Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #61
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,215
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Portis isn't our top player but with our OL in shambles it's tough to tell how much is on him vs. the line. Plus he's had some lingering ankle issues that have probably slowed him down.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #62
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Portis isn't our top player but with our OL in shambles it's tough to tell how much is on him vs. the line. Plus he's had some lingering ankle issues that have probably slowed him down.
im one of the guys that believes the running game is based solely on the offensive lines ability to block......every running back in the NFL is talented but the great running backs are usually the ones with the good blockers in front.....for instance

shaun alexander
LT
Emmitt Smith
Adrian Peterson

im not trying to take anything away from them but there is a rumor going around about after RBs turn 30 they go downhill......the truth is that after a RB plays in the league for 6 to 8 years they turn 30......the team is not the same after 6 to 8 years

the offensive line is not the same after 6 to 8 years.....the coaches are usually not the same after 6 to 8 years

RBs dont automatically fall on the slippery slope.......it takes a series of events for the RB to drop off....and its usually not the RBs fault
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #63
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
5.5 sacks on the year with 2 of them coming against atlanta

im not going to discount what orakpo has done but 5.5 sacks isnt that impressive around the league.......there are 10 players around the league with more sacks and 3 tied with 5.5

clinton portis is currently 14th in rushing in the league and considering he got injured against the falcons and didnt get to increase his total, id say he is doing a fine job

portis was a pro bowler last season......he was an all pro last season......he has only lost a step IMO because the franchise itself has lost a step
Look, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. Are you thinking about putting Portis on your fantasy team or something? Clinton could break out next week for a buck fifty and I'd feel the same. It's just plain old wear and tear. He's knees are wearing out, his ankles are bothering him, and as a consequence he's lost a step or two. He ain't what he used to be and he's not by a long shot the best Redskin. Period. But that's just my opinion.

Even if ends up with a thousand yards this year, so what?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #64
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Look, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. Are you thinking about putting Portis on your fantasy team or something? Clinton could break out next week for a buck fifty and I'd feel the same. It's just plain old wear and tear. He's knees are wearing out, his ankles are bothering him, and as a consequence he's lost a step or two. He ain't what he used to be and he's not by a long shot the best Redskin. Period. But that's just my opinion.

Even if ends up with a thousand yards this year, so what?
im not trying to get at anything other than saying you guys are jumping the guns on arguably your best player

if portis gets over 1000 yards it proves he hasnt lost his ability to run the ball....it proves that even tho you're not a fan, that the hate on him is pretty much unjustified.......there are backs all around the league that would kill for a 1000 yard season

portis has rushed for over 1000 yards in 6 of his 7.5 seasons....im not sure why you dont think hes lost a step when last season he was only 13 yards short of having his 4th 1500 yard season in 7 seasons last year
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #65
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
5.5 sacks on the year with 2 of them coming against atlanta

im not going to discount what orakpo has done but 5.5 sacks isnt that impressive around the league.......there are 10 players around the league with more sacks and 3 tied with 5.5

clinton portis is currently 14th in rushing in the league and considering he got injured against the falcons and didnt get to increase his total, id say he is doing a fine job

portis was a pro bowler last season......he was an all pro last season......he has only lost a step IMO because the franchise itself has lost a step
I would call leading all rookies in sacks impressive.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #66
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I would call leading all rookies in sacks impressive.
sure.....defensive rookie of the year? probably not because he only has 26 tackles on the season

he has shawn merrimanitis.......good pass rusher, not good at much else....at least statistically thats what he looks like

brian cushing has 78 tackles for houston

actually......london fletcher has 75 tackles including a sack

andre carter has 1 sack more than orakpo and 10 more tackles
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #67
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,716
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
clinton portis has gone over 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and has nearly 500 yards this season already behind the offensive line that is giving jason campbell fits

maybe im missing the big picture as an outsider but it seems like this is a case of disappointed fans looking for a person to blame the season on

i know a couple of you guys said he isnt the best player on the team, so i was wondering who you guys thought is the best player?
Portis is one of the few backs that gets almost ALL of his team's carries. Most teams are smart enough to platoon their RBs, thus utilizing all of their weapons, keeping their personnel fresh all season and giving opposing Defenses more to prepare for. There are several teams with 2 RBs better than Portis.

Portis' numbers are not impressive at all, especially considering how much he gets paid. Running Back is one of the most irrelevant positions in football, yet the Skins highest paid player on Offense is a Running Back. No wonder there's no depth across the O line. Cheap, young and hungry is what your RB should be.
__________________
I am a system poster.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #68
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

I was about to post a thread about Betts till I saw this one. Betts, who some here say sucks, looked the same as he always has to me - quick to the hole, straight ahead runner, but sometimes lost in protection. I was always surprised when people here said he'd gotten slow. He just hasn't had many carries.

He looks better than CP, though I know the o line woke up for the 2nd half & he benefited. Every year the coaches, whether Al Saunders in the past or S. Smith this year, say in camp how good he looks & how they want to use him. Then come game time he gets in on 3rd downs + 1 or 2 carries. It's never made sense to me, he deserves more carries even when CP is healthy.

I honestly think Portis getting all the carries has something to do w/his relationship to the Danny. Otherwise, this year it just doesn't make much sense. Regardless of the poor o line, he's looked slow & indecisive.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #69
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
im not trying to get at anything other than saying you guys are jumping the guns on arguably your best player

if portis gets over 1000 yards it proves he hasnt lost his ability to run the ball....it proves that even tho you're not a fan, that the hate on him is pretty much unjustified.......there are backs all around the league that would kill for a 1000 yard season

portis has rushed for over 1000 yards in 6 of his 7.5 seasons....im not sure why you dont think hes lost a step when last season he was only 13 yards short of having his 4th 1500 yard season in 7 seasons last year
Jumping the gun? Hating on Portis? Dude, what are you talking about? We've been watching Portis for five years+. It's not like we woke up last week and said Portis is done. It is what it is. The stats you point out is precisely the reason he's not as good as he used to be. Running backs, generally speaking, have a five year shelf life. And the more you pound them, the more you cut into their effectiveness later down the road.

A 1,000 yard season is hardly the metric for good backs anymore. It's probably closer to 1,300-1,400 with another couple of hundreds yards in receiving to go with it. Those are the numbers of marquee running back in the NFL. Nowadays you can throw any old Joe out there and gain 1,000 yards. It means nothing.

I don't think either team playing in last year's Super Bowl had a thousand yard rusher. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #70
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Portis is one of the few backs that gets almost ALL of his team's carries. Most teams are smart enough to platoon their RBs, thus utilizing all of their weapons, keeping their personnel fresh all season and giving opposing Defenses more to prepare for. There are several teams with 2 RBs better than Portis.

Portis' numbers are not impressive at all, especially considering how much he gets paid. Running Back is one of the most irrelevant positions in football, yet the Skins highest paid player on Offense is a Running Back. No wonder there's no depth across the O line. Cheap, young and hungry is what your RB should be.
portis is getting paid to get all the carries.....other teams split up the carries because they split up the money......portis has earned his paycheck and his carries

his numbers are not impressive? does he have to lead the league in rushing for his numbers to be impressive? does he have to break 10 tackles every play for him to be impressive? the team is terrible, not portis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Jumping the gun? Hating on Portis? Dude, what are you talking about? We've been watching Portis for five years+. It's not like we woke up last week and said Portis is done. It is what it is. The stats you point out is precisely the reason he's not as good as he used to be. Running backs, generally speaking, have a five year shelf life. And the more you pound them, the more you cut into their effectiveness later down the road.

A 1,000 yard season is hardly the metric for good backs anymore. It's probably closer to 1,300-1,400 with another couple of hundreds yards in receiving to go with it. Those are the numbers of marquee running back in the NFL. Nowadays you can throw any old Joe out there and gain 1,000 yards. It means nothing.

I don't think either team playing in last year's Super Bowl had a thousand yard rusher. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
in fact......the only backup in the league that has more yardage than him is ahmad bradshaw......every other back in front of him is the main benificiary of carries on their respective team.....and only 2 have less carries than him.....portis is an elite back in this league whether you think he is or not....i shouldnt have to explain this to redskins fans

you guys say that 1000 yards isnt a good measuring stick for running backs anymore so what is? if hes getting over 1400 yards is that enough? what is enough? only twice in his entire career has he ever failed to reach 1300 yards....one of them was a 1200 yard season and the other he only played 8 games

you guys are missing my point completely......for some reason you think he is washed up but just last season he was 4th in rushing behind only AP, michael turner, and deangello williams.....3 of the elite backs in the league right now

portis is capable of carrying your team but because you guys are losing you are failing to see his value

normally i couldnt care less if another team bashes one of their own players.....but this is completely unjustified....you guys are just looking for scapegoats but you are looking in the wrong places

landry? portis? come on....they are 2 of your better players....it shouldnt take a saints fan to point that out
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #71
Playmaker
 
sportscurmudgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,159
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
We've talked a lot about Portis and the various problems he presents, but with all the other many thing going wrong with this team he's just a small portion. Discipline is a serious issue with this team.

Portis is part of the reason that dicipline is lacking. When/if anything goes along in a way he doesn't like, he calls Danny Boy and puts pressure on the coach/coaches who are doing things he doesn't like.


He also complained about the abilities of his OL last year saying that he would love to run behind a good OL for a season or two. That really helped the coaches form a solid and cohesive unit.


Clinton Portis was a very talented running back. He is seriously on the decline now. At the top of his game, it was probably worth putting up with his "diva act" because of his productivity on Sunday. Now he is still a diva and his productivity is headed down.


A good message for the rest of these guys would be to dress Portis and then not play him a single down in a game. But it won't happen...
__________________
The Sports Curmudgeon
www.sportscurmudgeon.com
But don't get me wrong, I love sports...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #72
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 59
Posts: 863
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

I love what Portis has done in the past. He is not the back he used to be. It was obvious that the running game picked up when he left. Betts and Cartwright were hitting the holes at full speed, not falling down. I think Portis time in Washington is over. Redskin 2010 wish list, tackle, guard, quarterback, running back, linebacker, free safety.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #73
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
portis is getting paid to get all the carries.....other teams split up the carries because they split up the money......portis has earned his paycheck and his carries

his numbers are not impressive? does he have to lead the league in rushing for his numbers to be impressive? does he have to break 10 tackles every play for him to be impressive? the team is terrible, not portis



in fact......the only backup in the league that has more yardage than him is ahmad bradshaw......every other back in front of him is the main benificiary of carries on their respective team.....and only 2 have less carries than him.....portis is an elite back in this league whether you think he is or not....i shouldnt have to explain this to redskins fans

you guys say that 1000 yards isnt a good measuring stick for running backs anymore so what is? if hes getting over 1400 yards is that enough? what is enough?

you guys are missing my point completely......for some reason you think he is washed up but just last season he was 4th in rushing behind only AP, michael turner, and deangello williams.....3 of the elite backs in the league right now

portis is capable of carrying your team but because you guys are losing you are failing to see his value

normally i couldnt care less if another team bashes one of their own players.....but this is completely unjustified....you guys are just looking for scapegoats but you are looking in the wrong places

landry? portis? come on....they are 2 of your better players....it shouldnt take a saints fan to point that out
I don't remember ever talking to you before today, so I don't know who you're accusing of bashing. I have my opinion and you have yours. That's fine. Go through my posts and tell me where I bashed Clinton Portis. And for those that are bashing him, who really cares. People are upset. We come here to vent. Portis is a big boy and we greatly appreciate all that he's done as a Washington Redskin.

But I find it ironic that a New Orleans Saints fan, a perennial loser with a history of fans wearing bags on their faces, calling their team the ain'ts, not one Super Bowl appearance --ever-- and an overrated Reggie Bush, would come to a Redskin board and tell us what's bashing and what's not. But whatever fries your egg, I guess.

Let me make this as plain as possible for you.

Clinton Portis is no longer an elite running back in the National Footbal League. He's not even the core of this team anymore.

You can dig as deep into the stats and spin the fan psychology here all all you want. Are there contributing factors to Portis' decline, of course there are. Skim the first three or four threads and you'll find plenty. No one here is denying that. But, in my opinion, Clinton Portis' day of carrying this offense are over. Does he have another 1,000 yard season in him, perhaps. Centerpiece of the offense, no.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #74
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,872
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
huh??
this offseason someone made a thread saying portis isnt worth the money or headache. i kinda agreed with him saying the skisn were dumb to re-negogiate his K and guarantee so much money to a runningback (which seems to be the easiest position to replace nowadays).

i also said Cp only gets as many yards as the Oline clears for him.

i and the OP were greeted with a bunch of "if you think portis is a prob then you dont know football" or "yeah lets blame our 1500 yd back" responses.

idk its alil frustrating to be criticized for stating an opinion then (seemingly) having the masses who once criticized your football iq start agreeing with you.

no big deal, i was drunk and alil aggitated by the game.

i also think portis and moss dont try 110% for the past few seasons and i question their heart compared to guys like fletcher. i am greeted with responses like "there is no stat for heart" or "its just silly to question a guys heart" . .

basically this season has made me a lil jaded and i do apologize.

go skins!!
over the mountain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #75
Special Teams
 
CantonLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Re: Portis is a BIG problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I don't remember ever talking to you before today, so I don't know who you're accusing of bashing. I have my opinion and you have yours. That's fine. Go through my posts and tell me where I bashed Clinton Portis. And for those that are bashing him, who really cares. People are upset. We come here to vent. Portis is a big boy and we greatly appreciate all that he's done as a Washington Redskin.
i wasnt responding to just you.....i was making a note to everyone who was bashing portis

Quote:
But I find it ironic that a New Orleans Saints fan, a perennial loser with a history of fans wearing bags on their faces, calling their team the ain'ts, not one Super Bowl appearance --ever-- and an overrated Reggie Bush, would come to a Redskin board and tell us what's bashing and what's not. But whatever fries your egg, I guess.
lol.....first of all....i didnt get a chance to live through the bag days but ive done my share of bashing players on my favorite teams just like the rest of you....im here because i was invited by a nice poster who stumbled on to my home site blackandgold.com last season.....i cant recall his username because the site went down and we lost all of our private and public messages.....i thought i would be able to offer an outsiders view of things for everyone and maybe put my 2 cents in where i could

i didnt mean to offend you......sorry for your team stinking this season
CantonLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.42529 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25