinson or even Jevan Snead in the 2nd round (or 3rd if we can trade back into that round). Or even Rusty Smith...or John Skelton (but he's not really a Gruden type in my opinion).

This is what I think will actually happen. I think as much as my Gruden source says no he won't coach the Redskins I have a feeling he will (or maybe it's just wishful thinking because I don't want Shanahan), Matt Millen would probably just slide into Gruden's role on MNF, Gruden will go OL in the first 2 rounds, he'll sign or trade for some veteran like Clemens that could start for a year, and he'll draft someone like a Zac Robinson to start by 2011. And he'll find a way to bring in Tebow to replace Mike Sellers

If Gruden isn't the coach, or maybe even if he is, I think we take Jimmy Clausen. (in my best Jaws voice) I've gone back and watched every offensive play this season of the top QB candidates and there's something special about Clausen. I'd take him with the first pick in the draft and stock up on OL the rest of the draft (and a RB somewhere)
I believe Kellen Clemens will be a free agent,wouldnt need to trade for him.I dont want us to draft a qb high and i dont like the list of free agent qbs.I'm sick of JC but our choices suck.
Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers (34)
Kyle Boller, St. Louis Rams (28)
David Carr, New York Giants (30)
Kellen Clemens, New York Jets (26)
Daunte Culpepper, Detroit Lions (32)
Jeff Garcia, Oakland Raiders (39)
Rex Grossman, Houston Texans (29)
Joey Harrington, New Orleans Saints (30)
Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota Vikings (26)
Jon Kitna, Dallas Cowboys (36)
Matt Moore, Carolina Panthers (25) Restricted FA
Patrick Ramsey, Tennessee Titans (30)
Brett Ratliff, Cleveland Browns (24) Exclusive Rights FA
Troy Smith, Baltimore Ravens (25) Restricted FA

I think Tarvaris Jackson probably has the most upside.I dont know anything about Matt Moore.
I would like to see us draft a qb in the lower rounds,trade out high draft pick for more picks for more off lineman,let Todd Collins and Colt battle it out for the starting job and next yr be a rebuilding yr.Thats what I would like to see happen,but With todays win now attitude I dont see that happening
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #70
Camp Scrub
 
cookskin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P View Post
Just say no to Tebow.
ewww, i disagree... im thinking he might be a great fit.. at least he can outrun the rush we see every attempt! just my opinion... bring on tebow!! thats my .02
cookskin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #71
Camp Scrub
 
SkinFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, VA
Age: 54
Posts: 49
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

I could see us doing this one of 2 ways. Campbell is a UFA after this season and may not want to come back. But if we were to address the other pressing positions, I think he would be okay another year. We arent going to be able to fix everything at once.
Assuming 2010 is an uncapped year the first thing the new GM needs to do is get into the free agent market which is pretty deep on the O-line. Unless there have been some recent contract extensions, 2010 FA Tackles are Charlie Johnson (Colts), Mike Gandy (Cards), Marcus McNeil (Chargers). Guards Chris Snee and Rich Seubart both from the Giants. I don't know what kind of depth there is in the draft on the O-line, but we need depth, so a combination of free agency and draft prospects are going to be important.
I know alot of you guys like Portis but we probably need to shop for an RB, Cadillac Williams, Ricky Williams, Darren Sproles are on the FA lists. I think QB really should be addressed by what type of offense the new HC runs, But Kellen Clemens, Daunte Culpepper and Tavaris Jackson would be good choices.
IMO, the big question here is, who can we get for a GM that 1.) will take the job, and 2.) has a strong enough spine to stand up to the Danny. Any suggestions?
__________________
GM First
SkinFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #72
Camp Scrub
 
poopoobigelow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SLC, unfortunately...
Posts: 22
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

a point for and a point against bradford...

for: the big knock on him, at this point, is his durability... the last phenom to come out of oklahoma with durability questions was adrian peterson... look how that turned out for everyone that passed on him...

against: the list for shotgun spread offense QBs that have put up huge numbers in college that have been successful in the NFL is very short...
poopoobigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #73
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,302
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
.I'm sick of JC but our choices suck.
Charlie Batch, Pittsburgh Steelers (34)
Kyle Boller, St. Louis Rams (28)
David Carr, New York Giants (30)
Kellen Clemens, New York Jets (26)
Daunte Culpepper, Detroit Lions (32)
Jeff Garcia, Oakland Raiders (39)
Rex Grossman, Houston Texans (29)
Joey Harrington, New Orleans Saints (30)
Tarvaris Jackson, Minnesota Vikings (26)
Jon Kitna, Dallas Cowboys (36)
Matt Moore, Carolina Panthers (25) Restricted FA
Patrick Ramsey, Tennessee Titans (30)
Brett Ratliff, Cleveland Browns (24) Exclusive Rights FA
Troy Smith, Baltimore Ravens (25) Restricted FA
I rather have JC than anyone of this list including Clements. I say trade for Rosenfelds or Tyler thigpen, even Brady Quinn out of Cleveland or Matt Leinart would be better choices.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #74
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,126
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
If we were to stick with the WCO, then I would sign a veteran QB that knows the WCO. I would draft another QB in the second or third round that I think would be a fit for the WCO and begin to groom him. Whatever veteran that we signed would battle Colt Brennan for the starting position. The drafted guy would get a full 3 years to learn the WCO before he even gets a chance to compete for the starting job.

If we are going to start over from scratch on offense then I am going to use my second pick in the draft for a QB if I have multiple first round selections. If I only have one first round pick, then I will wait until year two to use my first rounder on a QB. From day one the first round draft pick QB will be the starter.

In both of these scenarios I use the majority of the early picks to focus on the offensive line.
We dont have a 3 round pick this coming draft. Used it on Jeremy Jarmon in Supplemental Draft.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #75
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,126
Re: Your next QB for the Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
I say go sign Garcia to a 2 year deal why we build the olines. Then we go after Matt Barkley in 2012
Thats a gamble to wait and hope to draft Matt Barkley who's just a freshman.
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.48979 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25