Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
thats what i don't get, 3-7, who gives a shit might as well play like your record stats, nothing to lose.

it's not like this season could get any worse unless snyder fires zorn and gives vinny a headset. i don't get why we don't play balls to the wall what are we holding back for, a top 5 pick?
Ok don't give the tiny man in the owner's box any ideas...file them under "The things we think about but do not say"
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I disagree with that assessment of the defense. If anything I think that the defense has kept us in games. They are top 5 in keeping teams out of the endzone. You can't honestly think they are going to shut out every NFL team, every time especially with the way the rules are set up to help offenses
And especially when you have the weapons that Philly does; on top of them getting 2 INTs
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,499
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

I know its on a bunch of people...but smack down on our 2 mintue offense at the end of games... I was on the AIM with Dasel and said "I'll be you my life this drive goes no more than four plays"... I mean when is the last time we have driven down to tie or win a game? I dont even put this on Campbell, because I honest to god can't remember the last time anyone in the orginazation did... I mean its just crazy... really not a whole lot of smack, but I just had to say that.
__________________
#21
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Registered User
 
The Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,662
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Does anybody really feel like we should seriously consider not trading or letting JC go after this season? Because I'm busting out and saying it, I think we shouldn't do anything with JC after the season and we should let the new coach/GM decide whether to keep him or not. Because he's been making more plays and playing like a good quarterback this season ever since he got a little o-line stability in front of him. I really think he's progressed this season despite the o-line hurting badly. He started off slow and yes obviously his two picks today hurt us, but he still makes a lot of positive plays and ever since the second half of the Atlanta game he's been looking pretty good.
I mean that's what a good franchise would do: let the legitimate decision-makers decide, as in a real GM and whoever the coach is next year. I still don't see any reason to believe that's how things will go...Snyder will still be the final say on everything. That said I think JC probably gets dumped or pushed to the backup (Collins gone for sure).
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #20
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I disagree with that assessment of the defense. If anything I think that the defense has kept us in games. They are top 5 in keeping teams out of the endzone. You can't honestly think they are going to shut out every NFL team, every time especially with the way the rules are set up to help offenses
We'll they've kept us in almost half our games now. They didn't give up any big plays against Dallas, Carolina, or Kansas City, and those losses are certainly not on the defense. But we won the Denver game largely in-spite of a bunch of defensive breakdowns.

Anecdotally, our defense "deserves" to have about 5 wins in 11 games. I'm defining this arbitrary designation by crediting them for wins where they gave up 1) no TD drives of 80 yards or longer, 2) no TD plays of 30 yards or longer, and 3) either (at least) one turnover or three sacks.

So, based only on the quality of the defense, we should be better than our record says we are, but still not a playoff team.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I know its on a bunch of people...but smack down on our 2 mintue offense at the end of games... I was on the AIM with Dasel and said "I'll be you my life this drive goes no more than four plays"... I mean when is the last time we have driven down to tie or win a game? I dont even put this on Campbell, because I honest to god can't remember the last time anyone in the orginazation did... I mean its just crazy... really not a whole lot of smack, but I just had to say that.
Good smack. We get inside the twenty and we change jerseys or something. It's like you it's coming, but you hope you're wrong.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,532
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And I might just be becoming a Ganther Gangsta. He's not a feature back but I love what he's brought to the table.
I agree. He does several things including running hard, with a purpose. I hope he stays with us.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #23
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,297
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

We had a chance to really take control of the game but Zorn showed no balls by playing for the 3 instead of taking a shot at the endzone. When you're 3-7 where's the "nothing to lose" mentality? I really didn't understand that thinking at all. That's the kind of thing I look at and say, Shanahan would have gone for the throat there no doubt. Zorn is just too soft.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #24
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
We had a chance to really take control of the game but Zorn showed no balls by playing for the 3 instead of taking a shot at the endzone. When you're 3-7 where's the "nothing to lose" mentality? I really didn't understand that thinking at all. That's the kind of thing I look at and say, Shanahan would have gone for the throat there no doubt. Zorn is just too soft.
Zorn has always coached as if he has an elite defense, which has cost him more than a game over the years.

For some defenses, you can go up 8 and kick to them, knowing that even if they miraculously get into the end zone, you still have a good chance to keep them out on the conversion. But with a majority of NFL defenses, the offense needs to put the game away when it has the chance. More and more these days, coaches that leave it to their defenses are getting burned.

It's also the reason our PPG figures are so consistently low: Zorn always plays the clock in that situation rather than the score. It's not right or wrong, in nature, but it drives me crazy.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #25
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,160
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
We had a chance to really take control of the game but Zorn showed no balls by playing for the 3 instead of taking a shot at the endzone. When you're 3-7 where's the "nothing to lose" mentality? I really didn't understand that thinking at all. That's the kind of thing I look at and say, Shanahan would have gone for the throat there no doubt. Zorn is just too soft.
I completely agree with you on this point. I came away from the game with the feeling that Zorn really let his players down by not trusting them enough to go for it at that point. Had we scored a touchdown there, I think we probably would have won the game.

I find it interesting that it was Vinny's intent to replace Zorn as the play-caller, yet Zorn took over the play-calling at this critical juncture and, IMO, blew the game.

To me, Zorn's taking control of play-calling at key points in this game to poor effect and his conservative coaching decisions in the Cowboys game, which I think contributed to that loss, have sealed his fate. After these two painful division losses, there's little doubt left in my mind that Zorn will be fired at the end of the season.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #26
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
We had a chance to really take control of the game but Zorn showed no balls by playing for the 3 instead of taking a shot at the endzone. When you're 3-7 where's the "nothing to lose" mentality? I really didn't understand that thinking at all. That's the kind of thing I look at and say, Shanahan would have gone for the throat there no doubt. Zorn is just too soft.
That's funny, b/c that's who we thought Zorn was, an "anti" Gibbs, attacking offense. Zorn has morphed into a conservative offensive playcaller after 2 years in DC.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711 View Post
I know its on a bunch of people...but smack down on our 2 mintue offense at the end of games... I was on the AIM with Dasel and said "I'll be you my life this drive goes no more than four plays"... I mean when is the last time we have driven down to tie or win a game? I dont even put this on Campbell, because I honest to god can't remember the last time anyone in the orginazation did... I mean its just crazy... really not a whole lot of smack, but I just had to say that.
i was saying the same thing while watching. then fox puts up a graphic that says Campbell has 7 fourth quarter comebacks in his career. when did they happen? i didnt know practice counted
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #28
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i was saying the same thing while watching. then fox puts up a graphic that says Campbell has 7 fourth quarter comebacks in his career. when did they happen? i didnt know practice counted
Well the 4th quarter is 15 minutes long, it's not just the final two minutes.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #29
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,350
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Definitely, definitely it was the playcalling that killed us on Sunday...Im confused was Zorn calling plays or was Lewis
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,443
Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Eagles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I completely agree with you on this point. I came away from the game with the feeling that Zorn really let his players down by not trusting them enough to go for it at that point. Had we scored a touchdown there, I think we probably would have won the game.

I find it interesting that it was Vinny's intent to replace Zorn as the play-caller, yet Zorn took over the play-calling at this critical juncture and, IMO, blew the game.

To me, Zorn's taking control of play-calling at key points in this game to poor effect and his conservative coaching decisions in the Cowboys game, which I think contributed to that loss, have sealed his fate. After these two painful division losses, there's little doubt left in my mind that Zorn will be fired at the end of the season.


I think they should just fire the guy right now. At this point why wait? They've got a playcaller so just go ahead do it. This way they can get a head start on talking to Shanahan.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34028 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25