Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Landry is now a bust!

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #46
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,543
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
I agree completely about his tackling, it's been awful for 2 years now. He's more concerned about not getting trucked than making a good tackle. Even his play behind the line of scrimmage yesterday was a borderline horse-collar. I'd love to see him come up, break down and make a solid fundamental tackle but then again, outside of Fletcher, Orakpo and McIntosh nobody on our defense does that!

Reed is just a guy. Nothing special, he's a good 3rd safety but that's about all.


I agree but watch the guy tackle. He's fundamentally sound and he always gets the guy down.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,102
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
[/b]

I agree but watch the guy tackle. He's fundamentally sound and he always gets the guy down.
Reed has been our best safety by a wide margin this year. He is without question the surest tackler in our secondary.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #48
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisto2010 View Post
Yes, Landry needs to return to SS. We didn't draft him to play FS. But apparently some of our fans do.
Agreed. I just hope people aren't saying in a yr or two that Orakpo needs to be cut cause he has not panned out at SLB. Landry was drafted to be the SS where he was in college. Due to ST's murder Landry was moved to FS cause he was the best we had at the time. At this point I would put him back at SS and move a CB maybe even smoot to FS. I know I'll get ripped for the Smoot comment but Smoot is getting old and can't keep up with the young guys running down the field, but if he had to sit down field and simply move to the side the ball is coming to he might not be too bad. Other wise find someone with some speed and tackling ability for FS.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #49
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,194
Re: Landry is now a bust!

landry is not a bust...yet, he needs one more year if he doesn't produce next year no matter if he is at fs or ss i will consider him a bust considering where we drafted him and who else was available, if we would have drafted him say 20th this conversation wouldn't be going on right now
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #50
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,102
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Agreed. I just hope people aren't saying in a yr or two that Orakpo needs to be cut cause he has not panned out at SLB. Landry was drafted to be the SS where he was in college. Due to ST's murder Landry was moved to FS cause he was the best we had at the time. At this point I would put him back at SS and move a CB maybe even smoot to FS. I know I'll get ripped for the Smoot comment but Smoot is getting old and can't keep up with the young guys running down the field, but if he had to sit down field and simply move to the side the ball is coming to he might not be too bad. Other wise find someone with some speed and tackling ability for FS.
I'm on record saying that I HATE Blache's use of Orakpo. The guy is a D-lineman, plain and simple. It reminds me of Dallas trying to make Randy White a MLB coming out of Maryland. That didn't work out well until he was moved to his natural DT and went on to a HOF career.

Also for the record, I want Kareem Moore to get more playing time at FS, allowing Laron to play SS.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #51
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,917
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Agreed. I just hope people aren't saying in a yr or two that Orakpo needs to be cut cause he has not panned out at SLB. Landry was drafted to be the SS where he was in college. Due to ST's murder Landry was moved to FS cause he was the best we had at the time. At this point I would put him back at SS and move a CB maybe even smoot to FS. I know I'll get ripped for the Smoot comment but Smoot is getting old and can't keep up with the young guys running down the field, but if he had to sit down field and simply move to the side the ball is coming to he might not be too bad. Other wise find someone with some speed and tackling ability for FS.
You always incorrectly say he was a SS at LSU. That is wrong.
According to LSU web sight (link below) and his college Bio LaRon Landry was a FS in college at LSU.
In his freshmen year he had 10 starts, his first career LSU start at CB. Then his second career start was at SS. Then for the final 8 games of his freshmen year he was starting FS . He remained the starter at FS for the remaining 3 years (Soph, jr. and sr. years).
LaRon Landry Bio - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #52
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,194
Re: Landry is now a bust!

the difference between ss and fs is not night and day it's not de to lb or lb to cb, being drafted that high he shold be a good enough talent to play either
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #53
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
the difference between ss and fs is not night and day it's not de to lb or lb to cb, being drafted that high he shold be a good enough talent to play either
Exactly. Why are we parsing the differences between the positions. I would argue for where we drafted this bum, he should be able to play either position. At the end of the day Landry is a football player. Football players, especially ones getting paid as much as Landry is, should know how to tackle. That's not asking too much of first round pick who plays in the National Football League. It just isn't

There are some quarterbacks I've seen tackle better in the open field than this guy.

As an aside, boy does this team makes me cranky.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #54
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
You always incorrectly say he was a SS at LSU. That is wrong.
According to LSU web sight (link below) and his college Bio LaRon Landry was a FS in college at LSU.
In his freshmen year he had 10 starts, his first career LSU start at CB. Then his second career start was at SS. Then for the final 8 games of his freshmen year he was starting FS . He remained the starter at FS for the remaining 3 years (Soph, jr. and sr. years).
LaRon Landry Bio - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics
Thank you for the correction. I have failed to go look at his college status and will admit this time around simply acted like a sheep when having seen other speaking about his play at FS and that he should be a SS. But I will say I thought the Skins hired him to be their SS cause they already had ST at FS. Landry was moved after ST's death to FS cause he was the best player we had for the position.

He has not lived up to the FS position. If he's not late getting to help cover the WR, he's failing to use fundamental tackling. Again I will get blasted for saying he should be a SS when he has terrible tackling skills, but I think he does better at the line of scrimage where Doughty does well. We need someone who has the speed to get from sideline to sideline and plays to actually hit someone.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #55
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Exactly. Why are we parsing the differences between the positions. I would argue for where we drafted this bum, he should be able to play either position. At the end of the day Landry is a football player. Football players, especially ones getting paid as much as Landry is, should know how to tackle. That's not asking too much of first round pick who plays in the National Football League. It just isn't

There are some quarterbacks I've seen tackle better in the open field than this guy.

As an aside, boy does this team makes me cranky.
I would argue that ST was an exception to the rules and had the speed to cover sideline to sideline and the size and weight behind him to hit like a LB. Landry is the size of most safeties, but does not have the speed to keep up with some #1 WR's out there. Watching him try to take down RB or WR's is basically watching him throw his body in the general direction and hope he hits something or slows it down. His tackling actually reminds me of how Smoot plays the CB position. They might make the tackle half the time the other half the opponant either side steps the tackle or leaps over them.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #56
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,986
Re: Landry is now a bust!

There's actually some big differences between the safety spots. To think there's not is a little naive.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that playing out of position for Landry is hurting him and perhaps it's time to move him back and admit he's not cut out for FS.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #57
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
the difference between ss and fs is not night and day it's not de to lb or lb to cb, being drafted that high he shold be a good enough talent to play either
I would agree with you if we played alot of 2 deep safety defenses.
But, we don't we play mostly single deep FS with the SS in the box.(Cover 1 & Cover 3)
In these defenses the FS role is sideline to sideline.
That's why we play the FS so far back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
.....but does not have the speed to keep up with some #1 WR's out there. Watching him try to take down RB or WR's is basically watching him throw his body in the general direction and hope he hits something or slows it down. His tackling actually reminds me of how Smoot plays the CB position. They might make the tackle half the time the other half the opponant either side steps the tackle or leaps over them.
Speed ain't the issue with LaRon (he's faster then most teams no.1 WR)and i don't have a problem with his coverage.
I agree 100% with your Smoot comparison when it comes to tackling.
Landry takes too many bad angles then lunges himself at the ball carrier making no real attempt to wrap them up, almost like a lame body check.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #58
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,194
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
There's actually some big differences between the safety spots. To think there's not is a little naive.

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say that playing out of position for Landry is hurting him and perhaps it's time to move him back and admit he's not cut out for FS.
there are differences but they are not huge all depends on the package

and like defensewins said this is his position he played it his whole college career

like i said he isn't a bust... yet give him one more year, he was 6th overall, being that high in the draft by your 4th year you need to put up or shut up

and side note if he crosses his arms after making a tackle that he should make, i would bench him, he misses way too many tackles, then he thinks he is the shit when he make a routine play, i don't think so
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #59
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,917
Re: Landry is now a bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
there are differences but they are not huge all depends on the package

and like defensewins said this is his position he played it his whole college career

like i said he isn't a bust... yet give him one more year, he was 6th overall, being that high in the draft by your 4th year you need to put up or shut up

and side note if he crosses his arms after making a tackle that he should make, i would bench him, he misses way too many tackles, then he thinks he is the shit when he make a routine play, i don't think so
I agree. He is our best safety by far. Who are you going to start in his place? Kareem Moore or Doughty? They were average in college.
The Redskins are the #1 defense in pass yardage allowed per game allowed 159.9 yards per game. Say what you want about his tackling and run support. In the pass game he is doing his job.
Mr. Landry is the leader of our secondary. His issues in the run game are easily correctable.
Safety can be a lot like Offensive lineman, in that if you do not hear his name they are playing well in the passing game. QB's throw away from good FS, so you might not hear their name in defending the pass. A tipped pass or an over thrown pass for a pick is when you usually hear the name of a good FS in the passing game. Right now the few good players we have are trying too hard because the are frustrated with our constant losing. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. We have very few of the good young ones. He can come back from this.
Who on this squad is playing lights out right now?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #60
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,669
Re: Landry is now a bust!

I just want to say that Ithink that Landry is no where near as bad as this thread makes him out to be but at the same time he is nowhere near the top tier at his position. If I had to regrade the 2007 draft I'd say Landry should have been a second round pick.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.70923 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25