Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


So Who's the MVP?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #31
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,220
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Damn what a crazy game
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #32
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: So Who's the MVP?

manning, brees, johnson
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,005
Re: So Who's the MVP?

I agree with Schneed on Chris Johnson, he definitely deserves more love than he's getting. Maybe he'll start to get it if they keep winning. He's just straight up nasty.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,436
Re: So Who's the MVP?

as much as i hate favre, i think its him and brees for the co-mvp
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
artmonkforhallofamein07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston , SC
Posts: 4,711
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Bret Farve. Not really close in my opinion. The Vikes would not be this good without #4.
__________________
Robert Griffin III welcome to the Washington Redskins!

Year 1 - NFC EAST Champions at 10-6

Year 2 - 3-10... Benched 14 weeks to late.....

Year 3 - Pure Awesomeness!!

http://site.fandangoracinginc.com/
artmonkforhallofamein07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #36
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,331
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I agree with Schneed on Chris Johnson, he definitely deserves more love than he's getting. Maybe he'll start to get it if they keep winning. He's just straight up nasty.
Yeah he commands 8 defenders devoted to stopping him, because if he gets ANY space at all he'll find a way to break it. You've got to smother him before he gets a chance to breathe.

IMO he's the whole reason Vince Young looks at all competent right now. I don't think Young is doing anything special, but talking heads are kissing his ass because he's extending the play and making smart decisions.

There are tons of QBs in the NFL capable of that, especially when 8 defenders are looking run first.

6 straight games of 125 yards or more, only Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson have done that. On pace for 2000 yards, that's only been done 4 times.

Barry Sanders holds the NFL record in the SB era for yards per carry in a single season, his 1997 season in which he broke 2000 yards. He ran for 6.1 per carry. Johnson currently sits at 6.4.

If he keeps this up, you can make the case that this is the best season by any NFL running back in the SB era.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #37
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,714
Re: So Who's the MVP?

It's got to be a toss up between brees and manning. minn was still a playoff team w/out farve. if you take manning and brees off their teams they might win 7-8 games.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #38
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Could be another co-MVP year with Manning and Brees.
You nailed it. I think it will be co-MVPs. Either Brees and Manning or Brees and Johnson.

If the Titans slip into the playoffs, even if Vince Young is largely responsible, I just don't see how Chris Johnson doesn't at least get a co-MVP honor.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #39
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Bret Farve. Not really close in my opinion. The Vikes would not be this good without #4.
sounds like he's a team MVP then

maybe comeback player, but maybe that should go to VY.. trying to remember who else I had on this list but it's escaping me
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #40
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: So Who's the MVP?

On a side, but related note, it seem like every other year we're talking about a different running back. Last year it was Peterson, couple of years back it was LT, this year Chris Johnson is running wild.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #41
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah he commands 8 defenders devoted to stopping him, because if he gets ANY space at all he'll find a way to break it. You've got to smother him before he gets a chance to breathe.

IMO he's the whole reason Vince Young looks at all competent right now. I don't think Young is doing anything special, but talking heads are kissing his ass because he's extending the play and making smart decisions.

There are tons of QBs in the NFL capable of that, especially when 8 defenders are looking run first.

6 straight games of 125 yards or more, only Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson have done that. On pace for 2000 yards, that's only been done 4 times.

Barry Sanders holds the NFL record in the SB era for yards per carry in a single season, his 1997 season in which he broke 2000 yards. He ran for 6.1 per carry. Johnson currently sits at 6.4.

If he keeps this up, you can make the case that this is the best season by any NFL running back in the SB era.
there is a flaw in this logic. because Collins, for the first 6 games looked anything but capable. and he also had Johnson right beside him
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #42
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That last TD that Brees threw to Meachem was one of the best throws I've seen all year. A "dime" as Trent Dilfer would say.
The one he threw over the middle to the receiver who was blanketed by the defender was particularly impressive as well.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #43
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
On a side, but related note, it seem like every other year we're talking about a different running back. Last year it was Peterson, couple of years back it was LT, this year Chris Johnson is running wild.
yep.. mostly a QB league though

Alexander and LT did win it back to back though so I feel that Johnson should get serious consideration
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #44
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah he commands 8 defenders devoted to stopping him, because if he gets ANY space at all he'll find a way to break it. You've got to smother him before he gets a chance to breathe.

IMO he's the whole reason Vince Young looks at all competent right now. I don't think Young is doing anything special, but talking heads are kissing his ass because he's extending the play and making smart decisions.

There are tons of QBs in the NFL capable of that, especially when 8 defenders are looking run first.

6 straight games of 125 yards or more, only Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson have done that. On pace for 2000 yards, that's only been done 4 times.

Barry Sanders holds the NFL record in the SB era for yards per carry in a single season, his 1997 season in which he broke 2000 yards. He ran for 6.1 per carry. Johnson currently sits at 6.4.

If he keeps this up, you can make the case that this is the best season by any NFL running back in the SB era.
I disagree, I think, with the framing of Johnson's season in a historical context. Johnson's best attribute may be his patience, it's what allows them to break those 30 yard chunks off against whatever front he sees.

But the problem is that Johnson, even this year, is not a great player at the line of scrimmage, as evidenced by his 42% success rate on carries this year. I wish I had the advanced information at my fingertips, and I don't, but the median Chris Johnson run this year is something like 3 yards, which is pretty standard, not anything spectacular.

What Chris Johnson has been this year is a brutally fantastic finisher of runs. When he gets through the second level to that sideline, he outruns everyone on the field. It's ridiculous. He can do it with power too, as I've seen him run over safeties trying to stop him short of the first down marker.

The other thing that makes Johnson's MVP case less-than-stellar is that he hasn't offered much as a receiver in addition to his long runs. He had that one 69 yard reception two weeks ago or whatever, but outside of that, he does have a minor case of the butterfingers out of the backfield.

Again, I think anyone could make a really strong case that Johnson has been the most valuable running back in the NFL this year, and starting with the obscene yards per carry figure, that'd be a hard case to beat. I'm not even going to try to act like I can disprove a case that Johnson is the best runner in the NFL right now, even if I don't necessarily think that.

I would just think that if we're talking about him as MVP, the separation between him and others: Steven Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, and particularly Ray Rice is pretty minimal upon further review. If you use YPC, Johnson is clearly the best. Combining everything we have though, he's probably still the best runner, but there are better receivers out there who are also having really great rushing seasons.

As awesome as he's been every week, Johnson's air is hardly rarefied.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #45
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,983
Re: So Who's the MVP?

Right now it ain't even close...it's Drew Brees. If Vince young takes the Titans to the playoffs he is the MVP. I mean having Chris Johnson helps but it didn't seem to help while they were losing 6 games in a row. Clearly Young is the x-factor not Johnson!
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30244 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25