Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,417
Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Interesting read

Owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports - Ross Tucker - SI.com
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Great read. I hear about various levels of involvement from owners all over the league. The only owner that I've heard is truly a 100% hands-off owner (unless absolutely necessary) is Paul Allen of the Seahawks.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Camp Scrub
 
SkinFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, VA
Age: 54
Posts: 49
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

I think Jones and Snyder are the 2 prime examples of overinvolved owners. The difference between them being that Jones actually played football and has an understanding of the game. But then you have examples like Kraft and Rooney, who know their place and allow those they hire to do the job they're paid to do. I don't think anyone is under the false hope that Snyder or any owner will stay out of all decisions. Like the writer said, it's their dime. But I'm not buying that an owner's heavy involvement in football ops is inevitable. There's plenty of evidence to the contrary.
__________________
GM First
SkinFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,201
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

I think most owners in the NFL don't meddle. What I like about Jones is he at least doesn't hide behind anyone. I'd rather have him than Snyder.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think most owners in the NFL don't meddle. What I like about Jones is he at least doesn't hide behind anyone. I'd rather have him than Snyder.
Depends on how you define meddle. Most owners have various levels of involvement.

Would you be ok with Snyder's involvement if he just comes out and says "Moving forward, I am taking the title of General Manager"
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,917
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

I would think ALL owners meddle as that is part of the attraction of owning a team. As the article states....the ultimate fantasy football game? We just rarely hear about it. If the truth were known, who REALLY knows what DanFinger's involvement has been?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Depends on how you define meddle. Most owners have various levels of involvement.

Would you be ok with Snyder's involvement if he just comes out and says "Moving forward, I am taking the title of General Manager"
Not sure how heavily involved Snyder is with personnel, but one reason I can respect Jerry Jones is because he has the stones to call himself the GM of the team. He may not be very good at it, but at least he's not hiding behind a curtain pulling strings with no accountability.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Impact Rookie
 
BrunellMVP?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 726
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Doesn't paint a bright picture for us...

I'd really just be happy if a football guy comes in that Dan respects (not one that he runs over like Vinny). I don't think that is asking too much
__________________
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,291
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Depends on how you define meddle. Most owners have various levels of involvement.

Would you be ok with Snyder's involvement if he just comes out and says "Moving forward, I am taking the title of General Manager"
I would appreciate the honesty of such an announcement. That would beat an owner who acts as GM in secret.

I disagree with Tucker when he says, "If you were the owner of an NFL team, would you take a backseat and decline to have significant input on all of the football decisions? I didn't think so." At my job I have hired others who have expertise in fields that I don't. Even though I could get involved with their work, I don't at all - I let them be free to do their jobs as they see fit. After all, the reason they were hired is that they know things that I don't and from this point of view my meddling with their jobs would erase the reason for hiring them to begin with. Then again, I don't have $1 billion of mine on the line and we are not playing a game at my work. But I still think that the idea that owners inevitably will meddle holds no merit. In fact, projecting from my experience, the more an owner gets involved, the dumber he or she is.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
Sheriff Gonna Getcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 34
Posts: 8,317
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

I realize that most owners are involved in matters affecting the teams. However, aren't many of the owners involved in an "advisory-only" role? I thought many GMs were granted, by the terms of their employment contracts, final authority on most decisions. The Danny hasn't ceded full control to someone else since 2001.

The Danny isn't the sole source of this team's struggles. However, he hired the coaches and is intimately involved in player acquisition matters. It's pretty hard not to blame him for a lot of our problems when he exercises that much power and has been around for the past 10 years.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,395
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

The thing that gets me is that, after 10 years of mediocrity, you would think that Snyder would look at how things are being done and say... hmmmmm how are franchises that are consistently successful run? What are the models that acheive success? Generally, what is the level of owner involvement for successful teams?

Perhaps he has done this, I just don't know. I don't think he has. I remember an article where he was asked if he thinks the Ravens might be a good model (back around the time they were winning a SB and constantly restocking their team with young talent) and his response being something along the lines of "What could I possibly learn from them??

I really am not on the trash Dan bandwagon - I don't want the team sold (the devil you don't know is worse than the one you do).

I just want the dumb little jerk to wake up, swallow his pride, do some serious self examination and really look around to see how winners are built.
__________________
"We're very sorry, but we're too permissive to allow your sort".
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Camp Scrub
 
SkinFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stafford, VA
Age: 54
Posts: 49
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
The thing that gets me is that, after 10 years of mediocrity, you would think that Snyder would look at how things are being done and say... hmmmmm how are franchises that are consistently successful run? What are the models that acheive success? Generally, what is the level of owner involvement for successful teams?

Perhaps he has done this, I just don't know. I don't think he has. I remember an article where he was asked if he thinks the Ravens might be a good model (back around the time they were winning a SB and constantly restocking their team with young talent) and his response being something along the lines of "What could I possibly learn from them??

I really am not on the trash Dan bandwagon - I don't want the team sold (the devil you don't know is worse than the one you do).

I just want the dumb little jerk to wake up, swallow his pride, do some serious self examination and really look around to see how winners are built.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure Danny models himself after Jerry Jones. The problem here being that Jerry Jones played football at a pretty high level through college, so he knows the game. DS has only dreamed of playing football
__________________
GM First
SkinFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I disagree with Tucker when he says, "If you were the owner of an NFL team, would you take a backseat and decline to have significant input on all of the football decisions? I didn't think so." At my job I have hired others who have expertise in fields that I don't. Even though I could get involved with their work, I don't at all - I let them be free to do their jobs as they see fit. After all, the reason they were hired is that they know things that I don't and from this point of view my meddling with their jobs would erase the reason for hiring them to begin with. Then again, I don't have $1 billion of mine on the line and we are not playing a game at my work. But I still think that the idea that owners inevitably will meddle holds no merit. In fact, projecting from my experience, the more an owner gets involved, the dumber he or she is.
Yes. This is what most successful business owners throughout the entire world do. That's no secret. My boss would never dream of doing my job, because he is not qualified in any way whatsoever. That was a weak argument by Tucker.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Special Teams
 
Mc2guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burke, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 287
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

First, name one industry where the owner of a company (be it a private owner or a board of directors on a public company) didn't influence the operation of that company? Never.

Is this any different than Alan Mullaly, a Boeing executive hired to head up Ford in 2006, telling his "car guys" that they needed to re-engineer the Ford 500 and bring back the Taurus name? No.

I work for a mid-sized company that is privately owned, and the owner/ceo has his hands in EVERYTHING. Is it the best or most efficient way to do it, probably not, but it's his company and he can do as he pleases, even if it hurts our profitability. He is a great man in his own respects, but he meddles in things associated with product development where he has no experience or expertise. It is common and I have friends that work at other businesses with the same problem.

No one I can point to with a financial interest in the operation of a company is going to be completely "hands-off". Some might be able to stay out of the way most of the time, but their input will always be felt.

Dan is no different. The fact that you don't hear about it that much in the NFL is a testament to excellent media management on other clubs and how "bad" Dan is at it, not that he is the only one doing it.
Mc2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,855
Re: Flawed owner involvement is one of worst-kept secrets in sports

It's in my business experience that 99% of businesses out there has an owner or owner/s that know absolutley Jack about how to keep the business going, and or profitable. The way people off-set that is to hire a competent staff. Snyder will never learn how to be a football guy, but he could at least start assembling a good staff. That is something Gibbs could help him with....
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30114 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25