Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Our next coach??

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #496
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,256
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Without a doubt. He'd be my first choice. Behind him, probably Mike Holmgren, Marty (though that won't happen). Second tier guys for me would be Fassel, Mariucci, Gruden, Dungy. On my "Hell No" list is Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm.

What about you?
What don't you like about Cowher? What has convinced you about Shanahan?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #497
Another Year, another mess.
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,573
Re: Our next coach??

people really need to realize that your not going to make Snyder sell the team. This is a passion for him. He is like us, he is a whole hearted fan as well as the owner. So we need to focus on what type of situation will work with him in it. He is the one piece of the equation that will not change.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #498
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 90,432
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Without a doubt. He'd be my first choice. Behind him, probably Mike Holmgren, Marty (though that won't happen). Second tier guys for me would be Fassel, Mariucci, Gruden, Dungy. On my "Hell No" list is Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm.

What about you?
Honestly I'm undecided as far as who I would want, a few weeks ago I was in favor of Gruden, but it's looking like he'll be in the booth for another year at the least. Marty would be a strong choice but from all indications he's simply not interested in coming back. Ideally I would prefer to see a GM named first and go from there. But I doubt we'll see that happen.

I do think that Shanahan is a very strong possibility. If I was handicapping it I would say he's got to be the favorite.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #499
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 10,675
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Honestly I'm undecided as far as who I would want, a few weeks ago I was in favor of Gruden, but it's looking like he'll be in the booth for another year at the least. Marty would be a strong choice but from all indications he's simply not interested in coming back. Ideally I would prefer to see a GM named first and go from there. But I doubt we'll see that happen.

I do think that Shanahan is a very strong possibility. If I was handicapping it I would say he's got to be the favorite.
yes...Yes...YES TO THE HEAVENS!! HERE MY PLEA???? yes...GM first
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #500
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,979
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Without a doubt. He'd be my first choice. Behind him, probably Mike Holmgren, Marty (though that won't happen). Second tier guys for me would be Fassel, Mariucci, Gruden, Dungy. On my "Hell No" list is Bill Cowher and Russ Grimm.

What about you?
As you noted, Mike Holmgren and Marty arent coaching ANYWHERE in 2009. The same applies to Gruden and Dungy. So, then, we're left with the following coaches, which you rank in this order: Shanahan, Fassel/Mariucci and Cowher/Grimm.

Lets take a look at these guys, shall we?

Name / Wins / Losses / Win % / Comments

Mike Shanahan / 146 / 98 / .598 / Won two superbowls in '97 and '98 with Elway. With the exception of the 2005 season, Shanahan hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade. In a "what have you done for me lately league," Shanahan hasn't done anything in recent history to justify giving him total control of our franchise.

Jim Fassel / 58 / 53 / .522 / Only 1 superbowl appearance (2007 season) when he lost to the Giants in Superbowl. That season aside, his team never won a playoff game. In seven years, his team average a record slightly above .500. He has a proven record of mediocrity in the NFL. Yes, his team just won the UFL title, but that whole league is a joke. There are only 4 teams, for goodness sakes.

Steve Mariucci / 72 / 67 / .518 / Has never appeard in the superbowl. The best one of his teams ever did was lose to the packers in '97 in the NFC championship game. Now, if you wanted to forgive his years in Detroit because he was working under Matt Millen, his record with the 49ers was pretty good (57 / 39 .594). However, when you consider who he'd be working for here, i think we'd be more likely to see Lion-esque performances from his teams.

Russ Grimm / 0 / 0 / 0 / He used to be a Hog. Thats it.

Bill Cowher / 149 / 90 / .623 / He has the best record of any head coach available. He also has the longest sample-size to look at - 15 years. In that time, his team made the playoffs 10 times. 9 of those times, his team had 1st round byes. 7 of those times, his team appeared in the AFC Championship game. What this means is that 50% of the time, his team was one of the top 4 in the NFL. He appeared in 2 superbowls and won the most recent. The man wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

So, what exactly is it about excellence that you don't like?
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #501
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 4,937
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Mike Shanahan / 146 / 98 / .598 / Won two superbowls in '97 and '98 with Elway. With the exception of the 2005 season, Shanahan hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade. In a "what have you done for me lately league," Shanahan hasn't done anything in recent history to justify giving him total control of our franchise.
BHA thats alil misleading on shanahan to try and prove your point.

2 SB wins but that was all elway and davis right? dungys was all manning, belichecks was all brady, shulas was all marino . .

the rate the broncos went to the playoffs under shanahan is alot better than weve done the past decade, with or without exceptions.

go skins!!
__________________
Life is brutal, but beautiful
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #502
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,979
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
BHA thats alil misleading on shanahan to try and prove your point.

2 SB wins but that was all elway and davis right? dungys was all manning, belichecks was all brady, shulas was all marino . .

the rate the broncos went to the playoffs under shanahan is alot better than weve done the past decade, with or without exceptions.

go skins!!
Its not misleading at all. Shany had TEN YEARS after Elway to do something. One of those years, the broncos made the AFC title game. 6 of those years the broncos failed to make the playoffs. in he remaining 3, shanahans broncos were one and done in the wild card round. I clearly said that this is a "what have you done for me lately" league and Shany hasnt done anything above mediocre lately. Should he be on Snyder's short list of coaches to interview? absolutely. Would I rather have him than Fassel? its a toss-up. But in no circumstances should Shanahan be at the top of anyone's list. In fact, if I were running the team and was "forced" to chose between giving shanahan total control and pairing up mooch with a proven, competent GM, i'd absolutely go with mooch. no question.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #503
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Posts: 10,634
Re: Our next coach??

Jim Fassel lost to the giants in the super bowl?
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #504
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Posts: 2,659
Re: Our next coach??

My list would be in this order:

1. Gruden -I know he's out.
2. Cowher- I like him because I think he has a good sense of what it takes to run a good football organization from his time in Pitt.
3. Shanahan- As others have mentioned...I like him as a coach but he seems to have the same free agent mentality that we need to get away from in our front office.
4. Grimm- I like obviously that he's a skin but he's also worked in that Pitt organization and would bring some of that experience. What i don't like about him is that he's never been a head coach and does not have the clout to keep Snyder from meddling. He would need to be in a package with a strong GM that had complete authority.
5. Greg Williams- I am assuming Vinny is gone here. I think he would be in the same situation as Grimm though...he won't get full control so if there is no strong GM in place it could be more of the same.
__________________
Section 116 Row 19

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #505
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,979
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Jim Fassel lost to the giants in the super bowl?
LOL, i'll make an edit.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #506
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,979
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
My list would be in this order:

1. Gruden -I know he's out.
2. Cowher- I like him because I think he has a good sense of what it takes to run a good football organization from his time in Pitt.
3. Shanahan- As others have mentioned...I like him as a coach but he seems to have the same free agent mentality that we need to get away from in our front office.
4. Grimm- I like obviously that he's a skin but he's also worked in that Pitt organization and would bring some of that experience. What i don't like about him is that he's never been a head coach and does not have the clout to keep Snyder from meddling. He would need to be in a package with a strong GM that had complete authority.
5. Greg Williams- I am assuming Vinny is gone here. I think he would be in the same situation as Grimm though...he won't get full control so if there is no strong GM in place it could be more of the same.
I like your list and the general order of it. Mine would go Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, Greg Williams, Mooch, Shanahan, Fassel, Jerry Gray, and The Field (which includes several offensive coordinators out there like Russ Grimm). In the event we went with the field, we would need atleast I'd want atleast proven playcallers on the coaching staff (as opposed to, you know, the zero we had when Zorn was hired).
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #507
MVP
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 10,239
Re: Our next coach??

Surprise, surprise, won't be Holmgren.

Holmgren would like to talk return to Seahawks - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #508
Pro Bowl
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Our next coach??

Does anybody else think the GM position is more important for us than HC at this point?

...I don't really know that many GM candidates. I would like to see who you guys think is best for GM?
__________________
24-34
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #509
Impact Rookie
 
Eknox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Flint,Mi
Posts: 528
Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Does anybody else think the GM position is more important for us than HC at this point?

...I don't really know that many GM candidates. I would like to see who you guys think is best for GM?
Yes, I agree the Goat we could do like Atlanta get a great GM and a good coach, and let him put the right talent in place for the coach. I wouldn't mind a turnaround like that.
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #510
Pro Bowl
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Our next coach??

Didn't Cowher once remark if he coached again it would be in Carolina...who btw is primed for a new coach after this season? Not totally sure when/where I read this but it totally is stuck in my mind.

...anyway I think it's absurd to daydream about great coaches coming to Redskins park if Snyder keeps Cerrato on the payroll anywhere and maintains the same incompetent FO. I mean Shanahan is the possible exception cuz that dude loves his money and might take the huge blemish to his resume (working in Snyder's circus) for a gigantic payday.
__________________
24-34
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.16577 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25