Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #46
Special Teams
 
mcarey032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 215
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Problem with the other backs is that they don't block nearly as well as Portis does. Other than that I was really surprised to see how well Betts and Cartwright played. They really showed up and we actually had a running game that took some pressure off of Jason Campbell unlike in games past where the running game was virtually non-existent.
mcarey032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #47
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,712
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well at least on this game I would lay the blame on the defense not being able to hold up and for having game injuries catch up at the end.
Maybe if they could play with a lead just once. Not surprising that the D is starting to wear down after having to play with that pathetic Offense all year.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #48
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,236
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

I noticed too that we were more effective with the run when Betts and Rock were in. Can't say it is all of Portis's issue there is a lot more going on but it did make me wonder if it is not time to start relying on others.

Loved seeing all the anti Snyder/Vinny signs at the Georgia Dome!
__________________
F#$% the Cowpukes!
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #49
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,301
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
We're too financially vested in him to do either of those. The only we can hope for is that the CBA doesn't get signed and we go into an uncapped year where we can release players with no ill effect.

I don't think this is a complete reflection on Portis's ability. From the looks of it we made adjustments at half and didn't give up on the run. Atlanta seemed prepared for some pass heavy offense so we could get back into the game.

We did manage to run better in the 2nd half though. I can't completely put that on Portis given the circumstances.
That's a good point -- we all talk as though it isn't going to be signed.

But what if they do sign it? That's going to crush the dreams of quite a few Redskins fans, and those within the organization too.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #50
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,932
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

I think people today realized it for the first time. Portis is holding us back because he isn't as quick as he used to be and he can't find the holes. The allegedly poor o-line that can't block for CP sure looked good yesterday when Betts and Cartwright were eating up yards...

This could be a blessing in disguise for the redskins if CP is out for a few games. Betts sure looked good.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #51
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 84,611
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Above all, the OL is holding this team back. That's been the story all year. Let's not get distracted based on one half where we ran the ball effectively.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #52
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

clinton portis has gone over 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and has nearly 500 yards this season already behind the offensive line that is giving jason campbell fits

maybe im missing the big picture as an outsider but it seems like this is a case of disappointed fans looking for a person to blame the season on

i know a couple of you guys said he isnt the best player on the team, so i was wondering who you guys thought is the best player?
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #53
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
clinton portis has gone over 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and has nearly 500 yards this season already behind the offensive line that is giving jason campbell fits

maybe im missing the big picture as an outsider but it seems like this is a case of disappointed fans looking for a person to blame the season on

i know a couple of you guys said he isnt the best player on the team, so i was wondering who you guys thought is the best player?
I think if you look at a pound for pound, I'd say either Orakpo or Andre Carter. Well, I'd throw London Fletcher in there too. But right now, I'm leaning towards Orakpo as the best Redskin.

He'll also probably end up getting DROY.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #54
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I think if you look at a pound for pound, I'd say either Orakpo or Andre Carter. Well, I'd throw London Fletcher in there too. But right now, I'm leaning towards Orakpo as the best Redskin.

He'll also probably end up getting DROY.
really? a rookie outside LB that gets about 3 tackles per game is better than an all pro running back? nah im not eating that

london fletcher would've been a better argument but if thats the best then im completely biased towards clinton portis

i have a lot of respect for players who do their work and get very little media attention....portis is one of those guys but i guess im completely missing the point
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #55
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,571
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
really? a rookie outside LB that gets about 3 tackles per game is better than an all pro running back? nah im not eating that

london fletcher would've been a better argument but if thats the best then im completely biased towards clinton portis

i have a lot of respect for players who do their work and get very little media attention....portis is one of those guys but i guess im completely missing the point
You are completely missing the point. As much as I want to like Portis it's kinda hard to have much respect for him. Granted, he's not a Chad Johnson or T.O. or L. Johnson or any other locker room cancer; but he has had his share of situations where he causes controversy. Portis has twice had verbal/media spats with coaches (Gibbs and Zorn), he seems to have a close (or used to) relationship with Snyder and many feel that this allows him to act the way he is; he doesn't practice; he threw Sellers under the bus and demanded that he'd be benched.

Portis has been a great player and as a fan I will never forget what he has done for the team. However, he lacks the leadership and discipline to be the face of the franchise, and unfortunately he seems to be the face of the franchise.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #56
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
really? a rookie outside LB that gets about 3 tackles per game is better than an all pro running back? nah im not eating that

london fletcher would've been a better argument but if thats the best then im completely biased towards clinton portis

i have a lot of respect for players who do their work and get very little media attention....portis is one of those guys but i guess im completely missing the point
And he also has, what, six sacks this year. And he constantly get's pressure on the QB. Yeah, I'm sticking with BO. Umm..Clinton Portis is hardly a pro bowl running back anymore. I bet if Portis got cut today, only a handful of teams would try to pick him up as evidence of that.

I think you could make an argument for Fletch, but I think Orakpo is having more of an impact season, where as Fletch is more consistent and steady at what he does.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #57
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
You are completely missing the point. As much as I want to like Portis it's kinda hard to have much respect for him. Granted, he's not a Chad Johnson or T.O. or L. Johnson or any other locker room cancer; but he has had his share of situations where he causes controversy. Portis has twice had verbal/media spats with coaches (Gibbs and Zorn), he seems to have a close (or used to) relationship with Snyder and many feel that this allows him to act the way he is; he doesn't practice; he threw Sellers under the bus and demanded that he'd be benched.

Portis has been a great player and as a fan I will never forget what he has done for the team. However, he lacks the leadership and discipline to be the face of the franchise, and unfortunately he seems to be the face of the franchise.
fwiw....the outside world doesnt get to look at all the problems that you say portis is causing....im sure as a fan you cant help but look down on him for creating problems all by himself but look at the franchise as a whole

the entire thing is a mess.....the owner is goof....the GM is falling apart.....the head coach is getting called out and getting relieved of his duties as a head coach......remember all of these opinions are from an outsider looking in

he is doing the same thing that you guys are doing IMO......blaming everything on everybody until something is done.....its unfortunate to see such a proud franchise fall apart so quickly but change needs to happen quickly and it needs to start from the top down......the players are not as much the problem as the FO is

the one thing the organization is doing is keeping all these little outbursts in house because like i said........i had no idea about any of his actions off the field
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #58
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
And he also has, what, six sacks this year. And he constantly get's pressure on the QB. Yeah, I'm sticking with BO. Umm..Clinton Portis is hardly a pro bowl running back anymore. I bet if Portis got cut today, only a handful of teams would try to pick him up as evidence of that.

I think you could make an argument for Fletch, but I think Orakpo is having more of an impact season, where as Fletch is more consistent and steady at what he does.
5.5 sacks on the year with 2 of them coming against atlanta

im not going to discount what orakpo has done but 5.5 sacks isnt that impressive around the league.......there are 10 players around the league with more sacks and 3 tied with 5.5

clinton portis is currently 14th in rushing in the league and considering he got injured against the falcons and didnt get to increase his total, id say he is doing a fine job

portis was a pro bowler last season......he was an all pro last season......he has only lost a step IMO because the franchise itself has lost a step
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #59
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
fwiw....the outside world doesnt get to look at all the problems that you say portis is causing....im sure as a fan you cant help but look down on him for creating problems all by himself but look at the franchise as a whole

the entire thing is a mess.....the owner is goof....the GM is falling apart.....the head coach is getting called out and getting relieved of his duties as a head coach......remember all of these opinions are from an outsider looking in

he is doing the same thing that you guys are doing IMO......blaming everything on everybody until something is done.....its unfortunate to see such a proud franchise fall apart so quickly but change needs to happen quickly and it needs to start from the top down......the players are not as much the problem as the FO is

the one thing the organization is doing is keeping all these little outbursts in house because like i said........i had no idea about any of his actions off the field
Just to be clear, Portis is by no stretch a trouble maker, disgruntled employee, or a locker room cancer. Some of his comments and the timing of them may be questionable, but I don't think there's a Redskin or very few Redskins fans that would question his heart and motivation and commitment to the team.

I think his production on the field and where he stands with the team are two separate arguments. I personally think he's done as an athlete, but I also believe he loves being a Redskin.

But this is what you get when you're a losing team; everything is magnified. There's an old saying that winning cures all. When the Redskins were winning, Portis was pretty much the same guy you see right now. I don't think he's changed at all.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #60
Camp Scrub
 
1divdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Above all, the OL is holding this team back. That's been the story all year. Let's not get distracted based on one half where we ran the ball effectively.
yup... 5 first half sacks... cant all be blamed on campbell. o-line is an epic fail this season, and campbell and portis are taking heat for it (dont get me wrong though, im still not a huge JC fan)
1divdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32876 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25