Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,608
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

thanks for sharing! but c'mon..you gotta tell us some goodies. you don't have to quote anyone.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #17
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,325
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sounds like you guys had a great time together.

I prefer to drink my wine out of a paper bag. Twenty proof!

"Waiter, bring us a box of your finest wine!"
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,188
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Thanks for sharing this, sounds like an awesome experience. More importantly though, you're the beverage director of a restaurant group? I think you're my new best friend here. LOL.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
smootistheman
Guest
 
smootistheman's Avatar
 
Posts: n/a
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

How incredible and awesome for you. Happy that you had such a great experience that you can remember for a lifetime.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,204
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Can we move this to the Drunk thread where you can......spill your guts after a few to many?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

GMScud, glad to hear that someone else on the wp is into football AND wine. I'm sure there are others, but it's not often (maybe never?) that the 2 topics find there way to a wp thread.

That sounds like quite a time you had, those 2 guys seem like they are interesting enough to talk to about any no. of things. Some pro athletes I would rather not meet cause it might ruin my impression of them, but Collins would be an exception. Vermiel has always been a class act.

you may have already said, is his vineyard on the west coast? Does he open it to the public for tastings, tours, etc.? Is this his first bottling?
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,597
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
you may have already said, is his vineyard on the west coast? Does he open it to the public for tastings, tours, etc.? Is this his first bottling?
Vermeil Wines in Calistoga, CA next to St. Helena.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,118
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Collins played for Vermeil in KC, so that must have been very cool for him to see his old coach. Vermeil is notorious for the love he has for his players and the tears of love/pride he sheds when talking about them - you should have tried to get him to wax nostalgic about Todd. He was definitely a great coach and probably a better man. Thanks for the post - very cool stuff.

Last edited by SouperMeister; 11-10-2009 at 12:17 PM.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #24
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,879
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

I met Todd Collins a few years ago. He is a strange guy, but i mean that in a great way. He has quirks about him that reminded me much of my OCD-touched brother. He was super nice to us, and he kept calling me "bro" the whole time he talked to me. If i did not watch football or the redskins, i would have had no idea who he was, because he was so down to earth and just like a "normal" person.

And yeah, he is tall as hell and in great shape. He looks small on TV, but i am 5'10", and even at 6'3" he towered over me.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,889
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Dude, you seriously you have to spill the beans tomorrow. We want to know what did Vermeil have to say?
Dont worry Matty has ways to make people talk... Dont make him go Jack Bauer on you GM...
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Dude, you seriously you have to spill the beans tomorrow. We want to know what did Vermeil have to say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
Collins played for Vermeil in KC, so that must have been very cool for him to see his old coach. Vermeil is notorious for the love he has for his players and the tears of love/pride he sheds when talking about them - you should have tried to get him to wax nostalgic about Todd. He was definitely a great coach and probably a better man. Thanks for the post - very cool stuff.
Oh he was effusive in his praise of Todd. He said "I love this guy" more than once last night.

As far as what Coach and Todd said about the Redskins, sorry guys. It would pretty unprofessional of me to take what they said to me in a private room, off the record, and spill it on a message board that anyone on earth could read. Keep in mind this was a work function for me.

I can tell you that both Todd and Coach Vermeil talked a lot about quarterback play, and how the system and situation are just as crucial as the individual skills. Coach obviously loves Kurt Warner, and both guys talked a lot about how impressed they are with Drew Brees.

I tried to keep the conversation loose and cool, and I definitely didn't let on how enamored I was with their presence. In my experience guys like them would rather just be treated like regular dudes. We talked about wine and life just as much as we did football. They both love to fish, and Todd has a boat and mentioned something about Coast Guard certification. Coach said he liked Greg Kinnear's portrayal of him in "Invincible."

Probably the coolest part for me was when he talked about the phone call he got from Coach Gibbs prior to Al Saunders being hired. Obviously Vermeil gave Saunders high praise. He said Coach Gibbs is one of the "best men he's ever known." No surprise there. I had chills listening to him talk about Gibbs. It was amazing. One interesting thing Vermeil told me- he said he told Gibbs that Saunders would be great, but only if Gibbs "let him have the entire offense." Interesting that Gibbs didn't follow that advice.

Anyway, great night overall. Oh, I forgot to mention, John Burrell and Harrison Bernstein were there. John Burrell is head athletic trainer for the team. He took over for Bubba Tyer. Harrison is one of the strength and conditioning coaches. Both guys are really cool. I'd met Harrison before- his sister is good friends with my boss.

Since taking this job, I've had a beer with Kevin Blackistone, talked with Phil Chenier for a few hours (literally, no exaggeration), and then of course last night. Pretty cool.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,961
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Oh he was effusive in his praise of Todd. He said "I love this guy" more than once last night.

As far as what Coach and Todd said about the Redskins, sorry guys. It would pretty unprofessional of me to take what they said to me in a private room, off the record, and spill it on a message board that anyone on earth could read. Keep in mind this was a work function for me.

I can tell you that both Todd and Coach Vermeil talked a lot about quarterback play, and how the system and situation are just as crucial as the individual skills. Coach obviously loves Kurt Warner, and both guys talked a lot about how impressed they are with Drew Brees.

I tried to keep the conversation loose and cool, and I definitely didn't let on how enamored I was with their presence. In my experience guys like them would rather just be treated like regular dudes. We talked about wine and life just as much as we did football. They both love to fish, and Todd has a boat and mentioned something about Coast Guard certification. Coach said he liked Greg Kinnear's portrayal of him in "Invincible."

Probably the coolest part for me was when he talked about the phone call he got from Coach Gibbs prior to Al Saunders being hired. Obviously Vermeil gave Saunders high praise. He said Coach Gibbs is one of the "best men he's ever known." No surprise there. I had chills listening to him talk about Gibbs. It was amazing. One interesting thing Vermeil told me- he said he told Gibbs that Saunders would be great, but only if Gibbs "let him have the entire offense." Interesting that Gibbs didn't follow that advice.

Anyway, great night overall. Oh, I forgot to mention, John Burrell and Harrison Bernstein were there. John Burrell is head athletic trainer for the team. He took over for Bubba Tyer. Harrison is one of the strength and conditioning coaches. Both guys are really cool. I'd met Harrison before- his sister is good friends with my boss.

Since taking this job, I've had a beer with Kevin Blackistone, talked with Phil Chenier for a few hours (literally, no exaggeration), and then of course last night. Pretty cool.
Big fan of Chenier. He's a great local color guy. I don't think he could pull off a national job but at the local level he gives you everything that is good. Conversational and informed. Good all around.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Big fan of Chenier. He's a great local color guy. I don't think he could pull off a national job but at the local level he gives you everything that is good. Conversational and informed. Good all around.
Chenier didn't know Mike Miller's nickname is Spanky (T-mac gave him that moniker). When I told him he thought it was hilarious. He said he was gonna tell Buckhantz and use it during a game. I don't know if he has yet, but he said he was gonna give me credit on the air for telling him. I doubt it will happen, but anyway. Chenier was a cool cat for sure.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #29
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Oh he was effusive in his praise of Todd. He said "I love this guy" more than once last night.

As far as what Coach and Todd said about the Redskins, sorry guys. It would pretty unprofessional of me to take what they said to me in a private room, off the record, and spill it on a message board that anyone on earth could read. Keep in mind this was a work function for me.

I can tell you that both Todd and Coach Vermeil talked a lot about quarterback play, and how the system and situation are just as crucial as the individual skills. Coach obviously loves Kurt Warner, and both guys talked a lot about how impressed they are with Drew Brees.

I tried to keep the conversation loose and cool, and I definitely didn't let on how enamored I was with their presence. In my experience guys like them would rather just be treated like regular dudes. We talked about wine and life just as much as we did football. They both love to fish, and Todd has a boat and mentioned something about Coast Guard certification. Coach said he liked Greg Kinnear's portrayal of him in "Invincible."

Probably the coolest part for me was when he talked about the phone call he got from Coach Gibbs prior to Al Saunders being hired. Obviously Vermeil gave Saunders high praise. He said Coach Gibbs is one of the "best men he's ever known." No surprise there. I had chills listening to him talk about Gibbs. It was amazing. One interesting thing Vermeil told me- he said he told Gibbs that Saunders would be great, but only if Gibbs "let him have the entire offense." Interesting that Gibbs didn't follow that advice.

Anyway, great night overall. Oh, I forgot to mention, John Burrell and Harrison Bernstein were there. John Burrell is head athletic trainer for the team. He took over for Bubba Tyer. Harrison is one of the strength and conditioning coaches. Both guys are really cool. I'd met Harrison before- his sister is good friends with my boss.

Since taking this job, I've had a beer with Kevin Blackistone, talked with Phil Chenier for a few hours (literally, no exaggeration), and then of course last night. Pretty cool.
Did you tell him their was a guy who goes by Firstdown who loves to fish/boat and he could come here and PM me some time to go fishing. The Coast Guard Cert. is probably as a reserve and when they have a big event on the water they ask them to come out and help with boat trafic. The only other thing is when the CG comes on your boat to check safty equipment and gives you a little sticker for having all the safty stuff.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #30
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: My evening with Dick Vermeil and Todd Collins

gm, cool stuff. and thanks for sharing
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31126 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25